Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011

Beat me to it. Slammed down 20 right away when I heard about it. And I told myself that Project Eternity was my last kickstarter. I guess I lied.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Cosmic Afro posted:

Beat me to it. Slammed down 20 right away when I heard about it. And I told myself that Project Eternity was my last kickstarter. I guess I lied.

It's like you took the words right out of my mouth. I was coming to post this and found I'd just missed the mark. Put down 50 after the Obsidian one as I just got sent basically that amount by my brother to pay an earlier debt. All out of money for backing after that.

Edit: The average backing amount right now is almost 90 bucks per person.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Oct 19, 2012

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
Quest For Glory was the best of the adventure series of that era. I really, really hope they make their funding goal - they did a lot of cool things writing-wise that I'd love to see again. Even their initial generic fantasy world was far, far from generic fantasy.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

'In one case, the publisher decided instead to design their own game. Millions of dollars later, they created a dismal failure that sold under 1,000 copies'

Wonder what game that was.

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax
Not familiar with any of their previous games, but I guess I'll tentatively pledge 20 bucks just for that cute sheep.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Looks like that obscenely old school Project Gorgon game won't be funded. Too bad.

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011

Shalinor posted:

Quest For Glory was the best of the adventure series of that era. I really, really hope they make their funding goal - they did a lot of cool things writing-wise that I'd love to see again. Even their initial generic fantasy world was far, far from generic fantasy.

Like many developers at the time, Quest for Glory's world was apparently their D&D campaign world. I don't think they'll have much issues to reach their goal: they seem to be doing well so far.

At least I really hope they wont have trouble. I want to see this game happen, now.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Cosmic Afro posted:

Like many developers at the time, Quest for Glory's world was apparently their D&D campaign world. I don't think they'll have much issues to reach their goal: they seem to be doing well so far.

At least I really hope they wont have trouble. I want to see this game happen, now.

I'm one of those people who never played the original games before I grew older. Still haven't because the endless mazes in 2 gave me a headache and I never got the upgraded version. But I still want to see what they can cook up these days, and so I'm spreading this around to most everyone I know.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Got to say, that promo shot already looks better than QFG5.

54.4 crowns
Apr 7, 2011

To think before you speak is like wiping your arse before you shit.

And here's an interview for all you hopefuls.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=8549

Krenzo
Nov 10, 2004
They should make a stretch goal to get John Rhys-Davies as the narrator.

lizzyinthesky
Mar 24, 2010

Take drugs! Kill a bear!
Is the Citadel of Sorcery guy really named Philip Blood? That's so god drat metal.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

How the hell do you kickstarter a game, get 28,000 dollars, and then decide to pay 3 dudes each a 33,000 dollar a year salary? How does that make any sense?

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Oh wow, this is the series that taught me to type and love RPGs.

The only thing stopping me from throwing in an instant $50 is they don't say what platform the digital key for the older games will be (I of course have my Anthology CDs on a shelf I could access in a minute, but a digital copy would be nice - I even have the soundtrack CD for QFG5 still)

Edit: For those wondering about my question above (and a little reply to me saying how their games were awesome as a kid):

Corey Cole posted:

We don't know that answer. We plan to apply for the game to be available on Steam, GoG, and Humble at least, but that's stuff we will work out much later in the process.

We always tried to make our puzzles fair, completely solvable with information you got within the game. We worried that might make the games too easy, and have been surprised to hear some people thought our games really hard.

VodeAndreas fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Oct 20, 2012

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

evilmiera posted:

I'm one of those people who never played the original games before I grew older. Still haven't because the endless mazes in 2 gave me a headache and I never got the upgraded version. But I still want to see what they can cook up these days, and so I'm spreading this around to most everyone I know.
If you or anyone else decides to play the originals for the first time, I'd... uh... consider either skipping 2, or walkthrough'ing it.

Where 1 and 3 were really solid on their own (and looked great), between 2's EGA graphics and a number of really, really obscure puzzles like the random maze - it was straight up frustrating, a lot of the time.

I never played the fan remake of 2 or any others that might exist, though, so maybe it fixed those problems. 2 also had some of the coolest scenes of the entire series, so it's very worth playing, if you can stomach the difficulty - especially considering that you can take your hero all the way through the series.

EDIT: Oh man, if the new game somehow let you import old QFG save files... :aaa:

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi
Looks like SHAKER, the Old School RPG is withdrawing from Kickstarter. Shame, it was an intriguing premise (though that might just be the Quantum Leap fan in me), and I was under the impression the creators had some clout behind them.

SHAKER posted:

Ultimately, our pitch just wasn't strong enough to get the traction we felt it needed to thrive. Sure, it may have made it. We could have fought our way to a possibly successful end. In reading your feedback and talking it over internally, however, we decided that it made more sense to kill it and come back with something stronger.

In game design, mercy killing is the law.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
I think that was the right move. Fix it, come back and try again.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Wezlar posted:

How the hell do you kickstarter a game, get 28,000 dollars, and then decide to pay 3 dudes each a 33,000 dollar a year salary? How does that make any sense?

$15.83/hour for a programmer has got to be their "friend" rate or have a real nice royalty plan. Any programmer worth a drat can make a lot more than that. But then again, they were using the Go language so maybe they're just fuckin' crazy. Business tip: Don't let your developers use their toy language of the week for a product you want to be successful.

Obsurveyor fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Oct 20, 2012

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Antitonic posted:

Looks like SHAKER, the Old School RPG is withdrawing from Kickstarter. Shame, it was an intriguing premise (though that might just be the Quantum Leap fan in me), and I was under the impression the creators had some clout behind them.

It was a weak pitch backed by an unproven studio and fronted by people no-one had heard from in a decade. I honestly don't know how they managed $250k.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

coffeetable posted:

It was a weak pitch backed by an unproven studio and fronted by people no-one had heard from in a decade. I honestly don't know how they managed $250k.
Because some of us really like Wizardry, and the pitch did, slowly, improve as time went on. I pledged with the hope that more info would come and with the knowledge that I could withdraw if it didn't. Judging by the comments I read whenever I glanced at them on the kickstarter page, a lot of people felt the same way. There was enthusiasm, but it was always muted by the understanding that the pitch was bad.

This is a good decision, hopefully they flesh out their pitch a bit more and come back with a more focused kickstarter.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I think they'll have to show a decent prototype to get money.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

Rime posted:

So Citadel of Sorcery has decided to put up a Kickstarter. I've been following this one for a number of years, and it will be interesting to see if they ever manage to make it to launch.

The tech they've developed behind the scenes is phenomenal. Which is why the graphics look like complete rear end.

E: Article in VentureBeat with the CEO

Somehow, I really want this to succeed, but don't really want to back it personally. I don't know why, it's weird. :smith:

This got my $20, though.

lizzyinthesky
Mar 24, 2010

Take drugs! Kill a bear!

seorin posted:

Somehow, I really want this to succeed, but don't really want to back it personally. I don't know why, it's weird. :smith:

This got my $20, though.

At least the MMO thing seems like something they're going to do anyway and are already in-deep with millions invested. The kickstarter failing will probably effect them but not stop them.

GateheaD
Sep 27, 2005

Gatorade me bitch
Problems with the Quest for Glory Kickstarter (its the real name, you know it)
1) Its top down now, the art they show that looks similar to QFG Backdrops is for character interaction/ chat?
2) Why is this not the Famous Adventurers Correspondence School?
3) I loving hate Meeps, stop drawing them on everything.
4) I owe these people for about 300 hours of gameplay, what is that in cash money?

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Antitonic posted:

That pitch had started to get somewhere useful. A shame that they launched it before they seemed to know what the project was.

I do hope they have another crack at it.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
The shutdown update said as much, and I hope to see it when they're ready to put it back up. I was liking where it was going, really.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

GateheaD posted:

Problems with the Quest for Glory Kickstarter (its the real name, you know it)
2) Why is this not the Famous Adventurers Correspondence School?

They mentioned in the RPG Codex interview that Activision own the rights to the Quest of Glory name, and they want to make sure their lore is different enough that it won't be seen to infringe. So it's Quest of Glory in spirit only, and when I say spirit I mean "written by the same people."

Caerus
Sep 23, 2003

Hold aces!
I don't like the top-down view. :(

Too bad, I absolutely loved Shadows of Darkness. If you can get past the bugs, that game is an absolute gem.

GateheaD
Sep 27, 2005

Gatorade me bitch
I never played 5, was the Famous Adventurers Correspondence School the old guy you meet, or was that another Hero?

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

GateheaD posted:

I never played 5, was the Famous Adventurers Correspondence School the old guy you meet, or was that another Hero?

Yes, to the first and several times to the second.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
A new PC game kickstarter is up that's based on the Tabletop game Ars Magica. Seems to be a turn based wizard factions generational raising sim that might be similiar to King of Dragon Pass.

quote:

In your typical Ars Magica game, a significant portion of your campaign is spent doing what is usually behind the scenes in other role-playing games: your mages research, ponder philosophical questions and write and read books; your companions are politicking with nobles, running your estates and/or going abroad for various reasons; and your peasants are living, working and getting into all kinds of trouble on the front lines. What's more, all the people in your Covenant have their own personalities (and usually mages get pretty eccentric), which leads to all kinds of craziness.

This portion, referred to as the 'Long-Term Event' or 'Laboratory' gameplay of Ars Magica, is already set up like a turn-based simulation game in the rpg. So, over the course of the years, you'll be directing all these activities, with some...interesting consequences depending on the personalities involved, and what it is you've decided to do.

The role-playing game is the quests, adventures, judgments and narrative arcs that figure into the overall destiny of the Covenant. In the tabletop game, this is usually when the dice come out, foes are battled, and treasures are won. It's not exactly D&D- in Ars Magica, adventures can range from the consequences of an unsavory deal to problems arising an over-potent brew, and don't necessarily involve dungeons and the like...but you probably get the gist.

Edit: There's a free 4th edition pdf of the Ars Magica rulebook in the faq too.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Oct 20, 2012

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Nyaa posted:

A new PC game kickstarter is up that's based on the Tabletop game Ars Magica. Seems to be a turn based wizard factions generational raising sim that might be similiar to King of Dragon Pass.

On one hand this is a really good idea.

On the other hand, Academagia was pretty bad in a way that made you question the designers' basic design skills.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Ars Magica is a really great game so I hope it gets funded. I think a KoDP-type game is a good fit for it since the covenant gameplay is part of what makes it so distinctive.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

quote:

On the other hand, Academagia was pretty bad in a way that made you question the designers' basic design skills.
I agree, the user interface is pretty bad on Academagia, but other than that, Academagia is pretty amazing when you become familiar with the UI design and learning curve. At least they are making a whole new engine for year 2. Hopefully they learned their lesson and the 290k funding is enough to get a better UI on Ars Magica.

Their recent game 1931 Scheherazade seems to have much better interface though it's using a different engine.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Oct 20, 2012

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Caerus posted:

I don't like the top-down view. :(

Too bad, I absolutely loved Shadows of Darkness. If you can get past the bugs, that game is an absolute gem.

At the bottom of the page they have a FAQ section that says the top down screenshot is a placeholder, and the painted backgrounds they show are more what they're aiming for.

And how can anyone hate Meeps?

AND Quest for Glory 2 didn't have a "random" maze, it just had a regular maze. Which they give you a map for, even! It was still a bad idea, and it's good that the remake fixed it.

Wendell fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Oct 20, 2012

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011

Nyaa posted:

Edit: There's a free 4th edition pdf of the Ars Magica rulebook in the faq too.

Oh, god damnit, there goes another 20. I really like Ars Magica. And it's during the Schism War -- which is a great period to make a game in.

What worries me is how they'll take care of the really versatile spellcasting system the tabletop game have into a game form.

Also, the free 4th edtion PDF is kind of worthless, the game's current edition is 5th. Still, gives you a good idea of what the game was like at the time.

Cosmic Afro fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Oct 20, 2012

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Wendell posted:

AND Quest for Glory 2 didn't have a "random" maze, it just had a regular maze. Which they give you a map for, even! It was still a bad idea, and it's good that the remake fixed it.

No, it turned its main city into a lovely endless maze. You had to navigate a terrible maze to buy something!

It's maybe the only point and click I've never finished.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

the black husserl posted:

No, it turned its main city into a lovely endless maze. You had to navigate a terrible maze to buy something!

It's maybe the only point and click I've never finished.

I'm just saying it wasn't random, not that it wasn't bad! The game comes with a packed in map of the city so you give up pretty easily though.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Wendell posted:

I'm just saying it wasn't random, not that it wasn't bad! The game comes with a packed in map of the city so you give up pretty easily though.
... I can't remember the details, but, if I remember correctly - no, it didn't. Not always.

There was something where, depending on the version you bought, the map wasn't included. I don't know if that was the original release, or a re-release, or maybe the 3 game collection or what - but I distinctly remember that being one of those "what the gently caress" sorts of things.

You could still solve the maze on your own, by mapping it, and you eventually get an in-game map or fast travel or something I don't remember, but that initial trip to the coin changer was hell on toast. It was also one of the first things you had to do which gated almost everything else, so... yikes.

In retrospect, I wonder if that was one of the era's goofy attempts at copy protection. Leisure Suit Larry had the "mug shot names" system, maybe QFG2 pulled the same via a physical map.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Oct 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merry Magpie
Jan 8, 2012

A superstitious cowardly lot.

Shalinor posted:

... I can't remember the details, but, if I remember correctly - no, it didn't. Not always.

There was something where, depending on the version you bought, the map wasn't included. I don't know if that was the original release, or a re-release, or maybe the 3 game collection or what - but I distinctly remember that being one of those "what the gently caress" sorts of things.

I will confirm that QfG 2 did not always come with a map. I remember having to reference my hand drawn map every time I had to navigate that awful maze.

I still love the series, but the maze was poorly thought out.