Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Lysidas posted:

Did you try this? which does not process aliases in this way.

code:
$ cat /etc/lsb-release 
DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=12.04
DISTRIB_CODENAME=precise
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS"
$ which ls
/bin/ls
$ alias | grep ls
alias l='ls -CF'
alias la='ls -A'
alias ll='ls -alF'
alias ls='ls --color=auto'

Whoops, I was using the zsh builtin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
Haha, look at this:

So yeah, ls is aliased correctly. And I actually see grep colors. So why the hell aren't I seeing ls colors? This is bizarre. It's gotta be a client-side configuration thing.

[edit]
Got it! In the KiTTY options, I had to select "bold font only" under "displaying of bolded text" under window -> colors. Thanks for everyone's help.

Fangs404 fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Oct 10, 2012

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

oval office AND PASTE posted:

Your problem lies elsewhere. The reason is that the receiver is first in accepting the HDMI signal, so any handshaking reports the capabilities of the receiver, not the destination display.

Well, of course it could be that the receiver disables sound output if the destination display has no sound capabilities, but that sounds silly. Oh well, I got my tv back, I don't really care enough to start troubleshooting this any further.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
Oh hey, it's release day. No sign of 12.10, yet.

Shugyousha
Sep 24, 2007
Just (s)trolling by...

fourwood posted:

Oh hey, it's release day. No sign of 12.10, yet.

It seems to be out now: http://www.ubuntu.com/

BillWh0re
Aug 6, 2001

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg-server/+bug/1041063

for people running ubuntu in virtualbox or on a tablet, I'd recommend not upgrading until that bug is fixed as it makes the mouse more or less unusable

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

BillWh0re posted:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg-server/+bug/1041063

for people running ubuntu in virtualbox or on a tablet, I'd recommend not upgrading until that bug is fixed as it makes the mouse more or less unusable

You can disable that option in VirtualBox.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Welp another upgrade (this time 12.10), another hosed system. What the gently caress Canonical??
This time I'm thrown into grub recovery. Tried ls and "prefix=(hd0, msdos1)/boot/grub" for all the other entries of ls, then insmod normal. Didn't work with any of them. Can't even use my 12.04 CD because of a critical bug there where it won't even boot with my graphics card.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I go to get 12.10, but before giving me a download link, Canonical hits me up for a donation. (And if you skip the donation, it starts a download for 12.04LTS, not the new one. Hmm.) So I get 12.10 from the torrent link instead, load it onto a test system with no problems, and boot to the Unity desktop. The first thing that I notice is the Amazon referrer link, prominently placed on the Launcher. The next thing I notice is that Amazon ads are taking up almost the entire Dash.

Um... not to be indelicate, but is Canonical hard up for cash? Like, Shuttleworth's going hungry and the water's been turned off? Because suddenly I'm getting a huge desperate-for-money vibe here.

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

Powered Descent posted:

I go to get 12.10, but before giving me a download link, Canonical hits me up for a donation. (And if you skip the donation, it starts a download for 12.04LTS, not the new one. Hmm.) So I get 12.10 from the torrent link instead, load it onto a test system with no problems, and boot to the Unity desktop. The first thing that I notice is the Amazon referrer link, prominently placed on the Launcher. The next thing I notice is that Amazon ads are taking up almost the entire Dash.

Um... not to be indelicate, but is Canonical hard up for cash? Like, Shuttleworth's going hungry and the water's been turned off? Because suddenly I'm getting a huge desperate-for-money vibe here.

That's clearly a bug in their webpage, since it takes you to the 32 bit version of 12.04 instead of 64-bit 12.10. I emailed them to file a bug report.
As for the Amazon link in the launcher, I've got no problems with it; it's easy to remove. Same goes with the Dash search - I actually like being able to search amazon, and it's easy to disable.
The money-desperation thing is pretty interesting. One one hand yeah I understand what you're saying. On the other, we're in the age of kickstarters raising millions for vaporware. Is it really that much of a problem for them to ask for a donation in exchange for an awesome OS?
Full disclosure: I ordered a bunch of Ubuntu-branded stuff that's arriving in the mail tomorrow, and I'll probably contribute $10 in the next week or two.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

The Merkinman posted:

another hosed system.

This has been the rule, not the exception, for years now.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

On the other hand, I've upgraded smoothly since 9.04 or so.

Edit: Including today.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Just kidding. At least it seems to be a minor issue (not a hosed system) but DNS resolution doesn't work for me now.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari
My 12.04->12.10 (server) experience:

Server 1: Pretty much just BIND, running on VMWare

Update went smooth (do-release-upgrade -d), only issue was that the virtual NIC didn't show up after the first reboot. Rebooted again and it showed up, everything was fine.

Server 2: LAMP / Mail (Postfix/Dovecot) / LNMP (nginx) / murmur / BIND, all on a Linode

Issues:
  • Postfix changed their TLS/SSL string in main.cf:

main.cf posted:

#smtpd_use_tls = yes //old string
    smtpd_tls_security_level = may //new string

• Apache was upset about some missing folders in my /sites-available/default file, previously just warned about these, but post-update wouldn't actually start until I fixed the paths

• nginx wouldn't start due to config issues. Of course it had reverted back to the non-SPDY version (1.2.x) rather than the newer version I had installed from source (1.3.x). Had to uninstall it with apt-get and reinstall it from source. (http://nginx.org/patches/spdy/README.txt)

• My murmur/mumble server is now giving cert warnings when people connect, even though the cert is valid and I left the config alone. :iiam:

Edit: Figured out the murmur/mumble issue, I guess the new version of Qt and/or OpenSSL wants to intermediate cert(s) for StartSSL. Put these two files into one file (single line between the cert blocks) and used the "sslCa" parameter in mumble-server.ini to handle it.

http://www.startssl.com/certs/ca.pem
http://www.startssl.com/certs/sub.class1.server.ca.pem

madsushi fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Oct 20, 2012

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Is there a way to make "Gnome Classic" actually look like Gnome looked?

Menu items and icons seem really crowded and ran-together in Ubuntu.

The top one is CentOS 6.3, the bottom one is in Ubuntu 12.04.1.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

fourwood posted:

Just kidding. At least it seems to be a minor issue (not a hosed system) but DNS resolution doesn't work for me now.

Turns out resolv.conf needs to point nameserver to 127.0.1.1, not 127.0.0.1 like it was. :confused:

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

madsushi posted:

My 12.04->12.10 (server) experience:

Server 1: Pretty much just BIND, running on VMWare

Update went smooth (do-release-upgrade -d), only issue was that the virtual NIC didn't show up after the first reboot. Rebooted again and it showed up, everything was fine.

Server 2: LAMP / Mail (Postfix/Dovecot) / LNMP (nginx) / murmur / BIND, all on a Linode

Issues:
  • Postfix changed their TLS/SSL string in main.cf:

• Apache was upset about some missing folders in my /sites-available/default file, previously just warned about these, but post-update wouldn't actually start until I fixed the paths

• nginx wouldn't start due to config issues. Of course it had reverted back to the non-SPDY version (1.2.x) rather than the newer version I had installed from source (1.3.x). Had to uninstall it with apt-get and reinstall it from source. (http://nginx.org/patches/spdy/README.txt)
If you had installed 1.3 as a package you wouldn't have this issue. If you're going to directly install from source then just uninstall the package and install the dependencies manually.

madsushi posted:

• My murmur/mumble server is now giving cert warnings when people connect, even though the cert is valid and I left the config alone. :iiam:

Edit: Figured out the murmur/mumble issue, I guess the new version of Qt and/or OpenSSL wants to intermediate cert(s) for StartSSL. Put these two files into one file (single line between the cert blocks) and used the "sslCa" parameter in mumble-server.ini to handle it.

http://www.startssl.com/certs/ca.pem
    http://www.startssl.com/certs/sub.class1.server.ca.pem

• In general I don't really see the point in updating server releases unless you absolutely need some features offered in new versions of software (and the application doesn't offer prepackaged debs or you're too lazy to roll your own) or the release is nearing its end of life.

fourwood posted:

Turns out resolv.conf needs to point nameserver to 127.0.1.1, not 127.0.0.1 like it was. :confused:

It usually pays to read the release notes.

quote:

In order to improve compatibility with other local nameserver packages, NetworkManager now assigns IP address 127.0.1.1 to the local nameserver process that it controls instead of 127.0.0.1. If the system's /etc/resolv.conf is absent or is a static file instead of the symbolic link to ../run/resolvconf/resolv.conf installed by default then this static file will have to be updated by the administrator in order to continue using the NetworkManager-controlled nameserver.
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/QuantalQuetzal/ReleaseNotes/UbuntuDesktop

ShadowHawk
    Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Longinus00 posted:

If you had installed 1.3 as a package you wouldn't have this issue. If you're going to directly install from source then just uninstall the package and install the dependencies manually.

In general I don't really see the point in updating server releases unless you absolutely need some features offered in new versions of software (and the application doesn't offer prepackaged debs or you're too lazy to roll your own) or the release is nearing its end of life.

It usually pays to read the release notes.
    At least, in the case where you've done something other than install/uninstall distribution packages. Those upgrades usually go just fine.

When you start modifying config files, installing things from source, or manually moving files in folders other than /home, then things might get weird and conflict.

madsushi
    Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
    #essereFerrari

Longinus00 posted:

I wanted SPDY support, which is not included in 1.3.x (and the default Ubuntu nginx package is 1.2.x anyway), but rather has to be patched in manually from source. I wasn't complaining about the problem, just sharing that note with anyone else using nginx/SPDY that might be upgrading.

Longinus00
    Dec 29, 2005
    Ur-Quan

madsushi posted:

I wanted SPDY support, which is not included in 1.3.x (and the default Ubuntu nginx package is 1.2.x anyway), but rather has to be patched in manually from source. I wasn't complaining about the problem, just sharing that note with anyone else using nginx/SPDY that might be upgrading.

It's only a problem if they are doing something behind the package managers back. You could use your experience as an inspiration to learn how to make deb packages from source via one of the myriad of tools available (e.g. debuild, pbuilder, sbuild).

madsushi
    Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
    #essereFerrari

Longinus00 posted:

It's only a problem if they are doing something behind the package managers back.

Which is something that happens quite commonly, believe it or not. My post was a reminder: "If you built nginx from source to mess around with SPDY, it might not work after you update to 12.10." I appreciate the information on how it "should" be done; I was offering advice on how I've actually seen it done.

EconOutlines
    Jul 3, 2004

What would be a good resource (book or website) for a Ubuntu Server crash course? I'm trying to set up/become knowledgeable about doing my own Ubuntu Server but GUI over the years has killed me with Windows/OS X.

I'm pretty much looking for something that will a)help me run a headless server remotely, and b)a good CLI foundation where I can navigate comfortably without having to copy&paste or constantly reference commands.

Remote GUI or web panel access would be nice, but I ultimately need to learn this stuff. Dealing with Putty for the past few days has been :eng99:

EconOutlines fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Oct 21, 2012

ShadowHawk
    Jun 25, 2000

madsushi posted:

Which is something that happens quite commonly, believe it or not. My post was a reminder: "If you built nginx from source to mess around with SPDY, it might not work after you update to 12.10." I appreciate the information on how it "should" be done; I was offering advice on how I've actually seen it done.
    What you "should" have done is not build from source at all but instead use the packages in the nginx team's Ubuntu PPA: https://launchpad.net/~nginx

The 1.3 branch is currently in their development PPA: https://launchpad.net/~nginx/+archive/development

code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nginx/development

Bob Morales
    Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Roving Reporter posted:

What would be a good resource (book or website) for a Ubuntu Server crash course? I'm trying to set up/become knowledgeable about doing my own Ubuntu Server but GUI over the years has killed me with Windows/OS X.

I'm pretty much looking for something that will a)help me run a headless server remotely, and b)a good CLI foundation where I can navigate comfortably without having to copy&paste or constantly reference commands.

Remote GUI or web panel access would be nice, but I ultimately need to learn this stuff. Dealing with Putty for the past few days has been :eng99:

This isn't a bad start:

http://www.amazon.com/Ubuntu-Unleashed-2012-Edition-Covering/dp/0672335786/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

And this to get more technical:

http://www.amazon.com/Practical-Guide-Ubuntu-Linux-3rd/dp/013254248X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1350831854&sr=1-1&keywords=ubuntu+linux

angrytech
    Jun 26, 2009
    Ok everyone, madsushi wasn't complaining about the error, they were commenting on how to fix it.
    For content of my own: I upgraded to 12.10 and now I can't log in at the GUI. From what I can tell, there's an issue with lightdm or the unity greeter crashing; I can log in from the tty just fine.

Craptacular!
    Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
    I'm enjoying the new GNOME spin but keep in mind it comes very, very bare boned. Like, you may want to install update-manager right away, and probably notify-osd. And because of dependency hell issues with Unity, you'd want to add the GNOME3 PPA to have the latest versions of certain utilities.

Though if you're one of the people who hate the new Nautilus etc, you can forget that last part.

Xenomorph posted:

Is there a way to make "Gnome Classic" actually look like Gnome looked?
    Making GNOME 3 look like GNOME 2 will result in little itty bitty differences that will drive you nuts if you're OCD enough. You may want to just consider using MATE or something instead.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Oct 21, 2012

madsushi
    Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
    #essereFerrari

ShadowHawk posted:

What you "should" have done is not build from source at all but instead use the packages in the nginx team's Ubuntu PPA: https://launchpad.net/~nginx

The 1.3 branch is currently in their development PPA: https://launchpad.net/~nginx/+archive/development

code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nginx/development

Except that their PPA doesn't have the SPDY patch applied, which has to be done at compile time. You have to download the 1.3 development source, apply the SPDY patch yourself, and build from there.

ShadowHawk
    Jun 25, 2000

madsushi posted:

Except that their PPA doesn't have the SPDY patch applied, which has to be done at compile time. You have to download the 1.3 development source, apply the SPDY patch yourself, and build from there.
    Ahh I see.

Then what you "should" have done is build the package from source after adding the patch to its patchset. This is surprisingly straightforward to do these days, but the procedure isn't quite well-known outside of people who can genuinely call themselves "Ubuntu Developers".

It also isn't yet the same method for every package -- some need to be migrated to the newer format still.

I'm going to consider blogging some "become a small-time Ubuntu developer who can make PPAs" kind of howtos, cause we could definitely use them and it's a fairly straightforward path from there to onboarding new Ubuntu developers :)

Longinus00
    Dec 29, 2005
    Ur-Quan

madsushi posted:

Who installs a package and then proceeds to install something else on top of it? Where have you seen this recommended? If you wanted to keep the package version and source version around at the same time why didn't you install into /usr/local? Why don't you simply uninstall the package version and just keep the source version (or better yet roll your own package)? You do know that any security update to nginx will break your setup again right?

ShadowHawk

Do you know what the release schedule for this is? Is it going to wait for 12.04.2? https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/Release/Rolling

ShadowHawk
    Jun 25, 2000

Longinus00 posted:

Who installs a package and then proceeds to install something else on top of it? Where have you seen this recommended? If you wanted to keep the package version and source version around at the same time why didn't you install into /usr/local? Why don't you simply uninstall the package version and just keep the source version (or better yet roll your own package)? You do know that any security update to nginx will break your setup again right?

ShadowHawk

Do you know what the release schedule for this is? Is it going to wait for 12.04.2? https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/Release/Rolling

Not exactly, but from reading the page I imagine that the new hardware enablement kernels will be in the archive before the next point release (but it won't become default on install until then)

ErikTheRed
    Mar 12, 2007

My name is Deckard Cain and I've come on out to greet ya, so sit your ass and listen or I'm gonna have to beat ya.

Looks like the first book you mentioned is getting a new edition in December:
    http://www.amazon.com/Ubuntu-Unleashed-2013-Edition-Covering/dp/0672336243/

Though if you're doing a server, 12.04 LTS is probably the way to go so the current book is probably fine.

ShadowHawk
    Jun 25, 2000

I'm thinking of delaying the 12.10 thread until after next week (when I get back from the Ubuntu Developer Summit), or perhaps just transitioning to a more general Ubuntu thread rather than tying the threads to specific versions. I'm quite happy to recommend people keep installing 12.04, it's a very strong release.

edit: not because of major problems with 12.10 or anything, just it seems like 12.04 is going to be the first LTS release that people actually do keep around on their desktops for years.

The Merkinman
    Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
    It seems Ubuntu wants me to stay on 12.04! I installed 12.10 from a USB drive, noticed icons were glitchy. Saw that the open source Noveau drivers were being used. Switched to nVidia ones (while installing said drivers Compiz crashes). Reboot, and now Compiz (and as such all of Unity) never start! So I'm stuck with a handful of desktop icons.

Really? Is the LTS the only version that is checked for bugs or something?

EDIT: and Virtualbox won't run and my external drives no longer mount (though a 3.5" floppy THAT DOESN'T EXIST mounts)?

The Merkinman fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Oct 24, 2012

Xenomorph
    Jun 13, 2001

ShadowHawk posted:

edit: not because of major problems with 12.10 or anything, just it seems like 12.04 is going to be the first LTS release that people actually do keep around on their desktops for years.

Not 10.04? It's the last Gnome2 LTS release.

FlapYoJacks
    Feb 12, 2009
    At least 12.10 has svn 7.5. gently caress you Canonical for releasing a LTS WITHOUT SVN7.5 gently caress.

Aquila
    Jan 24, 2003

ShadowHawk posted:

I'll be running 10.04 on my desktop at work til my hosting provider upgrades their servers from 10.04 server... so forever I think.

The Merkinman
    Apr 22, 2007

Xenomorph posted:

Not 10.04? It's the last Gnome2 LTS release.
    The desktop version of 10.04 has 3 years of support, so that's only 6 months left as of this post. 12.04 has 5 years desktop support so that will be April 2017

Aquila posted:

I'll be running 10.04 on my desktop at work til my hosting provider upgrades their servers from 10.04 server... so forever I think.
    It's true 10.04 Server has 5 years support, but I'm going to guess most of the questions here will be desktop oriented

Plus, you guys should have brought this up when the 10.04 thread was killed in favor of 10.10 :v:

Xenomorph
    Jun 13, 2001
    The samba4 installer is busted on 12.04. This are no less than 611 "duplicate" bug reports on Ubuntu's bug-tracker page from so many people reporting this.
    I was trying to test samba4 and ran into the error. After googling it I discovered a *lot* of people had the error.

Someone said it will be fixed in 12.10+ (obviously not LTS) and not 12.04, so all of us LTS users can go gently caress ourselves.

For testing Desktop use, 12.10 shipped with some busted version of "xserver-xorg-core" that causes havoc in some configurations (launchpad# 1041063 has an example of this) and has prevented me from using it much.

I've not been too happy with 12.04 or 12.10. :holy:

Bob Morales
    Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

The Merkinman posted:

The desktop version of 10.04 has 3 years of support, so that's only 6 months left as of this post. 12.04 has 5 years desktop support so that will be April 2017

Heh, I just updated the old P4 I gave to my mom that was running Ubuntu 9.

Adbot
    ADBOT LOVES YOU

Longinus00
    Dec 29, 2005
    Ur-Quan

ratbert90 posted:

At least 12.10 has svn 7.5. gently caress you Canonical for releasing a LTS WITHOUT SVN7.5 gently caress.

Didn't 1.7.5 come out after 12.04?

Xenomorph posted:

The samba4 installer is busted on 12.04. This are no less than 611 "duplicate" bug reports on Ubuntu's bug-tracker page from so many people reporting this.
    I was trying to test samba4 and ran into the error. After googling it I discovered a *lot* of people had the error.

Someone said it will be fixed in 12.10+ (obviously not LTS) and not 12.04, so all of us LTS users can go gently caress ourselves.

For testing Desktop use, 12.10 shipped with some busted version of "xserver-xorg-core" that causes havoc in some configurations (launchpad# 1041063 has an example of this) and has prevented me from using it much.

I've not been too happy with 12.04 or 12.10. :holy:

Isn't samba4 not even out of testing? It might not even have been in beta when 12.04 came out. If you really want to test then do yourself a favor are run the latest version directly from upstream. It seems like most of those bug reports were from people who were told to install samba4 via command-not-found instead of something sane like samba.

• Locked thread