Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

Zizzyx posted:

i want a good reason to use xpath. it's neat

I have used it a few times, all of them were to scrape websites that don't have APIs in order to write a skybot plugin for them. Skybot comes with lxml so using xpath with it is easy.

Also I didn't actually parcel out the xpath myself, I just used a chrome plugin to get the xpath for an element and made it a bit simpler. Because thats a way easier way to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

C++ best language: http://pubby8.wordpress.com/2012/10/15/stack-based-template-metaprogramming-in-c-11/

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Ronald Raiden posted:

I have used it a few times, all of them were to scrape websites that don't have APIs in order to write a skybot plugin for them. Skybot comes with lxml so using xpath with it is easy.

Also I didn't actually parcel out the xpath myself, I just used a chrome plugin to get the xpath for an element and made it a bit simpler. Because thats a way easier way to do it.

lxml owns. it even allows you to use regular expressions inside xpath queries :q:

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.

what the gently caress this poo poo is unreadable

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
c++ is so powerful you can now write forth in it

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
This is exactly why I hate programmers

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2841382&pagenumber=96&perpage=40#post408703801

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
holy poo poo CoC still exists

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

not sure you can consider any of that stuff that goes on in there as existing

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Spooky Mission posted:

not sure you can consider any of that stuff that goes on in there as existing

does avenging dentist still post lots about c++ and tell people they are wrong all the time

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Sweeper posted:

does avenging dentist still post lots about c++ and tell people they are wrong all the time

no :(

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

why read CoC then

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
tef likes to read it to get mad and spiral into a circle of depression

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Sweeper posted:

why read CoC then

every so often someone posts something fun in the screenshots thread. that's pretty much it.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
I wrote the big long thing about how megathreads would destroy CoC and no one listened and, welp, here we are.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

rotor posted:

I wrote the big long thing about how megathreads would destroy CoC and no one listened and, welp, here we are.

link

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

ugh this av again?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

lmbo, yeah, let me just pay for forum 'features' like archives access.

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

In an attempt to start the first CoC flamewar (and to save the sh/sc CoC announcement from further hijack), I'm posting this thread for discussion of why megathreads are either stupendously awesome or worse than a million Hitlers.

I tend to take the latter view, simply because they force me to wade through a ton of crap I'm not interested in reading in order to find information. The mac megathread, or worse, the games tf2 megathread, are great examples of this. The same question is asked and re-asked until someone gets annoyed enough to add it to the first post. If you do ask a question, the next day the thread may have 4 pages of content. Is an answer to your question in those 4 pages? You have to read them to find out. There's a lot of wheat/chaff separation to be done. I am a busy, handsome man and I have no time sort through all that jibber-jabber.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Spooky Mission posted:

In an attempt to start the first CoC flamewar (and to save the sh/sc CoC announcement from further hijack), I'm posting this thread for discussion of why megathreads are either stupendously awesome or worse than a million Hitlers.

I tend to take the latter view, simply because they force me to wade through a ton of crap I'm not interested in reading in order to find information. The mac megathread, or worse, the games tf2 megathread, are great examples of this. The same question is asked and re-asked until someone gets annoyed enough to add it to the first post. If you do ask a question, the next day the thread may have 4 pages of content. Is an answer to your question in those 4 pages? You have to read them to find out. There's a lot of wheat/chaff separation to be done. I am a busy, handsome man and I have no time sort through all that jibber-jabber.

lol nice essay james joyce

when did you find the time to write such a comprehensive tract

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Spooky Mission posted:

when was that post written

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
^^^
Megathreads are stupid because I don't know what the current topic is so I don't bother clicking. Hth.

What do you guys do when your brain is being a big gay baby? I have to make some lovely simple demo for an organization that can potentially land me a >$100,000 job and my brain decided it wants to do everything except work on that. I cleaned the place, visited relatives, took a hike, read this whole thread, etc...

Help!

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

rotor posted:

when was that post written

in the before times

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance
unlike you big whiny babies i like my job but that may be because for the last three weeks ive been flying solo and not having to deal with anybody else's stupid fuckups and that all comes to a screeching halt this monday :(

im also terrified for this project to end because i havent heard of any new work coming our way and the last thing i want is to be put on support detail for our primary product which si a big steaming pile of legacy crapola

if anyone is in the san diego area and your company can pay for relocation, there's two things you need to know: a) i'm brilliant and b) i'll suck your dick for the job and i'm not even kidding

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

finite automata are cool but java regexes are backtracking

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

^^^
Megathreads are stupid because I don't know what the current topic is so I don't bother clicking. Hth.

What do you guys do when your brain is being a big gay baby? I have to make some lovely simple demo for an organization that can potentially land me a >$100,000 job and my brain decided it wants to do everything except work on that. I cleaned the place, visited relatives, took a hike, read this whole thread, etc...

Help!
Where'd u c/p this from

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

mega threads are dumb because the erlang megathread died at some point!

All megathreads on minor topics die and you're left with major boring stuff (though it can be useful) that's the same as stack overflow.

This very topic is better than a lot of CoC put together.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Nomnom Cookie posted:

Where'd u c/p this from

I wish i c/p'd it :(

my brain is doesn't want to work on the simple lovely program that I want to be working on. like seriously, i need advice.

How do you do it?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

my brain is doesn't want to work on the simple lovely program that I want to be working on. like seriously, i need advice.

How do you do it?

if you can't do a simple thing to get the job, imagine how lovely it'll be if they give you the job.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

rotor posted:

if you can't do a simple thing to get the job, imagine how lovely it'll be if they give you the job.

to be fair, money is a pretty strong motivating factor for getting stuff done

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

it actually isn't

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

sulk send me some lots of money and i'll show you just how unmotivated i can be

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

MononcQc posted:

it actually isn't

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

gucci void main posted:

to be fair, money is a pretty strong motivating factor for getting stuff done

in fact there is a ton of science that disproves this assertion

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

How do you do it?

you're afraid of trying and failing and realizing you're not as good as you think you are so you just don't try in hopes you can protect your ego

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

How do you do it?
Ritalin and or modafinil

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Ull do the demo or maybe refinish ur deck either way ur better off taking the pills

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Apocadall posted:

you're afraid of trying and failing and realizing you're not as good as you think you are so you just don't try in hopes you can protect your ego
As cliche as this advice is you're probably right and I don't know it. I'll stick this post to my screen and see if my brain gets the idea.

thanks for the advice guys and sorry for the e/n post, gonna stop posting until the demo is done

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

As cliche as this advice is you're probably right and I don't know it. I'll stick this post to my screen and see if my brain gets the idea.

thanks for the advice guys and sorry for the e/n post, gonna stop posting until the demo is done

toxx

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance
Modafinil is pretty great but I can't do that stuff anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror