Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Hey - Why do P-51 mustangs whistle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

Because you touch yourself at night.

Actually I think it is the guns that cause it.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

SwimNurd posted:

Because you touch yourself at night.

I thought that's what made DC-10s crash?

SwimNurd posted:

Actually I think it is the guns that cause it.

Yup, at higher speeds (dives and pullouts) the gunports catch enough air to make the characteristic whistle. I think if the ports are empty (no gun/replica barrel) then it is even more pronounced.

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

Captain Apollo posted:

Hey - Why do P-51 mustangs whistle?

This came up several pages ago. No one knows.

The two leading theories are the inboard gun ports and the doghouse. I'm more in favor of the latter because Mustangs at Reno (like PM) whistle and have no gun ports.

Other ideas that often come up but are less sound (ha) are the NACA port and the supercharger.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
They whistle because they're happy. They're happy because they're Mustangs.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I thought Mustangs Whinny, not Whistle!

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...

The engines and other steel hardware might be toast but the airframes should be okay. Aluminum oxide is a much more effective passivation layer than rust.

Edit: So a little research reveals that aircraft alloys typically have low corrosion resistance and require coating, but surely they must be more robust than the typical vehicle frame. Perhaps just wishful thinking.

dayman fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Oct 18, 2012

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

dayman posted:

The engines and other steel hardware might be toast but the airframes should be okay. Aluminum oxide is a much more effective passivation layer than rust.

Edit: So a little research reveals that aircraft alloys typically have low corrosion resistance and require coating, but surely they must be more robust than the typical vehicle frame. Perhaps just wishful thinking.

I'm going to generalize a bit here, but most aircraft structures are built from clad aluminum alloy. The cladding is pure aluminum, forming a sacrificial oxide coating. It's great, as long as there are no surface imperfections, and as long as we're talking about an infinitely large flat sheet. The moment it has edges, holes, or any other material poked through it (bolts, rivets, etc,) aluminum alloy becomes incredibly corrosion-prone.

Buried, in the godamned tropics? I'm not holding my breath. I'd love to see pictures that prove me wrong, though. Best of luck to them.

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

Blistex posted:

I thought that's what made DC-10s crash?

The DC-10 crashes because it is a DC-10 and the thought of that is enough to make any aircraft plow into a farm field.

Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

I don't like that dude... I don't like THAT DUDE!

Polymerized Cum posted:

The DC-10 crashes because it is a DC-10 and the thought of that is enough to make any aircraft plow into a farm field.

Hey now, stop hating on the DC-10... It's the only commercial aircraft I have any time on! Also, I'm going on one once Hajj stops.

Regardless, off to Datangshan today. Stand by for photos of Migs and Shenyangs parked right next to each other so that no one is sure which is which.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Polymerized Cum posted:

The first plane I ever flew on was a DC-10. It was 1990, it had ashtrays, and it smelled like cigarettes.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

VikingSkull posted:

The first plane I ever flew on was a DC-10. It was 1990, it had ashtrays, and it smelled like cigarettes.

I got to ride on a KC-10...fortunately, no cigarettes.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Haters gonna hate

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
So Red Flag is going on here up in Alaska. It's pretty cool what with all the international players and poo poo. It's like that scene in ID4 of all the nation's coming together to take down the alien ships.

Anyway, I AWAC'ed yesterday. Usually the airspace that is chopped out to us runs concurrent with aerial refueling tracks or the orbits of bombers. Earlier this year we shared some airspace with a B-52 which would get within 5-10 miles of us during the closest points of our orbits. Pretty eerie-looking aircraft to see flying. Just the proportions of it make it look spooky at high altitude.

Well yesterday I didn't get a repeat of that but got to see a four-ship of F'15's take gas from a KC-135 with a four-ship of F-16's moving in immediately after the Eagles topped off. Here are the photos!

F-16's are kinda hard to see but they're contrailing a bit in the back of the larger, clearer formation up front

Money shot right here.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

PainterofCrap posted:

Haters gonna hate

That's not a DC-10 :colbert:

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005
This is pretty wtf (warning, possibly graphic and Jihadtards). Posted over at Jalaopnik earlier, I'm not sure how long it'll last on YouTube before somebody gets offended and pulls it. I thought poo poo like this only happened in Hollywood

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTmRZn98XxI&t=16s

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

McDeth posted:

This is pretty wtf (warning, possibly graphic and Jihadtards). Posted over at Jalaopnik earlier, I'm not sure how long it'll last on YouTube before somebody gets offended and pulls it. I thought poo poo like this only happened in Hollywood

Syrian helicopter shot down by rebels is the story Google brings up on this - unconfirmed.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

MrChips posted:

I'm certainly interested to see what they've come up with. At the expense of sounding like one of the screeching teenagers from Airliners.net, I've thought for a while that American Airlines' current livery is pretty dated looking, and not in a good way.

Besides, it's basically standard airline business practice to redo your livery during/after bankruptcy.

AA painted their A300 fleet.

Ridge_Runner_5
May 26, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

McDeth posted:

I loved the cover story on that. The government's story said the helicopter collided with a civilian airliner, then flew back to base. The airliner crashed and killed everyone on board.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

McDeth posted:

Seems like a waste of ammunition to me. That helicopter was going down right from the first frame of the video.

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...

MrYenko posted:

I'm going to generalize a bit here, but most aircraft structures are built from clad aluminum alloy. The cladding is pure aluminum, forming a sacrificial oxide coating. It's great, as long as there are no surface imperfections, and as long as we're talking about an infinitely large flat sheet. The moment it has edges, holes, or any other material poked through it (bolts, rivets, etc,) aluminum alloy becomes incredibly corrosion-prone.

Buried, in the godamned tropics? I'm not holding my breath. I'd love to see pictures that prove me wrong, though. Best of luck to them.

You would think they would clad the pieces after they have been drilled for bolt holes. Aluminum oxide is corundum, also known as sapphire which is second only to diamond on the Mohr scale in hardness. It's also an excellent electrical insulator so you shouldn't see corrosion from dissimilar metals.

I would think the planes should be stable IF they did not get submerged. Like you said, hoping for no water infiltration in a place like Burma is probably just wishful thinking.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Pretty cool, a Air Canada 777 got a little SAR action near Australia. Maybe it's just stereotypes/my experience talking, but I feel like an American carrier would have either said no, not had enough fuel, or helped out and then promptly handed out reprimands to the entire crew of the plane.

:canada:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

dayman posted:

You would think they would clad the pieces after they have been drilled for bolt holes. Aluminum oxide is corundum, also known as sapphire which is second only to diamond on the Mohr scale in hardness. It's also an excellent electrical insulator so you shouldn't see corrosion from dissimilar metals.

I would think the planes should be stable IF they did not get submerged. Like you said, hoping for no water infiltration in a place like Burma is probably just wishful thinking.

In the center of this image, you can see the results of uncontrolled intragranular (exfoliation) corrosion, around the two rivet shop-heads.

I'd put dollars on this stemming from moisture getting between the rivet shank(s) and the stringer, either from age and stress widening the holes, or because the rivets were improperly bucked in the first place.

Airplanes corrode, just from ambient humidity, sitting on the ramp. It's only frequent, detailed inspections that keep them from failing in flight.

This is also why they get sent to the desert for storage.

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...

MrYenko posted:

In the center of this image, you can see the results of uncontrolled intragranular (exfoliation) corrosion, around the two rivet shop-heads.

I'd put dollars on this stemming from moisture getting between the rivet shank(s) and the stringer, either from age and stress widening the holes, or because the rivets were improperly bucked in the first place.

Airplanes corrode, just from ambient humidity, sitting on the ramp. It's only frequent, detailed inspections that keep them from failing in flight.

Message received. Chemically, aluminum is much more reactive than iron. I guess I just never made the connection that, because aircraft are clearly optimized for lightness and strength, they were so susceptible to corrosion.

So sad.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

MrYenko posted:

Another issue is that Spits used magnesium alloy for the rivets, it's not like they expected them to last for a long time. Galvanic series corrosion + 60 years = uh-oh.

It's not like they need more than the ID plate, though, so hopefully those will be intact.

Ridge_Runner_5
May 26, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

movax posted:

Pretty cool, a Air Canada 777 got a little SAR action near Australia. Maybe it's just stereotypes/my experience talking, but I feel like an American carrier would have either said no, not had enough fuel, or helped out and then promptly handed out reprimands to the entire crew of the plane.

:canada:

I doubt the FAA would even allow something similar to that.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Not to mention that there should to supposedly 50 or so of them, so hopefully they'll be able to rebuild at least one.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Ridge_Runner_5 posted:

I doubt the FAA would even allow something similar to that.

They actually would/do. Although generally speaking Australia has much more coastline, especially lightly inhabited coastline, so there's a higher chance of needing to do things like this instead of the use of Coast Guard/local shipping assets.

And of course, you dont want to put a civie A330 loaded with people into an unknown situation unless you really have to.

Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

I don't like that dude... I don't like THAT DUDE!
Off on an aviation tour of DPRK in a couple hours. Probably wont see the reply until I get back to civilisation but, I presume y'all want to see photos of even the most mundane plane related things from up there?

P.S Today's aircraft is P-881... also known as the IL-62 with the hat racks.

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

Powercube posted:

Off on an aviation tour of DPRK in a couple hours. Probably wont see the reply until I get back to civilisation but, I presume y'all want to see photos of even the most mundane plane related things from up there?

Oh mansies that's awesome. Tu-134s, Tu-154s and IL-62s please!

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Powercube posted:

What the... How'd you manage to fall into a thing like that? And yes, pictures please.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I've decided I love old US propoganda films. Pre-Vietnam US is such a different society than today...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHee8RzSctQ

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

HeyEng posted:

So Red Flag is going on here up in Alaska. It's pretty cool what with all the international players and poo poo. It's like that scene in ID4 of all the nation's coming together to take down the alien ships.

This isn't even that big of an exercise, honestly, especially compared to something like 12-2 back in June. It still is pretty funny to see everyone walking around at the parties in our hangar with patches from 5 different countries on their flight suits...in August my attire for the ENDEX party was a uniform blouse from the RAF with ABU pants, and in June it was an Australian blouse.

Were those the RSAF F-15s and F-16s?

And that ATTACK CARRIER video is pretty cool. The Vigi and Whale footage was nice, as was the footage of the Crusaders taking off with the variable incidence wing...along with all the archival footage from pre-WWII.

Mobius1B7R
Jan 27, 2008

Ridge_Runner_5 posted:

I loved the cover story on that. The government's story said the helicopter collided with a civilian airliner, then flew back to base. The airliner crashed and killed everyone on board.

Well one did have a midair with an Airbus....

http://www.avherald.com/h?article=45671063&opt=0

Ridge_Runner_5
May 26, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Mobius1B7R posted:

Well one did have a midair with an Airbus....

http://www.avherald.com/h?article=45671063&opt=0

Wow, that's really impressive.

Been ages since I kept up on aviation terminology. FL120 is 12,000ft, right?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
More or less.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

gibber posted:

Ardmore airport is about 15 minutes away from here. What a day! Lots of people turned out to see the Mosquito today, wonderful to see.

This is absolute sex :circlefap:

E:
This is the old Jeff Ethell (RIP) Mustang, no?

Boomer The Cannon fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Oct 20, 2012

Ridge_Runner_5
May 26, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4O8kaKMv_U

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Goddamn, at the 40 second mark I was sure I was about to see them all die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
I almost poo poo my pants.