Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin

the wizards beard posted:

If you're not too concerned with flipping it for profit you should just remove the power connector and drill out the cae for a Boss-style one.

Not a bad idea actually, thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES
I just got an Ibanez RGA8!

Looks like theres a little assembly here...

I plan on throwing in a set of Dimarzio Dactivators, 5 way switch and some fancy wiring. If I feel up to it later on I'm going to strip it down and paint it and the headstock white. I've missed having an 8 string in my life.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Just a heads up for Ausgoons, Allans Billy Hyde has upped the discounts from 25% to 40% but they're no longer doing online sales. So if you want to possibly get something neat then now's probably good. Bit disappointed I got my guitar only 25% off but I didn't really want to risk them not having any in stock.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

syntaxfunction posted:

Just a heads up for Ausgoons, Allans Billy Hyde has upped the discounts from 25% to 40% but they're no longer doing online sales. So if you want to possibly get something neat then now's probably good. Bit disappointed I got my guitar only 25% off but I didn't really want to risk them not having any in stock.

Everything good is gone. Mid-Level\Entry level stuff is still there, but everything else has been grabbed.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Finally caved. I missed the presale on the first run, but someone on Talkbass was selling an etched one so I jumped on it.

First impressions:
Like a Big Muff, but with more gain and added bass.
The tone works backwards compared to a normal muff, and cuts off a lot way more high end and once you get past 12 o'clock you lose most definition.
Getting the pre-gain/drive balanced will take some time.
The recommended "Heliotropic" settings are way off, too boomy and overdone. Dialing back the settings gets pretty close though.
LED is bright as the sun, and blue. Would like to swap it with an amber one.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.
I bought a 2nd hand LTD M-250 probably 10 years ago and 5 or 6 years ago I swapped in an EMG-81 in the bridge without doing anything to keep the other two non-active pickups functional since at the time I was just playing punk rock and didn't give 2 shits about using either the middle or neck pickups. The wiring for the 81 recently developed a problem and I figured that since I was using more of the full range of tones on my other guitars that I should give the old workhorse an overhaul. My other main guitar is a Fender Lead II with single coils and I'm liking that sound a lot lately so I wanted to do something that had a bit of that character but still had the thickness of a humbucker. I've also been playing around a lot with some soft wide tones and thought I might give a P-90 a shot. I sort of plagiarized a bit of Manky's setup and threw in my own twist.

I put a GFS Mean 90 in the bridge, a bridge-position GFS 5.55K single in the middle position, and a GFS Loudmouth in the bridge and wired it to a push-pull 500K volume pot for coil tap. I'm running a 47uF cap on the tone knob so it's pretty usable. It's kind of a schizophrenic frankenstein with a lot of different capabilities and I'm still getting the hang of it, but so far I like it a lot. Much more versatile than a single EMG-81 for sure. I'm going to swap out the white pu cover for a black one, or maybe just remove it all together since the underlying is black.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
New amp a'comin!

http://www.fourforce.us/
http://www.mmrmagazine.com/5759/archives/august-2012/forcing-the-issue-four-force-amps/

Check the video demo at
http://www.premierguitar.com/Video/20120713/1973/Summer_NAMM_12_Four_Force_Amps_EM_1_Demo.aspx

Not bad for $120. And apparently before it's available in stores.

Edit: Hey, himajinga! I've been planning on putting a Bigmouth in my Canvas. How's the Loudmouth?

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Thorpe posted:

I just got an Ibanez RGA8!

Looks like theres a little assembly here...

I plan on throwing in a set of Dimarzio Dactivators, 5 way switch and some fancy wiring. If I feel up to it later on I'm going to strip it down and paint it and the headstock white. I've missed having an 8 string in my life.

Why did you get it disassembled? And where from?

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.

Warcabbit posted:

Edit: Hey, himajinga! I've been planning on putting a Bigmouth in my Canvas. How's the Loudmouth?

I really like it so far, it's hot, but not totally insane, it has great response and is really clear sounding, and coil tapped it is really clear and warm. Not jangly like my mid pickup, but more defined or something. Way more character and versatility than my 81, but that's not saying much I guess haha.

Scottish Uncle
May 15, 2011

"You're alright, Harry."

Picked this up for £200 with a hard case, all set up. It has a great surf tone and spanks better than a fender! :D

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES

TyChan posted:

Why did you get it disassembled? And where from?

Bought it used this way for a killer price. Plus I don't like active pickups so it makes it easier to get everything all situated, and it gives me the further excuse to spend way to much time sandpapering the body and learning how to paint things

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Scottish Uncle posted:

Picked this up for £200 with a hard case, all set up. It has a great surf tone and spanks better than a fender! :D

I'm not familiar with that brand. Radio...tone? That's a very full pickguard. Kinda Dano-ish.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It looks like a Godin.

VVV Yeah godins are fantastic and crazy cheap, it's a great company.

muike fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Oct 18, 2012

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Godin Radiator. Good looking guitar.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
OH! Right. Godin Radiator. I thought Radiator was the brand name. I don't know the Radiators, but Godins are awesome, but heavy as hell.

Good deal, good buy.

communistdew
Sep 11, 2005
Where do we light our cigars with dollah bills?

Scottish Uncle posted:

God I fixed the input jack for a friend who has one of those and took it for a test drive while I was at it. It's a lovely piece of machinery.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

communistdew posted:

God I fixed the input jack for a friend who has one of those and took it for a test drive while I was at it. It's a lovely piece of machinery.

I like Godins but that is way too much mother of toilet seat for my liking.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It makes me think of grandmas for some reason. Not in the gilf way but still in a good way.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

muike posted:

It makes me think of grandmas for some reason. Not in the gilf way but still in a good way.

Grandmas always have those nice soft padded toilet seats that are super-duper white trash but then you sit on one and wonder "Why aren't all toilet seats nice and soft and warm like this?"

communistdew
Sep 11, 2005
Where do we light our cigars with dollah bills?

HollisBrown posted:

I like Godins but that is way too much mother of toilet seat for my liking.

Well now, I didn't try sitting on it...

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

We think they're great. In a grand, mystical, neopolitical sense, these guys have a real message in their music. They don't, however, have neat names like me and Bono.

Warcabbit posted:

New amp a'comin!

That thing looks like a space heater.

Sadsack
Mar 5, 2009

Fighting evil with cups of tea and crippling self-doubt.
Hooray, hooray, it's new guitar day!

A Squier Vintage Modified Mustang

(Sorry for state of my carpet)

I tried a Japanese 'stang a while a go and fell in love. The short scale, and lightweight were perfect for my emaciated upper body. Unfortunately I didn't have 700 quid to spend on a new guitar.

The Squier though was only £250, and is a pretty close reproduction. Apart from a poorly cut scratchplate and a trem system that's the work of the devil it's not half bad at all.

It's very much a rhythm guitar. The frets above the 14th are just for show rather than actual playing

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Walter posted:

That thing looks like a space heater.

Everyone says that. But don't you tilt your monitor back so you can hear it anyhow?

Sonic H
Dec 8, 2004

Me love you long time
Just bought this beast as my original practice/travel amp was poo poo and came as part of a starter set.

And I loves it. Fantastic sound, weighs gently caress all and has a decent set of simple effects built in. Uses battery or mains which is very useful for traveling.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Sonic H posted:

And I loves it. Fantastic sound, weighs gently caress all and has a decent set of simple effects built in. Uses battery or mains which is very useful for traveling.

I have the Bass RX and honestly I never plug it in - just get some good rechargeables (I put some Recyko in there, they have slow drain) and you're good to go!

Sonic H
Dec 8, 2004

Me love you long time

baka kaba posted:

I have the Bass RX and honestly I never plug it in - just get some good rechargeables (I put some Recyko in there, they have slow drain) and you're good to go!

How long do they last on average? Got a pile of Energiser Rechargables and I'm away on Business a lot, so knowing that will be very useful :)

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Mine takes 6 AA, with a few hours a day or so I get a week or two out of them? I don't usually have it cranked, just a casual practice/playing-to-music volume, but I don't feel like I have to charge them that often. Mine are 2100mAh Recykos, which is GP's low-drain brand, so if yours don't seem to last it might be worth trying them or Eneloop or Energizer Extreme or whatever!

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
One thing to be aware of when using batteries is if they're not fully seated the noise of them vibrating can wind up amplified. Nothing a piece of foam in the compartment or a tap on the batteries won't fix though.

no dad im not gay!
Jan 30, 2007

FancyMike posted:

I have a Novak WRHB in my baritone jazzmaster and it is incredible. The problem is I don't play guitar in a band right now, just bass and baritone, so it might be hard to justify another Novak in the near future. Luckily I'm not really in a hurry either. I know Novak puts them in a standard humbucker sized route, and it actually looks like GFS does too. But I have no idea about the quality of the GFS ones and I've never actually played a Lollar pickup. Going elsewhere I'd be more than willing to route out for a larger pickup, this guitar was a gift that I don't think I'll ever be able to justify selling so might as well make it into something I really like.

Another direction I might try first is a humbucker sized P90 but I have basically no real experience with those.

I've purchased maybe 4 or 5 different GFS pickups and suggested twice that number to clients and friends looking for aftermarket pickups -- the only GFS pickup I was ever disappointed with was their Hot PAF humbucker, and that was simply because it was too hot and distorted my amp too quick. Sounded great though. At 30 dollars though, even if you don't end up liking their WRHB equivalent you can justify writing off the cost.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
Mustangsssss yessss

They are totally usable on the upper frets, though. :colbert:

Two tips on the trem: One, you can make it stiffer! If you pull it and look inside, the springs loop around two posts attached to the string bar. If you move the strings farther up the posts, it'll get stiffer (and, in effect, more stable). If you decide it's still terrible and your guitar won't stay in tune, you can block the trem by removing the springs and placing a couple washers between the string bar and trem base plate, like this. Instant hardtail! I replaced the posts on mine with screws, but I imagine you could just use the posts.

DiscoDickTease
Mar 19, 2009

Hi, boys and girls, I'm Jimmy Carl Black, and I'm the Indian of the group!
Well today I found out a Marshall 1987xl is for sale at a ridiculous price and I immediately put it on hold. I haven't even had my Orange TH-30 for a year yet and I should be able to do a straight trade. I really liked the cleans on my Orange but the distortion just sounded too buzzy to me. I rented a 1987xl 6 years for a week and I still say it was best amp I ever heard. I was exactly what I wanted and now thanks to dumb luck I shall have one in my hands tomorrow afternoon!

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Winner of the 'How Badly Will A Phone Game Milk Us Idiot Cash Cows?' Contest!

Answer: About $70USD for a bad character that unlocks the grind for another.

extra letters: star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-l
Well, it took a bit longer than expected, but I finally got my custom Crystal Dagger from Blackout Effectors.

Holy poo poo, this thing slots into my chain just perfectly. I was borrowing a friend's Ring Stinger earlier this year, and it was just too drat much - too many options, not enough musical sounds for me. The ring mod side to the Dagger is a little bit of a cheat - it's an OTA circuit (think Small Stone or a pared-down Blackout Whetstone) ,so I find it really easy to dial in tones more like a vibrato than any ring mod I've ever played.

It gets really wild with the octave fuzz engaged, though - I get the feeling I'm gonna use that octave tone quite a bit for leads and crazy-rear end textures.

Aside from my M13, my pedal board is almost entirely Blackout Effectors or smallsound/bigsound, and I am AOK with that.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Yesterday was a good day.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It is not my style at all but I can't help but love the way those look.

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?
Melon "Weed" Dude 1936 - 2011
Rest in peace, you shitposting bastard.
Ugggg. When I see black and tort, I just can't control myself.

2005 Cyclone with no previous owner (new slightly old stock?). Should be a little hotter than my HH Jag but I haven't plugged her in yet to find out for sure.

no dad im not gay!
Jan 30, 2007

RetardedRobots posted:

Ugggg. When I see black and tort, I just can't control myself.

2005 Cyclone with no previous owner (new slightly old stock?). Should be a little hotter than my HH Jag but I haven't plugged her in yet to find out for sure.

Don't know the specs on the HH Jag's humbuckers but the bridge humbucker in Cyclones are Fender's Atomic Humbucker, which IIRC, is somewhere in the 12-13k region. Really hot.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
I just bit the bullet and purchased a Jeff Tweedy SG.

It will be here Monday.

:D

Zuhzuhzombie!! fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Oct 26, 2012

W424
Oct 21, 2010
Jesus.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
^^^

Im pretty excited for a Monday to get here.

muike posted:

It looks like a Godin.

VVV Yeah godins are fantastic and crazy cheap, it's a great company.

Underrated company too. I keep thinking about getting a nice guitar to learn some speed/thrash stuff. Godin will probably be the learner guitar I pick up to do so.

Zuhzuhzombie!! fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Oct 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

I just bit the bullet and purchased a Jeff Tweedy SG.

It will be here Monday.

:D

That's an absolute beaut. Congrats!

(ps, image leech, reported)