Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

User 140492 posted:

What's everyone's favourite carbonara recipe? I had an amazing one bookmarked but I can't find it, and half the poo poo on google includes cream or onion or peas or something.

Alternatively what can I use about 4oz of grated parmesan for?

This one:

http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Spaghetti_alla_carbonara

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

User 117351 posted:

I might do up my usual butter-based pie crust but use garlic and herb butter, I bet that would be tasty with a meat filling.

That sounds tasty. Or subbing in butter-flavored Crisco as a change of pace. If you use butter, cut down how much water you use by a little bit, butter has a lot of water inside compared to lard.

The pro way to do this is to use your handy food processor. You use it to cut the fat into the flour without raising its temperature too much and then dribble dribble the water in until you get a dough. It's so sweet to see that all come together.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea

Haha, I'm pretty sure that's the exact recipe I used! Thanks a bunch. I love me some simple pasta dishes.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

An observer posted:

What's everyone's favourite carbonara recipe? I had an amazing one bookmarked but I can't find it, and half the poo poo on google includes cream or onion or peas or something.
Brown pancetta (chopped into lardons) in a big fry pan while you're boiling the pasta. Thrown a little minced garlic in with the pancetta when it's coming off the heat. When the pasta is done, drain it and it goes in the same pan. Move it around a little, then wait for the temperature to hit around 140 F (probably somewhere around a minute). Then stir in raw egg and grated pecorino, moving it around and letting the heat of the pasta cook it---it should end up creamy. Too hot and it'll clump up, and too cold and it'll be slimy. Top with a couple turns of black pepper and some minced parsley if you want to tart it up.

For proportions, I figure around a thick slice of pancetta (maybe an ounce and a half? I just eyeball it), a clove of garlic, one egg, and about 2 Tbsp of pecorino (or p. reggiano) per serving of pasta.

Edit: Oh hay new page.

SubG fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Oct 18, 2012

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

He speaks the truth, before whirled peas month that simple recipe was evoked and tried and discussed enough that it turned into a full-blown megathread. And, yes, you should go for real pancetta. It's pricey, but you only need a quarter pound of it.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

CuddleChunks posted:

That sounds tasty. Or subbing in butter-flavored Crisco as a change of pace. If you use butter, cut down how much water you use by a little bit, butter has a lot of water inside compared to lard.

The pro way to do this is to use your handy food processor. You use it to cut the fat into the flour without raising its temperature too much and then dribble dribble the water in until you get a dough. It's so sweet to see that all come together.

Yeah, I usually use butter on the rare occasions I make my own crust, so my ratios are based on that. With the herb butter I may actually have to back off the water even more, because the herbs are blended in fresh and tend to make the butter wetter.

I almost never make any pie crust that isn't pate sucree, because I'm lazy and when I need a basic crust I just buy the frozen kind. I have a couple in the freezer now actually, along with some empanada wrappers that I use to make meat pies all the time, but I thought tonight I might actually put forth a little crust effort.

By the way if you have an herb garden and a food processor, herb butter is probably by far the best way to handle overabundance. I could never use up all the herbs my garden grows, especially in the fall before the frost kills everything. Toss a pound of butter in the Cuisinart with a couple heaping handfuls of herbs and run it smooth, then freeze in small tubs. I go through the stuff like crazy in winter when my garden is dormant and I don't want to spend a bunch of money on fresh herbs at the grocery store.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
My girlfriend just came home from a silent film conference in Italy and brought a lovely looking bag of semolina pasta (as well as some limoncello and mirto).

I would like to make a nice pasta dish with the semolina and would appreciate if anyone has a sauce recommendation/recipe. Otherwise I will probably do a typical bolognese.

Also, while I'm at it, any ideas on the best way to drink mirto?

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Well, meat pies are in the oven. Not sure how the crust is yet, but it sure smelled fantastic. My herb butter was VERY herby, so the crust came out kind of green :)

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
Nthing that carbonara recipe, it's amazing how such an easy dish can be so drat good. I'd recommend subbing Pecorino Romano for the parm though.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Pester posted:

He speaks the truth, before whirled peas month that simple recipe was evoked and tried and discussed enough that it turned into a full-blown megathread. And, yes, you should go for real pancetta. It's pricey, but you only need a quarter pound of it.

It's probably my go to dish when I don't know what else to make. It's really easy to have the ingredients just laying around and it comes together pretty quick.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Is sage the spice that makes breakfast sausage taste like... well, breakfast sausage instead of a bunch of pork? I was looking at homemade sausage recipes and they always had massive amounts of sage.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tarepanda posted:

Is sage the spice that makes breakfast sausage taste like... well, breakfast sausage instead of a bunch of pork? I was looking at homemade sausage recipes and they always had massive amounts of sage.

That and/or fennel.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

An observer posted:

Alternatively what can I use about 4oz of grated parmesan for?

for me carbonara is a minimalist dish: pancetta, parm, egg, noodles, pepper. render the pancetta and remove from heat. toss the cooked noodles in the pan with the fat and pancetta until pasta is well covered. beat the egg with the grated cheese in a bowl. add the noodle and pancetta mixture to the bowl (don't add the egg mixture to the hot pan. it's probably still too hot) and stir vigorously. apply black pepper liberally. if the sauce in the bowl is looking to be seizing up/too dry add a squirt of a tasty extra virgin olive oil.

peas are a common addition but I actually prefer pea shoots, which are baby pea plants and not quite the same thing as pea tendrils, which are the new growth harvested from the tops of grown up pea plants. add shoots or tendrils when you begin tossing the noodles in the bowl, or add actual peas to the hot fat when the pancetta has finished rendering and saute for a few seconds before adding the noodles.

edit: oh hey look at all these words I typed before I noticed there was another page, on which somebody linked basically the same thing but better

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Oct 19, 2012

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Salvor_Hardin posted:

My girlfriend just came home from a silent film conference in Italy and brought a lovely looking bag of semolina pasta (as well as some limoncello and mirto).

I would like to make a nice pasta dish with the semolina and would appreciate if anyone has a sauce recommendation/recipe. Otherwise I will probably do a typical bolognese.

Also, while I'm at it, any ideas on the best way to drink mirto?

What shape is the pasta in? This is imporant for what it is used for. Take note that souvenir-type pastas are mainly for looks. Most pasta is made from semolina flour ("semolina di grano duro", or "hard grain [wheat] semolina").

Sweet liqueurs in general always work well after a meal or along with cakes. Have a taste and check it out.

Good, firm bacon works fine for a weekday carbonara

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
Tell me if I'm crazy. I want to make some thin chewy chocolate chip cookies. Mine typically come out of medium thickness. I was thinking of not creaming the butter/sugar but rather melting the butter and then going through with the cookie making. Thoughts?

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
Have you tried laying the dough out flatter before you bake it?

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

5436 posted:

Tell me if I'm crazy. I want to make some thin chewy chocolate chip cookies. Mine typically come out of medium thickness. I was thinking of not creaming the butter/sugar but rather melting the butter and then going through with the cookie making. Thoughts?

My favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe uses melted butter and bread flour, and it is ridiculously amazing. They're chewy and soft, with a lovely crispy bottom. This site has it, if'n you're interested. Actually, I think I'm gonna have to bake a batch now...they're SO drat YUMMY.

I have my own question: I have a lot of venison backstrap and I am sick and goddamn tired of making chili or chicken frying it. I've been courting the idea of making venison roast with a super flavorful mushroom and red wine reduction sauce, but I dunno if it would be good or terrible. It seems like the gamey flavor of the meat would marry well with a sturdy mushroom flavor, but I'm kinda new to any cooking that isn't baking or, well, deep fried southern comfort food, so I'm not sure I trust myself to be right on this. Plus I shot and butchered that deer myself, and I wanna make sure I treat that backstrap with the reverence it deserves.

Any other ideas for venison meat are welcome. I have a freezer full. Not that I'm complaining.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

fizzymercy posted:

I have my own question: I have a lot of venison backstrap and I am sick and goddamn tired of making chili or chicken frying it. I've been courting the idea of making venison roast with a super flavorful mushroom and red wine reduction sauce, but I dunno if it would be good or terrible. It seems like the gamey flavor of the meat would marry well with a sturdy mushroom flavor, but I'm kinda new to any cooking that isn't baking or, well, deep fried southern comfort food, so I'm not sure I trust myself to be right on this. Plus I shot and butchered that deer myself, and I wanna make sure I treat that backstrap with the reverence it deserves.

Any other ideas for venison meat are welcome. I have a freezer full. Not that I'm complaining.

Lucky. My *G*I*R*L*F*R*I*E*N*D*'s son gets to go hunting tomorrow for some sort of early youth hunting day.

Do you have a big, spiky, meat hammer thingy? I'd sort of marinate the backstrap for a little while in wine, cloves, peppercorns, and garlic, then flatten it out real good, like you would with a veal cutlet or something. If you don't have a tenderizer you could probably use a regular hammer or the back of a thick cleaver or something to pound it flat.

Get some good, wild mushrooms, like a "Hen of the Woods" somewhere.

I'd chop some bacon and cook it just enough to release some fat then fry the mushrooms, ripped into small pieces, with more garlic, maybe a little onion.

Plop it on the flattened loin and roll it up real tight. If you have some butcher's twine you can tie it up; that's not totally necessary.

I then put mine in sort of an envelope of aluminum foil that I can dump braising liquid into. I leave some of the veggies and mushrooms I cooked before in the pan, then deglaze the pan with white wine and chicken stock, and dump that liquid in with the roast and seal up the foil.
A splash of hot sauce, barbecue sauce, some brown sugar, maybe a little diced apple, raisins or currants would all be nice additions to the braising.
Cook it at 325 or so for a couple hours. I use a thermometer so I have no idea what the time-per-pound is.
You can do all that in a slow cooker instead.
Finally, I quickly broil the top of it when it's somewhere around (I can't remember the good venison temperature, 150?) 10 or 15 degrees shy of done, then let it rest while I make some potatoes and green stuff. Make mushroom gravy by cooking down your braising liquid, if it's not too salty and tastes good to you.

Very Strange Things fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Oct 19, 2012

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
Every time I try to make some sort of wilted spinach recipe, the spinach inevitably comes out slimy and bitter tasting. Am I allowing the spinach to break down too much? Or not enough? Maybe I'm just using crappy spinach (I usually buy the bagged stuff)?

...or maybe that's how it's supposed to be and I just don't like spinach? :confused:

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
Oh yea, does anyone have a butter cake recipe they have made that comes out super moist with good flavor? The last time I made alton browns butter cake recipe it was crumbly and not very moist (I used a scale and followed all the directions). I really need a nice moist butter cake for the Redskins game. gently caress you Giants.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
I have

...left over from the recipe that Scott Bakula posted earlier (here). What to do with it!? I saved it cuz why the hell not, but I'm kind of at a loss with what to do with reserved wine cooking liquid. I could make a gravy and just keep it around, but what after that?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Cyril Sneer posted:

Every time I try to make some sort of wilted spinach recipe, the spinach inevitably comes out slimy and bitter tasting. Am I allowing the spinach to break down too much? Or not enough? Maybe I'm just using crappy spinach (I usually buy the bagged stuff)?

...or maybe that's how it's supposed to be and I just don't like spinach? :confused:

How are you wilting it? You're probably just way overcooking it.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Very Strange Things posted:

*delicious venison advice*

Ok, that sounds like a winner, and I have always wanted a reason to use my spikey meat hammer outside of chicken fried steak. I have an overabundance of morels and miatake mushrooms that'll probably be orgasmic with this. Thank you so much!

And good luck to YOUR GIRLFRIEND's kiddo! Deer hunting is kinda :smith: for me cause CUTE BABIES, but I can't seem to turn down the chance at a freezer full of delicious carcass every year.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

How are you wilting it? You're probably just way overcooking it.

I usually just drop a bunch of it into frying pan or large sauce pan, turn the heat to, I dunno, low-medium, and kind of push it around with a wooden spoon.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Cyril Sneer posted:

I usually just drop a bunch of it into frying pan or large sauce pan, turn the heat to, I dunno, low-medium, and kind of push it around with a wooden spoon.

I usually go for hot and fast with spinach, and it never comes out slimy. Also, splash a tiny bit of apple cider vinegar in it at the very end and it is awesome.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
I make grilled chicken breasts on my cuisinart (:qq: apartments) and I usually marinade them in something beforehand. Most commonly combinations of olive oil and different spices and herbs, sometimes soy sauce and stuff, whatevs. Anyway it's getting boring. Anyone have suggestions for tasty marinades for grilled chicken tatas? Preferably nothing too heavy.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

RazorBunny posted:

I usually go for hot and fast with spinach, and it never comes out slimy. Also, splash a tiny bit of apple cider vinegar in it at the very end and it is awesome.

I know its hard to be precise with these things, but what is "hot and fast"? Like, are we talking 10s of seconds or minutes?

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Sjurygg posted:

What shape is the pasta in? This is imporant for what it is used for. Take note that souvenir-type pastas are mainly for looks. Most pasta is made from semolina flour ("semolina di grano duro", or "hard grain [wheat] semolina").

Sweet liqueurs in general always work well after a meal or along with cakes. Have a taste and check it out.

Good, firm bacon works fine for a weekday carbonara

The shape is rotini-esque.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Cyril Sneer posted:

I know its hard to be precise with these things, but what is "hot and fast"? Like, are we talking 10s of seconds or minutes?

I usually shave a little bit of fat off a block of bacon I keep in the freezer and render it in a pan on high heat until it just starts to brown, then toss the spinach in and keep it moving around for about 3-4 minutes. Grind in a little pepper, turn off the heat, and then splash a little vinegar in.

Since you brought it up I had to go out and buy spinach so I could make some. I'm eating it right now :)

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

CuddleChunks posted:

Fuckoff pile of flour
Tub of lard
Sprinkle of salt
Ice cold water
Crazycold girl hands

Sprinkle the salt over the flour and then start rubbing the lard into the flour. It'll make weird little bb's as it begins to combine. Sprinkle with ice water and mush and mash until it comes together as a workable dough. Cover and rest in the fridge for a bit, break off into little pieces and roll out. Make a million pasties and die happy. Oh, give them an egg wash before baking.

The ratios should be: 3 parts flour : 2 parts fat : 1 part liquid

Use alcohol instead of water for a lighter flakier crust. I like the flavor that dark rum adds for basically everything crustwise, but vodka or other neutral spirits work just as well. Water promotes gluten formation, but alcohol does not, so you can get a much better flour:water ratio while keeping your overall solid:fat:liquid correct.

Which reminds me, I better get crackin' (:krakken:) on this year's Festive Seasonal Pie Adventures.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

scuz posted:

I have

...left over from the recipe that Scott Bakula posted earlier (here). What to do with it!? I saved it cuz why the hell not, but I'm kind of at a loss with what to do with reserved wine cooking liquid. I could make a gravy and just keep it around, but what after that?

Other than save for gravy or just dipping things into I can't really help. Did you like the stew though?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Scott Bakula posted:

Other than save for gravy or just dipping things into I can't really help. Did you like the stew though?
The stew was awesome and made the whole office smell like a 4-star restaurant. I sort of eye-balled the amount of meat that I purchased so I think I under-cut it by a bit. I found some big ol' beef shanks (which I THINK are the same as shins) and got to about ~4.75 pounds. Really, really good though; definitely making again.

Mr Kapu
Jul 6, 2009
I'm sure there's some literature around here somewhere about making your own chili powder, but I can't find any. Does anyone have any advice about drying/grinding/storing chilies? I have a bunch of red chilies, cayennes, habeneros, god knows what else. I'd like to make a chili powder and maybe a taco seasoning sort of power. I do have a dehydrator and planned on using that but I don't know what to store the powders in when I'm done. I know you're supposed to store herbs in opaque containers to keep them fresh. Is it the same with chili powders?

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

So my brother and I want to get a juicing machine, mainly for fruits and vegetables. What's the best combination of good/affordable? We don't want to be over-spending on produce, either.

EDIT: This seems to be the best-reviewed on Amazon and it's only $100:

http://www.amazon.com/Breville-BJE200XL-Fountain-700-Watt-Extractor/dp/B000MDHH06/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Brodeurs Nanny fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Oct 20, 2012

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
I'm making a big breakfast tomorrow morning and I'd like to do something a bit different with the eggs. Typically I make a good sized batch of scrambled eggs and add some cheese and a bit of sour cream. Lately I've been adding fresh dill, too.

Any suggestions for interesting eggs? (Smashmouth :frogout:)

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

A big ol' quiche

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

i am not so sure posted:

So my brother and I want to get a juicing machine, mainly for fruits and vegetables. What's the best combination of good/affordable? We don't want to be over-spending on produce, either.

EDIT: This seems to be the best-reviewed on Amazon and it's only $100:

http://www.amazon.com/Breville-BJE200XL-Fountain-700-Watt-Extractor/dp/B000MDHH06/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

How much juice do you plan on making? I juice all the time and i get by pretty well with a juiceman Jr. I got second hand for $10. I think that quality is fine for any home juicing. Now, if you plan on opening a restaurant or something, you'd better get a Hobart model for a thousand dollars.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Mr. Wiggles posted:

How much juice do you plan on making? I juice all the time and i get by pretty well with a juiceman Jr. I got second hand for $10. I think that quality is fine for any home juicing. Now, if you plan on opening a restaurant or something, you'd better get a Hobart model for a thousand dollars.

We just plan on having it for our apartment so we can have juice a couple times a day. We don't want a piece of poo poo, though. So that $99 model is fine?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Are you juicing things other than citrus?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

Are you juicing things other than citrus?

Possibly. Generally we're gonna be using fruits and vegetables but we might put protein and greens in there or something. Clearly I know a lot about juicing.