Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Canadians: How long would you guesstimate your last order from Freestyle took to ship using the slowest/cheapest shipping method.

There's obviously no tracking, and the page says something ridiculous about it taking up to like 45 days to arrive but I find that hard to believe. I could walk to Freestyle and pick up my poo poo and walk back in 45 days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Martytoof posted:

I could walk to Freestyle and pick up my poo poo and walk back in 45 days.

Sounds like the making of a great blog.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

HPL posted:

Sounds like the making of a great blog.

It would be a photo blog BUT THEY HAVE MY FILM :argh:

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Martytoof posted:

It would be a photo blog BUT THEY HAVE MY FILM :argh:

:smug:

Ordered friday night. God bless America.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

Martytoof posted:

Canadians: How long would you guesstimate your last order from Freestyle took to ship using the slowest/cheapest shipping method.

There's obviously no tracking, and the page says something ridiculous about it taking up to like 45 days to arrive but I find that hard to believe. I could walk to Freestyle and pick up my poo poo and walk back in 45 days.

The 45 days is probably extra cushion for customs. It probably won't take that long, but it could. Customs sucks.

Schofferhofer
Oct 7, 2010
Just get any old Gaff:

anyone interested in my bessa r3a and 40mm?

Don't want to do photos and everything for the buy /sell thread unless there's a chance of selling.

Schofferhofer fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Oct 18, 2012

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I'm looking to push some colour film to 1600 for some street photography. Any recommendations? Should I be looking at anything beyond Portra 400?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
About the only thing I would suggest is maybe Fuji 800z if you can find it, or 1600 Superia. But if you can afford it just stick with the Portra 400, I reckon.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Portra 800?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Martytoof posted:

Uuurrrr... It's been a long time since my order from Freestyle. 45 days is certainly way longer than it actually took.

3 weeks? Somewhere more than 2 weeks, but less than 4. Pretty sure.

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.
What's a good film for dark small concert locations?

A friend has asked me to take some pictures of his bands first gig, but only at a level of "oh please at least someone not using a mobile phone". Though this is way out of my comfort zone I want to give it a good shot.

I'll be using my M6 and 50/2 and can get up pretty close but I've no idea how badly lit the place will be (it will be very badly lit). I do have a flash but I've never actually used it.

I'm leaning towards ilford delta 3200 though it looks grainy as gently caress at least there will be pictures. Are there any good color films still available?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Tri-X pushed to 3200 or 6400.

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.

nielsm posted:

Tri-X pushed to 3200 or 6400.

Cool, the GIS results for pushed pictures with Tri-x are a hell of a lot less dead looking than the ilford stuff. Plus side, I have a ton of Tri-x already.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

Laser Cow posted:

Cool, the GIS results for pushed pictures with Tri-x are a hell of a lot less dead looking than the ilford stuff. Plus side, I have a ton of Tri-x already.

You have a ton of Tri-X on hand and you considered shooting Delta 3200? :frogout:
Push Tri-X (Arista premium) errday.

internetdrink
Mar 24, 2011

"May contain traces of nuts"
I want to use up my Rodinal, which high speed film would you guy reccomend? TriX? HP5+? Or something else?
e/ I want to use it at box speed, no pushing

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

And I just realized why all of my shots are so dark... I went to shoot something yesterday, and saw that I had the exposure set to pull 2 stops on 200 iso film. Whoops.

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.

8th-samurai posted:

You have a ton of Tri-X on hand and you considered shooting Delta 3200? :frogout:
Push Tri-X (Arista premium) errday.

I am a boring person who never tries anything outside his comfort zone. :(

Oh well, next step, developing my own B&W.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic :roboluv:

Schofferhofer posted:

Just get any old Gaff:

anyone interested in my bessa r3a and 40mm?

Don't want to do photos and everything for the buy /sell thread unless there's a chance of selling.

Ballpark?

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

internetdrink posted:

I want to use up my Rodinal, which high speed film would you guy reccomend? TriX? HP5+? Or something else?

Tri-x.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

dukeku posted:

Portra 800?

I read that 800 doesn't push as well as 400.

PushingKingston
Feb 25, 2005

What a BEARtiful face I have found in this place that is circling all round the sun.

internetdrink posted:

Tri-X that poo poo and then buy more Rodinal.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Fomapan 400 shoved to 3200 (I under-developed a touch, water was a bit cold):

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Spedman posted:

I'm kinda meh on the grain pattern in those. Ever shot any Fomapan in 120 I was thinking of picking some up for my high speed med format needs

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I have shots lots of concerts on film using both Tri-X and HP5 pushed to 3200. I would recommend HP5 over Tri-X because it has flatter contrast which is important for concert photography where you're dealing with extremes in contrast and trying to bring out as much shadow detail as possible. Also, HP5 has less prominent grain when pushed to 3200.

One of the big things when shooting a concert on film is that you have to be smart about exposure. Your meter will tell you one thing, but then you'll get home, develop the film and find that the meter exposed for the stage lights behind the performers and all you've got are dark photos of perfectly exposed stage light bulbs.

Also, if you're developing the film yourself, shoot a couple of shows for shits and giggles before you do one for real so you can figure out your optimal developing parameters and techniques. One size doesn't fit all when you're pushing film with high contrast subjects. You may find that developing for one stop faster than what you shot will work better because you're working more on bringing out the shadows than the highlights, but at the same time you don't want to blow out the highlights, so it's a thin line to straddle.

Finally, the biggest tip I can pass on to you is never shoot two consecutive frames with the same focus point. Re-focus for every photo in case you missed focus in the first place so you'll have a chance of getting one photo in focus instead of two out of focus, especially with drummer shots. You can use the microphone stands to focus on to get you in the neighbourhood but then you have to work on nailing focus or you'll end up with perfectly focused shots of the amplifiers.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Spedman posted:

What kind of bar was it, russian?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

8th-samurai posted:

I'm kinda meh on the grain pattern in those. Ever shot any Fomapan in 120 I was thinking of picking some up for my high speed med format needs

I haven't pushed it in 120 (I thought I had), but here is one at box speed:

And a shaky LF pushed to 1600, it's a terrible shot, but shows the lack of grain at 1600:

And the LF Foma 400 at box speed, why not:

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Santa is strapped posted:

What kind of bar was it, russian?
I just looked it up, it's called The Crimean, not far from my house and full of soviet Bulgarian propaganda, I should go in there sometime.

Schofferhofer
Oct 7, 2010

I'm guessing around the $800 AUD mark, plus shipping to wherever.

IDK I can't seem to find many points of reference for used ones so I'm just knocking about a third off the new price :)

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Spedman posted:

I just looked it up, it's called The Crimean, not far from my house and full of soviet Bulgarian propaganda, I should go in there sometime.

I knew it! I'm bulgarian, but I never see BG bars anywhere except BG. Go in the bar, get their attention, and at the top of your lungs yell "Da vi eba maikata!!".

Make sure you have your running shoes on.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Santa is strapped posted:

I knew it! I'm bulgarian, but I never see BG bars anywhere except BG. Go in the bar, get their attention, and at the top of your lungs yell "Da vi eba maikata!!".

Make sure you have your running shoes on.

The best google translate can give me, is to "do your mother"...

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Spedman posted:

Assume that's 'mat' and therefore something you should not say.

Slavic swearing: a) rarely translates well and b) is usually not a good thing to say to someone.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kodak-PORTR...=item43b1c9f565

:ughh:

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

There isn't a :smith: big enough.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

"SOLD"

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Just posted this to a few of my film-loving buddies on Facebook. A lot of crying faces...

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

ahahahhahah this is great

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

aliencowboy posted:

I read that 800 doesn't push as well as 400.
400 doesn't really need pushing unless you're underexposing more than 2 stops, and even at 3 you're not losing much.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Spedman posted:

Hahah, close - it's a very vulgar way of saying "I'll gently caress your mothers!"

Zenostein posted:

Assume that's 'mat' and therefore something you should not say.

Slavic swearing: a) rarely translates well and b) is usually not a good thing to say to someone.

A) and B) are both correct! You get a point.

:haw:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

hp5+ at 1600 loving rules. Nice looking grain, but still not so much that you can't tweak the noise slider in LR a bit to get a clean pic if you want.

hp5030.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

hp5019.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

hp5013.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

hp5021.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

hp5036.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Mr. Despair posted:

hp5+ at 1600 loving rules. Nice looking grain, but still not so much that you can't tweak the noise slider in LR a bit to get a clean pic if you want.

hp5021.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

That's the shot right there. Nice one.