Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

jadebullet posted:

So, continuing my inquiry into Imperial Guard effectiveness, I have just a few questions.

1) How do the named IG characters stack up?

Because no one else mentioned him yet, Marbo is by far the best 65 points you will ever spend. Very cheap, extremely effective, and "He's right behind you!" is hilarious. Everybody should bring him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

Okay, gently caress it.

I used to play 40K way, waaaay back in 4th edition, and have just now gotten to the point where I have the time (and disposable income) to actually consider picking the drat thing up again. As such, I've gotten my hands on the CSM book and a rulebook, and I'm thinking... Thousand Sons.

Am IHow retarded am I being for thinking about going pure TS? No allies, no daemons, just wave after wave of Psykers and undead Space Marines.

TLM3101 fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Oct 20, 2012

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

If you're just getting back in and like the concept and the models, go for it. Others will now commence to tell you that you will lose some of your games using overly blunt language. Just thought I'd get this in there first.

Dump_Stat
Aug 12, 2007

The glue trap works perfectly!
You should take Marbo in every loving Guard list.

Just because you get to scream "HE'S BEHIND YOU!!!" at your opponent and hopefully startle the poo poo out of him in the process.

He's probably, if not, one of the single best harassment units in the game just because he gets to huck a demo charge and an enemy unit has to spend an entire turn shooting / assaulting one dude just to kill him. And if by some chance he lives, they have to worry about mother loving Rambo in the 41st millennium jumping into the middle of their squad and loving their poo poo up, hence tying them up even longer.

Gotta love Marbo.

Hey goons, I've always wanted to make a Thousand Sons list. Compared to all the other cult units, they still look lame, just like in the last codex. They have Slow and Purposeful, and from what I can tell, gain no benefits from it, only hindrances.

With Ahriman being such a pimp on wheels, is it viable to make a 1k sons list now, or would I just be better going deathguard or noise marines, like everyone is doing?

I have nothing against the other cults, I would just like to play a TKISCSM army if they're not total poop.

Dump_Stat fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Oct 20, 2012

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

The reason I've been looking at Thousand Sons is, honestly, a combination of liking the models and (gods help me) the fluff, as well as the sheer amount of Psykers you can put on the field, all of them with Ld 10 and rolling powers from the Lore of Tzeentch. That all your troops have an invulnerable save of 4+ doesn't hurt either, of course, even if Slow and Purposeful can gum up the works.

TLM3101 fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Oct 20, 2012

Dump_Stat
Aug 12, 2007

The glue trap works perfectly!
That's what I'm thinking. I'm going to get in a proxy game this Sunday. My hope is that with the wall of psychic blasterizing I'll be tossing around, it will mitigate the fact that my army will A)Not be good in assault, B) Be slow as poo poo, C) will have to rely on Rhinos to get around the board and hope that I can either pyschic or bolter my opponent into the dirt.

It seems like a one trick pony, but I have yet to use a psyker in this edition (Mech Guard player), and I'm hoping that I'm pleasantly surprised. Wish me luck!

Shosuro
Nov 30, 2007

Adrian Finol posted:

I painted something.

May I ask how you did the glowy bits? I'm doing something similar for mine and am not completely sure how to go about it.
Also, is the black just regular old Chaos/Abadon Black? Or did you do something else to it?
Great job, by the way.

D. Eisenhower
Oct 31, 2011

Anyone else see Super Star Wars (SNES) in this?

lockdar
Jul 7, 2008

Kwosge posted:

code:
Eldar Allies:
Farseer:      55
Warding:    15
Witnesing:  10
Doom:         25
Fortune:      30

Pathfinders: 120

War Walker x3: 150
Scatter Laser
Surican Cannon
                            Total: 405
code:
Necron Allies:
Storm Lord:            225

Necron Lord:            35
Sword
Weave:                     15
Mindshackle.            15

Cryptek:                    25
Destruction:              10
Solar Pulse:               20

Necron Warriors x5:  65

Night Scythe:            100
                          Total: 510
Here is what I came up with as far as allies go for my Tau. Necrons focus on keeping night fight up and a bit of CC killing. As well as flyer fuckery.
Eldar are for outflanking war walkers and Pathfinders that snipe all day long and run around with 2+ saves.

I run my Tau with a lot of markerlights, no tanks, two full units of fire warriors and 3 groups of suits of various types.
Any thoughts?

I'd throw out the Pathfinders and take a unit of Jetbike with a Shurican Cannon for 76 points (3 bikes), they are very mobile and move just like your suits plus it's another round of S6 shooting you're getting.

Adrian Finol
Sep 5, 2004

Shosuro posted:

May I ask how you did the glowy bits? I'm doing something similar for mine and am not completely sure how to go about it.
Also, is the black just regular old Chaos/Abadon Black? Or did you do something else to it?
Great job, by the way.

Thanks!

The black is actually Vallejo's German Panzer Grey, airbrushed on.

As for the glowy bits, I used Vallejo's Magic Blue as a base, then a 1:1 mix of it and white for the medium shade, then a mix of mostly white with a tiny bit of blue for the brightest color. I coated the orbs in a sort of 3 layer cake, with the bottom of the orb the darkest blue, the mid the second shade and the top with the whiteish. Then I used two brush blending between all three colors and finished with a light glaze of guilliman blue to tie it all up together.

My tongue is a bit blue at the moment from all this.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
My local GW is doing a sorta Kill Team campaign.

I'm thinking, along other possibilities, of taking some Blood Angel Terminators and a Terminator Librarian.

Which powers should I take on him for utility in games where I'll likely be outnumbered heavily and chasing stuff to catch them?

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Gate Of infinity is a must have for kill team and generally chasing stuff, assuming the blood angels it.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
Is your Xeno list missing something? Why not take Chaos allies?

Utility HQ:
Nurgle Demonprince (Distraction/Assault-y)
Flying
Black Mace
245pts

Tzeentch Lord (Distraction/Assault-y)
Disc of Tzeentch (Jetbike & +1A)
Burning Brand (Torrent Ap3 Flamer)
Sigil of Corruption (3++ with Mark)
Power Fist/or/Murder Sword
165-175pts

Nurgle Sorcerer (Debuffs and/or Buffs)
Mastery level 1/or/3
80-130pts

Warpsmith (Debuff Cover & Vehicles)
110pts

Useful Troops: (Marching Blob, Hide Sorcerer or Warpsmith)
30x Cultist
3x Flamer
145pts

10x CSM (Midfield Scoring)
1x Combi Melta/or/Plasma
2x Melta/or/Plasma
Rhino
205-215pts

Melta Linebreakers:
3x Terminators (deepstrike)
3x Combi Melta
110pts

5x Chosen (outflank)
2-4x Meltagun
110-130pts

5x Raptors (deepstrike)
2x Melta
115pts

5x Bikers (Turboboost)
2x Meltagun
130pts

Assault beatdown:
5 Nurgle Chaos Spawn
180pts

Maulerfiend
With or Without Tendrils
125-135pts

Efficient firesupport:
Heldrake w/ Baleflamer
170pts

5x Nurgle Havocs
4x autocannon
130pts (+15pts per extra T5 wound)

Forgefiend
2x Hades Autocannons
175pts

[edit] Changed Nurgle Sorcerer

WhiteOutMouse fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Oct 20, 2012

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Carcer posted:

Gate Of infinity is a must have for kill team and generally chasing stuff, assuming the blood angels it.

They don't have it, they have Wings of Sanguinius which is like moving with a jump pack.

I'm taking Tactical Terminators so catching stuff in CC isn't quite so important.

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

Okay. The core of my army is coming together... Except I have to order the upgrade packs direct from GW. :argh: Still, once they get here, I'll have:

HQ:

One Chaos Sorcerer Lord in Terminator Armor

Elites:

One squad of 5 Terminators.

Troops:

Two squads of Thousand Sons Rubricae, 9 models apiece

Planning on starting the painting with the Rubricae so that I can get back into it slowly... and on models that I'm not entirely too terrified I'll mess up. Might also be doing some conversion-work on the Terminators, so that's another reason to start off easy.

That should be enough to be getting on with, though I might also get some Chaos Spawn to fill the Fast Attack needs of the army.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

TLM3101 posted:

Okay. The core of my army is coming together... Except I have to order the upgrade packs direct from GW. :argh: Still, once they get here, I'll have:

HQ:

One Chaos Sorcerer Lord in Terminator Armor

Elites:

One squad of 5 Terminators.

Troops:

Two squads of Thousand Sons Rubricae, 9 models apiece

Planning on starting the painting with the Rubricae so that I can get back into it slowly... and on models that I'm not entirely too terrified I'll mess up. Might also be doing some conversion-work on the Terminators, so that's another reason to start off easy.

That should be enough to be getting on with, though I might also get some Chaos Spawn to fill the Fast Attack needs of the army.

There's some great 3rd party companies who do alternate head models. Many of them have cool Egyptian heads that would look good on terminators if you wanted them to look more like 1ksons

Puppets war even has these ones http://puppetswar.com/product.php?id_product=99

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

Cataphract posted:

There's some great 3rd party companies who do alternate head models. Many of them have cool Egyptian heads that would look good on terminators if you wanted them to look more like 1ksons

Puppets war even has these ones http://puppetswar.com/product.php?id_product=99

Nice! Thanks for the tip! I'm not sure if I'll go that route, but I'm sure I can find a use for something like that. My current plan is to either simply swap the terminator heads for the Thousand Sons heads (as some others have done with quite a bit of success), or cut the headdress off of the heads in the upgrade pack and mount them on the "top" of the Terminators (more in keeping with the lore, but won't necessarily look as good, I think). Whatever I end up doing, the results should be interesting.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
For what it's worth, I have a set of the Anubis heads from puppetswar and they look great, but they're about appropriately sized for power armor marines, maybe even a bit shorter to the top of the 'cranium' than regular helmets. They might look a bit small on terminators. YMMV. I just remember a picture where someone used a regular beakie helmet on a terminator and it didn't look quite right to me, so I imagine this would have the same problem.

As an alternative, puppetswar also has a range of Egyptian-god shoulder pads, and those specifically do come in terminator variants (at least if I'm reading their don't-get-sued terminology correctly). Those could help Egypt-ify your terminators.

Bionic Psyker
Apr 23, 2009

TLM3101 posted:

Nice! Thanks for the tip! I'm not sure if I'll go that route, but I'm sure I can find a use for something like that. My current plan is to either simply swap the terminator heads for the Thousand Sons heads (as some others have done with quite a bit of success), or cut the headdress off of the heads in the upgrade pack and mount them on the "top" of the Terminators (more in keeping with the lore, but won't necessarily look as good, I think). Whatever I end up doing, the results should be interesting.

I showed a little math in an earlier post, and tried it out this wednesday in a game. The thousand sons sorceror is only 2 points cheaper than the HQ sorc, so it's the same cost for an HQ sorc (lvl 2) and 10 basic CSM with some cheap upgrades as a 10 man TSon squad. You get access to the rulebook lores, an extra role, and special weapons at the cost of AP3 bolters. The tzeentch lore really isn't all that good, so unless you roll doombolt your Tsons sorcerors probably won't add much.

I tried it on Wednesday, running 2 squads of CSM, one with a lvl 2 sorc 2, one with a lvl 3 (both with familiar), with a flamer/melta in one squad and dual plasma guns in another. 2 squads of autocannon havocs, one squad of missile havocs, 5 man bikers, a heldrake, and cultists.

It rocked socks. Rolled invisibility on both sorcs and took psychic shriek on the lvl 3, so both squads ran around invisible with a 2+ save most of the game hugging cover. One psychic shriek knocked out 4 of a 5 man deathwing terminator squad. The heldrake didn't make too much of an impact honestly, but we only played 3 rounds before my opponent called it, and the heldrake was only on the table for 2. It toasted some biker marines and a squad in some ruins, killed 6 or 7 total.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.

WhiteOutMouse posted:

5x Chosen (outflank)
2-4x Meltagun
110-130pts

These guys no longer outflank

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

I think it would be cool to back up a TSon list with predators packing warpflame gargoyles. Soul blaze, while not particularly great, is a super fluffy addition to a Tzeentch list, and it's only 5 points to give it to every gun on a tank.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Have any of you got the KR Dark Eldar trays? How well do the Raiders/Ravagers fit in with all their spikes & sails?

frest
Sep 17, 2004

PeterWeller posted:

I think it would be cool to back up a TSon list with predators packing warpflame gargoyles. Soul blaze, while not particularly great, is a super fluffy addition to a Tzeentch list, and it's only 5 points to give it to every gun on a tank.

If it had been d6 auto hits instead of d3, it would probably not be as trash as it is

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

frest posted:

If it had been d6 auto hits instead of d3, it would probably not be as trash as it is

I don't think it's really that trash. You check to see if it causes hits at the end of every turn, and it can continue to slowly chip away at a unit for the rest of the game.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

PeterWeller posted:

They're especially amusing on havoc launchers, as they then become Flaming Napalm Rockets :black101:

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
If Soul Blaze counters stacked, they might be worth buying. 5 points for Gargoyles is probably about right, though. It just kinda sucks as they made a bunch of people's tanks non-WYSIWUG. (not that most people will care)

Flying Guillotine
Dec 29, 2005

by angerbot

They haven't clarified how many attacks the Helbrute is supposed to have, or that you can take more than 10 members of a Plague Zombie squad.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Flying Guillotine posted:

They haven't clarified how many attacks the Helbrute is supposed to have, or that you can take more than 10 members of a Plague Zombie squad.

actually they explicitly did explain that you can add additional models to a plague zombie unit.

e: why is it unclear how many attacks a helbrute has? it has 2. If it had two power fists, it would have 3.

frest fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Oct 20, 2012

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

They haven't clarified how many attacks the Helbrute is supposed to have

That's an issue?

or that you can take more than 10 members of a Plague Zombie squad.

They specifically answered that one.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

frest posted:

e: why is it unclear how many attacks a helbrute has? it has 2. If it had two power fists, it would have 3.

I think that's an effect of the DV box, where it had 2 printed in the reference sheet but 3 in the colour booklet. Also, some people say that a powerfist on a dread gives +1A, but if that were true (and i don't see it anywhere) it would already be included in the stat line.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Lungboy posted:

I think that's an effect of the DV box, where it had 2 printed in the reference sheet but 3 in the colour booklet. Also, some people say that a powerfist on a dread gives +1A, but if that were true (and i don't see it anywhere) it would already be included in the stat line.

The +1A is for buying a second powerfist; it only comes with one by default, so why would it be in the stat line?

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

Lungboy posted:

Also, some people say that a powerfist on a dread gives +1A,

They are confusing it with the rule that if walkers are equipped two or more melee weapons, they get a bonus attack for each extra weapon beyond the first.

Lungboy posted:

but if that were true (and i don't see it anywhere) it would already be included in the stat line.

Nope, they've changed the formatting of Codex entries. The Maulerfiend has two power fists and only 2 attacks in its profile, but it definitely has 3 attacks base (until a power fist is destroyed.)

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

MasterSlowPoke posted:

If Soul Blaze counters stacked, they might be worth buying. 5 points for Gargoyles is probably about right, though. It just kinda sucks as they made a bunch of people's tanks non-WYSIWUG. (not that most people will care)

Yeah, I guess the dragon muzzles are now warpflame gargoyles, but if anyone does care, remind them that WYSIWYG is no longer a rule.

frest posted:

actually they explicitly did explain that you can add additional models to a plague zombie unit.

The idea of units of 35 fearless, FNP GEq makes me want to get Typhus now.

CaptainPete
Apr 26, 2009

For those of you who have the DV rulebook: Does it have the allies list in it or is that only in the big one?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

It has all the force building and mission rules, including allies and fortifications. It's page for page the rules section and rules appendices from the main rulebook, just smaller.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

PeterWeller posted:

remind them that WYSIWYG is no longer a rule.
What. When did that happen?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pierzak posted:

What. When did that happen?

6th ed.

e: The only remaining WYSIWYG rule is determining what type of power/force weapon something is.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

D. Eisenhower posted:

Anyone else see Super Star Wars (SNES) in this?

Nope, I just see this.

For another topic though. Does anyone else find the Stormraven model to be an excruciating chore of a model to build and paint? I don't know what it is but it just doesn't feel fun to model.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
So I managed a win against an Imperial Guard player in my first 700 escalation league using Tyranids, barely pulling out a win and then realizing that the player was unknowingly cheating (and thus won by a lot more than I thought). He had assumed that his orders lasted into the other player's turn, but after ready through his rules (after the game) I found that was obviously false.

The rules for the escalation game read that you game field any army provided you change the list. Should I stick with Tyranids or go Necron, Space Marine, or Chaos Space Marine?

I've got some photos for the battle and will probably post a battle report when I have a little more time tomorrow.

jadebullet posted:

Nope, I just see this.

It's the same thing. :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I say as long as you're winning with them, or just having fun with them really, stick with your nids.

• Locked thread