Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
Finished my Abercrombie re-read two weeks early. It is truly the first world-est of all the problems. :arghfist::(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stubb Dogg
Feb 16, 2007

loskat naamalle
Just finished Red Country. Say one thing for this book, say it was definitely influenced by Deadwood and spaghetti westerns.

Robot Danger
Mar 18, 2012
I've only read The First Law trilogy. Do his standalone works all take place in this same world/time period?

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

They take place a few years after the trilogy. I would highly recommend reading all three of the new books. Read Best Served Cold, then The Heroes, then Red Country. That's the chronological order.

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004

Stubb Dogg posted:

Just finished Red Country. Say one thing for this book, say it was definitely influenced by Deadwood and spaghetti westerns.

Bastard!

You had me running off to amazon as I couldn't remember what the release date was other than sometime this month, only to be disappointed.

Stubb Dogg
Feb 16, 2007

loskat naamalle

Hemp Knight posted:

Bastard!

You had me running off to amazon as I couldn't remember what the release date was other than sometime this month, only to be disappointed.
Release date for Kindle edition was Sep 27th (I think) here in Finland.

For whatever reason, even though I have to use amazon.com I still get books couple of months before US release. Probably all of EU countries follow UK publication dates?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Stubb Dogg posted:

Anything else you can tell us about it that's non-spoiler? Where would you rank it compared to his other books?

Stubb Dogg
Feb 16, 2007

loskat naamalle

Hughmoris posted:

Anything else you can tell us about it that's non-spoiler? Where would you rank it compared to his other books?
I'd say it's on par with Heroes, which I really liked. Whoever said it's a spaghetti western (in a good, dollar trilogy way) with swords and axes was pretty much spot on.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Stubb Dogg posted:

I'd say it's on par with Heroes, which I really liked. Whoever said it's a spaghetti western (in a good, dollar trilogy way) with swords and axes was pretty much spot on.

I got a strong Unforgiven vibe from previous descriptions, is that off the mark?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Stubb Dogg posted:

That's good; Heroes is comfortably my favorite.

Loten
Dec 8, 2005

Thanks to this thread I've recently read through all of Abercrombie's books and enjoyed them all thoroughly. November 13 (Australian kindle release of Red Country) can't come soon enough!

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I went camping this weekend and someone asked if I had a knife on me. I had three, and they asked if that was excessive, to which I replied "You can never have too many knives." :black101:

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

Stubb Dogg posted:

Release date for Kindle edition was Sep 27th (I think) here in Finland.

For whatever reason, even though I have to use amazon.com I still get books couple of months before US release. Probably all of EU countries follow UK publication dates?
Did you buy it from Amazon? Because it says it will be released on the 18th. If so, that kind of sucks because I'll be on a long train ride on the 17th and could use some new Abercrombie. If it ain't possible, I'll have to buy a Dragon Age novel or something.

Stubb Dogg
Feb 16, 2007

loskat naamalle

Rurik posted:

Did you buy it from Amazon? Because it says it will be released on the 18th. If so, that kind of sucks because I'll be on a long train ride on the 17th and could use some new Abercrombie. If it ain't possible, I'll have to buy a Dragon Age novel or something.
Yeah, it was from Amazon. I think they might've screwed up because there were couple of other books around same time preorderers got as well that should not have been released yet.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?

Beastie posted:

I went camping this weekend and someone asked if I had a knife on me. I had three, and they asked if that was excessive, to which I replied "You can never have too many knives." :black101:

Got a genuine laugh out of this. Can't wait for Red Country!

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
edit: :downs: I can't loving read

Contra Calculus fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Oct 18, 2012

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince
It's out and on my Kindle. And I'm in the middle of Blindsight. :saddowns:

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
So jealous of those across the pond that have access to Red Country. Is there any option for those in the states to an electronic version before November 13th? I don't mind paying a little extra.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
Here is a link to a site that ships worldwide and is selling the UK version.

http://www.bookdepository.com/Red-Country-Joe-Abercrombie/9780575095823

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Hughmoris posted:

So jealous of those across the pond that have access to Red Country. Is there any option for those in the states to an electronic version before November 13th? I don't mind paying a little extra.

Yes, on Kindle. I just tried this out:

1) Go to "Manage Your Kindle."
2) Choose "Country Settings."
3) Click "Change Country."
4) Enter a UK address. I used this address (which, IIRC, is the University of London's address from their "contact me" page):
Malet Street
London
WC1E 7HU
United Kingdom
+44 (0)20 7862 8000
5) Accept the oh-so-scary "transfer all my stuff to the UK site" option.
6) Go to https://www.amazon.co.uk (if you aren't automatically redirected, I can't remember).
7) Search for Red Country, and buy it.
8) Sync the Kindle to download Red Country.
9) Switch back to the US, using steps 1-4 (but your US address, obviously).
10) Cancel your US preorder of Red Country.

Seems fine for me so far.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
Oh god now the agonizing wait for it to ship to Canada while others are reading it RIGHT loving NOW :argh:

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

ulmont posted:

4) Enter a UK address. I used this address (which, IIRC, is the University of London's address from their "contact me" page):
Malet Street
London
WC1E 7HU
United Kingdom
+44 (0)20 7862 8000
6) Go to https://www.amazon.co.uk (if you aren't automatically redirected, I can't remember).

You are amazing! Worked like a charm.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Rurik posted:

It's out and on my Kindle. And I'm in the middle of Blindsight. :saddowns:

Now that's what I call a First World problem.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

Groke posted:

Now that's what I call a First World problem.
And it had a First World solution. I finished reading Blindsight yesterday and now I've begun Red Country. And it's awesome!!! :dance:

So great to see Cosca again. And really weird too when he was described having not that much hair and it was white and having liver spots. Time's really marched on. Logan has grey hair as well. I don't think Cosca might survive this book or at least if he does he won't probably be around for much longer. Abercrombie won't keep characters around just because of sentimentality or nostalgia. And seeing how Cosca is prone to ramble about his past glory and how Temple perceives him, maybe he isn't even the mercenary we knew and loved. Time and the drink have left their mark on him.

Heh, it's fun to write a box of black text people who don't yet have the book won't dare to read. :D

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009
Well, that was a good book.

spoilers ahead! for the people who like reading spoilers, this is about some of the characters from the trilogy and the other two books.
So Cosca's gone now, his death scene was sad but he was getting a bit too pathetic, there wasn't much left in him. I'm not clear on this, what happened to Friendly at the end?
Carlot dan Eider is the Mayor of a frontier town, she just survives everything Abercrombie can throw at her. :)
Ninefingers is probaly back in the game for the next trilogy, I'm pretty hyped about Bayaz getting a bit of payback in the future.
Not much about Monza in this book, she apparently succeeded in unifying Styria, Zacharius(?) made a few appearances, nothing about Ferro or Jezal. Glokta seems to be doing well as the head of the Union - everyone is terrified of him.

Did not like this book as much as Best Served Cold or The Heroes, it was a bit too chaotic for my taste but it's still worth a read or two.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

We watched our friends grow up together
And we saw them as they fell
Some of them fell into Heaven
Some of them fell into Hell
Must... resist urge... to read... spoilers... :ohdear:

Hurry up and ship my book already, Book Depository! :derp:

TrickyTrev
Feb 8, 2005
ZOMG I HAVE ROCKET
Anyone else get an email from amazon saying:

We're still trying to obtain the following item[s] you ordered on June 15, 2012

Joe Abercrombie "Red Country"

Is there a delay??

edit: Just did the previously posted kindle uk purchase method.

TrickyTrev fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Oct 19, 2012

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

ulmont posted:

Malet Street
London
WC1E 7HU
United Kingdom
+44 (0)20 7862 8000

I just wanted to add that you're a magnificent person for sharing this!

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
...accidentally moused over a spoiler when I opened the thread... dammit.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

joe, you bastard, making me cheer for a bloodthirsty psychopath again

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004

Kellanved posted:

Well, that was a good book.

spoilers ahead! for the people who like reading spoilers, this is about some of the characters from the trilogy and the other two books.
So Cosca's gone now, his death scene was sad but he was getting a bit too pathetic, there wasn't much left in him. I'm not clear on this, what happened to Friendly at the end?
Carlot dan Eider is the Mayor of a frontier town, she just survives everything Abercrombie can throw at her. :)
Ninefingers is probaly back in the game for the next trilogy, I'm pretty hyped about Bayaz getting a bit of payback in the future.
Not much about Monza in this book, she apparently succeeded in unifying Styria, Zacharius(?) made a few appearances, nothing about Ferro or Jezal. Glokta seems to be doing well as the head of the Union - everyone is terrified of him.

Did not like this book as much as Best Served Cold or The Heroes, it was a bit too chaotic for my taste but it's still worth a read or two.

Just finished it. First half felt pretty slow, but picked up nicely in the second half.

Is there a trilogy next? Hopefully itll be about glokta, bayaz, and the rest all scheming again if it is, but i'm not sure about logen being in it. He feels a bit played out now, and getting to ride off somewhere at the end feels a bit unsatisfying. I was pretty sure that he would be dead by the end, especially since Shivers was hunting for him and is the only character who could plausibly kill logen in a straight fight.

As for Bayaz, I was surprised that he or yoru sulfur or even Ikri didn't turn up at all. I thought they'd have been doing something behind the scenes. Why do you think he'll be getting a bit of payback though?

Friendly is a bit of a loose end (maybe he went back to prison?), and Carlot dan eider does indeed have a knack for coming out on top of things.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Finished it. It's bleak and horrible and violent as expected, and strangely uplifting at times. Sometimes it's like a fantasy Blood Meridian, sometimes Unforgiven, reminiscent of Custer's campaigns and the like. Some nice backgrounded commentary on industrialisation and colonialism, and some very foregrounded commentary on savagery and civilisation. Loved it, overall. The various climaxes are apocalyptic and satisfying. Abercrombie's craft as a writer continues to improve.

I couldn't help smiling when 'Legate Sarmis' showed up - I figured it out immediately, remembering the suits of Imperial armour that were in the Church of Dice, but it was still great.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I just started reading it today and I love it. I didn't know Cosca was gonna be in it so I was so happy when he first showed up in the book.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just finished this book (thank you, ulmont), and I loving loved it.

Logen vs. Glama Golden. :stare:

The Maker having a religion of kind, caring, emotional devotees. Cuz he was a good dude. The Unforgiven/Blood Meridian vibes about every single scene. The final showdown between Lamb and Shivers, which somehow ended the only satisfying way it could. Logen just keeps on keepin' on.

This book was The Blade Itself meets Western, and I loved every callback, and every moment of it. gently caress, that was amazing.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Finished it, I enjoyed it. Not sure if I liked it more than Best Served or The Heroes, but definitely worth it.

I really liked how his name was never flatout mentioned in the book, only references, to the point where I had to get the correct spelling of Logen from the thread.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
Just tell me one thing: Does Logen go all William Munny on some poor motherfuckers' asses?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Mr.48 posted:

Just tell me one thing: Does Logen go all William Munny on some poor motherfuckers' asses?

Answer to quoted question: He sure does!

Spoiler related to series in general: I'm starting to think Abercrombie should have killed Logen off. Either that or he's got to be old and pathetic in the next trilogy. Like Cosca was in this one.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Answer to quoted question: He sure does!

Spoiler related to series in general: I'm starting to think Abercrombie should have killed Logen off. Either that or he's got to be old and pathetic in the next trilogy. Like Cosca was in this one.

Old and pathetic are not the words I would use to describe Logen in this book. Even when he's not going Bloody Nine on people's asses, he's loving terrifying. Like, people might bring up his age over and over again, but it sure doesn't seem to have slowed him down any.

And I don't know if even William Munny would've smashed a man's head open on a bar, then nailed the poor bastard to it. :stare:

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Fly Molo posted:

Old and pathetic are not the words I would use to describe Logen in this book. Even when he's not going Bloody Nine on people's asses, he's loving terrifying. Like, people might bring up his age over and over again, but it sure doesn't seem to have slowed him down any.

And I don't know if even William Munny would've smashed a man's head open on a bar, then nailed the poor bastard to it. :stare:

I agree, but it's the fact that he apparently hasn't slowed down that kinda hurts my suspension of disbelief, and that's why I'm saying if he's around for the next trilogy he should be significantly slowed-down. He's in his what, mid-sixties now? If we assume that around a decade passes between every trilogy/standalone (which seems to be the case) then anyone from the first trilogy should be decrepit graybeards by the time this third trilogy rolls around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

Grand Prize Winner posted:

I agree, but it's the fact that he apparently hasn't slowed down that kinda hurts my suspension of disbelief, and that's why I'm saying if he's around for the next trilogy he should be significantly slowed-down. He's in his what, mid-sixties now? If we assume that around a decade passes between every trilogy/standalone (which seems to be the case) then anyone from the first trilogy should be decrepit graybeards by the time this third trilogy rolls around.

I don't think it's a spoiler to discuss the fact that Logen is in the most recent book, or his age, so this is going in the clear. There's a very minor spoiler quoted, so don't hover that if you're anal about it.

Anyway, he was in his 30s in the trilogy, and AFAIK The Heroes was about a decade later, which puts him at more like somewhere around late 40s to early 50s for Red Country. This page, although it doesn't list a citation, states that it's 13 years after the trilogy, which seems like a fairly specific number to pull out of your rear end. It jives with what I previously understood though, which is The Heroes occurring about a decade after the trilogy.

As for looking old as gently caress, living out in the poo poo ages your appearance quick, but if you've ever seen a 50-year-old farmer work, you're still plenty physically capable if you don't spend your life in an office chair. One particular dude I know is 60 years old and looks decrepit as gently caress, but if you tried to start something with him, he'd rip your head off and poo poo down your neck without breathing hard. Seriously, this it the guy I picture when I read Logen, right down to the heavy brow, sunken knuckles, and crooked sneer of a smile. When he fights people in bars now, he slaps them with his gorilla hands instead of punching so he doesn't fracture eye sockets, and I've never seen him even come close to losing, he's just freakishly fast and strong. At least three times, I've seen him slap people unconscious in one hit, it's honestly hilarious, he's just there like magic when a fight starts, and then it's over. So, by my estimation as long as next trilogy occurs within 15 years, it'll be (fantasy story) believable for a nice old-fashioned Logen massacre.

For anyone worried that this is spoiling Red Country, I'm discussing whether Logen will be able to trade punches in the next trilogy, if you want to see whether he actually gets into it in the current book you'll have to hover the spoilers.