Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Shaggar posted:

dont do an european startup cause they're all bound for failure in their failconomy

It's cool, we're about to crucify all the bankers, problem solved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

tef posted:

really i'm just trying to find a better option than "jump into another startup, watch it fuckup in slow motion". staying where I am will probably involve moving to a large corporation (amazon are hiring, heh).

If you find yourself a good boss things will be a lot better. Whenever I've had a good boss I liked my job even when I was doing boring poo poo. Whenever I had a bad boss I hated it even when I was doing interesting stuff.

Being a good manager is a learned skill, so founders who haven't ever managed anyone before are extremely unlikely to be good enough at it to avoid making your life lovely.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Zombywuf posted:

It's cool, we're about to crucify all the bankers, problem solved.

lol. loving bankers! its your fault our economies were based on doing nothing and infinite debt! you shouldnt have given us those loans if you were gonna ask for your money back!!

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

List of things Shaggar doesn't understand:

* programming
* economics

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
no thats the eu.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
What do you mean we have to pay our debts?!?!?!?!!!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
thats was free money given to we chosen people! do not taint us with your banker's lies!

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Shaggar posted:

ITYM some rich fuckers debts after they bought themselves a solid gold yacht.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Shaggar posted:

lol

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Shaggar posted:

seriously lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
tbh it should be super illegal to give out credit to people/businesses/countries that cant possibly pay it back.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Shaggar posted:

tbh it should be super illegal to give out credit to people/businesses/countries that cant possibly pay it back.

Yeah, gently caress people with pensions. Lending money to countries. Bastards.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Shaggar posted:

the idea that you don't have to always pay your debts is as old as history itself

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jubilee_(biblical)

also lol because the idea that you must always pay your debts runs completely counter to every economic principle ever espoused

if every debt is guaranteed then why is there interest? if every debt is guaranteed then what incentive do lendors have not to make bad decisions investing money?

just lol seriously

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

"there should be no such thing as risk" ———— literally shaggar just now

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
right. if theres no chance you can pay back the debt, then it shouldnt be issued. it only results in bubbles that bust when people realize the money has vanished.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

In other news, mongodb: http://snmaynard.com/2012/10/17/things-i-wish-i-knew-about-mongodb-a-year-ago/

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

quote:

You can control whether a query is run on secondaries and also how many secondaries are replicated to during the insert, but this will affect performance and could block forever in some cases!

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Shaggar posted:

right. if theres no chance you can pay back the debt, then it shouldnt be issued. it only results in bubbles that bust when people realize the money has vanished.

lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

WHOIS John Galt posted:

"there should be no such thing as risk" ———— literally shaggar just now

idk you know what risk means. risk can be controlled and measured. big ticket item loans (houses,cars,etc...) are easiest to asses and you would be a fool to grant loans to someone you knew had no chance to pay them back. this is what happened in the us housing market. you would have banks continue to produce bad loans?

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Shaggar posted:

This is called fractional reserve banking. It's been around forever. It's basically why a lot of cultures banned usury. It's probably why the Templars were killed.

It is the mainstay of our economy.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

lol. euros dont understand risk.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
"the [entity] should give us free money. our kids can worry about paying it back" -boomers, euros, and other various scum.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
man, i don't want to get all david graeber in here, but this book is loving awesome

http://amzn.com/1612191290

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

Shaggar posted:

idk you know what risk means. risk can be controlled and measured. big ticket item loans (houses,cars,etc...) are easiest to asses and you would be a fool to grant loans to someone you knew had no chance to pay them back. this is what happened in the us housing market. you would have banks continue to produce bad loans?

tbh there was more to the crisis than the banks just giving bad loans. the system worked so long as house prices didn't fall, and even then when the bubble burst it still wouldn't be the end of the world, but it was becoz of the amount of leverage the banks had (30:1 borrowed money to operating capital lmfao. any slight drop in the value of the assets purchased with the borrowed money would make the organisation bankrupt). compounded on all the illegal poo poo that happened on wall street (like the misselling of blatently bad securities as AAA), it made for a p.bad situation.

X-BUM-RAIDER-X fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Oct 18, 2012

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
and after all of this poo poo happened, the US still believes that laissez faire economics is a good idea. n1

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

Shaggar posted:

it's as if risk wasnt controlled or measured during the housing boom :wth:

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

y.yo..you mean if i make bad loans i can't guarantee ill get my money back?? :eek:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

OBAMA BIN LOADIN posted:

tbh there was more to the crisis than the banks just giving bad loans. the system worked so long as house prices didn't fall, and even then when the bubble burst it still wouldn't be the end of the world, but it was becoz of the amount of leverage the banks had (30:1 borrowed money to operating capital lmfao. any slight drop in the value of the assets purchased with the borrowed money would make the organisation bankrupt). compounded on all the illegal poo poo that happened on wall street (like the misselling of blatently bad securities as AAA), it made for a p.bad situation.

right, but the wide availibility of cash artificially inflated the price of homes and fueled the bubble. without those bad loans being issued there would probably still have been a collapse, but the effects would have been much less of a problem.

i guess they might could have found another mechanism for creating the new investment vehicles they wanted, but alot of banks kind of took it on faith that housing was solid and reliable and they looked the other way when maybe they would take a harder look at some newer thing.

either way limiting credit availability and limiting leverage ratios are both good ideas.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

jooky posted:

it's as if risk wasnt controlled or measured during the housing boom :wth:

the control in this case was supposed to be the banks going out of business. lol.

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

Shaggar posted:

the control in this case was supposed to be the banks going out of business. lol.

yes i agree. see: iceland.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
guys guys guys

can we just let shaggar be shaggar and get back to talking about how im at a difficult crossroads in my career and am also pretty depressed about the whole thing?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
rotor u should get a new job

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
unfortunately banks were only able to get such a high leverage ratio as a result of the deregulation of the financial market over a long period of time, and i doubt the us government are going to reintroduce any strict regulations anytime soon.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Shaggar posted:

rotor u should get a new job

man i just got a new job

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
Inside Job is a p.good film documentary and a good starting point for anyone looking to understand the financial crisis

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1645089/

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

OBAMA BIN LOADIN posted:

Inside Job is a p.good film documentary and a good starting point for anyone looking to understand the financial crisis

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1645089/

dude, come on

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

rotor posted:

guys guys guys

can we just let shaggar be shaggar and get back to talking about how im at a difficult crossroads in my career and am also pretty depressed about the whole thing?

stop spending money and retire or something idk

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

rotor posted:

man i just got a new job

get two

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

rotor posted:

man i just got a new job

look on the bright side. you have a boy and a waifu and stable, responsible finances. programming sucks when it turns into scrubgramming but so does anything :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies
cnc the yosvape rotor, you and johnny can live like kings

or at least choom like kings

or maybe burn down your house, idk