Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie

I love the way the colours have striped, that's gorgeous.

I am THIS - - close to finishing Queen of Diamonds. 3/4 of the way through the bind off row, after fudging the last few rows in an attempt to NOT run out of wool, and guess what happened? I had an extra ball on it's way but got impatient and wanted it off the needles. That will teach me.

So, since I have two essays to write and shouldn't even be thinking about knitting, I cast on for two new projects, Grenadine in cheap wool to test out the pattern, and a Twisted Vine Neckwarmer in my leftover Malabrigo. If it looks nice, it will probably be my mother's Christmas present, thus solving my last present dilemma.

This is Grenadine so far:

If it looks nice, I'm going to knit it again in Manos del Uruguay Stratus:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Socks are fairly easy to knit, but they can take forever. If you want to try out something simple, you can do legwarmers or yoga socks first. I've made these ones with some scrap yarn and it was pretty easy. They're nice for keeping cozy without the icky feeling you sometimes get from wearing socks too long. I like wearing them to bed in winter, too.

For cheap sock yarn, hit up Michael's if you have one in the area. They have a decent sock yarn from their store brand that runs about $6 a skein. Colorways are pretty weird though, and I think they only have self-striping colors. Still, it's not bad for merino blend, and it works up nice on US size 2 or 3 needles.

El Sprongo
Jul 30, 2008
So I didn't think this was worth a new thread,my google fu turns out to be weak, and I don't have a plat account for searches. This appeared to be the first relevant thread I could find.
Last weekend, my wife found a knitting needle in a local thrift store that is, well, confusing.

I did numerous searches involving the Aero company and knitting needles with springs attached. We're at a loss. What the hell is this thing and what is it for? If I need to take this to another thread, let me know.

El Sprongo fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Oct 8, 2012

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Looks like of like this? http://www.etsy.com/listing/89594790/aero-stitch-holder-with-cap-secured-by

Missing a cap though, but if that's what it is, it's for holding stitches that need to be kept live but not knitted with.

El Sprongo
Jul 30, 2008

neongrey posted:

Looks like of like this? http://www.etsy.com/listing/89594790/aero-stitch-holder-with-cap-secured-by

Missing a cap though, but if that's what it is, it's for holding stitches that need to be kept live but not knitted with.

That looks like it might be it. So the spring was for securing the other cap (which we do not have, but I bet I can rig one up if she wants me to). Thank you so very much, oh knitting sage.

ackapoo
Nov 15, 2007

fun leads to abortions!
Thanks for the tip about synthrapol...I washed my cowl in it this morning and the water turned BRIGHT green. Soooo much dye! It's drying now...we'll see if it bleeds or rubs off anymore.

[nvm about question I had...I think I have the ball rolling on the shawl, but we'll see if it still works when I get to the other end!)

ackapoo fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Oct 14, 2012

DJJustice
Sep 7, 2006

UNTOPPSABLE
Is there an app for other tablets that's as good as Knit Companion in the Apple Store?

Nione
Jun 3, 2006

Welcome to Trophy Island
Rub my tummy
Hey knitting thread!

Has anyone knitted one of those giant pouf footstools before? My brother and SIL are pregnant and they really want one to go in front of the rocking chair. It's going to be their Christmas present from me, they're paying for the yarn and I'm doing the knitting. I'm going to get some 15 circular needles tonight and get started this weekend and with the size of the yarn and the needles I'm hoping it won't take me very long. If anyone has any advice, I'd love to hear it.

I've only knitted on circular needles once before, to make a cat bed, and it turned out alright, although I much prefer DPNs. Outside of paying attention to what I'm doing, is there a trick to keeping your knitting from turning itself inside out when you put it down and then knitting the rest of your project backwards? (My cat bed is knitted about halfway up and then purled the rest of the way.)

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Nione posted:

Hey knitting thread!

Has anyone knitted one of those giant pouf footstools before? ...

Never knitting a project that large before, but have you thought about using rope instead of yarn, and maybe dying that? I think that might be way less tearing-my-hair-out than knitting multiple yarns together.

You'll also need to figure out what to stuff it with if you haven't already. Regular plush toy stuffing won't really cut it. Maybe some foam?

For making sure it stays the right side out either mark it with knitting markers or use a stitch holding pin to pin it to itself. Kinda like folding up a scarf as you knit along.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Nione posted:

I've only knitted on circular needles once before, to make a cat bed, and it turned out alright, although I much prefer DPNs. Outside of paying attention to what I'm doing, is there a trick to keeping your knitting from turning itself inside out when you put it down and then knitting the rest of your project backwards? (My cat bed is knitted about halfway up and then purled the rest of the way.)

Hm, Never had that problem exactly, but I have accidentally held my knitting backwards while I was learning, resulting in a single row of purls in the middle of my knits. A good thing to remember is that the working yarn should always rest on the right hand needle and you always knit right to left (unless you're a crazy lefty, I guess). The needles should be in front, and the loop behind them.

Nione
Jun 3, 2006

Welcome to Trophy Island
Rub my tummy

Mizufusion posted:

Hm, Never had that problem exactly, but I have accidentally held my knitting backwards while I was learning, resulting in a single row of purls in the middle of my knits. A good thing to remember is that the working yarn should always rest on the right hand needle and you always knit right to left (unless you're a crazy lefty, I guess). The needles should be in front, and the loop behind them.

Yeah, I just need to pay attention. And I'm going to pin it together like Wedemeyer suggested. That seems like a good idea anyway.

Wedemeyer posted:

Never knitting a project that large before, but have you thought about using rope instead of yarn, and maybe dying that? I think that might be way less tearing-my-hair-out than knitting multiple yarns together.

You'll also need to figure out what to stuff it with if you haven't already. Regular plush toy stuffing won't really cut it. Maybe some foam?

We thought about rope, but since it's for a nursery, we wanted it to be soft to also function as a cushion/seat when the baby is older. Also, the rope was going to be more expensive than the yarn and dyeing things is a pain in the rear end. We've got fat yarn and I'm only doing two strands, which I've done before, so it shouldn't be that bad. It's essentially just slightly larger in circumference than the cat bed I did (about 48") and then 3-4x as tall.

For stuffing, the tentative plan is to use a comforter and old blankets. We're going to see how that works. I'm sewing one end closed permanently, and I'm closing the other end using a loop of yarn and a button so she can un-stuff it and wash it as needed. If that doesn't work we're going to look into finding an old bean bag, sewing a pouch to hold the polystyrene beads, and filling it with that. I guess foam cushions would be step #3, but they get expensive when you need large ones of certain sizes, and they want it to be round, not a column.

Edit: God, she also wants a hat, I'm helping her sew curtains this weekend, and I found a cable knitted bedspread that I desperately need for my bed. This pouf is the last thing I'm making for someone else for a while. I need to knit something (bedspread!!) for me!

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs

Nione posted:

For stuffing, the tentative plan is to use a comforter and old blankets. We're going to see how that works. I'm sewing one end closed permanently, and I'm closing the other end using a loop of yarn and a button so she can un-stuff it and wash it as needed. If that doesn't work we're going to look into finding an old bean bag, sewing a pouch to hold the polystyrene beads, and filling it with that. I guess foam cushions would be step #3, but they get expensive when you need large ones of certain sizes, and they want it to be round, not a column.

Edit: God, she also wants a hat, I'm helping her sew curtains this weekend, and I found a cable knitted bedspread that I desperately need for my bed. This pouf is the last thing I'm making for someone else for a while. I need to knit something (bedspread!!) for me!

If you're worried about circular knitting, just do a few practice rounds to get a feel for it. I love working with my denise set and the size 19 tips with some super bulky yarn. Goes so drat fast.

I do remember hearing great things about stuffing them with old comforters, blankets, etc. Could always hit up a goodwill, or pillow forms may be cheaper than a cushion. I've thought about knitting one, so I can't wait to hear how yours turns out.

I'm also on a ME DAMNIT MEEEE kick right now, before I have to do this huge afghan for a late wedding gift for my ungrateful brother. Currently working on a shawl while I visit with my grandfather to remember him by (stage 4 colon cancer is back, gave him 2 months 1 month ago), then I need a new set of hat, scarf and gloves. Alpaca is making me too itchy and the allergy doc couldn't test for it. I find the knitting more fun when it's for me than when I have to give it to someone else, heh.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
So, anybody at Rhinebeck?

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...
I wish I could be at Rhinebeck. I had to staff the farmer's market tent today, and frankly I'm too drat pregnant to do the wandering I'd want to do. Dammit.

TastesLikeChicken
Dec 30, 2007

Doesn't everything?

Andrias Scheuchzeri posted:

I wish I could be at Rhinebeck. I had to staff the farmer's market tent today, and frankly I'm too drat pregnant to do the wandering I'd want to do. Dammit.

SAFF is next weekend. I want to go sooooooooo badly.

http://www.saffsite.org/

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

~Rhinebeck Haul~

Full Moon Farm, Shepherd’s Mill, and Briar Rose Fibers. Plus Soak.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
I've actually picked up knitting over the weekend after my girlfriend taught me as a way to keep my hands busy so I don't bite my nails. I'm really enjoying it, which was kind of unexpected.

Just been to my local craft shop and bought a set of needles and some (pretty horrible looking) cheap yarn. The lady at the shop was really helpful, and kind of shocked that a 20-something student guy was even in the shop at all.

I've learned to cast on by knitting on, and knit (really unevenly), but I keep half dropping needles and having the yarn I'm working from get really loose or tight, because I've not got a proper grip on it. :( How am I meant to hold it?

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Surprise T Rex posted:

I've actually picked up knitting over the weekend after my girlfriend taught me as a way to keep my hands busy so I don't bite my nails. I'm really enjoying it, which was kind of unexpected.

Just been to my local craft shop and bought a set of needles and some (pretty horrible looking) cheap yarn. The lady at the shop was really helpful, and kind of shocked that a 20-something student guy was even in the shop at all.

I've learned to cast on by knitting on, and knit (really unevenly), but I keep half dropping needles and having the yarn I'm working from get really loose or tight, because I've not got a proper grip on it. :( How am I meant to hold it?

There's no one special way to hold it really, it's whatever is comfortable for you that gives a result you're happy with. Look up knitting videos on YouTube and you'll probably see dozens of different grips.

I hold the back ends of the needles with my ring and pinky fingers while manipulating the tips of the needles and the yarn with my thumbs and pointer fingers.

Awesome that you have a nice local yarn shop! And I think guys knitting rules :)

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Surprise T Rex posted:

Basically I prop up one needle that I'm transferring stitches by jamming it between my pants with my shirt tucked in so the needle doesn't actually slide down. Or I just lean it against something. Yeah I know it's weird.
How people usually do it is by sticking a needle into a stitch, holding both needles with their fingers while the yarn is being wrapped around before taking up the righthand needle and finishing the stitch.
At least, that's how I assume people do it. I never learned how to do it 'properly'. For tension just relax and wrap the yarn around the needle, don't pull on it constantly.

Also I do most of my knitting at home or in the back of a bus so yeah. Lastly these instructions are for right handed people. If you're southpaw I dunno.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

It really depends. I know a woman who keeps her needles pinned under her arm pit. She's pro at converting a circular pattern to flat because she hates circs.

If I'm using straights or dpns I usually rest the opposite end of the needle in my belt loop while knitting for balance. If I'm using circs, I pinch the needles lightly with my left hand while I loop the yarn (I tension with right hand).

Nione
Jun 3, 2006

Welcome to Trophy Island
Rub my tummy

Surprise T Rex posted:

It's one of those things that you pick up over time, really. My first scarf was knitted WAY too tightly, had holes all over it, and I managed to somehow increase several times. I taught my brother to knit and his first scarf is exactly the same, although I think he knitted his while drunk.

That's the good thing about knitting. You do it often enough and eventually it starts to feel 'right' (who cares how somebody else does it?). It's pretty easy to fix small mistakes and if you make a super big mistake, just unknit it and start again, no harm done.

That being said, which needle are you dropping? Are you knitting right handed? When I knit (right handed), the piece I'm knitting is on my left needle and that stays in my left hand always. When I insert my right hand needle into the stitch on the left, I use my left thumb to hold the tip of the right hand needle while I wrap the yarn around with my right hand. Now that I've gotten faster at knitting, my right hand is able to wrap the yarn around without really leaving the needle, but my left thumb is always there to keep the needle in place. I keep the yarn loosely wrapped around my right index finger so I don't drop it and to keep the tension correct.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
I think I knit the same way Nione does. Sometimes I prop one needle up in my lap if I'm purling on long needles, though. I originally learned how to knit with a cable cast-on. Never again. After that I started just knitting on, but now I do pretty much everything with twisted loop or long tail.

OxnardMontalvo
Oct 6, 2005

Poor devils.

Surprise T Rex posted:

:( How am I meant to hold it?

Whatever method works and doesn't stress out your wrists. It's difficult for me to explain how I do things without some visual examples, so I drew up a quick diagram. I'm left-handed and I hold my knitting like this(unless doing continental which I'm still learning):

Left hand is in a gentle tool-grip and right hand is like a loose conductor's baton. I hold the stitches down with my thumbs so they don't leap off the needles. I also grip the garment with the fingers on my left for added stability. For tension I wrap the yarn around my middle and ring finger once, but if it's too tight I just run it over them like shown. And anytime I set the needles down I scrunch everything down the needles as far as it'll go. Works well enough for me.

Still working on those socks...just got to the gusset on the first one. Whoever said they take forever wasn't kidding.

Peppercat
Mar 17, 2011

I'm a continental knitter (started out crocheting and couldn't make myself switch which hand holds the yarn). This is how I hold my left needle and the yarn. I don't wrap the yarn around my pinky like some do- I just weave it between my fingers. I just hold the needle in my right hand with my pinky and ring finger kind of cradling the needle.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
I wish I could get the hang of continental. It's supposed to be a bit faster and also I think easier on the wrists. I don't have any wrist issues, but since I both knit, and spin, and play the piano, and also my actual day job involves hand motion it seems like I should do everything I can to take care of them.

I can't tension yarn though. Like, I don't do it at all, none of that wrapping thing. I hold the actual working yarn strand between my thumb and forefinger.

Hmph.

TastesLikeChicken
Dec 30, 2007

Doesn't everything?

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

I wish I could get the hang of continental. It's supposed to be a bit faster and also I think easier on the wrists. I don't have any wrist issues, but since I both knit, and spin, and play the piano, and also my actual day job involves hand motion it seems like I should do everything I can to take care of them.

I can't tension yarn though. Like, I don't do it at all, none of that wrapping thing. I hold the actual working yarn strand between my thumb and forefinger.

Hmph.

I can't get the hang of continental either. My fingers just won't move that way, which is crazy because I knit and crochet both and I have no problem holding the yarn in my left and picking it with the crochet hook. :sigh:

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

TastesLikeChicken posted:

I can't get the hang of continental either. My fingers just won't move that way, which is crazy because I knit and crochet both and I have no problem holding the yarn in my left and picking it with the crochet hook. :sigh:

I used to crochet too, if you count knowing exactly two kinds of crochet stitch, I guess.

Hell, you'd think 20 years of piano lessons would give me some measure of dexterity in both hands? But no!

Peppercat
Mar 17, 2011

I love knitting continental, I just wish I could get the hang of English too because it would make color work so much more efficient, but alas I just take forever switching yarns because my brain won't make the connection :argh:

Avalinka
Nov 4, 2009

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

Hmph.

You're just like me! I was talking to my mum last weekend about how on earth you tension crochet (which I had just been teaching myself that week and was finding very hard) and she couldn't tell me (because she hasn't done it in ages). . . and then she said something that blew my mind. "I knit oddly too, though, because I drop the right needle to loop the wool around." I was so confused. What did she mean? I thought to myself. Doesn't everybody do that? Wait. . . do I do that? I had to put away the crochet and cast on something else to check.

And I do do it. I push the right needle into the stitch on the left, drop the right needle (except for my pinky and ring fingers) and loop the wool, tensioned between thumb and forefinger, then pick it back up to pull out the stitch. No wonder I have no loose tension issues.

Seriously, though. . . how do you tension it? How do you loop it? I'm going to stare at other knitters now. In amazement.

Oooh, and I have to add - I just got my first ever set of interchangeable circulars and they are amazing! I'd never had trouble just using cheap circs, but these are just so much nicer for magic looping up some socks. It helps I got some beautiful wool to make them with, but these circs - two days and I've almost done a sock.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS

I made a thing! It is wonderful, I am wearing it all the time. I have to reblock the collar because it isn't sitting right, but I just haven't had the chance or inspiration to do so. Soon...

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
So I got bored of making bits of fabric with no real purpose after learning to knit and purl, so I picked up a bit of nicer-looking yarn and I've started making a scarf. I intended for it to be ribbed, but I don't know if that's what I'm actually doing.

The pattern is
code:
K5 P10 K5 P5 K5 P10 K5
P5 K10 P5 K5 P5 K10 P5
It's sort of coming along alright, and there's definitely a pattern of some description. I just don't know if it's ribbed!

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Surprise T Rex posted:

So I got bored of making bits of fabric with no real purpose after learning to knit and purl, so I picked up a bit of nicer-looking yarn and I've started making a scarf. I intended for it to be ribbed, but I don't know if that's what I'm actually doing.

The pattern is
code:
K5 P10 K5 P5 K5 P10 K5
P5 K10 P5 K5 P5 K10 P5
It's sort of coming along alright, and there's definitely a pattern of some description. I just don't know if it's ribbed!

I think they're a bit too spaced out to be ribbing, but thats just me.

Phishi
May 13, 2006
The long and winding road....
So over the weekend I had someone from work clean my apartment as I am short on time/motivation, and she desperately needed some extra cash after shelling out big bucks for surgery for her dog, but... She broke my wood umbrella swift. :( My bad for not putting it away before she came, but... drat. :sigh: It's broken right in the middle of one of the sticks (on the umbrella part) too, I don't know if I can replace it.

Anybody have any experience with fixing these, or barring that, any good ideas on a replacement? I really like the look of the tabletop ones (and I'm honestly not a giant fan of the umbrella ones), not sure if there's any particularly good makers out there. I'd prefer not to break the bank, but I'm willing to save up a bit for something pretty since it will probably be out all the time.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
Is the part where it's broken one of the X-y "support parts" of the umbrella that holds it out, or one of the tongue depressor things that the yarn sits on when you wind it?

Phishi
May 13, 2006
The long and winding road....
Looks like one of the support bars.

Here's a close up of the broken bit.

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pictures, my old-rear end iPhone is all I've got for a camera!

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
You could try to glue it, but any glue that would hold that back together would also hold that metal pivot, so your swift wouldn't umbrella anymore. You could tie/tape/glue a popsicle stick over the break like a splint, keeping the glue away from that metal bit, and it would work for a little while until you got a new one.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
Like Amykinz said, a popsicle stick and some E-6000 over that would be your best bet. Just use as much of the surface of the popsicle stick as possible without getting any on the metal pivot for maximum structural integrity.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.
Pull the pin from the joint and duct tape the ends back together. Stab a hole through the duct tape and repin with either the original pin, if still usable, or a short screw/nut combo if not. Or use method of your choice for mending the ends prior to reattachment.

Spiteful
Apr 26, 2009
Okay so i've knitted up some socks for my Dad for Christmas but i'm worried that they'll sag down when he starts wearing them cause some socks I knitted for myself did that after a few wears. Is there some way of using knitting elastic or something to hold them up or should I just accept these may be slouchy?
This is all assuming that these socks fit him well, i've never knitted him socks before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Okay, I need a run-down on how to 'kill' acrylic yarn to make it all drape-y. What's the best way to do this? Will it work on Lion Brand Homespun?