Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Tenterhooks posted:

Tweetbot for Mac is finally out and causing some controversy with its $19.99 price tag.

As a user of the beta, I really like the app and I'm happy to pay a fairly high amount for it. For those who consider it too expensive, a lot of blame is being directed at Twitter's recent limitations on the number of users 3rd party clients are allowed to serve. I imagine the Tapbots folks are being cautious with supply & demand on release.

I think Daniel Jalkut nailed it with this piece: http://bitsplitting.org/2012/10/18/fairly-priced/

I agree with him. I'm definitely willing to pay $20 for Tweetbot, but it's not really a "fair" price if it's more than Tapbots even wanted to sell it for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Jealous Cow posted:

I'm not sure if this has been touched on in this thread, but there's been a little bit of drama regarding the security of FileVault 2.

Apparently there is a hack which allows someone to dump the contents of RAM to another machine via Firewire.

CNET wrote an article about a vendor that sells software that uses the exploit: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57369983-263/filevault-2-easily-decrypted-warns-passware/

Todd Garrison at Frameloss.org provides a fix for this by forcing your Mac to dump RAM to disk and turn it off (thus clearing it) every time you go to sleep and deleting the keys from RAM when the Mac is locked.

http://www.frameloss.org/2011/09/18/firewire-attacks-against-mac-os-lion-filevault-2-encryption/

I stumbled across this while looking for some reviews on FileVault as I'm considering turning it on as my personal and work Mac are one in the same and I travel for work.

I'd like to hear about anyone's experiences using FileVault 2 on a machine equipped with an SSD, especially if you use VMs frequently.

A DMA attack could potentially be done with Thunderbolt also (or anything with direct access to the machine's memory). However, this isn't, as far as I know, an issue that is limited to FileVault. Any kind of encryption system is going to have to store the decryption key in memory while it's running, which would make them all vulnerable to anyone who happens to have access to said memory.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Diabolik900 posted:

I think Daniel Jalkut nailed it with this piece: http://bitsplitting.org/2012/10/18/fairly-priced/

I agree with him. I'm definitely willing to pay $20 for Tweetbot, but it's not really a "fair" price if it's more than Tapbots even wanted to sell it for.

I think this'll help too:

Smart of Apple.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Jealous Cow posted:

I'd like to hear about anyone's experiences using FileVault 2 on a machine equipped with an SSD, especially if you use VMs frequently.
You're not going to notice a difference.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Choadmaster posted:

A DMA attack could potentially be done with Thunderbolt also (or anything with direct access to the machine's memory). However, this isn't, as far as I know, an issue that is limited to FileVault. Any kind of encryption system is going to have to store the decryption key in memory while it's running, which would make them all vulnerable to anyone who happens to have access to said memory.

Will memory address layout randomization help here? I'm assuming these types of exploits are available due to flaws in the way the port's controller deals with external devices?

wolffenstein posted:

You're not going to notice a difference.

Thanks.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Jealous Cow posted:

Will memory address layout randomization help here? I'm assuming these types of exploits are available due to flaws in the way the port's controller deals with external devices?

It's probably being used and that's why the attack takes 40 minutes - it has to scan/analyze memory

And it's not a flaw, it's the way it works.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Bob Morales posted:

It's probably being used and that's why the attack takes 40 minutes - it has to scan/analyze memory

And it's not a flaw, it's the way it works.

There must be some sort of security in place. I find it hard to believe that the host device would just let anything plugged in access it's memory.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Jealous Cow posted:

There must be some sort of security in place. I find it hard to believe that the host device would just let anything plugged in access it's memory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DMA_attack

TL;DR don't worry about it unless you're working for the CIA and you're plugging in random Firewire devices from rogue states.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003
FYI http://macheist.com/ is running a bundle right now.

Bundle Contents:

Bejeweled 3 $20
Scrivener $45
Courier $10
PDF Signer $10
Artboard $30
Jurassic Park $30
Sam and Max $35
Strong Bad $30
Radium $25
DiskTools Pro $80
Evernote $60
HDRtist $30
Firetask $40
BioShock 2 $25
Painter Lite $70

For $29, some of the last ones are not unlocked yet. Nothing in there really stands out to me but I figured I'd throw it out there. I'm also interested in reviews of any of the products if anyone uses them.

mattdev
Sep 30, 2004

Gentlemen of taste, refinement, luxury.

Women want us, men want to be us.
I purchased it solely because of Evernote Premium. I already subscribe to it and 15 months would normally set you back $75. Free money, folks!

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Can existing Evernote subscribers add the time to their current subscription or is it just for new users?

Like every bundle I've seen lately, this one is really "meh" except for the Evernote thing.

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

Do hot corners randomly stop working for anyone else? Running 10.8.2 on a rMBP.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I was thinking about that bundle for Sam and Max and the Strongbad games, but I wish they could be in Steam.

Random other question. In Chrome, is there a way to change the way a middle-click on a link or whatever brings you to that tab in focus? Right now I have to middle click, and then select the tab that opened in the background. All the plugins for middle click control seem to even address this, or are too much bloat for this one simple thing.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

IUG posted:

I was thinking about that bundle for Sam and Max and the Strongbad games, but I wish they could be in Steam.
Huh? They both say "this app is redeemed via Steam."

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

WarTribble posted:

I used this guide several months ago:

http://derflounder.wordpress.com/2011/10/22/removing-and-rebuilding-a-malfunctioning-recover-hd-partition/

I only needed to create the volume, so I started with "Step Three: Rebuilding the recovery partition."
It works fine - I've booted from it several times since then.

Thank you for this info :)

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

terriyaki posted:

Do hot corners randomly stop working for anyone else? Running 10.8.2 on a rMBP.

I used to see this on my old PowerBook running Leopard, but so far never on my new machine. Doing a killall Dock from Terminal always got everything working again, but I was never able to find a permanent solution.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Choadmaster posted:

Can existing Evernote subscribers add the time to their current subscription or is it just for new users?

Yes for existing too. I just extended mine.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Sonic Dude posted:

Huh? They both say "this app is redeemed via Steam."

Well, now I have a $30 problem...

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

mattdev posted:

I purchased it solely because of Evernote Premium. I already subscribe to it and 15 months would normally set you back $75. Free money, folks!

Until you fill your Evernote account and your subscription expires forcing you to pay. :v: It's pretty clever actually.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Advice Needed

I'm getting a divorce and need to get my Wife's poo poo off the iMac (that I'm keeping) and on to an external drive she can use with her MBA.

I know all of her music, movies, TV shows and apps are in iTunes, so I know I move the library to an external drive pretty easily. Same with iPhoto. However, she has tons of poo poo strewn about her user folder and would need all of that as well. If I move the iTunes and iPhoto libraries to the external drive (move, not copy), can I then just copy her user folder to the external drive as well? I'd hate for her stuff in the user folder to be on lock down or some usable format.

Any concerns with this?

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Jealous Cow posted:

1. I wouldn't be surprised if similar exploits exist or will exist for other ports
2. If someone has physical access to my machine's hardware, that doesn't mean they have access to the data contained therein. There are other considerations, such as when traveling to and from some countries.
3. I haven't heard anything about it for a long time, never in relation to Intel machines, until I started researching FileVault.

I think I read somewhere that this is fixed in Mountain Lion and maybe the latest Lion?

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

dexter6 posted:

Advice Needed

I'm getting a divorce and need to get my Wife's poo poo off the iMac (that I'm keeping) and on to an external drive she can use with her MBA.

I know all of her music, movies, TV shows and apps are in iTunes, so I know I move the library to an external drive pretty easily. Same with iPhoto. However, she has tons of poo poo strewn about her user folder and would need all of that as well. If I move the iTunes and iPhoto libraries to the external drive (move, not copy), can I then just copy her user folder to the external drive as well? I'd hate for her stuff in the user folder to be on lock down or some usable format.

Any concerns with this?

Assuming the iTunes and iPhoto libraries are also in her user folder, why bother copying those separately? Just copy her whole user folder over to the drive and you should be done (provided none of her poo poo is in your account and/or some shared location).

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

dexter6 posted:

Advice Needed

Any concerns with this?
Once you move the stuff, open Terminal and run this:
code:
sudo chmod -R 777 <drag the folder on the external here>
Don't forget the space between 777 and dragging the folder, and only drag the folder from the external drive, not the internal.

Or just copy stuff over and let her figure out the permissions bullshit. That's what I did when I copied my now-ex-wife's stuff to a drive.

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

To be a man you must have honor...
...honor and a penis!

Sonic Dude posted:

Once you move the stuff, open Terminal and run this:
code:
sudo chmod -R 777 <drag the folder on the external here>
Don't forget the space between 777 and dragging the folder, and only drag the folder from the external drive, not the internal.

Or just copy stuff over and let her figure out the permissions bullshit. That's what I did when I copied my now-ex-wife's stuff to a drive.

If you log into her account and copy the entire home folder you won't need to change the permissions. Just change her password in SysPrefs if you don't know it. Permissions are ignored on external drives by default.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Shin-chan posted:

If you log into her account and copy the entire home folder you won't need to change the permissions. Just change her password in SysPrefs if you don't know it. Permissions are ignored on external drives by default.
I just imagined her copying it straight to computer B, and then being all confused when the short name of the owner is different.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

dexter6 posted:

Advice Needed

Any concerns with this?
You could just use Time Machine but erase your home folder from the backup afterwards.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Is there anything like Grindstone available for OSX? Mostly I used it for tracking hours spent in tasks inside projects.

lunar detritus fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Oct 20, 2012

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

gmq posted:

Is there anything like Grindstone available for OSX? Mostly I used it for tracking hours spent in tasks inside projects.

I'm a big fan of Harvest, not sure if it has the features you need.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

We should expect the iTunes overhaul at the conference, right? God, I'm so ready for that.

PLEASE HAVE QUEUEING FEATURES.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
http://www.apple.com/itunes/new-itunes/

See Bonus Features.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

…now if they could only get it to not reset itself and lose all data if for some reason it can't locate the volume with all the files on at this very instant. :bang:

Hell, just throwing up a “sorry, can't find it guv'” warning instead of guessing that complete data destruction is probably the best cause of action would be a vast improvement.

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

...honor and a penis!

Sonic Dude posted:

I just imagined her copying it straight to computer B, and then being all confused when the short name of the owner is different.

Copying the files from the external drive to computer B would grant ownership of the files to the short name of the user on computer B.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Did Apple start changing the naming convention for OSX Server? I just got a seed notice for OSX Server 2.1 and had no idea what the hell they were talking about.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Shin-chan posted:

Copying the files from the external drive to computer B would grant ownership of the files to the short name of the user on computer B.
This isn't always the case. We do lots of data transfers at work, and even moving through an external with permissions ignored, if we don't reset the owner then we get a call from an irritated customer. Maybe it's something different about how we're copying the data, because we use cp (since the Finder adds an oddly-huge amount of overhead when copying lots of files)?

Martytoof posted:

Did Apple start changing the naming convention for OSX Server? I just got a seed notice for OSX Server 2.1 and had no idea what the hell they were talking about.
Technically with Lion. Since Server was no longer a separate OS as of Lion, the app was just Server 1.0. Mountain Lion was Server 2.0. For marketing, Apple referred to it in the Lion era as "Mac OS X 10.7 Lion Server," and now it's "OS X Server on Mountain Lion."

The beta (which was Server 2.2 Seed 2 for me) looks pretty cool actually.

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

...honor and a penis!

Sonic Dude posted:

This isn't always the case. We do lots of data transfers at work, and even moving through an external with permissions ignored, if we don't reset the owner then we get a call from an irritated customer. Maybe it's something different about how we're copying the data, because we use cp (since the Finder adds an oddly-huge amount of overhead when copying lots of files)?

I've never run into this situation using both Finder and cp. If you're using cp with elevated rights (sudo) you're copying the files as root, not as the current user. Copied files inherit the owner of the user who is doing the copying unless you are using an option such as -a or -dR --preserve=ALL or some form of -p.

The only way I can think of that you would get shortnameA from the origin computer onto a destination computer of a user with shortnameB is that you setup the destination computer into target mode (or copy to an external drive and then install that drive into a machine) and use the origin computer to do the file copying. In this case, shortnameA would own the files.

That said you are correct, you should double check the permissions of the files on the destination machine, but since he's dealing with an ex I'd say it's her problem.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
Is anyone else having an issue in 10.8.2 wherein Finder isn't updating file additions? For instance, I download something with transmission, it finishes, and then the file isn't in my download's folder. The only way to make it appear is to choose show in finder from in transmission or kill and reopen finder.

That's just one example, but it's happened in a few separate instances...

Didion
Mar 16, 2009
Yeah, same here. I think perhaps it came with the 10.8 .2 update?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Sonic Dude posted:

The beta (which was Server 2.2 Seed 2 for me) looks pretty cool actually.

Ah yeah, 2.2.2. I didn't real the email closely and just threw out the first numbers I could think of :)

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuckyTaikonaut
Oct 14, 2005
A small step for me, a huge leap for chinkdom
After having my LG display exchanged for a Samsung one, my rMBP is draining about 30% of battery during any given night while sleeping. I had this issue prior to the display exchange, but could fix it with a simple restart. I have reset the SMC twice to no avail. Battery health seems fine otherwise, so I don't think that it is a hardware issue.

Anything I can try before heading back to the fruit stand?