Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King Of Coons
May 5, 2006
Hey there fellas. Got to work today and the bar was a mess and barely stocked. Now, one or the other is fine, but both at the same time? gently caress you yesterdays closer (which is pretty much verbatim my text to him.) Managed to get fully seated in the span of 3 minutes and 2 minutes later slice my finger open when opening a Grey Goose bottle on the foil (wtf?) Rough start but after about 2 hours I was actually caught up.

well:
svedka
CC
Claymore (lol)
Gordons
E&J
Jack
Beam
Capn
Bacardi
Jaurez

KoC: fancy pants restaurant / hipster bar

Hey MisterOblivious where in MN are you?

Hey nrr! Hi. I miss you, sexy. Does the 195 have a new home somewhere? I'd ask this via pms but I ain't got em cuz I. can't. stop. getting. banned.

e: also the repeated "cant taste the likka" comments seem to be pretty goony and thinly veiled racism at best y'all.

King Of Coons fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Oct 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
The comments aren't racism and that you think they might be just means you're lucky enough to not have that crowd in your area.

Edit: Minnesota? Hipster bar? Yeah, you have no idea how deep the lovely crowd rabbit hole goes.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

How does someone leave it both a mess AND unstocked, is there no manager to spot check that poo poo?

King Of Coons
May 5, 2006
Yes a manager should be checking on that poo poo the next day but they don't. Look, I get it if you had a dangerous night and safety meetings were far too frequent, but if you're not going to come in the next day and fix your poo poo a text warning me I might want to come in early would be appreciated.

Maybe, maybe not. I'm not saying my rabbit hole is deep as hell but I get glimpses down there. I get my fair share of "this drink is weak" at the bar but at the restaurant it's only happened once. That was from a bunch of college kids that were clearly used to going to bars where the cocktails are poo poo liquor and heavy handed.

Now when I say it was clear it was because they frequent gay bars. Which seems like an insignificant detail to me. If I was to paraphrase them with lisps and poo poo that would seem pretty homophobic to me. But I'm not here to start a poo poo storm or whatever about privilege.

Most of my gripes are wine related. Oh Georg Riedel came to your country club for some event and taught you about how glasses make a difference? You'd like one of his glasses for the house red? Sure thing buddy bourdeaux or burgundy? You're bouvet is flat? OK, how's this? Much better? Same bottle.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
Found out today that I'll be working both Saturday and Sunday evening on the pre-halloween weekend at my new gig.

Pretty sure I'm going to be going as this:

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Our theme for the party is "Playboy Mansion 1967 Zombie" and I may have to get that shift covered out of self-respect.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

King Of Coons posted:

Now when I say it was clear it was because they frequent gay bars. Which seems like an insignificant detail to me. If I was to paraphrase them with lisps and poo poo that would seem pretty homophobic to me. But I'm not here to start a poo poo storm or whatever about privilege.

In my experience the two gay bars in Minneapolis I've been too (Saloon and the 90s) pour some strong poo poo.

King Of Coons
May 5, 2006
It's pretty much industry standard for every GLBT bar in the city save Jetset.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

Coohoolin posted:

I'm so happy I don't work in a "posh" bar anymore- having to apologize to dickheads over bullshit complaints was incredibly depressing. I know work in a working class pub in the Ned (Scottish version of a chav) area of Aberdeen, my regulars are insane or ex bikers and football casuals (better than any fascist bouncers), my boss is a 50 something foul mouthed "Torry quine" who's been chucked out of other pubs on the street and anything like what I've just read on this last page would be promptly met with a curt "dinnae be a fucken' oval office" or "git tae gently caress!". I derive personal pleasure from telling the dolled up anglophiles ("omg did you see TOWIE this week?") that "we don't do cocktails. You can have an irn bru WKD if you don't fancy beer."

Coohoolin, bartender/rear end man, local pub in N.E. of Scotland.

I've been a lot on shore in Aberdeen. Where do you work? There's a lot of classy joints in Aberdeen, such as the Crown & Anchor, The Neptune and Fitties.

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003
gently caress me sideways I just got home. The Giants and Niners were playing and we had a full house until that twelve year old pitcher SF has poo poo the bed. I also had a Hen Party and a group of soldiers home on leave celebrating a birthday party who found each other and couldn't get enough Jacob's Ladders. Then around ten I get a dozen employees in who had tailgated the football game and came back to the bar to drink hard and gamble their paychecks away in liar's dice. I even figured out how to break the little pissant waitress that's been giving me trouble. I stopped pulling her loving tickets. I just let em sit on the printer until another waitress rang in an order behind her and even then I made her orders last. She was all peaches and cream to me after that and I could tell by her tip report that she made poo poo tonight compared to the other waitresses. Don't gently caress with the bartender toots, I've been doing this longer than you've been tying your own shoes. Ended up walking with $250 on a week night. Why'd I ever stop doing this?

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Welcome home, bud.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

James Woods posted:

Why'd I ever stop doing this?

Because you value your sanity/liver/rosy outlook on life? (pick one)

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER
Had my first drink thrown at me by a patron last night. :toot:

((She was a former server who got fired over a year ago because she was an insufferable, insane piece of work and she specifically came in to my bar to do that because she's moving away on Sunday.))

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

That's probably the only time I've ever been completely thrown off my game on the job. Had a beer thrown in my face one night by some little poo poo that said I'd insulted his girlfriend (as it turns out I'd kicked her out for not having ID).

I honestly didn't know how to react to it when it happened. I just kind of stood there, bar busy as hell, blinking beer out of my eyes.

That kind of thing really sucks man, hope you handled it (and her) alright.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I had a fat girl who kept eating out of the fruit tray (like a literal trough) throw the fruit tray at my coworker one time because she told the fat girl to stop eating out of the fruit tray.

She was packing away olives and cherries without prejudice or shame, both hands working away at once.

The Slippery Nipple
Mar 27, 2010
Friday night we had a mid-thirties couple enjoying a not-so-sly hand job on a really visible couch (as in, straight in front of the bar and facing the whole room).

This is in a semi-fancy cocktail bar, so it was suitably confusing, disturbing and hilarious.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

You guys who get drinks thrown at you know that you have a gun on hand that sprays endless streams of liquid at high pressure with a simple finger jammed down the nozzle, right?

Man I miss working in a club :(

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

afen posted:

I've been a lot on shore in Aberdeen. Where do you work? There's a lot of classy joints in Aberdeen, such as the Crown & Anchor, The Neptune and Fitties.

A lovely slice of weirdness on Holburn street called the Malt Mill. Guess how many malts we have.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Perdido posted:

Had my first drink thrown at me by a patron last night. :toot:

((She was a former server who got fired over a year ago because she was an insufferable, insane piece of work and she specifically came in to my bar to do that because she's moving away on Sunday.))

Happened to me when we (me and my glaswegian then-manager) finally told a bunch of probably coked up girls they were too drunk to get served. Cue hysteria:
coked girl 1: "wha the gently caress dae ye think ye ar, fucken weegie bam! get tae gently caress!"
coked girl 2: "calm doon, we're gaan awa onyways"
coked girl 1: "I just da like being judged like, ken!"

At this point I can't help myself and smother a giggle which ends up being a snort, which sets girl 1 off again. "fit the gently caress are you laughing at!" and tosses her wine across the bar. Sloppily enough, however, that we stayed mostly dry and the glass smashed on the floor of the bar. I laughed them out of the pub.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

nrr posted:

You guys who get drinks thrown at you know that you have a gun on hand that sprays endless streams of liquid at high pressure with a simple finger jammed down the nozzle, right?

Man I miss working in a club :(

My bar station is an L-shaped bar and I didn't see her (had my back turned) when it happened.

I basically laughed my rear end off when I realized who it was and told confused patrons that she was an ex-girlfriend who's mad that I broke up with her because she's crazy.

Oddly, no one challenged my claims of her being crazy.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

If all she did was throw a drink on you she's not that crazy, you got off lucky.

REAL crazy women are loving scary.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Coohoolin posted:

Happened to me when we (me and my glaswegian then-manager) finally told a bunch of probably coked up girls they were too drunk to get served. Cue hysteria:
coked girl 1: "wha the gently caress dae ye think ye ar, fucken weegie bam! get tae gently caress!"
coked girl 2: "calm doon, we're gaan awa onyways"
coked girl 1: "I just da like being judged like, ken!"

At this point I can't help myself and smother a giggle which ends up being a snort, which sets girl 1 off again. "fit the gently caress are you laughing at!" and tosses her wine across the bar. Sloppily enough, however, that we stayed mostly dry and the glass smashed on the floor of the bar. I laughed them out of the pub.

Why do I find that accent on a woman oddly hot?

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

leica posted:

If all she did was throw a drink on you she's not that crazy, you got off lucky.

REAL crazy women are loving scary.

Holding a grudge for an argument that happened over a year ago isn't crazy to you?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

navyjack posted:

Why do I find that accent on a woman oddly hot?

Because you've only ever heard it on TV?

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Perdido posted:

Holding a grudge for an argument that happened over a year ago isn't crazy to you?

In the grand scheme of things, that's seriously like baby's first crazyperson

Tom Rakewell
Aug 24, 2004
Check out my progress!
If you've worked in the service industry more than a year and still have an accent fetish, you are a total glutton for punishment.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Tom Rakewell posted:

If you've worked in the service industry more than a year and still have an accent fetish, you are a total glutton for punishment.

At this point it's not even an accent anymore, but a full blown dialect (doric).

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Tom Rakewell posted:

I still have dreams about customers with hot accents so thick I can understand their orders, but nothing else they say. Those are pleasant dreams.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Perdido posted:

No, breaking a window with her bare hands, bleeding profusely trying to get to you in a locked apartment is though.

I would have taken a drink to the face all day long over that.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

leica posted:

No, breaking a window with her bare hands, bleeding profusely trying to get to you in a locked apartment is though.

Or in the same vein, coming in after being 86'd a month prior, sitting down, pale as hell on a really slow Sunday night, staring blankly straight ahead, meekly placing a purse on the bar, and upon being asked "Are you all right?" giving the reply with the weakest voice I have ever heard from a grown woman, "I don't know. I just took 8 Xanax and a few drinks."

Don't just throw the drink, throw the whole goddamn glass at me, if it means I'll never have to deal with attempted/toying with suicide sitting at my bar.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

leica posted:

:stare: Point taken.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So a discussion came up in a (local) forum I'm a member of, about drink prices. So I thought I'd ask the experts, what's a standard price for something like a rail cocktail in your bar? Or a beer (although no idea what kind of beer). For reference, $5-$6 for a "beer" is described as expensive, which all seems fine to me.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Manhattan: "Beer" is 7 or 8. Draft beers 8-10. Wine 12. Cocktail 12. This is at a normal kind of bar outside of drink specials and things like that. If you search you can find "shot of rail tequila and can of beer" things for six bucks.

I usually go to nicer places to drink fru fru cocktails when I go out now and I pretty much expect each drink I order to be 13 or so dollars.

raton fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Oct 24, 2012

Dirnok
Feb 10, 2005

FISHMANPET posted:

So a discussion came up in a (local) forum I'm a member of, about drink prices. So I thought I'd ask the experts, what's a standard price for something like a rail cocktail in your bar? Or a beer (although no idea what kind of beer). For reference, $5-$6 for a "beer" is described as expensive, which all seems fine to me.

Midwest college bar: $2.75 for rail, $2.25 for a Bud Light pint, between $3-4 for better beers.

Cigar bar nearby that I hang out at, beers are between $5-7 and I think their rail is $4.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

My new gig: Rail is 5 bucks (special cocktails are 4 bucks), tap beer is 5.50, cheap cans are 3.50, other bottles and cans run from 4 to 6 bucks. Wine varies from 6 to 9 bucks a glass.

My favorite bar in Vancouver is entirely beer centric and varies from 6-9 bucks a pint - but we're talking 40 dynamic taps of beer you will never see in 95% of bars anywhere else.

The Slippery Nipple
Mar 27, 2010
Any Sydney bartenders in the thread? Specifically working at cocktail bars? I'm trying to see how viable my idea is going from a nice cocktail place up on the central coast to a hotel or similar cocktail bar in Sydney next year, as it would really help to have my work and Uni in one spot, even if I live 90 mins train ride away.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Hangout bar:

$4 Wells & Domestics
$4.50 Imports/Micros
$5 Guinness/Bass/Cider
$5.50 Calls
$7 Premiums

Most shots are $4-$7 with most being 5 or 5.50

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot
Between $5.50 and $9 for a pint or snifter of crafty and/or Belgian strong/tripels/specials.
Standard domestic bottles at $4, up from that at $5.
Well/rail is $5. Call is $6/7 depending, and top is $8.

Fancy cocktail place nearby is 10-12, local beer specialty joint is between $6 and $10, and punk "dive" is $1 cans on Monday.

Downtown is a whole 'nother can of worms that I have honestly never ventured into. I should start seeing what else this city has to offer besides my usual haunts. Meh.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Where I spent most of my time in Houston:

Domestic beers: $3.50
Premium beers: $4.50

Wells: $5
Calls: $6
Premium: $7

We had a few liquors that were more, mostly scotches (and Patron), and Red Bull was a $1.50 upcharge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

We have 3.25 16oz draft, 3.75 domestic cans and well drinks.

• Locked thread