Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Considering the emphasis the modders put on REALISM :argh: to the point of giving the factions names that are so correct that historians don't even use them, that seems completely ridiculous. I think vanilla gives the soldiers morale that is much higher than it would have been in reality for your average farmer-conscript put to war against his wishes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
I'm fine with low morale as long my my dudes had a good chance to rally before running off the map. Say my line is broken and most of my guys are running away, but my small reserve is holding off the enemy cavalry so no rout is taking place. It'd be great if most of my guys reformed at the edge of the map to fight again, their original position is now lost to the enemy so I'm fighting from a disadvantage anyway. I remember this happening back in the first Shogun many years ago.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Also, big heads up for those who want to play modded Shogun 2.

For some dumb reason now, editing unit tables to add new units to the game at the moment causes in error in which certain sounds are over written by others (eg bows now play the musket firing sounds) and can be off putting for some people.

There was an unofficial fix but it doesn't work ironically now CA have opened the game up for modding. So wait a few weeks until this fix this issue if you want to play any mods with Shogun 2 that adds new units.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
gently caress, no wonder my levy infantry sounded like they were shooting cannons.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

concerned mom posted:

If my peasants don't fight to the last man against feudal knights what am I not paying them for?
In fairness, considering it's Middle Earth where every fight is a ~~heroic~~ battle to the death and the only soldiers who ever routed were scummy orcs and goblins after the Eye disappears it could kinda make sense.

Of course, then you look at the other insane grinding levels of fake-difficulty built into the TATW mod (plus "If you're not playing on Very Hard you're doing it wrong!!1! :downs:") and it becomes clear that that's not really the reason :eng99:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Tarezax posted:

gently caress, no wonder my levy infantry sounded like they were shooting cannons.

It isn't that noticealbe in FOTS are first, but with Shogun 2 and Rise however....

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Does the merchant AI in Medieval II cheat or something? It seems like they can, with out fail, buyout all of my merchants regardless or rank, while my guys all get killed trying to buy-out theirs without fail.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Agean90 posted:

Does the merchant AI in Medieval II cheat or something? It seems like they can, with out fail, buyout all of my merchants regardless or rank, while my guys all get killed trying to buy-out theirs without fail.

I don't know or not, but gently caress the AI Merchants.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Rabhadh posted:

I'm fine with low morale as long my my dudes had a good chance to rally before running off the map. Say my line is broken and most of my guys are running away, but my small reserve is holding off the enemy cavalry so no rout is taking place. It'd be great if most of my guys reformed at the edge of the map to fight again, their original position is now lost to the enemy so I'm fighting from a disadvantage anyway. I remember this happening back in the first Shogun many years ago.

This is partly why I like the Montee De Empire mod for Napoleon so much. Your dudes will turn and run before taking massive casualties, but will usually rally as long as they're not pursued or if you can get your general over to them. The result is keeping a couple reserve units becomes important so you can commit them to any holes that form in your battle line while you rally your men and get them back into the fight.

It also means the battles can swing back and forth a couple times and take place across several point in the maps as armies fall back and rally in turn.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Also, quoting this for the new page as it is sort of important:

SeanBeansShako posted:

Attention goons who love playing these games with other goons!

I've been a little bit busy with the Warband NW Goon group and have neglected GTW badly. So sorry :(.

The following awesome goons have Moderator permissions granting them the ability to organised stuff for multiplayer in the group are:

Olive Branch.
Neddie.
shalcar.
Zoolooman.
Grey Hunter.

I'm still inviting people into the group too.

Flippycunt posted:

This is partly why I like the Montee De Empire mod for Napoleon so much. Your dudes will turn and run before taking massive casualties, but will usually rally as long as they're not pursued or if you can get your general over to them. The result is keeping a couple reserve units becomes important so you can commit them to any holes that form in your battle line while you rally your men and get them back into the fight.

It also means the battles can swing back and forth a couple times and take place across several point in the maps as armies fall back and rally in turn.

You see, this sounds sensible.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Koramei posted:

Considering the emphasis the modders put on REALISM :argh: to the point of giving the factions names that are so correct that historians don't even use them, that seems completely ridiculous. I think vanilla gives the soldiers morale that is much higher than it would have been in reality for your average farmer-conscript put to war against his wishes.

To be fair, your basic conscripted peasant(As oppsed to Militia, who get some training from their training grounds) gets a Morale of 1, save the Highland Rabble and Aztec Peasants, who get 3(On par with Militia-grade: it's forgiveable because those factions have an infantry focus).

The numbers I note are baseline-Command stars and Chivalry will raise this even further, of course.

...Now it sounds like I'm justifying.

I wish we knew how much Morale damage things did in M2. We know how much they have, but it means nothing without knowing the damage.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Any Shogun 2 players here have experience with matchlock units? I've never used them that much as they didn't seem that good (small unit size and range is lower than archers). However, I'm playing a Oda campaign right now and I feel obliged to use them. I've tried putting them in the front of my army but at most they can only get 2 volleys off or get killed by archers before the melee skirmish even happens. They also refuse to fire if they're behind my line so I have no idea where to place them.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Put them on the flanks and use them to shoot into the enemies backs as they fight your dudes in melee. It causes a huge morale penalty.

They also loving rule at castle defense.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

I have to say,Nothing feels better than repelling an enemy doomstack. (even though I had a stack and a star fort.)
But what feels best of all is Woman defending their (new) home alongside men. :911:

Too bad there is no crying Prussia emote.

Man Whore fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Oct 13, 2012

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there
http://uk.gamespot.com/total-war-rome-ii/videos/carthage-battle-gameplay-walkthrough-total-war-rome-ii-6398557/

Some pretty good pre-alpha gameplay of RTW2, surviving the next year's gonna be really hard.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

oscarthewilde posted:

http://uk.gamespot.com/total-war-rome-ii/videos/carthage-battle-gameplay-walkthrough-total-war-rome-ii-6398557/

Some pretty good pre-alpha gameplay of RTW2, surviving the next year's gonna be really hard.

After years and years it looks like they're finally going to hit an authentic feeling number of soldiers on a battlefield. This is great.

Very much inference, but it also sounds like they're moving towards dropping more of the sandbox nature of the strategic game in favour of having more of a sense of 'progression' in order to avoid the endgame blob problem. I'm perfectly happy with that and I'm really looking forward to seeing what they've done with the Strategic level.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

oscarthewilde posted:

That looks goddamn awesome, I really like the size of Carthage. I just hope that the strategic AI is smarter this time around, since that has always been the biggest deal breaker for me when it comes to Total war games.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
God damnit that looks incredible.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

oscarthewilde posted:

Jesus gently caress that looks amazing.

I am kind of saddened by the fact that you can't give orders in the tactical overview map though.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Looks great but their AI will never be able to handle all the new poo poo they add.

They can't defend a tiny square fort intelligently, how can it manage a mega huge city with people coming in by sea and land?

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

Captain Beans posted:

Looks great but their AI will never be able to handle all the new poo poo they add.

They can't defend a tiny square fort intelligently, how can it manage a mega huge city with people coming in by sea and land?

CA claim that they've hired a lot more AI programmers so it isn't out of the question that they've managed to really up the capabilities of the AI, but that might just be PR-speak and maybe the AI is as bad as ever. We won't know until it releases.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I wish they would ditch the walk everywhere campaign maps and just make it the original risk style or something close, because in empire trying to track down those 40 rebel soldiers who keep being shitlords and burning your farm in the panamanian jungle is some annoying poo poo.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Sylink posted:

I wish they would ditch the walk everywhere campaign maps and just make it the original risk style or something close, because in empire trying to track down those 40 rebel soldiers who keep being shitlords and burning your farm in the panamanian jungle is some annoying poo poo.

Tiny armies with 40 men shouldn't be able to do that. The games before ETW had instant desertion, gradual desertion and bribing, but all of that was taken out iirc.

Plotac 75
Aug 8, 2007
Mysteries of the ancient lizardman sealed by ancient, mysterious lizard magicks lost in the mysterious realm of ancient lizardmen from ages far, far ago.
I have had the most awful problem with the steam version of Shogun 2 (with everything but FOTS and one or two of the more recent DLC). It has this tendency to freeze when my turn is about to start, or if I click anything at the wrong time in either TBS or RTS phase. It's to the point that I can maybe play a full turn at a time if I'm lucky.

My system is so:

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit

AMD Phenom II x6 1055T
4.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @669MHz
EVGA GeForce GT 620

Plus three WD hard drives. Plenty of ventilation, heat isn't an issue. I've updated all of my drivers to the most recent versions, too. I'm just not sure what could be the issue.

E: I also have a sound card sitting in there I ought to mention, a Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy LS.

Plotac 75 fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Oct 19, 2012

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

PirateBob posted:

Tiny armies with 40 men shouldn't be able to do that. The games before ETW had instant desertion, gradual desertion and bribing, but all of that was taken out iirc.

I forgot about that, that was nice.

I find myself playing rome total realism more. Empire's Imperial Splendour is cool, but the map is still too loving huge. Although it was funny to play as persia and load up a ship full of dudes and take over the british colonies in the Americas.

Napoleon is a much better engine but there is something not as interesting about a bunch of musketeers duking it out.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Let's see what the fine people at TWCenter have to say about the video.

quote:

Since it's pre alpha, I'll look over Shogun 2 soundbases.
Now, to what I won't look over

-The soundtrack sounded too epic, tune it down. Feels like watching Empire Total War battle, very boring because the music is out of place.

-Since it's pre-alpha, I can't say on this much, but I want all the buildings & walls to be destructible, no more invulnerable towers or gates.
-I like what I'm seeing at 9:32 - 9:38, been wanting this for a long time, but if it's only going to occur during tutorial mission, then it's best to remove it

-Tactical view? AXE IT!!!!! Eventually, new players who never know Total War will start asking for commanding armies in that view, I'd hate to see later Total War games allow you to control armies with "Tactical view". Make it an expanded version of the mini-map, having no idea what you're doing is part of the fun. After all, you want to humanize & add more visceral & hectic isn't it? Besides, it's 1 of the fundamentals why RTS is fun.

-Since you're planning with soldiers talking, why not adding remarks as an easter egg? Maybe, a cav. or a general or a leader will say something like "I used to be a footman like you, but then I took an arrow in the knee" when the footmen are nearby. Or better yet, run some kind of competition on the forums where people give ideas of snide or witty remarks to be used as an easter egg by the soldiers?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

oscarthewilde posted:

I like the graffiti on the wall near the very end of that video, some nice little detail.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Let's see what the fine people at TWCenter have to say about the video.

Tempted to sign up to TWCenter just so I can quote this and say "don't listen to this armchair sperg"

a bad enough dude
Jun 30, 2007

APPARENTLY NOT A BAD ENOUGH DUDE TO STICK TO ONE THING AT A TIME WHETHER ITS PBPS OR A SHITTY BROWSER GAME THAT I BEG MONEY FOR AND RIPPED FROM TROPICO. ALSO I LET RETARDED UKRANIANS THAT CAN'T PROGRAM AND HAVE 2000 HOURS IN GARRY'S MOD RUN MY SHIT.
Jesus that's incredible. No way will it have the same specs as Shogun.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
I am fine with not being able to play in the tactical view. A lot of the fun in Total War games is that it can get hectic and that lack of full omnipotent view of the map allows for mistakes that can lead to defeat or victory if you opponent is the one to make the mistake. I like the way they are implanting the tactical view though. You can use the tactical view but that will leave you vulnerable for a few seconds where you can't move any soldiers.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I don't know, if you're going to have that tactical view you really should be able to use it. I mean the camera is omnipotent anyway, it's just clunkier I guess playing that way.

If you really want to have hectic, should have run it like the old Slitherine ancient games where you set your army up and have limited/no ability to change your plan in the middle of the battle.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
There's a middle ground and not being able to play in the tactical mode is it. No need to have to side with one extreme or another.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

oscarthewilde posted:

Gracchus! :3:

But holy poo poo, this looks like a really ambitious game; I hope they pull it off!

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Didn't Rome have a button to throw a giant minimap in your face already? What are they complaining about?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Asehujiko posted:

Didn't Rome have a button to throw a giant minimap in your face already? What are they complaining about?

The people at TWCenter complain about everything. EVERYTHING

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Oct 19, 2012

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Basically never listen to TWCentre on ways to better the game. That guy who was quoted above not only wanted to completely remove the tactical view but wanted to replace it with soldiers who say memes. I mean, what the gently caress.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

What's tragic is that CA has a presence at TWCenter and it's someones job to post stuff there. That poor bastard.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Zettace posted:

Basically never listen to TWCentre on ways to better the game. That guy who was quoted above not only wanted to completely remove the tactical view but wanted to replace it with soldiers who say memes. I mean, what the gently caress.

And make the music less epic since it isn't appropriate, since I dunno epic music have no place in a game with massive loving battles and everyone would be happier if it was replaced with some weirdass reproduction of Roman music.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What's tragic is that CA has a presence at TWCenter and it's someones job to post stuff there. That poor bastard.
That dude used to be a TWC staff member and part of the insane political system that goes on there, so he probably enjoys it.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

oscarthewilde posted:

Holy loving poo poo.

Goddamn.

I think my computer is actually weeping tears. Sorry old buddy, it's been a good run...but I just think that you aren't up to this. Everything comes to an end.

That looks seriously amazing though. Carthage is actually the size of a city. And if they make sieges actually fun (and that looks incredibly fun)...well, let's just say that I am truly eagerly looking forward to this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about believing in magical rainbow gold

Holy cow, this looks fantastic. Only concern is that on this scale battles will take far longer to complete.