Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Jericho once said he requested $100,000 per year because he thought it would be amazing to make $100,000 and Bischoff gave him like $115,000.

I have a feeling Bischoff did that on every contract.

He then immediately regretted walking out with such a low offer. He said that he was happy with getting more than he asked for, but felt it was fairly likely he could have went for a higher figure and still convinced Bischoff to do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
Anyone know where I could read a thorough recounting of the whole Benoit tragedy online?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

The Monkey Man posted:

Anyone know where I could read a thorough recounting of the whole Benoit tragedy online?

I assume the Observer would have a really detailed issue or two on it, if you wanted to pay for a month's membership.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

triplexpac posted:

I assume the Observer would have a really detailed issue or two on it, if you wanted to pay for a month's membership.

You'd have to get a back issue ordered, since archives of the observer on the website only cover 92-95 and 08-today, outside of select issues.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

John Cena posted:

You'd have to get a back issue ordered, since archives of the observer on the website only cover 92-95 and 08-today, outside of select issues.

MELTZER :argh:

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

The Monkey Man posted:

How thorough? If you want, basically, the end-all-be-all, you should go with Meltzer's gigantic 6 part writeup from the Wrestling Observer. As others have noted, it's not online, so you'd have to order hard copies.

To do so, you can scroll through a daily update (like this one). I've reposted the relevant info here.

quote:

*July 2, 2007 (Part one of the Benoit double murder-suicide)

*July 5, 2007 (Part two of the Benoit double murder-suicide)

*July 10, 2007 (Part three of the Benoit double murder-suicide)

*July 19, 2007 (Part four of the Benoit double murder-suicide)

*July 23, 2007 (Part five of Benoit double murder-suicide)

*July 25, 2007 (Part six of Benoit double murder-suicide)

quote:

You can also order any of these issues on their own for $4 in North America or $5 overseas.

Rates are:

For the United States, it is $12 for 4 issues, $29 for 12, $55 for 24, $91 for 40 and $118 for 52. In Canada and Mexico, rates are $13.50 for 4, $33 for 12, $61 for 24, $101 for 40 and $131 or 52. In Europe, you can get the fastest delivery and best rates by sending to moonsault@mediaplusint.com For the rest of the world, rates are $15.50 for 4, $41 for 12, $78 for 24, $126 for 40 issues and $163 for 52 .

If you order by mail with a check, cash or money order (P.O. Box 1228, Campbell, CA 95009-1228), you can get $1 off in every price range.

Not the most web savvy method, but there it is.

EDIT: Actually, this is a little better. http://www.f4wonline.com/component/content/article/10906/

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

The Monkey Man posted:

I'm curious about how many threads were made here about the tragedy and the media coverage.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

achillesforever6 posted:

I'm curious about how many threads were made here about the tragedy and the media coverage.

Well there was the post that kind of overshadowed everything else.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
If you have archives, the thread from here about it and during Raw is Benoit is a pretty crazy read.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Also, while the Observer Benoit issues aren't online, you can get the F4Weeklys from that period digitally if you have a subscription.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Skinty McEdger posted:

I was trying to go to sleep a few minutes ago and for some reason the enormity of these events finally hit me and I couldn't stop crying. I have no real life friends who give a poo poo about professional wrestling, so this is basically the only place I have to express these feelings, but I really feel the need to express them.

I would like this thread to be about our personal feelings about the death of Chris Benoit, and how it has personally affected us. Just TV-IVing about the details as they come in, or wondering about the WWE's future, and all of that bullshit has no place here. I need to write about my feelings about Chris Benoit. Obviously these posts will be mocked elsewhere on the forums, but gently caress em. If you feel the need to say anything, say it.

-----

Chris Benoit is a murderer. He killed his wife and child. We will probably never know exactly what he was thinking. Obviously I did not know Chris Benoit. I never saw him in person and never spoke to him. But he represented something very special to me. In such a cut-throat, dirty, dark, often disgusting, business he was one of the good ones. When people talked poo poo about wrestling and the bastards involved in it, you could always muffin out Chris Benoit as the exception to the rule. He was the one you could muffin to as a true professional who honored the sport he loved, who was passionate about it, who proved that you could dedicate your life to professional wrestling without being insane or scum or a monster. He was the ace in the hole. He was the one who wasn't in it for the pussy or because he was a failed jock in another sport or because he wanted to get rich quick or because he wanted to be a movie star or because he saw wrestling as a means to an end. He was in it for professional wrestling. He was dedicated to being the best professional wrestler he could be, and it showed in the ring.

I wanted to be a professional wrestler since I was a little kid, and one of the very worst moments of my life was a cold night in San Antonio when I was on the phone to my girlfriend a thousand miles away and finally admitted to myself and to her that coming to Texas to be a wrestler had been a mistake. Coming to grips that I was simply not athletically or charismatically talented enough to be a professional wrestler was one of the worst moments of my life. The business glorifies the boyhood dreams that come true. My boyhood dream wasn't going to come true, and it was an upsetting, soul-crushing revelation that upsets and discourages me to this day.

Since then I lived vicariously through Chris Benoit in a lot of ways. He wasn't a man who was destined to be a WWE champion. He couldn't talk. He wasn't charismatic in the usual way. He was quiet. He was short. The only thing he had going for him was his work ethic. He wasn't a third generation wrestler. He wasn't physically gifted. He wasn't someone who had words come easy to him. But through sheer effort he was able to become one of the greatest professional wrestlers in history. By 40 years-old.

Chris Benoit was only forty, and he was already a legend on the verge of myth. That's how talented he was, and how respected.

I cannot reconcile in my mind that the man who unnecessarily gave back so much to the sport could end his life the way he did. I can't understand how a man could spend weeks and months trying to give back to younger guys like MVP, putting forth the care and effort to help them find their voice in the ring, and that that same man could strangle his wife and child only weeks later. It doesn't make sense. It shouldn't have happened this way. Not for him, not for Nancy, and not for their child.

Chris Benoit owed me nothing. But I still feel the loss. I selfishly lived through many of his accomplishments and now feel lost. I can only speak for myself, but I feel that for a lot of us Mondays and Fridays are rocks of stability in a storm of stress and uncertainty. Every week the show goes on. Every week the show is from somewhere new, somewhere in the world, but every week it comes into our homes.

And that will continue. But Chris Benoit is dead. And he died a murderer. And whether it be insanity, drugs, or just the actions of a clear-eyed monster, what is done is done. And one of the pillars for the guys backstage and one of the pillars for fans is gone. And everything that pillar held up is tainted and dripping with blood.

Chris Benoit was a murderer. And I don't know how to accept that.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Web Jew.0 posted:

Beniotchat

I'm pretty sure that's probatable now. Just a heads up.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

DannoMack posted:

If you have archives, the thread from here about it and during Raw is Benoit is a pretty crazy read.
Yeah I was reading that and I just remembered how depressed I was that night. :smith:

It was everyone slowly realizing what Benoit did that gets me.

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy
to be fair, there was a legitimate reason to post that and i am behind Web Jew.0 because We Stick Together

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

sportsgenius86 posted:

I'm pretty sure that's probatable now. Just a heads up.

It's not but it is probatable to be a backseat mod. Mods?

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Frot Lesnar posted:

It's not but it is probatable to be a backseat mod. Mods?

You and Web Jew.0 are gonna be in a tag team match against Save Russian Jews and sportsgenius86 tonight

Yo Eleven
Aug 5, 2010

LvK posted:

You and Web Jew.0 are gonna be in a tag team match against Save Russian Jews and sportsgenius86 tonight

Teddy Long account spotted, playa!

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

hulka has txt'd me, told you all to shut up.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I think that post is the first and only time I've read 'muffin' used as a verb.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Skinty McEdger posted:

The post didn't overshadow anything, it was just posted on a forum that still thinks goatse sightings are clever.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

The post didn't overshadow anything, it was just posted on a forum that still thinks goatse sightings are clever.

Calling goatse clever is stretching it.

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy
who all here remembers el asso wipo

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Save Russian Jews posted:

señor bag of crap had a better workrate

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Save Russian Jews posted:

El Asso Wipo and Captain Tragedy from Mr. Show used to rule the tag team ranks of my wrestling games.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Jericho once said he requested $100,000 per year because he thought it would be amazing to make $100,000 and Bischoff gave him like $115,000.

I have a feeling Bischoff did that on every contract.
Probably.

Lance Storm asked for X dollars with hotel and car rentals paid for.
Eric said he could have car or hotel but not both.
He settled for the car.

The contract showed up for at least 10% more and included both hotel and car.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Stuff like this is one of many reasons I've love to see a Ken Burns documentary series on pro-wrestling.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Jerusalem posted:

Stuff like this is one of many reasons I've love to see a Ken Burns documentary series on pro-wrestling.

Stuff like this is why I'd like to see a Dave Meltzer book on 90s pro wrestling.

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Probably.

Lance Storm asked for X dollars with hotel and car rentals paid for.
Eric said he could have car or hotel but not both.
He settled for the car.

Bischoff sounds like the best boss ever

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Christ, for all the talk of Heyman being a bad businessman I'm fairly sure that if Bischoff was in the same position Heyman was then ECW would have gone out of business in 1995.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Gonzo McFee posted:

Christ, for all the talk of Heyman being a bad businessman I'm fairly sure that if Bischoff was in the same position Heyman was then ECW would have gone out of business in 1995.

Well being the head of WCW was kind of an isolated/special case since they were backed by Ted Turner.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Counter point: TNA.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Gonzo McFee posted:

Counter point: TNA.
Well being a head of TNA is kind of an isolated/special case since they are backed by Bob Carter.

Alpha Lyrae
May 25, 2011

A star made in flesh
Since I last inquired in this thread, I have been watching some of Ric Flair in his prime.

I. LOVE. THIS. MAN. :swoon:

Also, the '92 Royal Rumble: :worship:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Alpha Lyrae posted:

Since I last inquired in this thread, I have been watching some of Ric Flair in his prime.

I. LOVE. THIS. MAN. :swoon:

Also, the '92 Royal Rumble: :worship:

Yeah, you kinda think "Nah, he couldn't be THAT good". Then you watch him when he was in his prime. He was absolutely incredible.

Alpha Lyrae
May 25, 2011

A star made in flesh

VogeGandire posted:

Yeah, you kinda think "Nah, he couldn't be THAT good". Then you watch him when he was in his prime. He was absolutely incredible.

I certainly was not prepared for it. He was phenomenal. I'm a Flair fanboy over night. Also his woo is the best call ever.

I'm experiencing that era for the first time and it blows me away how hot the crowd was back then. The main event matches feel like true main event bouts, something that the product today lacks to me.

Last night I was watching Ric Flair (c) vs. Kerry Von Erich in a best 2 out of 3 falls match in WCCW. The crowd was loving nuts for it and it made the match so much better.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Please tell me you've watched the whole Steamboat/Flair series?

There are two times in my life. The times BEFORE I saw those, and the times after.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

VogeGandire posted:

Hell, he was still capable of pretty incredible goddamn stuff when he was an old man, and his final match against Shawn Michaels at Wrestlemania 24 is one of the greatest things I've ever seen in wrestling. But yeah, goddamn was he incredible in his prime.

Alpha Lyrae posted:

Last night I was watching Ric Flair (c) vs. Kerry Von Erich in a best 2 out of 3 falls match in WCCW. The crowd was loving nuts for it and it made the match so much better.

Have you watched his I Quit match with Terry Funk that followed on from Wrestlewar 89? That match is pretty much :stare: personified and it'll make you realize just how great Terry Funk was as well.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Hell, he was still capable of pretty incredible goddamn stuff when he was an old man, and his final match against Shawn Michaels at Wrestlemania 24 is one of the greatest things I've ever seen in wrestling. But yeah, goddamn was he incredible in his prime.

Have you watched his I Quit match with Terry Funk that followed on from Wrestlewar 89? That match is pretty much :stare: personified and it'll make you realize just how great Terry Funk was as well.

I still sing the praises of the cage match he had with HHH at Taboo Tuesday 2005. The storytelling in that match is amazing, with Trips getting more and more frustrated every time this old man would peel himself off the ground.

And yes, the I Quit match is INSANE. Terry Funk and Ric Flair are both contenders for my GoaT, so that match is absolutely stunning for me. It really felt like these two guys just absolutely LOATHED each other.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

So where is Hunico and Camacho? I figured they would be ripe for the new tag division but they kinda disappeared

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alpha Lyrae
May 25, 2011

A star made in flesh

Jerusalem posted:

Not yet, it is on the queue though!

There were many truly great wrestlers in that time period it seems. Is it a result of the territory system? There were more markets, so more opportunity for a lot of great talent to rise up around the nation is my assumption.

VogeGandire posted:

I still sing the praises of the cage match he had with HHH at Taboo Tuesday 2005. The storytelling in that match is amazing, with Trips getting more and more frustrated every time this old man would peel himself off the ground.

And yes, the I Quit match is INSANE. Terry Funk and Ric Flair are both contenders for my GoaT, so that match is absolutely stunning for me. It really felt like these two guys just absolutely LOATHED each other.

Will have to see this later, especially with my new perspective on Flair.