Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

cryme posted:

while we're setting the record straight, pumking is disgusting garbage

I think there are very few people who will disagree with you on that. And those that do are wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

RiggenBlaque posted:

I think there are very few people who will disagree with you on that. And those that do are wrong

There are plenty of people in this thread alone who would disagree.

I'm not one of those people, though.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
Opinions are pretty awesome, and they're exactly that, opinions. Everyone has different palates, and as a result, we all have different tastes! I don't think we should turn this thread into a Pumking fans vs Non-Pumking fans thread.

e: On another note, Cleveland Beer Week (CBW) started today, but I'm too broke to go out more than one night (Probably because I'll spend $100+ in one night). Hoppin Frog brewed a version of BORIS with Belgian Chocolate Malt instead of Roasted Barley for CBW, and I'm hoping to try it. There's also going to be a bunch of collab beers out, including a Maple Bacon Imperial Stout by Fat Head's/Willoughby Brewing that I also really, really want to try.

Kudosx fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Oct 20, 2012

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

cryme posted:

while we're setting the record straight, pumking is disgusting garbage

Agreed with this.

On a side note, my local bar just posted part of the taplist for their beer nerd halloween celebration. I'll be strolling a block and a half that day after work to have a nice glass of Black Note :)

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Tigren posted:

Is that Le Terroir a new bottle? It's one of my favorite beers and I can't find it anywhere, nor can I find much about release information.

I would also like to know this because I agree. I spent like 10 minutes sniffing that beer the first time I found it (on tap) because it smelled so awesome.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

New Belgium is massively expanding their barrel program so I expect we will see more Le Terroir down the road. I sure hope so because it is loving perfect. But it may take several years, such is the nature of sour beers :smith:

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Pumking or non Pumking. I will say one thing -- if you live in Southern Tier distribution, then I think we can all agree that all their bombers are great trade bait.

In other news, I just had another wonderful session at the Crux in Bend. They debuted their saison today, which frankly was too hoppy and non-saisony for me to like, but they also had a nitro stout which was fantastic. I was chatting with some guys there and they said that going about half a year on, they planned to get a lot more barrels and kind of go half-normal, half-barrel aged on the beers they do, which is fantastic news to me, since I certainly like breweries of that bent I can bike to.

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?

Docjowles posted:

New Belgium is massively expanding their barrel program so I expect we will see more Le Terroir down the road. I sure hope so because it is loving perfect. But it may take several years, such is the nature of sour beers :smith:

When I did the NB tour, I used one cap on a sampler of Le Terrior, and in retrospect I should have used them all on it, because I've not had it since. Great sour, I really hope the expanded program produces a lot of it.

Incursus
Sep 17, 2012

NOTHING LIKE HAVING THE BEST OEGAMIOM IN THE WORLD EVERYDAY!
So what do you mean by the "sour" taste? Is this a special type of brew or fairly common?

Also any recommendations would be great.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

wattershed posted:

I just mean a) when it's freshly brewed and on tap at the brewery, or b) they use another type or additional amounts of coffee in a brewery-only tap offering.
The best is Vietnamese Coffee Speedway. So, so loving good.

There's a one-time-only Alesmith beer event in Vegas this weekend to coincide with my buddy's book tour coming to town. Two restaurants are doing five course tasting menus with Alesmith pairings. Tonight I went to Onda, an Italian restaurant. Menu here.

First course: Bay Scallops baked on half shell, Parmesan Creamy Spinach, Pancetta; Paired with X. Great pairing. The salinity in the scallops went well with the light character of X, the parmesan provided just enough richness, and everything came together nicely. Also the scallops were perfectly cooked.

Second course: Calamari And Arancini Fritti, Marinara; Paired with IPA. Seriously some of the best calamari I've ever had. The IPA was a little big to pair with light seafood like that, but the arancini (stuffed with very good mozzarella) was the star of the plate and the pairing. Hops do a good job of cutting through fat - just as good a job as acid in wines - but the primary effect here was to accent the grain flavors of the rice and breadcrumb coating. The beer's astringency highlighted the earthy notes in the food in a really interesting way.

Third course: Black Truffle Pasta; Paired with Nut Brown. Sometimes the sequence of dishes is more important than individual pairings, and this was one of those times. This course sort of reversed the effects of the previous one - the earthy truffles accented the hazelnut and toffee aromas in the beer. I've had a lot of Nut Brown, but this made the beer a new experience. Really great both as a dish and as a pairing.

Fourth course: Parmesan Crusted Colorado Lamb, Sweet and Sour Roasted Peppers, Polenta; Paired with Old Numbskull. I'm not a huge fan of West Coast barleywines, but Alesmith does as well with the style as anyone. Both food and beer were good, and they paired well together, but this was probably the least effective course of the night. Still, I got lamb and it was delicious.

Dessert: Flourless Chocolate Torte, Hazelnut Cream; Paired with Speedway Stout. The lowest-effort pairing of the night (big stout with chocolate? shocking!) was predictably fantastic. Speedway remains one of my favorite stouts. Some of the beers were served too cold, but the Speedway was perfect at around 60 degrees - cool, great for aroma development without being warm enough to show a lot of alcohol.

Overall this was a really successful menu that got me thinking about pairing potential, especially the truffle pasta with Nut Brown - that beer goes vastly better with earthy flavors than I'd expected. There's serious potential for pairing with beets and other root vegetables. Cheers to the Onda service staff, who were great, and their kitchen who put out spot-on food all night. On Sunday I'll be doing the Kokomo's menu, which looks even better.

quote:

Also, Indra Kunindra is awesome and Midorka is wrong :colbert:
This is a correct opinion, though I'd note it reacts even more poorly than most to oxidation. If you have it at a bar that occasionally swaps out half kegs without proper purging, later taps will taste pretty terrible.

Both sides of the Pumking argument are correct. It's terrible, awful, and horrific and I love it to death. It's a train wreck beer I can't get enough of.

bartolimu fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Oct 20, 2012

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Incursus posted:

So what do you mean by the "sour" taste? Is this a special type of brew or fairly common?

Also any recommendations would be great.

here. if you follow the lambic, gueuze, and Flanders red links you will (obviously) see more about the respective styles along with some of the most common/best-known examples. you can also use a site like ratebeer.com or beeradvocate.com, look up beers by style, and either sort by rating to figure out what's "best" or sort by number of ratings to see what you're more likely to find (you're bound to come across one or two of these: New Belgium La Folie, Duchesse de Bourgogne, Rodenbach Grand Cru, Petrus Oud Bruin, Hanssens Oud Gueuze, Lindemans Gueuze Cuvee Rene, Monk's Cafe). sour beers aren't for everyone, but once you acquire a taste for them... good luck not spending a lot of goddamn money.

bartolimu posted:

There's a one-time-only Alesmith beer event in Vegas this weekend to coincide with my buddy's book tour coming to town.

got my copy. was honestly expecting something a little more list-like, but the emphasis seems to be much more about educating the reader about flavors and textures than handing out some recipes with a beer pairing. in other words, it's more about the "why" than the "what." looks really good- my bookstore boss is a serious cookbook head and she was feeling it- although i haven't spent much time with the book since one of my brewer friends got so excited about it i let him borrow it.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

wattershed posted:

Also, Indra Kunindra is awesome and Midorka is wrong :colbert:

It seems I'm in the minority, but I've never had a more vile beer in my life. To each there own though. I finished a 2006 Victory Old Horizontal after and I think it's reached its limit, it's starting to go downhill I'd say and it was better last year at 5 years. Also Brooklyn Black Ops has aged wonderfully, I opened one last night while brewing and it's super balanced with coffee, dark chocolate and a very mild bourbon oak flavor through it. It's a lot more mellow and balanced than originally.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???
Hill Farmstead's Edward is right there with Alpine's Duet for the best APA/IPA in the land. Really one that helps set the bar for the style. Tremendous nose, nothing overwhelming or "big" about it in the mouth, but the balance and drinkability is top notch. Really trying to make it to the brewery tomorrow.

Whisker Biscuit
Dec 15, 2007

wattershed posted:

Hill Farmstead's Edward is right there with Alpine's Duet for the best APA/IPA in the land. Really one that helps set the bar for the style. Tremendous nose, nothing overwhelming or "big" about it in the mouth, but the balance and drinkability is top notch. Really trying to make it to the brewery tomorrow.

You spelled 'Two Hearted Ale' wrong :colbert:

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Whisker Biscuit posted:

Well done.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Midorka posted:

I finally got to experience, well I'm still experiencing, Bourbon County Stout. The nose is very heavy on the coconut with oak and bourbon being the next prominent aromas and vanilla hanging in the back, I'm not picking up any of the base beer really the aroma is all barrel. This is definitely a sipper though, this is a very thick beer. Dark chocolate and hints of raisins are throughout with the coconut being a strong flavor on the mid-taste, the finish is pretty much just bourbon and oak with a bit of coconut. This is a solid bourbon barrel aged beer, and I love how thick it is, but I won't go out of my way to get it next year, though I would like to eventually have a 4 year vertical so I guess it'd be nice to get a 4 pack every year.

I think KBS is the best BBA imperial stout I've ever had so far, with Parabola coming in second, BCS is up there, top 5 probably, but I don't think it's worth hunting down if you've had KBS or Parabola.

Had my first 2012 (BCBS) today. I think John Hall was right; I paired my BCBS with a cigar and the cigar didn't even come close to standing up to the beer. 2012 is very boozy right now (granted I drank it mostly slightly under proper temperature as it was about 50 degrees outside) but I think it's gonna be truly ridiculous in about 6 months.

Also, for homebrewers, I took a gravity reading. 1.045. With the 15% ABV listed on the bottle, that'll put it around an OG of 1.157. Let's get to work :)

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Whisker Biscuit posted:

As a huge Two Hearted Fan, wattershed made absolutely no error in his post. If it were regularly available to me, I'd drink so much Edward all the time. Instead, I'll just have to hold the one pint I had as just a fond memory.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

funkybottoms posted:

got my copy. was honestly expecting something a little more list-like, but the emphasis seems to be much more about educating the reader about flavors and textures than handing out some recipes with a beer pairing. in other words, it's more about the "why" than the "what." looks really good- my bookstore boss is a serious cookbook head and she was feeling it- although i haven't spent much time with the book since one of my brewer friends got so excited about it i let him borrow it.

I'm glad people are finding it exciting. It's definitely not your average cookbook, in part because Schuyler's not your average chef. I'll let him know you're enjoying when I see him tonight. Gonna get my copy signed and see if I can convince him to come out and take part in some Bad Ideas with me tonight.

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003

crazyfish posted:

Had my first 2012 (BCBS) today. I think John Hall was right; I paired my BCBS with a cigar and the cigar didn't even come close to standing up to the beer. 2012 is very boozy right now (granted I drank it mostly slightly under proper temperature as it was about 50 degrees outside) but I think it's gonna be truly ridiculous in about 6 months.

Also, for homebrewers, I took a gravity reading. 1.045. With the 15% ABV listed on the bottle, that'll put it around an OG of 1.157. Let's get to work :)

Can't wait to see how well it holds up, drank my lone bottle of '11 two or so weeks back (in celebration of sorts... of being able to buy 2 4pks this year, ha), and wow. Amazing. Last weekend I found two singles of '12 just hanging out in the bomber section of Whole Foods, so I figured why not. Drank em both, and I was surprised at how easy it was to drink fresh. Boozy for sure, but wow.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

crazyfish posted:

Did you completely de-carbonate the beer before taking the reading? Because that throws it off

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

RiggenBlaque posted:

Did you completely de-carbonate the beer before taking the reading? Because that throws it off

BCBS isn't very carbonated in the first place, so I suspect if carbonation threw off the reading it wouldn't be by more than a point or two. However, the difference between 1.045 and 1.047 really isn't that big - the difference in this case would be between an asston of grain and and asston of grain plus a few extra ounces.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

crazyfish posted:

I drank the BCS with my pipe and thought it went nicely actually. I had a blend of a cherry vanilla and a mild Virginia tobacco and enjoyed it more than usual.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Whisker Biscuit posted:

Nope. Sculpin's the correct answer here.

dumptruckzzz
Sep 13, 2010

air- posted:

Magic Hat #9

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

air- posted:

Love me some Two Hearted... but <1 week old Sculpin literally cannot be beaten.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

crazyfish posted:

The original gravity is actually targeted for 30 Plato, equivalent to 1.131 OG. The beer picks up some extra alcohol from the residual bourbon in the barrels, though, which means gravity readings aren't an effective way of measuring the ABV of BCS. We actually have to order several different sets of labels so that we can have a correct alcohol reading on the label, since the lab does final testing of ABV after the beer's been processed through the centrifuge and is ready to package.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Ubik posted:

The original gravity is actually targeted for 30 Plato, equivalent to 1.131 OG. The beer picks up some extra alcohol from the residual bourbon in the barrels, though, which means gravity readings aren't an effective way of measuring the ABV of BCS. We actually have to order several different sets of labels so that we can have a correct alcohol reading on the label, since the lab does final testing of ABV after the beer's been processed through the centrifuge and is ready to package.

Wow, I didn't think the bourbon in the barrels affected the ABV that much! I stand happily corrected.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Ubik posted:

Talked to John Hall at the King Henry release and he told us the biggest issue they had run into with the InBev buyout was extra scrutiny with what they list as ABV on BCS and other BA'd beers. They couldn't just slap 13% the label anymore.

Ubik, I've always wondered what the base beer is like. I'm assuming it's been released one way or another (a brewpub beer?). How does it compare to commercially available imperial stouts? Is it brewed purposely to highlight the booze?

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

danbanana posted:

Ubik, I've always wondered what the base beer is like. I'm assuming it's been released one way or another (a brewpub beer?). How does it compare to commercially available imperial stouts? Is it brewed purposely to highlight the booze?

I can't really talk too much about the recipe itself, but I don't think there's anything particularly fantastic or unusual about it compared to other imperial stout recipes. It's just brewed to be super-high gravity, which involves a lot of brewhouse acrobatics and a very long boil.

And if you want to ask more brewing-specific questions, feel free to pop over to this thread. :)

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

My DIPA ranking used to be #1. Hopslam and #2. Pliny.

I think that subsequent repeated exposure to Hop Venom from Boneyard (down the street from my place) has made me rethink this.

For some reason I've been on a Berliner weisse kick as of late. Actually I know the reason perfectly well -- 10 Barrel won a silver for theirs at GABF and so they busted it out at their bar earlier. I wish it was more common.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Finally spotted Oskar Blues in Ohio.

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

Founder's Harvest is the best wet hop beer I've had this season, and I've had Surly Wet, SN Harvest, Chasin' Freshies, and Hop Trip. I don't know how Founder's does it. I've heard of bottle shops in my area limiting to one or two 12 oz bottles, though, pretty ridiculous, it's not like this is KBS or something.

broom
Aug 29, 2005

global tetrahedron posted:

Founder's Harvest is the best wet hop beer I've had this season, and I've had Surly Wet, SN Harvest, Chasin' Freshies, and Hop Trip. I don't know how Founder's does it. I've heard of bottle shops in my area limiting to one or two 12 oz bottles, though, pretty ridiculous, it's not like this is KBS or something.

Picked up a four pack last night, it disappeared quickly, great beer. Very fresh tasting.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Had Old Viscosity for the first time last night. The label isn't kidding, that poo poo is like drinking motor oil. It's enjoyable, but plan on splitting the bomber a few ways or sipping it over like 3 hours on a cold winter night.

Edit: Also, Firestone's Velvet Merlin is back out. Such a good oatmeal stout.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Oct 21, 2012

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003

global tetrahedron posted:

I bought a 4-pk the other week, drank it over the course of a few days (it was tough to not drink it all at once), went back a few days after finishing the last one, and yeah... :-( Guess I'll have to wait until next year!

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Chicago people, West Lakeview Liquors has some sort of distribution thing with Jester King (one of the brewers used to work there). Right now they have their entire line. Drinking Commercial Suicide. Expectedly weak but very flavorful.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

That's fine news for Chicago. Some people player hate on Jk a lot but Commercial Suicide is a fantastic beer (so is Le Petit Prince along similar lines) and Mad Meg is a rad saison.

Also The Best Beer of Texas :clint: finally arrived to me in a trade:

I'd put it up there with all the other "big name" stouts of the world any day.

SUPER HASSLER fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Oct 22, 2012

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

SUPER HASSLER posted:

That's fine news for Chicago. Some people player hate on Jk a lot but Commercial Suicide is a fantastic beer (so is Le Petit Prince along similar lines) and Mad Meg is a rad saison.

I'll be cracking open all the Rodeo variants next weekend, very excited to compare Rodeo, Weasel Rodeo, and Whiskey Rodeo.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

SUPER HASSLER posted:

I take it back. Not all the JK stuff.

E: Man that bottle is awesome.

danbanana fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Oct 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Virginia folks (and those who share distributors with them, the Carolinas maybe?) I have good news for you. Alesmith beers will be coming your way in "the next few months." Congratulations, you're joining the big brotherhood of places that can get Alesmith that are farther away from San Diego than Nevada is.