Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

MMD3 posted:

just noticed smoke coming from my engine bay the other day on my 2005 Saabaru, popped the hood and saw coolant splashed on the radiator & coolant reservoir, took it into the shop. $600 later I have a new radiator and thermostat :( my non-engineering minded self is just sitting here thinking why can't they figure out how to make a longer lasting radiator? My car has 85k miles, here's hoping I'll never have to replace it again. At the same time I had them check my brakes and it turns out I needed new front rotors and pads so that was another $400... fun fun.

You .. .. wow. You need to learn to do some maintenance and save a bundle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Brake pads and rotors are really easy to do and very cheap. I don't know about the thermostat and radiator, but I'm guessing it's not any harder (just getting the coolant to be bubble-free is the hardest part, I guess).

Do you have anywhere to work on it yourself?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Brake pads and rotors are really easy to do and very cheap. I don't know about the thermostat and radiator, but I'm guessing it's not any harder (just getting the coolant to be bubble-free is the hardest part, I guess).

Do you have anywhere to work on it yourself?

That last part is usually the catch-all for most. A rad change is fairly messy on Subarus as well.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?
I paid $142 for the labor to replace my radiator and about $100 for an OE replacement (not subaru branded but the same style and build). So like $270 all told with coolant.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Amandyke posted:

I paid $142 for the labor to replace my radiator and about $100 for an OE replacement (not subaru branded but the same style and build). So like $270 all told with coolant.

GD it... probably should've asked here before-hand. but I trust the mechanic and have been going there for a while so I'm sure that was the going rate. They said they recommend replacing the thermostat at the same time as the rad. not sure what the logic is behind that but I went ahead and did that, and then they bill for coolant flush at the same time apparently, seems like that'd be rolled into the cost of the radiator replacement but what do I know.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

MMD3 posted:

GD it... probably should've asked here before-hand. but I trust the mechanic and have been going there for a while so I'm sure that was the going rate. They said they recommend replacing the thermostat at the same time as the rad. not sure what the logic is behind that but I went ahead and did that, and then they bill for coolant flush at the same time apparently, seems like that'd be rolled into the cost of the radiator replacement but what do I know.

Thermostats are cheap and you might as well while you have the coolant drained. They usually charge separately for parts and fluids.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

MMD3 posted:

Charging for a coolant flush when you have to drain the coolant anyway to replace the radiator doesn't make sense to me... Especially when it takes all of 5 minutes to drain...

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Rocketmoose posted:

Hello subie goons, I grabbed a brand new wrx a month and a half ago and I am now in the market for accessport. If I bought the perrin, does it still come with the cobb maps/ability to download them or are they wiped?

Yes, you can install Cobb's software and then put whatever maps you want on the AP. They have lots of them on the website. You can also save the existing maps that are on it. If you are not set on using a perrin map I could probably save you a few bucks on an accessport.

The Jabberwocky
May 31, 2006

At least it worked.

Amandyke posted:

Charging for a coolant flush when you have to drain the coolant anyway to replace the radiator doesn't make sense to me... Especially when it takes all of 5 minutes to drain...

Getting to call it something "automotive" makes it intimidating, I think. I've held off doing a lot of stuff on my car, thinking it would be crazy hard just because it had some dumb term attached to it. For a layperson, it's just too easy to get bogged down with terminology sometimes, in my experience. I could have done my own radiator a few years ago, but it was before I "got into" cars and cared, so I just assumed they wouldn't screw me over too bad and tossed money at a shop. It makes it really easy for shops to add in those "extra" things.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

The Jabberwocky posted:

Getting to call it something "automotive" makes it intimidating, I think. I've held off doing a lot of stuff on my car, thinking it would be crazy hard just because it had some dumb term attached to it. For a layperson, it's just too easy to get bogged down with terminology sometimes, in my experience. I could have done my own radiator a few years ago, but it was before I "got into" cars and cared, so I just assumed they wouldn't screw me over too bad and tossed money at a shop. It makes it really easy for shops to add in those "extra" things.

Not to mention stuff like rusted bolts can stop you in your tracks if you are not prepared for them.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

daslog posted:

Not to mention stuff like rusted bolts can stop you in your tracks if you are not prepared for them.

That was the big thing when I was starting out. It can still frustrate the poo poo out of me and waste a day, that and seized wiring connectors.

raffie
Feb 28, 2004
hopeless incompetent
I've got ringland failures on cylinders 1 and 4 in my legacy gt motor, the 4 piston is also cracked. To make a long story short i'm getting 100mm wiseco pistons and ACL bearings put in (rods are forged and ok) and taking the chance to get all oil seals, gaskets, hoses and the timing belt replaced since the motor is out. I am also getting the meth injection removed as that was a possible factor in the failure. The car has a TD05-20G which is still in good condition.

So it's a chance to start afresh and i'm getting the tuner to load up the stock map and work from there to give me a new, conservative tune once everything is run-in.

I'd like to get a general opinion on what boost levels would be considered safe to aim for assuming fuelling mods are also done? The car is mostly highway driven on 200 mile trips where i will occasionally pull hard from 70-130 mph to drop tailgaters and settle into a 100-115mph cruising speed when traffic is clear.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

raffie posted:

I've got ringland failures on cylinders 1 and 4 in my legacy gt motor, the 4 piston is also cracked. To make a long story short i'm getting 100mm wiseco pistons and ACL bearings put in (rods are forged and ok) and taking the chance to get all oil seals, gaskets, hoses and the timing belt replaced since the motor is out. I am also getting the meth injection removed as that was a possible factor in the failure. The car has a TD05-20G which is still in good condition.

So it's a chance to start afresh and i'm getting the tuner to load up the stock map and work from there to give me a new, conservative tune once everything is run-in.

I'd like to get a general opinion on what boost levels would be considered safe to aim for assuming fuelling mods are also done? The car is mostly highway driven on 200 mile trips where i will occasionally pull hard from 70-130 mph to drop tailgaters and settle into a 100-115mph cruising speed when traffic is clear.

Please consider CP pistons instead, the 100mm wiseco STI pistons are 8.9:1 thus raising the compression from stock levels. Unless of course you want the higher compression. The reason why your pistons failed was likely not the meth kit, but rather the hypercasting that subaru has been using since 2006. Unless of course you have a pre-2006 legacy, in which case your car would have had to of been knocking or making some rather high cylinder pressures to crack the piston.

The Jabberwocky
May 31, 2006

At least it worked.

That was the big thing when I was starting out. It can still frustrate the poo poo out of me and waste a day, that and seized wiring connectors.

Yeah, I tend to go a bit overboard now and just order replacements before starting a project. I have a big box full in my garage now in preparation for suspension work. Being stranded because of one stupid bolt is basically the worst thing. I haven't had the guts to do much wiring. There are gremlins in there somewhere, but I have zero electrical knowledge/experience, so they get to live a while longer :(

Roman Rambo
Dec 21, 2009

raffie posted:

I'd like to get a general opinion on what boost levels would be considered safe to aim for assuming fuelling mods are also done?

What else do you have in there besides the upgraded turbo?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Amandyke posted:

Please consider CP pistons instead, the 100mm wiseco STI pistons are 8.9:1 thus raising the compression from stock levels. Unless of course you want the higher compression. The reason why your pistons failed was likely not the meth kit, but rather the hypercasting that subaru has been using since 2006. Unless of course you have a pre-2006 legacy, in which case your car would have had to of been knocking or making some rather high cylinder pressures to crack the piston.

I have an 2005 lgt that had two pistons fail without knocking or anything. 2005 EJ257 pistons suck, just less than 2006 ones.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

The 2005's all blow the gently caress up.

The later ones probably had the poo poo stock pistons and like to blow up too.

loving legacy GT's....

Too bad I want another one...

raffie
Feb 28, 2004
hopeless incompetent

Amandyke posted:

Yeah the only problem is availability out here and the wisecos are the only ones readily available. It's either wisecos or mahles which have to be ordered and cost at least 50% more. The engine was running with forged pistons previously as well, but there were major knock issues encountered.

With the compression up like this, what would be a safe boost level to aim for? 16-17 psi?

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

raffie posted:

Yeah the only problem is availability out here and the wisecos are the only ones readily available. It's either wisecos or mahles which have to be ordered and cost at least 50% more. The engine was running with forged pistons previously as well, but there were major knock issues encountered.

With the compression up like this, what would be a safe boost level to aim for? 16-17 psi?

I run 20 psi on my wiseco's.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Slow is Fast posted:

loving legacy GT's....

Find one with forged pistons or factor it into the cost.
The piston issue is why I'm never buying another turbo subaru (but keeping mine with forged pistons)

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
I am trying to put my new motor (v8 ej207) into my 02 wrx, but I can't seem to get the engine to mate with the transmission.
I have left the turbo on as the instructions in the fsm didn't as to remove it.
Am I supposed to take the turbo off to get the engine on? I was hoping to avoid that as it looks fairly complicated.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

blindjoe posted:

I am trying to put my new motor (v8 ej207) into my 02 wrx, but I can't seem to get the engine to mate with the transmission.
I have left the turbo on as the instructions in the fsm didn't as to remove it.
Am I supposed to take the turbo off to get the engine on? I was hoping to avoid that as it looks fairly complicated.

Is your clutch alined right on the engine? How did you put it on, if it hasn't been aligned well, it won't slip over the splines.
Put the transmission in 5th gear with the parking brake on. As you're pushing the engine into the transmission, turn the crank back and forth a bit with a braker bar, it'll get the splines lined up.
Also, you have to put the engine in really straight to the input shaft or it won't line up with the pilot bearing.

Clean up the alignment pegs, clean up the holes they mate to. Make sure the engine and transmission don't both have a peg on the same side or it will never seat... Put anti-seize on them so it goes together (and in the future, comes apart), nicely.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

chrisgt posted:

Is your clutch alined right on the engine? How did you put it on, if it hasn't been aligned well, it won't slip over the splines.
Put the transmission in 5th gear with the parking brake on. As you're pushing the engine into the transmission, turn the crank back and forth a bit with a braker bar, it'll get the splines lined up.
Also, you have to put the engine in really straight to the input shaft or it won't line up with the pilot bearing.

Clean up the alignment pegs, clean up the holes they mate to. Make sure the engine and transmission don't both have a peg on the same side or it will never seat... Put anti-seize on them so it goes together (and in the future, comes apart), nicely.

One of the pegs is stuck in my old block. Do I need them both or will 1 and all the bolts be enough?
Also, its the turbo hitting a rib on the transmission. I read more about it, and people seem to wiggle it on. I mustn't have gotten the right angle.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

Slow is Fast posted:

loving legacy GT's....

Just bought a 2005 LGT, you guys are freaking me out. What's the deal with 2005?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

bidikyoopi posted:

Just bought a 2005 LGT, you guys are freaking me out. What's the deal with 2005?

Same issue as with all EJ25 turbos. Piston ringlands are made out of cheese.

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.

nm posted:

Same issue as with all EJ25 turbos. Piston ringlands are made out of cheese.

Even bone stock (Subaru air filter and all) with proper maintenance (synth oil every 3,500 miles, etc)?

I don't plan on even accesporting this car, my main thing is reliability on my 05 aut GT!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

mulligan posted:

Even bone stock (Subaru air filter and all) with proper maintenance (synth oil every 3,500 miles, etc)?

I don't plan on even accesporting this car, my main thing is reliability on my 05 aut GT!

Yes. In fact, the stock tune is probably less safe than a good tune.

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

nm posted:

There are no Subbie tuners in my country, a shitload of Evo/RX-7/NIssan tunners but not a single decent Subbie one... so I guess all I can do is keep the maintenance schedule, check fluids and hope for the best.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

mulligan posted:

There are no Subbie tuners in my country, a shitload of Evo/RX-7/NIssan tunners but not a single decent Subbie one... so I guess all I can do is keep the maintenance schedule, check fluids and hope for the best.

You can do tunes by email, to a certain extent.

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

You can do tunes by email, to a certain extent.

The only choice I considered is Infamous Performance tunes since they have been greatly recommended, but due to my concerns on fuel quality, I am loving nervous on upping the power on my car, the best "gas" we have here is the equivalent of MAYBE 91 octane and it's not guaranteed, some gas stations have been found to alter fuel in order to increase profits and I don't wanna live with that fear.

If they can tune the car with the same tolerance and knock adjustment as the stock one, while cleaning the map, by all means, I'd rather get an 15 HP / 20 TQ increase in the name of reliability, hell, screw the power, all I want is reliability, the stock power is fine bye me.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

nm posted:

That said, if you do a compression and leak down test on the motor and it checks out, it is unlikely that you'll have a problem if you don't beat the crap out of it too much.

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

Amandyke posted:

That said, if you do a compression and leak down test on the motor and it checks out, it is unlikely that you'll have a problem if you don't beat the crap out of it too much.

No track days, no auto x, no drag runs on it so far... proper oil care, proper coolant, nice and warmed up before driving.

I may accelerate on it to get to 60 or pass another car, but I treat it pretty well, the only 2 things I might add is a 06 sti up pipe and maybe Cosworth/Apexi panel filter.

Note: I DO have fun on the backroads, but nothing too harsh on it!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

^^^^^^^
06 up-pipe will improve reliability.

mulligan posted:

What country are you in? If you don't have US emissions tuning, you might be ok.
Also, access to higher octane gas would help a lot -- I'd certainly use the highest you can get -- as detonation causes it.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

nm posted:

I find this a weeeeee bit hard to believe, given a very thrashed STOCK WRX would be still going hard if it wasnt for a broken oil pickup, the engine internals at teardown were pretty much perfect other than of course what the pickup would have done. Put the highest availible octane fuel in, no problem.

The stock pickup.... well... that's a whole different issue. That IS poo poo.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Cat Terrist posted:

I find this a weeeeee bit hard to believe, given a very thrashed STOCK WRX would be still going hard if it wasnt for a broken oil pickup, the engine internals at teardown were pretty much perfect other than of course what the pickup would have done. Put the highest availible octane fuel in, no problem.
Do 2.5 turbos have the issues elsewhere that they do in the US? The problem is endemic here and doesn't seem to be as big of ina issue in the rest of the world.
I would strongly suspect we have different engine tuning out here. We're also running 91 AKI (~95 RON), which is probably much lower that you get.

nm fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Oct 22, 2012

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

nm posted:

^^^^^^^
06 up-pipe will improve reliability.

What country are you in? If you don't have US emissions tuning, you might be ok.
Also, access to higher octane gas would help a lot -- I'd certainly use the highest you can get -- as detonation causes it.

Yup, don't want the cat taking the turbo out....

I'm in DR, great weather, beer and beaches... horrible gas ... I am running close to 91 with octane booster.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

nm posted:

We're also running 91 AKI (~95 RON), which is probably much lower that you get.

98 RON. I will not put 95RON in a turbo car unless I have zero choice - No margin for error.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Cat Terrist posted:

98 RON. I will not put 95RON in a turbo car unless I have zero choice - No margin for error.
>91 AKI (95 RON) doesn't exist in most of the US west of the rockies (we can get 100-98 at a track, maybe, though in some states theres still stupid paperwork to be able to buy it). That plus EPA emission requirements probably mean we have a different stock tune you guys get in Australia.

I am curious whether the ring issue is as bad in Australia as it is here. I don't think you can find a subaru dealer or shop that doesn't have at least one car getting its pistons replaced in it right now.

nm fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Oct 22, 2012

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

nm posted:

I am curious whether the ring issue is as bad in Australia as it is here. I don't think you can find a subaru dealer or shop that doesn't have at least one car getting its pistons replaced in it right now.

Nope, it's basically only cars pushing power that break pistons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Why ask me ? I cant understand me either!
Ok, As I cant find a straight answer on the Interwebs.

Are the 2004 RX / WRX front hubs the same as the 2004 STi units or are they different?

Brakes aside...

And As far as i remember the 2005 Liberty units are the same as the 2005 STi units except for 100x5 PCD... Correct?