Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AgentF
May 11, 2009

thespaceinvader posted:

Not to snark or anything, but... 8-pointed star?

I'm certainly thinking of it, I just wonder how good it would come out with the very limited area I have to work with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.

AgentF posted:

I'm certainly thinking of it, I just wonder how good it would come out with the very limited area I have to work with.

How's your freehand? With that shape of book I could see the wider stars looking good, the ones that are essentially circles with little points, rather than the Scientology looking ones.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

User 137133 posted:

Thanks for the advice on Wraithguard all. Thinking of doing something like this for 1850 to start with and see how it goes from there:

Farseer w/ Witnessing, Stones, Fortune, Doom - 140

Farseer w/ Warding, Witnessing, Stones, 3 cheap powers to swap for Divination - 160

10 Wraithguard w/ Conceal Spiritseer - 396

10 Avengers - 120
-in a Serpent w/ Linked Bright Lances, Shuricannon - 145

6 Pathfinders - 144

3 Wraithlords w/ Bright Lance, Eldar ML - 155 each

and allying in some DEldar

Archon w/ Shadowfield, Huskblade, Soul Trap, Venomblade - 145

5 Wyches w/ Haywires - 60
-in a Venom w/ Cannon, Night Shields - 75

Ought to be amusing, though it probably does badly against anything with flyers, but, oh well. Could always drop a Wraithlord for a Quadgun and bumping one of the Farseers to Eldradhood, or freeing up a few points for some Scatterwalkers. Or a Voidraven Fighter/Bomber.

Quick head's up; if you're hoping to use the Psyker powers from the Eldar on your Dark Eldar, they faq'd it so that it isn't "Eldar" that were applicable, but units that were from "Codex: Eldar".

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008
I love the old fluff about Catachans disliking Commissars, and the "Whoops, Sorry Sir" rule. With the new Dark Vengeance models we have a shirtless dude wearing a Commissar coat. I thought it would be fun to convert that into a Catachan dude who somehow 'acquired' it. Does anybody have that model to spare? I have Paypal and am willing to pay a few bucks for it. :)

BuffaloChicken fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Oct 18, 2012

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Broadside posted:

That link is dead. Is there a write up somewhere else?

Looks like most of the original discussion on wargamerau has been purged now, and it's interesting that that blog post got vaped in the last 24 hours. All I can find now is offsite links like http://www.westgamer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=16828 referring to the original.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
:stare:

Open that in a new tab to see it in giant, gorgeous detail. That poo poo looks straight out of the Kryomek rulebook.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Babe Magnet posted:

Quick head's up; if you're hoping to use the Psyker powers from the Eldar on your Dark Eldar, they faq'd it so that it isn't "Eldar" that were applicable, but units that were from "Codex: Eldar".

I'm aware, but there's not a lot to be casting powers on from the DE side in the first place. Wyches are just a cheap troop choice that might tie up something nasty for a round or two or grab an objective, and bring a fast transport with some solid anti-infantry shooting. The Archon is going to babysit the Wraithguard who will be getting Fortune and maybe other stuff cast on them depending on what I roll up in Divination, but I'm assuming he won't benefit from the Fortune buff at least. I just figure between him and the threat of counterassault by three pissed off Wraithlords people won't just be able to toss chaff in my way.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Fuckdamn that's nice, but I keep looking at it and thinking 'that flamer dude could use some OSL'. But, I'm assuming that the flames are part of the base rather than the model, so it might look a little weird.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

SRM posted:

:stare:

Open that in a new tab to see it in giant, gorgeous detail. That poo poo looks straight out of the Kryomek rulebook.

Inquisitor Morpheus, noooooooooo

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
If that's the painter I'm thinking of, it must have taken great restraint for him to make the girls shirt only 15% transparent. Cool Contra scene though.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

BuffaloChicken posted:

I love the old fluff about Catachans disliking Commissars, and the "Whoops, Sorry Sir" rule. With the new Dark Vengeance models we have a shirtless dude wearing a Commissar coat. I thought it would be fun to convert that into a Catachan dude who somehow 'acquired' it. Does anybody have that model to spare? I have Paypal and am willing to pay a few bucks for it. :)

Someone sell this man his model, stat. :frogsiren:

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

MasterSlowPoke posted:

If that's the painter I'm thinking of, it must have taken great restraint for him to make the girls shirt only 15% transparent. Cool Contra scene though.

Is this eldar rape guy?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

BuffaloChicken posted:

That could be a lot of conversion work, because you're going to have to at least cover up the chaos brand on the torso and probably sculpt a new head.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

AgentF posted:

Get your hands on a micron pen

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I love how the cigar has a skull cloud and the plasma gun doesn't :thumbsup:

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Pierzak posted:

I love how he has one downs eye like all the guys I've ever painted... :smith:

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Pierzak posted:

Smoking is worse for your health than plasma.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

xiw posted:

Looks like most of the original discussion on wargamerau has been purged now, and it's interesting that that blog post got vaped in the last 24 hours. All I can find now is offsite links like http://www.westgamer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=16828 referring to the original.

Your link just had an extra . at the end.
http://www.thefieldsofblood.com/2011/08/loaded-dice-unsavoury-episode.html

My mate has some of the dice pictured, he bought the as a novelty and hilariously, couldn't get them to work. Unless that's just what he was telling me.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

Fyrbrand posted:

Someone sell this man his model, stat. :frogsiren:
Thanks, someone messaged me. I won't be able to work on it until I'm home in December, but I'll post it here. :)

quote:

That could be a lot of conversion work, because you're going to have to at least cover up the chaos brand on the torso and probably sculpt a new head.
Good, I love conversion work! I'll just chop off the head and put a Catachan one, shave the spikes off the sword hilt and give it a more Imperium-fitting blade, and cut away the Chaos brand and crotch armor. Whole conversion should take a few minutes. Just gotta find a role for him in the army...

EDIT: Pictures for more content. I know I posted them before, hush. My Grey Knights army!

BuffaloChicken fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Oct 19, 2012

Nixnihil
Apr 3, 2007
Where is His will needed?
Hey guys,

Don't forget to get on E-bay to bid on these highly-sought-after severed Ork Topknot bitz packs. Perfect for making hideous pigtails on your fat, big-titted femMarines. Get 'em today!

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/40K-Ork-Nobz-Top-Knot-Bits-4-Bitz-S-/190741445041?pt=Games_US&hash=item2c691379b1

Or how about this sexy Ork trukk conversion, complete with a shameless roll cage made from sprue rims?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Warhammer-40k-Ork-Wartrukk-Trukk-conversion-/330810504216?pt=Games_US&hash=item4d05d7b418

Nixnihil
Apr 3, 2007
Seriouspost...

I'm looking for some good bits bags for some kitbashing--stuff for my orks to loot, like extra armor plates, weapons, etc. Also, vehicle gubbins, and stuff that I could use to spruce up my scenic bases (grey death world, with junk).

I checked out the bits bags at the Warstore's Battlewagon Bitz, but the shipping alone is $20 bucks to Canada which is the same cost as the bits and I don't even know what I'm getting.

Any Canadian goons got any assorted bits to sell? Either that, or is anyone going to give me a raving review of buying bits from the Warstore?

Takkaryx
Oct 17, 2007

Bunnies (very useful) Scientific Facts: Bunnies never close doors

The Gate posted:

Thanks for the advice on Wraithguard all. Thinking of doing something like this for 1850 to start with and see how it goes from there:

Farseer w/ Witnessing, Stones, Fortune, Doom - 140

Farseer w/ Warding, Witnessing, Stones, 3 cheap powers to swap for Divination - 160

10 Wraithguard w/ Conceal Spiritseer - 396

10 Avengers - 120
-in a Serpent w/ Linked Bright Lances, Shuricannon - 145

6 Pathfinders - 144

3 Wraithlords w/ Bright Lance, Eldar ML - 155 each

and allying in some DEldar

Archon w/ Shadowfield, Huskblade, Soul Trap, Venomblade - 145

5 Wyches w/ Haywires - 60
-in a Venom w/ Cannon, Night Shields - 75

Ought to be amusing, though it probably does badly against anything with flyers, but, oh well. Could always drop a Wraithlord for a Quadgun and bumping one of the Farseers to Eldradhood, or freeing up a few points for some Scatterwalkers. Or a Voidraven Fighter/Bomber.

I'd drop the brightlances on the wraithlords to scatterlasers, and the lances on the serpent to shuricannons. Brightlances are hideously expensive in the Eldar dex, and DE can get more of them for cheaper on faster platforms with higher BS. Voidravens would be a good choice for AA support, and look bitchin' too.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Cassa posted:

Your link just had an extra . at the end.
http://www.thefieldsofblood.com/2011/08/loaded-dice-unsavoury-episode.html

My mate has some of the dice pictured, he bought the as a novelty and hilariously, couldn't get them to work. Unless that's just what he was telling me.

One of the comments posted:

"Perfectly weighted to his throwing style" What.. what does that even mean? What a turd, pity someone didn't have a samuri sword and elite skill on hand during the accusation, whereby they were able to cut one of his dice in half whilst he held it.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

AgentF posted:

"Perfectly weighted to his throwing style" What.. what does that even mean? What a turd, pity someone didn't have a samuri sword and elite skill on hand during the accusation, whereby they were able to cut one of his dice in half whilst he held it.

I'm glad they stipulated elite skill

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
So I'm going to be playing a tourney this weekend with my dakkajet without having a chance to try it out in advance - anything I should know or easily missed rules about how flyers work? I've read the rules, but...

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

BuffaloChicken beat me to the punch, but, uh, you do know who you're talking to, right? :stonk:

Tailfnz
Oct 13, 2011

I'm delightfully forgettable.
I picked up a new box of Raptors yesterday, and I must say I am extremely impressed with the kit. Am I retarded for thinking that not putting a Plasma Gun on one or two Raptors is a good idea? Meltas and Flamers just seem to make more sense to me.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

BuffaloChicken, are you working on commission at the moment, or are you free? I've got an idea that's been banging around for a while I think you might get a kick out of.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Anyone have any decent ideas on how to run a noise marines list in 6th? Thinking I'm gonna invest in at least two squads of them for modeling purposes but I do want to actually play them.

Tailfnz posted:

I picked up a new box of Raptors yesterday, and I must say I am extremely impressed with the kit. Am I retarded for thinking that not putting a Plasma Gun on one or two Raptors is a good idea? Meltas and Flamers just seem to make more sense to me.

I play with raptors quite a bit and I either run dual melta for tank busting/bunker busting after the deepstrike/having them jump around for a bit or flamers. I'm starting to lean more towards flamer since my lord drops with them and is there to headhunt the commanders and wipe out squads wholesale with the champ. This is at low point levels though (500-750) and I've only really tried this out against vanilla marines. It works decent though. Plasma is a mixed bag cause my main thought when using raptors is to assault with them. If you want to drop in and sit on an objective, dual plasma could work.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all

Nixnihil posted:

Seriouspost...

I'm looking for some good bits bags for some kitbashing--stuff for my orks to loot, like extra armor plates, weapons, etc. Also, vehicle gubbins, and stuff that I could use to spruce up my scenic bases (grey death world, with junk).

I checked out the bits bags at the Warstore's Battlewagon Bitz, but the shipping alone is $20 bucks to Canada which is the same cost as the bits and I don't even know what I'm getting.

Any Canadian goons got any assorted bits to sell? Either that, or is anyone going to give me a raving review of buying bits from the Warstore?

I just hit up ebay for most of my bits. The combined shipping rates aren't that bad to Canada, and you actually get to choose your bits (assuming you win the auction). I've had good luck with these guys. Sometimes buying kits just for the bits works well, and plasticard is probably your cheapest source of armor plates.

Nixnihil
Apr 3, 2007
Thanks for the tip. Maybe I'll actually post some orks one of these days.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

Fix posted:

BuffaloChicken, are you working on commission at the moment, or are you free? I've got an idea that's been banging around for a while I think you might get a kick out of.
Free! Shoot me a PM, my schedule is wonky (I'm working for a conservation corps, so spending a week at a time busting poo poo up in the woods/desert) but I might be down for commission work if you're okay with slow progress.

bhsman posted:

BuffaloChicken beat me to the punch, but, uh, you do know who you're talking to, right? :stonk:
He should, I converted and painted him this Slaanesh Subjugator Titan!

By the way Obamawitz, I'd love to see pictures of it in action with some similarly-painted Chaos guys. I hope you're getting good use out of it!

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

thiswayliesmadness posted:

I just hit up ebay for most of my bits. The combined shipping rates aren't that bad to Canada, and you actually get to choose your bits (assuming you win the auction). I've had good luck with these guys. Sometimes buying kits just for the bits works well, and plasticard is probably your cheapest source of armor plates.

Seconding Hoard o' Bits. They're super reliable and ship very quickly; I've gotten stuff from them within a week of ordering, sometimes less, though I guess if you live in Canada it might take longer.

Also? For Sale signs are (usually) made of plasticard. Over here I can walk over to the local Ace Hardware store and get an 8"x11" sign for about $2. Food for thought.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I played my first game with the new Chaos dex last night, and I'm quite happy with the result. I may do a full battle report later but I'm going to mentio na few units that really stood out.

Chaos Spawn- With mark of nurgle these guys are amazing. They laugh at high strength template weapons. A demolisher and two battlecannon shells couldn't finish them even with the all the heavy bolter and stubber shots that followed. Add that resilience with a 12" move and a metric fuckton of (random) attacks each turn with the ability to actually pen most vehicles in CC and you end up with a group of spawn charging across the field and punching a medusa and two Leman Ruses and not giving a drat.

Forgefiend- The volume of fire he can put out means he's going to hit and probably wreck something. He also got focus fired every turn and refused to die. This being against a guard player that was a helluva lot of ordnance not hitting other stuff. Bieng able to maybe regen a HP a turn was nice but not massive.

Bikers- Are awesome. Being able to charge across the board at 24" was great. I stuck a khorne lord on bike in there and got lucky with his mutation roll, giving the unit shrouded. a 4+ cover save when turbo boosting saved them from a lot of stuff, and making them T5 to avoid a lot of instant death stuff also helped a huge amount.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

BuffaloChicken posted:

Free! Shoot me a PM, my schedule is wonky (I'm working for a conservation corps, so spending a week at a time busting poo poo up in the woods/desert) but I might be down for commission work if you're okay with slow progress.

Slow and sporadic wins the race. Or something. Either way, sir, your privates have been messaged.

Shosuro
Nov 30, 2007

Lungboy posted:

I wouldn't order from Maelstrom for the minute, see if they go tits-up or not.
A shame. Great model, though, right?

Shosuro
Nov 30, 2007

CisMaleTheSensitiv posted:

Anyone have any decent ideas on how to run a noise marines list in 6th? Thinking I'm gonna invest in at least two squads of them for modeling purposes but I do want to actually play them.
Well, step 1: make them Troops. Slaaneshi Chaos Lord on boobsnake outflanking and picking on people who don't want to be in combat, with his ridiculous threat range.
Then, figure out what they -can't- do, and fill that hole with other things. Anti-tank, perhaps some anti-flyer; this says, to me, Havocs, and you could probably Noise them up with a bit of modeling so they fit.
Add in the rest to taste; Noise Marines themselves look like they can lay out some decent fire, and should shred any xenos or IG trying to hide in cover. Daemon Prince if you have points to burn and like the idea. Perhaps another similar Lord, or a Sorcerer. Rhinos for the Marines maybe, unsure on that. Predators if you find yourself needing more anti-tank, Vindicators if you need more anti-Marine/Terminator. Daemon Engines if you like them, for whatever purpose each is designed for; Forgefiends in particular look like they may fit well, in rules if not in style.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

Fix posted:

Slow and sporadic wins the race. Or something. Either way, sir, your privates have been messaged.
Cool, got it in my privates.

Found an Imperialized Tetchvar, in case anyone else wants to try it.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Shosuro posted:

A shame. Great model, though, right?

Not really my cup of tea.

Shosuro posted:

Well, step 1: make them Troops. Slaaneshi Chaos Lord on boobsnake outflanking and picking on people who don't want to be in combat, with his ridiculous threat range.

Boobsnake is nice but i'm not sold on losing my Lord for a couple of turns. Putting him on a bike gives him a big threat range too, and allows him to get involved straight away. Give him the Brand for extra fun, and put him with bikes with the Icon of Excess for FNP.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Oct 19, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

BuffaloChicken posted:

Cool, got it in my privates.

Found an Imperialized Tetchvar, in case anyone else wants to try it.

Hmm, that doesn't quite work for me. I think I'd probably try to put the coat sleeves back on or something.

• Locked thread