Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Jeff Goldblum posted:

As I've feared, now is it true that there's no phone left on God's green Earth that I can get without having to pay some kind of data plan now anyway? I'm still grandfathering on a LG EnV3 that I got over 4 years ago to avoid paying that poo poo.

Also, one of the lines in my family plan does have the data plan, but I'm not sure if its that Shared Data plan. Any way I can fanangle my way into getting in on that data?

If they are on a family plan just grab any stupid non smartphone and pay $9.99/m for your line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Bionic ICS has been approved by Verizon.

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/10/18/droid-bionic-ice-cream-sandwich-update-finally-approved-as-build-6-7-246/

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

It's got planets and stuff.

Mighty Horse posted:

This is a Maxx. Its pretty heavy. I am so happy with the Razr M's size, I don't think I will switch.

I wish there was a Razr M MAXX. Would be the perfect phone, IMO. Since I have an tablet, I'm getting tired of carrying around these gargantu-phones.

Yummers
Mar 5, 2011

if you like my car STEP OFF BITCH I HAVE NO TIME FOR YOU

also ask me about shapnel wounds

w00t, thanks for the news. I was running a pre-release build that wasn't exactly stable but it was still a big improvement over MotoUI gingerbread. I'm going to install this and that should make the Bionic a suitable backup phone.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

RVProfootballer posted:

Err, that's a good chunk of change for something you're upgrading and will then have no use for. The value of that Bionic is only going to go down over time, so throwing it in a drawer rather than selling it isn't going to bring down the cost of the new phone. If money's tight, you might want to wait ~1 month until used phones start showing up, probably around the $500 level.

I was just shocked at the low price on the device. I sold my Fascinate off about 3 months ago and got that much for it. Money isn't really the issue, I just figured to get around $200 or so for it. I'd rather drop the $650 on a NEW phone over spending $500 on a used one.

Hmm, maybe I'll try this out and hold out on a new phone. Excellent news either way.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

User 31574 posted:

I was just shocked at the low price on the device. I sold my Fascinate off about 3 months ago and got that much for it. Money isn't really the issue, I just figured to get around $200 or so for it. I'd rather drop the $650 on a NEW phone over spending $500 on a used one.

Hmm, maybe I'll try this out and hold out on a new phone. Excellent news either way.

Maybe that price will tick back up a little once ICS is actually released!

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
I just got the RAZR M as my first smartphone, and I was wondering if anyone has had trouble with battery life and reception. My girlfriend's Droid 2 gets 4-bar 3G reception in our tiny apartment, while I get 1 bar with no 3G/4G whatsoever. It even has trouble connecting to WiFi through my bedroom wall. I see everyone here happy with the RAZR M battery life, but I've seen it drop 10% in an hour of doing nothing.

Do I have a lemon or are these known issues?

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."
very clearly a lemon. Exchange it.

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your GPS
I'd be a heavenly person today

Is there any way to force it, or do you just have to wait?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

ModestMuse posted:

Is there any way to force it, or do you just have to wait?

Apparently the update is the same as the leaked 246 build, so you can track it down and follow those instructions to update it.

It hasn't STARTED rolling out yet, Verizon just approved which means is should start any day now.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

The ICS update for the bionic is currently soak testing. Does anyone know what the timeline between soaking and a full roll out is? It's my typical loving luck that as soon as I decide to go through the operation of trying to flash a leaked ICS update verizon starts doing an official one so I can't seem to find a link to the 246 package anywhere.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

cr0y posted:

The ICS update for the bionic is currently soak testing. Does anyone know what the timeline between soaking and a full roll out is? It's my typical loving luck that as soon as I decide to go through the operation of trying to flash a leaked ICS update verizon starts doing an official one so I can't seem to find a link to the 246 package anywhere.

If it's starting soak today, Motorola usually lets them go for a few days over the weekend and than rollout usually happens sometime later next week.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Is it kosher to ask for a link for the 246 leak? Since the ota is soaking everyone is pulling down the leak threads but damnit i'm tired of waiting.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

bull3964 posted:

Just a reminder though, community support for the GS3 on Verizon can be fleeting if they decide to patch the exploit that allows the bootloader to be unlocked.

This is actually very unlikely, as it's not a bootloader unlock (in that there's not a switch that gets flipped), but an actual replacement bootloader.

Once one replaces the bootloader, it's INCREDIBLY unlikely that they'll be running stock, which means no OTAs to further break it.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
I'm curious how different rooting etc is on the GS3 than previous Samsung phones. Can you not use Odin to flash whatever you want? Is there some one click exploit type thing you have to do first, then it's use Odin like before?

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
What is the right way to contact Verizon and tell them they have the shittiest backhaul in the world? Seriously a 3G signal at nearly full strength should be able to do more than 15kb/s. Especially in the part of the city near malls and shopping centers.

In theory the city is on a major highway corridor and should get 4G service like similarly rural I-89 or I-91, but hot drat without backhaul it will never happen.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

AlexDeGruven posted:

This is actually very unlikely, as it's not a bootloader unlock (in that there's not a switch that gets flipped), but an actual replacement bootloader.

Once one replaces the bootloader, it's INCREDIBLY unlikely that they'll be running stock, which means no OTAs to further break it.

Just hope you won't have to replace the phone under warranty though.

I'm just saying, go back the standard axiom. By the phone for what it does out of the box in an official manner. Anything else is bonus but shouldn't be considered in the purchasing decision.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:

waffle iron posted:

What is the right way to contact Verizon and tell them they have the shittiest backhaul in the world? Seriously a 3G signal at nearly full strength should be able to do more than 15kb/s. Especially in the part of the city near malls and shopping centers.

In theory the city is on a major highway corridor and should get 4G service like similarly rural I-89 or I-91, but hot drat without backhaul it will never happen.

Yeah my girlfriend laughs when I get so flustered when the 4g goes out while I'm driving and streaming music, and then it takes a solid minute for the phone to buffer the next song, which still isn't a guarantee it'll play back alright.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

RVProfootballer posted:

I'm curious how different rooting etc is on the GS3 than previous Samsung phones. Can you not use Odin to flash whatever you want? Is there some one click exploit type thing you have to do first, then it's use Odin like before?

Because of the locked bootloader, it's a little more difficult than some other phones. You have to do the rooting via Odin, but then that gives you access to the one-click bootloader replacement (it's really not an unlock).

I haven't read that deeply into the specifics yet since I'm waiting for more stability with CM10 on the GS3, myself.

bull3964 posted:

Just hope you won't have to replace the phone under warranty though.

I'm just saying, go back the standard axiom. By the phone for what it does out of the box in an official manner. Anything else is bonus but shouldn't be considered in the purchasing decision.

Even then, you're looking at a minor detail. You already need to use Odin to root, so flashing back to a stock ROM is trivial.

Unless you can't even boot into download mode, in which case they won't be able to tell you've unlocked anyway.

AlexDeGruven fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Oct 19, 2012

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

AlexDeGruven posted:

Even then, you're looking at a minor detail. You already need to use Odin to root, so flashing back to a stock ROM is trivial.

Unless you can't even boot into download mode, in which case they won't be able to tell you've unlocked anyway.

That's not what I mean. I meant when you finally get your refurb device and it's on a patch level that prevents you from doing everything you used to do. That's the risk.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

bull3964 posted:

That's not what I mean. I meant when you finally get your refurb device and it's on a patch level that prevents you from doing everything you used to do. That's the risk.

If you can root, you can reflash the unlocked bootloader. There is yet to be an unrootable device/build out there.

I understand what you're saying, but it's a bit hyperbolic considering the tenacity of rooters.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Does anyone have either new razr and if so how's the camera I've been hearing every reviewer blast it but I'd like to know if it's legit

Yummers
Mar 5, 2011

if you like my car STEP OFF BITCH I HAVE NO TIME FOR YOU

also ask me about shapnel wounds

RVProfootballer posted:

Yes. Odin can be used but there's actually several methods.

The XDA guides are here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1672

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Razr HD and HD MAXX Engadget review is up.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/19/droid-razr-hd-and-razr-maxx-hd-review/

While reading about global roaming support, it made me wonder if the Razr HD is fully unlocked like the iPhone. I would be more inclined to purchase it full retail if I could try out some pre-paid services at the end of my contract to see if they were good enough to use full time.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Motorola has posted their update list and list of phones that qualify for $100 off a new phone.

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/10/19/motorola-posts-list-of-phones-not-receiving-jelly-bean-confirms-which-phones-will-get-the-update/

Both the Droid 4 and Droid Bionic will be getting Jelly Bean.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

bull3964 posted:

Motorola has posted their update list and list of phones that qualify for $100 off a new phone.

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/10/19/motorola-posts-list-of-phones-not-receiving-jelly-bean-confirms-which-phones-will-get-the-update/

Both the Droid 4 and Droid Bionic will be getting Jelly Bean.

Nice. Going to hold on to the Bionic for now.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

wandler20 posted:

Nice. Going to hold on to the Bionic for now.

Even just ICS feels like they OTA'd me a new phone.

modig
Aug 20, 2002
After asking this thread a bunch of questions about avoiding Share Everything when we upgrade, it turns out my brother is getting promoted and will almost certainly need unlimited voice now, which is absurdly expensive on the old Family Plans. So Share Everything here we come, unless we can get by with 2000 mins + favorites.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

redstormpopcorn posted:

Even just ICS feels like they OTA'd me a new phone.

Now I'm getting impatient waiting for it to come. Hopefully it comes early next week.

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I

wandler20 posted:

Now I'm getting impatient waiting for it to come. Hopefully it comes early next week.

Try deleting the cache from the Google Frameworks Services and keep tapping check for updates.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
Does the thunderbolt have ice cream sandwich yet?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Does the thunderbolt have ice cream sandwich yet?
Good one.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
I'm actually curious since I used to own one, but I guess that answers my question :smith:

ExtremeODD
Jul 16, 2005

Freaking finally! Too bad I just got into the S3, but the gf is using the bionic now so she may like that (not tech savvy). The only issue is her allowing me to downgrade it from 232 to 905 for the OTA update.

The Catalyst
Jan 29, 2003

I'm Mister Hundred and One.

blakout posted:

Does anyone have either new razr and if so how's the camera I've been hearing every reviewer blast it but I'd like to know if it's legit

I too am curious to hear if camera on the Maxx HD is any better than the one on the old Razr Maxx.
I had the old Razr Maxx for a few months but ended up getting rid of it.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."
I tried the Maxx HD in a store today and took pictures with it. The camera was passable at best. Not great, shots were fairly blurry. I don't think it's a problem with the hardware, I think it's the fact that motorola hasn't bothered to upgrade its camera software since the Droid X days. I wouldn't be surprised if it's the exact same hardware. I'm going to try it out again next week (i'm pretty set on buying the phone over the S3 despite s3's much better camera) and download a few camera apps to see if they can do it better.

I think the biggest issue is the shutter speed is slow which results in blurry shots due to your hands shaking. Perhaps third party apps can increase the shutter speeds. If not, oh well, the camera is still ok, just not great. I'm on a Droid X, so anything is an improvement.

I have to say from my short time with it, this is the first phone from Motorola or anyone else where I'm not mad that the ROM isn't stock Android. There are barely any changes to the OS and the only ones that are obvious are actually improvements (smart actions and the quick settings menu are fantastic). I'm actually comfortable with the prospect of leaving the ROM intact and not switching to CM10 once the bootloader gets unlocked. Root, obviously, is still a necessity. Good job Motorola.

negativeneil fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Oct 20, 2012

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

nerdrum posted:

Try deleting the cache from the Google Frameworks Services and keep tapping check for updates.

Been trying this without luck. Just going to have to be patient I guess.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

chupacabraTERROR posted:

I'm actually curious since I used to own one, but I guess that answers my question :smith:
No worries, it's getting it last August! :v:

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Come on Verizon, please push the Bionic update out to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

wandler20 posted:

Come on Verizon, please push the Bionic update out to me.

For the Galaxy Nexus Jelly Bean update, I did the clear Google framework trick like several dozen times before it took. If you're feeling impatient, you can keep mashing away at that.

• Locked thread