Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

It's not like Ippo has no redeeming values anymore. The comedy aspect of it is still strong really and I think we all still care about what happens to the characters, hence why someone like Vorg can still promote positive reactions.

I think it's difficult to take a combat sports manga to nearly 1000 chapters and still be coming up with new ideas that don't suck. The problem is clear - it should have been finished years ago before the gimmicks were getting ridiculous, that's kind of an inevitability of its length.

For me though, I still hold out some hope that Morikawa has had some of his future (more important) fights planned for a long time, so he thought of ideas for them back in his better days and is just trying to use up his shittier ideas first before he gets to the crucial stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

He only hits me cuz he's havin trouble at work I know he loves me!

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

DamnGlitch posted:

George doesn't deliberately abuse us, he just tries out awkward new techniques, supposedly with the intent of our gratification. Sadly, the end result is pain and confusion.

But that doesn't mean the magic is definitely gone! He's not a bad guy, he just needs to reignite his spark...and perhaps the world is the stage to do it on!

KoB
May 1, 2009

DamnGlitch posted:

Uh, its a comic we read online for free. Its not like we lose anything by reading it.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

KoB posted:

Uh, its a comic we read online for free. Its not like we lose anything by reading it.

Self-respect and sanity.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

KoB posted:

It's a joke. An old joke even, considering the week to week rage over new (bad) chapters and the continued pining for new (good, not going to happen) chapters. And then the faint glimmer of light when something not terrible happens and all of that joy and relief and then back to garbage.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

So, 3 new translated chapters out. Go read them and stuff. They're not that bad. They have Sendo and Volg and that's good, right? :v:

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
Chapter 982-984

Vagrancy fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Sep 26, 2012

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

About drat time.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Morikawa is a dick for giving more time to his other manga than Ippo....

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
Do they explain the cat army? I want one now.

KoB
May 1, 2009

KittenofDoom posted:

Do they explain the cat army? I want one now.

Its probably just because Sendo is known as the Naniwa Tiger.

Also probably to contrast with Ippo because Ippo has the dog

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.
And also probably one-upsmanship. Ippo's only got one dog, so Sendo has to gather a whole cat army.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Well then Sendo loses, because one dog is worth more than an army of cats :smugdog:

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Sorry to airdrop in on this thread, but I just finished getting caught up on the anime and was wondering what the status was for continuation of that, if anyone knows.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Fix posted:

Sorry to airdrop in on this thread, but I just finished getting caught up on the anime and was wondering what the status was for continuation of that, if anyone knows.
One of the VAs said it was greenlit like 2 years ago, then nothing really.

Personally, I can see why they wouldn't have thought animating most of the stuff after Bryan Hawk was a great idea. There's like 2-3 fights total in the dozen+ after that worth animating.

Rhygezenguro
Feb 13, 2012

Fabricated posted:

Personally, I can see why they wouldn't have thought animating most of the stuff after Bryan Hawk was a great idea.

I would kill for a Sawamura OVA or something.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Aoki's title fight animated would be glorious.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Fabricated posted:

One of the VAs said it was greenlit like 2 years ago, then nothing really.

Personally, I can see why they wouldn't have thought animating most of the stuff after Bryan Hawk was a great idea. There's like 2-3 fights total in the dozen+ after that worth animating.

The Eagle fight could be a season in itself.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

hieronymus posted:

The Eagle fight could be a season in itself.
Eagle, the counter-guy who crashes his stupid bike and gets maimed, and whoever the guy was that Ippo just completely loving dominated would be the only things worth animating off the top of my head.

Mashiba/Douchebag Counter Guy would probably be a good side-movie thing. The rest? Meh.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007
They should get David Attenborough to narrate "Boxing at the bottom of the sea."

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Lets be fair, the real crime is not getting to see the postwar flashback :\

Season 2 was NOT great, there were plenty of niggling things, but that arc is stellar and it's awful that it hasn't made it to animation yet. Perfectly situated for an OVA or movie.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Chapter 985-989

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

:argh:

Don't leave me hanging like this!

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

Woah, a good, clean, no-gimmick fight. Though it probably helped that the chapters got released in bulk.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Here come Vorg, attempting to save the manga. Will he succeed???

Reis
Sep 11, 2005
So is Volg supposed to be fighting a Floyd Mayweather Jr. stand-in?

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Reis posted:

So is Volg supposed to be fighting a Floyd Mayweather Jr. stand-in?

I would totally be hyped for a string of fights against various more recent boxers. Or rather very obvious stand ins. Ippo needs to face a mini–Tyson. Or Takamura face a klitschko.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I would be cool with any fighters that aren't sort of racist jumping monkey men.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Volg is getting hosed up.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.
I really hope this fight isn't Volg getting sacrificed to teach Ippo that THE WORLD IS SERIOUS TIME or something like that.

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

onepixeljumpman posted:

I really hope this fight isn't Volg getting sacrificed to teach Ippo that THE WORLD IS SERIOUS TIME or something like that.

Well, that already happened with Date, so hopefully we don't need to be reminded of this poo poo again.
Hopefully Volg wins, which proves as an inspiration for Ippo to start taking on the world.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
So whatever happened to Vorg being an outfighter and only switching to infighting to appease the crowds in Japan? I'm pretty sure Ippo even mentions it in this batch of chapters. Was he just too hurt from the first exchange to keep mobile for the rest of the first round?

Poor Vorg though. Literally the most tragic character in the manga. Dude can never catch a break.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Hortism posted:

Well, that already happened with Date, so hopefully we don't need to be reminded of this poo poo again.
Hopefully Volg wins, which proves as an inspiration for Ippo to start taking on the world.
He will activate THE WILL OF THE COLD WAR in four chapters and then Dempsey Rolls the gently caress out of town

Hyun.
May 8, 2008

Hortism posted:

Wasn't the Date/Martinez fight like four years ago? I think a reminder that THE WORLD IS SPOOKY SCARY is alright after so long.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

Hyun. posted:

Wasn't the Date/Martinez fight like four years ago? I think a reminder that THE WORLD IS SPOOKY SCARY is alright after so long.

I was thinking this too, and it would be alright, except then what was the point of doing it the first time around? It's not like it's ever mattered between then and now. Why couldn't they have just delayed Date's fight, or better yet, cut out some of the stupid poo poo we had to read between then and now?

If another reminder actually is needed -- and it might be -- then that's only because the pacing of this manga is so lovely. So I vote we go ahead and whine about it if this cool character and his cool fight go to waste over it.

McNerd fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Oct 19, 2012

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
I doubt this is going to be a "the world sure is tough" demonstration given the focus on Vorg unpreparedness with the sudden fight and all. The next reality check will be Sendo's sacrifice against Martinez or Ippo's fight against Alfredo in my opinion.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

ilifinicus posted:

He will activate THE WILL OF THE COLD WAR in four chapters and then Dempsey Rolls the gently caress out of town
He will invent a new ~special technique~ that evolves from the fang thing he has now and calls it SATELLITE NATIONS, where one fist is Russia, and the other is Cuba, and his fists are warheads, and they come from close up and from not as close up, and this American boxer doesn't know what to do.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Chapter 990-992

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Straight up boxing match. I dare not jinx it but this manga might be starting to get good again.