Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
I like my Twins 10oz gloves for pads

16oz Fairtex for sparring but I don't really like them so I've got some 16oz Twins now too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

gimpsuitjones posted:

I like my Twins 10oz gloves for pads

16oz Fairtex for sparring but I don't really like them so I've got some 16oz Twins now too

You don't like your Fairtex gloves? May I ask what model you got and what you dislike about them? I freaking love mine.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Thought I'd throw these in here (my first and only fight so far). I'm in the Hawaiian blue trunks.

Click for bigger picture.

This was a simple boxing match that I was in when I trained Muay Thai in Thailand. It's highly recommended for anyone who can afford to take a couple months off of work. It's pretty cheap after air fair if you eat at the food bar they have there, and stay in their hostel area.

Anyway if anyone has any questions about training over there, I was there for 3 months and would be happy to answer some questions. I also trained for 2 years in MMA (mostly Kenpo and Jiu Jitsu, some boxing).

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Oct 14, 2012

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
That is loving awesome and would be a dream come true for me. Questions: give us a rundown of how an average day went?

why is that dude wearing shoes, do you mean it was a simple western-style boxing match with no kicks/elbows/clinch? Did you meet any famous fighters? How expensive was it overall (rough price range if you're cool telling us?) How were you able to stay for 3 months? Take time off work or what? Did you see any camps besides Tiger? Can you say you honestly learned any refined/superior technique than what you were getting stateside? How much more intense was the conditioning work compared to your regular gym? Is your regular gym an MMA gym or a straight up MT gym? The fight team at my gym trains in Thailand one month per year at the Fairtex camp and I'd love to go someday.

You going back?

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
Why did you go to Thailand to learn boxing? Is it your first time learning a ring sport?

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
gently caress grappling. Grappling doesn't have theme songs like this. From now on it's Muay Thai for me 4 ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fr55yS6FMbs

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Pro-click, I've found my calling in life.

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4

Bohemian Nights posted:

Grappling doesn't have theme songs like this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fr55yS6FMbs

These have been posted before, but I feel compelled to remind you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8Y_m0wZxsw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7B_hck0pE98

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

"Comments are disabled for this video". Poor Ralek. If only he wasn't so bad.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Muay Thai also has the distinction of having the best fight music of any martial art

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Israfel posted:

That is loving awesome and would be a dream come true for me. Questions: give us a rundown of how an average day went?

why is that dude wearing shoes, do you mean it was a simple western-style boxing match with no kicks/elbows/clinch? Did you meet any famous fighters? How expensive was it overall (rough price range if you're cool telling us?) How were you able to stay for 3 months? Take time off work or what? Did you see any camps besides Tiger? Can you say you honestly learned any refined/superior technique than what you were getting stateside? How much more intense was the conditioning work compared to your regular gym? Is your regular gym an MMA gym or a straight up MT gym? The fight team at my gym trains in Thailand one month per year at the Fairtex camp and I'd love to go someday.

You going back?

Average Day:
My average day was to get up at 6:30am and drink a protein shake, then take a shower and go get a bite to eat at a little cafe type place that was on the same property as my bungalow room.

Training started at 7:00am so I usually got there about 6:55. Once training started we would do 10 minutes of stretching, 15 minutes of jogging around the workout mats, and then 15 minutes of jump roping. After we were warmed up we would wrap our wrists, put on our gloves, and work on combos and techniques. After that we would practice combos and techniques on the heavy bags and with trainers holding pads. Heavy bags were the worst and more often than not someone would throw up. Usually we would do some sparring, or go run a couple miles, then come back and stretch out and go home. Training sessions were 4 hours long.

After the morning session I would usually grab another protein shake and head back to the camp where I would do a 1.5 hour private session (30 minutes of jump roping this time). It was because of the one-on-one time here that I was really able to increase the strength of my strikes, and greatly increase my jab speed. Cheers to Ajarn Dang here.

Usually after the private session I take a shower then hop on my motorbike and run to the beach with a book (http://www.amazon.com/Mixed-Martial-Arts-Instruction-Manual/dp/0981504418) and kick back for an hour or two. Then I would get a Thai massage (non special) and grab some lunch. Lunch and the massage usually came out to be around $5.00 so it was pretty cheap to do this daily. After the 5.5 hours of hard training a massage was the best feeling thing in the world.

If it was a weekend I would generally go out exploring the city and the island, or go out with everyone from camp and watch some fights in town. If it was a weekday I would generally go train a second 4 hour session at night. These were the worst because there were always mosquitoes and the focus was heavily cardio. Most of the other people training didn't show up for this session though so it was a bit more relaxed most of the time.

Sometimes I would go to the mall food court to grab some cheap dinner, and watch a movie for a few bucks. The DVD store had a great selection too, so night entertainment was always easy to find. A couple days a week I would take some language classes for fun too.

Then I would go home and get some shut eye.

Questions:
The guy I was fighting had like 10 years experience, so those were his boxing shoes. I was so used to training without any shoes on that I decided it was more comfortable fighting like that. The fact that I didn't own a pair didn't help either.

It was a simple western boxing match yea. I actually didn't plan to fight when I did, but every monthly barbecue they had had a boxing match and the guy who was supposed to fight got sick. I took his place.

I spent around $7,000 but I lived it up on weekends (fancy food, buying new clothes and gear, got 2 fillings and a fitted mouth guard from a dentist there). I also did a lot of private lessons on top of the group training. You could probably do it for half than in Phuket at Tiger Muay Thai, or even less in the northern areas.

Unfortunately I didn't meet any famous fighters. I did see Buakow Banchamek fight in person though, and that was awesome. My personal trainer was https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRzp1bBH2LU Noppadet Chengsimiw's trainer.

As far as staying for 3 months, I just asked my job for a leave of absence about 6 months in advance and they were OK with it. It was my work's slow season so it wasn't really a problem.

I did see other camps, yes. There was Dragon, Rawaii, Patong and a few others I can't remember. Tiger Muay Thai definitely had the top notch trainers, and the best facility though. I wouldn't recommend anywhere else for people wanting to go to Phuket. There were also quite a few fighting venues around. It was surreal because almost all the time around the island there would be the small rings mounted to trucks driving around blasting Muay Thai music promoting fights.

quote:

Can you say you honestly learned any refined/superior technique than what you were getting stateside?

Well I didn't really train Muay Thai before going over there, so it was a lot different. I definitely learned a lot from the trainers there, and being involved in the training process for so long every single day was something that really allowed me to further my skills in a way that I wouldn't have been able to stateside. I don't know how trainers teach MT here stateside, but the Thai trainers only taught us to swing our arms out during kicks at first to help us balance, and then made us quit doing it (to remove the vulnerability it can open).

Being in another land where I didn't really know anyone really helped me stay motivated too. I was able to basically live, eat, and breathe Muay Thai. The training was loving brutal in both the Muay Thai classes and the MMA classes, so my stamina was also crazy good.

The level of intensity in training there compared to here was insane. Here I would usually go in for 1.5 hours or less before work 3 times a week. There I would train sometimes 9.5 hours in a day 5-6 times a week. The level that the Thais push ed me was on an entirely different level than my trainers here. Often times I would leave with my feet bleeding from the pads, and there wasn't a session I went to that didn't make me want to puke at least once. I was in spectacular shape before I left and I still had trouble.

Regular gym was an MMA gym.

If you can join your gym for one of the sessions you would not regret it. There's often beautiful girls from all around the world training with you, as well as fighters that are probably 10x better than you are and that you can really learn from.

I would love to go back yes. I am married now so I thought my wife could join the beginner classes and check out the spa they have across the street. Unfortunately though that means it will cost at least 1/3rd as much airfare and class fees so the savings account isn't there quite yet.

Guilty posted:

Why did you go to Thailand to learn boxing? Is it your first time learning a ring sport?

No, I trained at an MMA gym for roughly 2 years before going overseas.

I didn't go there to learn boxing, but the gym I was training at had a monthly barbecue with smoker fights. The boxing fight was about to be cancelled because one of the fighters got sick, so I went ahead in his place.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Oct 16, 2012

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
Can you post a video of the fight? Those photos are not very flattering, but i want to reserve judgment

Guilty fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Oct 16, 2012

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Guilty posted:

Can you post a video of the fight? Those photos are not very flattering, but i want to reserve judgment

I'm guessing you're expecting to see big windup punches and overall stiffness?

Guilty
May 3, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

I'm guessing you're expecting to see big windup punches and overall stiffness?

And flinching and side stances and wobbling and lots of poo poo landing on jaws flying higher than flags and just ever so much swatting

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
And jabs "flicked" from below the waist after thrusting your elbow at your opponent like a lance? What about those?

DUNCAN DONUTS
Mar 27, 2010

by XyloJW

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Yeah, we tend to steer people away from Krav if they're spoiled for choice, but if it's your only option go for it.

Why is that? I did it for a couple weeks until I got injured (unrelated), and felt like I learned a fair bit.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Knyteguy posted:

Training in Thailand

Thanks for the write-up, good info.

I'm not sure if I missed it but where did you train? Tiger Muay Thai? Do you recommend it?

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

DUNCAN DONUTS posted:

Why is that? I did it for a couple weeks until I got injured (unrelated), and felt like I learned a fair bit.

I've noticed that they like to operate in the theoretical realm of "real world street fighting" and I never really personally thought I needed my eye gouging, hair pulling, and fish hooking to be systemized.

Also an overwhelming majority of them are skeevy money pits. Which is probably the real reason.

DUNCAN DONUTS
Mar 27, 2010

by XyloJW

Novum posted:

I've noticed that they like to operate in the theoretical realm of "real world street fighting" and I never really personally thought I needed my eye gouging, hair pulling, and fish hooking to be systemized.

Also an overwhelming majority of them are skeevy money pits. Which is probably the real reason.

I liked the one I went to. Focused on basics and taught knee-to-groin, palm strikes, and hammer fists the first day. The trainer had trained with several Israelis and had a strong martial arts background - kickboxing (they had a bunch of heavy bags there and offered kickboxing classes), escrima, and Tae Kwon Do.

We went over knife defense, blunt object defense, and VIP protection during all-levels weekend classes. I am in a big city, so I have many options (when I can afford them!)If you can point me to another martial art that covers those things, I'd be very interested. Each level had a set, posted curriculum, too, so you could see in advance what you'd be going over at your level.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

The first weird thing with Krav is that the Israeli army do it for two weeks or less. Most of them aren't aware that the basic training they're getting is part of a martial art that's heavily marketed worldwide. Then there's the fact that one of the organizations (KMAA? I think?) started giving people teaching certifications after doing extremely short courses, like 3 months. So there are a lot of really awful Krav schools out there, taught by people with only some extremely basic training themselves.

You also have to keep in mind what purpose hand to hand combat serves in the modern military: It's basically a team building exercise. They never expect you to have to use it, and if you have to use it, you've hosed up at being a soldier. Why would you engage people in hand to hand combat? The idea is that they want their soldiers to be confident at every range of combat so that they won't panic and flee, basically.

If it's your only option go for it, because depending on the gym it might be a sweet workout. But the striking will be inferior to that of a boxing or muay thai gym, the grappling will be inferior to that of a wrestling, judo, sambo or BJJ gym, and I'm naturally inclined to be skeptical of knife and gun disarmament techniques.

I don't hate Krav or anything, the theoretical stuff seems interesting and if I had more money and more time I would check it out myself, but I would approach it with a level of skepticism and I would pressure test everything they taught to work out what I trust and what I don't.

DUNCAN DONUTS
Mar 27, 2010

by XyloJW

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

The first weird thing with Krav is that the Israeli army do it for two weeks or less. Most of them aren't aware that the basic training they're getting is part of a martial art that's heavily marketed worldwide. Then there's the fact that one of the organizations (KMAA? I think?) started giving people teaching certifications after doing extremely short courses, like 3 months. So there are a lot of really awful Krav schools out there, taught by people with only some extremely basic training themselves.

You also have to keep in mind what purpose hand to hand combat serves in the modern military: It's basically a team building exercise. They never expect you to have to use it, and if you have to use it, you've hosed up at being a soldier. Why would you engage people in hand to hand combat? The idea is that they want their soldiers to be confident at every range of combat so that they won't panic and flee, basically.

If it's your only option go for it, because depending on the gym it might be a sweet workout. But the striking will be inferior to that of a boxing or muay thai gym, the grappling will be inferior to that of a wrestling, judo, sambo or BJJ gym, and I'm naturally inclined to be skeptical of knife and gun disarmament techniques.

I don't hate Krav or anything, the theoretical stuff seems interesting and if I had more money and more time I would check it out myself, but I would approach it with a level of skepticism and I would pressure test everything they taught to work out what I trust and what I don't.

Fair enough. One of the things I didn't like about it was that we never punched or kicked full-force (at least not in my classes), so I was training to pull my punches. Fortunately, that place had kickboxing (not sparring, unfortunately, so I was never struck) so I got to hit the heavy bag as hard as possible and learn punching, kicking, knee, and elbow, technique.

Rikthor
Sep 28, 2008

This is a good write up on Krav and a lot of my issues with the way it is taught here in the U.S. If you notice, a lot of the schools teaching Krav are the same schools that fit the bill for McDojo Tae Kwon Do schools. This is quite literally the case in my area, and these are the guys associated with Krav Worldwide. One Tae Kwon Do chain, and even several random schools, have their own versions of Krav now. Most of it is just a cash in, the guy who owns our gym and teaches it will outright admit it. It does make great money so we don't complain too much about it since it helps keeps the gym's doors open.

It looks like it provides a great cardio workout but for actual techniques, self-defense, etc. it comes across as very lacking in effectiveness. Even though it teaches grappling, a lot of the moves seem to be taught wrong and miss the finer points of what makes certain techniques work. The instructors that I have met also teach that your attacker is going to be untrained, which I have a big issue with as well. No one is going to attack someone unless they think they have a discernible advantage which could be training, could be a weapon, could be experience, etc.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Hey guys I wanted to get a little advice.

I'm going to a tournament this weekend with my gym and since I'm hurt from the last one I won't be competing this time out. I'll be coaching, helping with warm ups and drilling techniques with people.

Does anyone have advice for me on coaching or just generally things I can do to help my team out?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

TheKingslayer posted:

Hey guys I wanted to get a little advice.

I'm going to a tournament this weekend with my gym and since I'm hurt from the last one I won't be competing this time out. I'll be coaching, helping with warm ups and drilling techniques with people.

Does anyone have advice for me on coaching or just generally things I can do to help my team out?

Keep it simple and unless you have code words or a language barrier don't yell offense suggestions because you'll ruin the surprise. I avoided a triangle once because the guy's coach was yelling for it.

Keep track of time and score , it's really hard to tell when you're on the mat and very easy to forget if you're winning or losing.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
Guys, I'm worried my cheap local gym is going the McDoJo route.

The main instructor is I think creating his own "brand", starting in a month it will be MANDATORY to wear the "Team" shirt ( which costs $30 ). He is also going to make his own branded MT shorts as well, that will also be MANDATORY once he has them in stock.

I'm on the fence because this place is half the cost of any other place around and it is so drat convenient to get to. Because of those 2 things I can't begrudge them for trying to get a few extra $$'s, though it does really seem like a cash grab to me.

Do you guys have an experience with "uniforms"? I'm not sure if I'm trying to justify still going there with this but, if you consider say, BJJ, Judo, Karate, TKD, they all require you to wear a Gi anyway right? Which is really just a kind of uniform, isn't it?...Further, if I do go the tournament route, it makes sense to be wearing "Team Colours" if you will, so maybe I'm getting worried about nothing?

:smith:

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Yeah that would dishearten me, too. Your analogy with a BJJ or judo gi is not quite accurate, because you already have designated apparal in muay thai (shorts, gloves, etc.). I'm not forced to buy my school's gi or anything.

If the quality of instruction doesn't diminish and you still enjoy going, though, you just need to decide if the extra sixty bucks or whatever is worth it.

eine dose socken
Mar 9, 2008

Mandatory uniforms are a really bad sign for the decline of a gym. It's also total bullshit, especially if you train several times a week.

I could't be bothered to buy several overpriced shirts, just to have one ready everytime i decide to go the gym, gently caress that! If they want more money, raise the monthly fees or something, that's their prerogatory.

If you still feel that the low price and the quality of the training outweigh the hassle of buying the apparel, you should stay, otherwise start looking for a different place.

Personally, i'd feel kinda ripped off.

Fake edit: gently caress, beaten!^^

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Any opinion on rubber guard in general? I have very flexible hips and I've started to incorporate some rubber guard in my ground work. It's not my go to guard but I found it useful to control people and the "invisible collar" position is a nice place to go for an armbar. I know a lot of people make fun of Eddie Bravo stuff, so I don't know how much me succeeding in using some of his stuff is based on my partners not knowing how to react to it since it's less common.

Is it something I should stay away from completely or is it ok to incorporate when I feel like it fits in my game?

TollTheHounds posted:

Guys, I'm worried my cheap local gym is going the McDoJo route.

The main instructor is I think creating his own "brand", starting in a month it will be MANDATORY to wear the "Team" shirt ( which costs $30 ). He is also going to make his own branded MT shorts as well, that will also be MANDATORY once he has them in stock.

I'm on the fence because this place is half the cost of any other place around and it is so drat convenient to get to. Because of those 2 things I can't begrudge them for trying to get a few extra $$'s, though it does really seem like a cash grab to me.

Do you guys have an experience with "uniforms"? I'm not sure if I'm trying to justify still going there with this but, if you consider say, BJJ, Judo, Karate, TKD, they all require you to wear a Gi anyway right? Which is really just a kind of uniform, isn't it?...Further, if I do go the tournament route, it makes sense to be wearing "Team Colours" if you will, so maybe I'm getting worried about nothing?

:smith:

That's horrible. I'm all for offering club-brand uniforms, but making it mandatory means you're in it only for the money and this means many things will be done to increase revenue over other things that would be more important for the trainees.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

I think it's useful. I tend to use it with bigger (fat) guys that I would prefer not be on top of me, even if they're in my guard. If you're good with your legs and hips then learning to move in and out of it quickly to normal guard, scissor guard, etc. and frustrate people is, frankly, a lot of fun.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

Yeah that would dishearten me, too. Your analogy with a BJJ or judo gi is not quite accurate, because you already have designated apparal in muay thai (shorts, gloves, etc.). I'm not forced to buy my school's gi or anything.

If the quality of instruction doesn't diminish and you still enjoy going, though, you just need to decide if the extra sixty bucks or whatever is worth it.

I guess when I brought up BJJ I was thinking of my 2 year stint at a Gracie school where you were required to wear the Gracie patch. Which meant if you DID buy your own non-branded Gi you still had to put the patch on. Most people just bought the ones sold by the club.

eine dose socken posted:

Mandatory uniforms are a really bad sign for the decline of a gym. It's also total bullshit, especially if you train several times a week.

I could't be bothered to buy several overpriced shirts, just to have one ready everytime i decide to go the gym, gently caress that! If they want more money, raise the monthly fees or something, that's their prerogatory.

If you still feel that the low price and the quality of the training outweigh the hassle of buying the apparel, you should stay, otherwise start looking for a different place.

Personally, i'd feel kinda ripped off.

Fake edit: gently caress, beaten!^^

KingColliwog posted:

That's horrible. I'm all for offering club-brand uniforms, but making it mandatory means you're in it only for the money and this means many things will be done to increase revenue over other things that would be more important for the trainees.

There may not be enough :smith: to encompass my growing disappointment.

The thing is that in some ways though, they are making better changes. We're going from 3 classes a week ( Monday, Wednesday, Saturday ) to 4 ( adding Friday night ) all taught by the main instructor now. It used to be he only taught on the Monday and it was the assistant instructors the other days - also great instruction mind you. I genuinely believe he is a great teacher and the quality of training is superb ( he still regularly fights, and wins, in major tournaments here ). So for him to now be teaching 3 nights a week, and that I now have the option of going 3 times a week night ( rarely go on Saturdays because it's too early for me ), is a positive.

I just hate when I start to get a "cult" vibe from a place. I guess most martial arts can have that anyway, but being forced to buy poo poo that isn't really "necessary" is annoying. I mean it's not like the shirt is of a tougher quality than any of the other shirts I wear. The shorts I don't really see any benefit compared to the ones I already wear ( just regular gym shorts with a built-in compression style inner lining ). If I'm fighting in a tournament - sure, wear the team colours, but for regular class, why??

However, it is half the cost go here - only $70/month vs. $150-200 everywhere else, and it is a 2 minute drive or 10 minute walk from where I live. I guess I'll buy the shirt so I can still go for now and decide if that extra ( hopefully 1 time ) cost of $60 for my "uniform" is going to outweigh my irritation.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
If the training is good and they are making other improvement then it's not so bad. If in the end it's less expensive/more convenient to go to this gym and the instruction is good, then by all means keep going there. The guys owning the place might just find revenue to be low and they are afraid people will run if they up the monthly fee and they thought making people pay for uniforms would be a lesser evil.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Unless the training quality actively goes down you should probably keep in mind how tough it is to keep a place like that running. If the costs are still decent it shouldn't be a huge deal.

If the cumulative prices start getting toward 100 bucks a month anyway you should test out different gyms to see if you can find a higher level of instructor for a similar price.

Rubber guard chat: Never used it (noob grappler reporting in) but I've seen some really slick stuff from people who use it.

e: VV I'm with you, I'm just playing devil's advocate.

Novum fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Oct 18, 2012

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

Novum posted:

Unless the training quality actively goes down you should probably keep in mind how tough it is to keep a place like that running. If the costs are still decent it shouldn't be a huge deal.

If the cumulative prices start getting toward 100 bucks a month anyway you should test out different gyms to see if you can find a higher level of instructor for a similar price.

I understand that they need to pay the rent too, and you're right - maybe they're trying to keep people from running by not raising the monthly fee, which is only as cheap as it is I think due to the current location in the boonies. I just wish it had been approached differently.

If they had said: "Hey, we have these awesome new shirts and shorts with our logo and everything on them. Help support the gym and show your pride by wearing both to our classes!" I wouldn't have bothered posting about this whole debacle. I probably would have bought the shirt, shorts, gym bag, hoody, you name it.

That it was phrased as "Hey, the shirts are required. It will cost $30, you are probably a Large so I'll keep one aside for you. Shorts are coming, they will also be mandatory." really bugs me.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

TollTheHounds posted:

also great instruction mind you. I genuinely believe he is a great teacher and the quality of training is superb

I'd suck it up if that's the case. Lots of great teachers seem to be doing retarded marketing crap these days, its irritating but gently caress it.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Christoff posted:

Thanks for the write-up, good info.

I'm not sure if I missed it but where did you train? Tiger Muay Thai? Do you recommend it?

Yes I trained at TMT. I highly recommend it. I researched about 10 gyms through both the gym websites, and there's a travelling for Muay Thai website; Tiger was the highest rated so I chose it. The owner Will is a cool guy too --- I lost my bank card over there (God that was a loving nightmare) and he lent my $100.00 until I could get another. That's 3 good meals a day for over month if you're frugal.

It's great and pretty affordable as long as you bring over your own protein powder. The stuff is extremely expensive over there (like $60 a pound or more for baseline stuff).

Poster above: sorry I looked for the video on their website but I can't find mine.

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4
It sucks when gyms fall in the line with the marketing and sales of accessories, but the reason I say "fall in line" is because it's become the standard of good business. Sure, we'd prefer if we could train with amazing people and facilities, for minimal costs, and no additional obligations. Sadly, the reality of the business is that to be success it becomes necessary to cross-promote your business. If you've got a quality instructor, than allow them the opportunity to be successful.

I hate when I have to buy patchs, gis, seminar costs, sign in at the desk, sign my card, check-in on facebook, use the owner's website, etc. Eventually you just get in line and realize that if you support the instructor, you've got to support their business as well.

---

10th Planet works. Period. Eddie is a JJ Machado black belt. It's not like he doesn't understand traditional jiu-jitsu, and developed his own style. It's a system of whatever works grappling no-gi, and all of the techniques can still be applied in a gi grapple as well.

Alan Belcher defeated Rousimar Palhares because of the 10th Planet system.

I'm not the best example of 10th planet, and I rarely use my rubber guard, but I know a lot of fantastic practioners. And the question of: "does it work or are guys just surprised by it?" could be asked of any martial art technique. 10th planet guys are practicing their techniques on each other all the time, and they still work.

Personally I've been working on the Truck position a lot lately. Lots of kneebars, calf cranks, crotch rippers, twisters, and back mount positions begin from there.

widunder
May 2, 2002

Kumo Jr. posted:

Alan Belcher defeated Rousimar Palhares because of the 10th Planet system.
Belcher won because of his great leglock defense and due to Palhares being dumb.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Palhares isn't dumb, he's just.. simple. One minute he's playing with his baby rabbits, and in the next their tiny legs are all broken. :(

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

nemoulette posted:

Belcher won because of his great leglock defense and due to Palhares being dumb.

Was that the fight where he slipped out of a leglock and instead of defending himself Palhares tried to talk to the ref and ended up getting punched out on the floor?

Because that was great, I just couldn't remember who it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
That was against Nate Marquardt.

• Locked thread