Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009
Hell yeah, Clancy Brown. I hope we see him again. The casting and voice direction on this is fantastic along with a bunch of other stuff. Not surprised to Andrea Romano in the credits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I always love when we see the turtles actually being ninjas.

Is it me or is it really weird seeing something like facebook in Ninja Turtles? for some reason I just kind of assumed it was still taking place in the 80s.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Snak posted:

I really liked that even though he was the "goofy-and-ruins-everything" character, he took on chuck norris by himself at the end and won. It's nice to see him be a competent fighter in spite of being a goof ball.

Mikey always had more natural talent than the others, he'd be the most dangerous one if he wasn't such a goofball.

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO

Dr_Amazing posted:

I always love when we see the turtles actually being ninjas.

Is it me or is it really weird seeing something like facebook in Ninja Turtles? for some reason I just kind of assumed it was still taking place in the 80s.
Considering that the second episode featured a guy with a smartphone, it wasn't so weird for me to see Facebook pop up.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It's kind of weird to assume that a kids show being made today would take place in the 80s... As far as I know, just about every reboot of TMNT has taken place in whatever was currently the present, so why would this be any different?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I don't mean like I consciously decided that TMNT always takes place in the 80s. If anyone asked me I would have said it's present day. It's just something hae been through like 5 versions now without it ever coming up. So seeing them on the internet was kind of jarring.

Dr_Amazing fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Oct 17, 2012

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Dr_Amazing posted:

I don't mean like I consciously decided that TMNT always takes place in the 80s. If anyone asked me I would have said it's present day. It's just something hae been through like 5 versions now without it ever coming up. So seeing them on the internet was kind of jarring.

I'm not attacking you, and I understand what you mean. But I also just watched an episode in season two of the 2003 4kids TMNT where they used the internet for research.

I'm about one and a half seasons into the 2003 series now and there have only been a few actually stupid episodes. Overall, I'm blow away by how much there is. I know a lot of the elements are from previous incarnations, but a lot of ideas and the continuity associated with them were totally original as far as I know. As someone who didn't watch the original cartoon, I don't have any childhood nostalgia to "ruin" and I am loving both the 2003 and 2012 shows.

Robotnik DDS
Oct 31, 2004

Snak posted:

I'm not attacking you, and I understand what you mean. But I also just watched an episode in season two of the 2003 4kids TMNT where they used the internet for research.

I'm about one and a half seasons into the 2003 series now and there have only been a few actually stupid episodes. Overall, I'm blow away by how much there is. I know a lot of the elements are from previous incarnations, but a lot of ideas and the continuity associated with them were totally original as far as I know. As someone who didn't watch the original cartoon, I don't have any childhood nostalgia to "ruin" and I am loving both the 2003 and 2012 shows.

You might wanna dip out when they all go to the future and just skip to Turtles Forever

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Yeah, doesn't it end pretty cleanly before that?

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dr_Amazing posted:

The internet was actually used at least once in the original cartoon. Get with the times, gramps.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

ConanThe3rd posted:

Yeah, doesn't it end pretty cleanly before that?
If by cleanly you mean the Turtles transforming into Dragons and vanquishing The True Shredder, a ten-thousand-year-old Japanese Demon, then yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-nnqQ7hEuI

Man they were dead-set on making it almost as weird as the old Fred Wolf-supervised TMNT anime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwqKg76GJCo

You can kinda see why Flash Forward/Back to the Sewers basically ignored this.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I loved the Ninja Tribunal stuff. The Fast Forward and Back To The Sewers parts were garbage though. After Ninja Tribunal just skip to Turtles Forever.

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx
darn those turtles.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
That was a great episode. Really felt for Mikey.

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.

Azubah posted:

Mikey always had more natural talent than the others, he'd be the most dangerous one if he wasn't such a goofball.

As seen in the "Battle Nexus" arc during the 2003 series.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

smashpro1 posted:

As seen in the "Battle Nexus" arc during the 2003 series.

I loved how that became a running gag in the episodes to follow.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Something about Master Splinter looks off.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Anyone notice in this one Don gets his bo splintered, then he has it on his back again in the next scene. Take be right back to the old series.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Looked like Mikey did the string dance

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
This episode got a lot of laughs out of me. The ability to play a comedic show with an undercurrent of drama (not unlike Batman: Brave and the Bold) is a difficult line to walk and these guys seem to be nailing it.

I loved the Kool-Aid Man reference, when Stockman busts through the bricks going OH YEAH! That's how you do a pop-culture reference. It's written to be funny on its own, but if you know the gag you'll get an extra dose of laughs.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

kefkafloyd posted:

This episode got a lot of laughs out of me. The ability to play a comedic show with an undercurrent of drama (not unlike Batman: Brave and the Bold) is a difficult line to walk and these guys seem to be nailing it.

I loved the Kool-Aid Man reference, when Stockman busts through the bricks going OH YEAH! That's how you do a pop-culture reference. It's written to be funny on its own, but if you know the gag you'll get an extra dose of laughs.

They've got Splinter down perfectly. He's the highlight of every show for me.

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.

Dr_Amazing posted:

They've got Splinter down perfectly. He's the highlight of every show for me.

"The first rule of a ninja is 'Do no harm...unless you mean to. Then, do lots of harm'."

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

smashpro1 posted:

"The first rule of a ninja is 'Do no harm...unless you mean to. Then, do lots of harm'."
I gotta admit this line made me laugh straight up. Not even sure why. His delivery was great.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

smashpro1 posted:

Yeah the pause after do no harm I was thinking, what? And then I lost it. Splinter is the best part of this series.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I didn't think that it was possible for Baxter Stockman to be more of a dork than in the 80s cartoon.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Not going to lie, I'd join the 1st New York Church of Powered Battle Armour.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Snak posted:

It's kind of weird to assume that a kids show being made today would take place in the 80s... As far as I know, just about every reboot of TMNT has taken place in whatever was currently the present, so why would this be any different?

I don't think it'd be weird for a show to be set in an older time period just because it's aimed towards kids.
Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc. definitely feels like it takes place in the 60s, even though it features several recent elements such as the Internet. Oh, and all of Don Rosa's comics were set in the 50s.

Anyway, I really enjoy the show; great action, style, dialogue, jokes, etc.
I'm really glad CGI for TV has reached the point where it looks good enough to age well and look distinctive. I remember seeing trailers for Jimmy Neutron back when I was a kid, and I thought it looked amazing. Nevertheless, as much as I enjoy the cartoon-inspired fluidity and stylized appearance of shows like TMNT, I'd like to see a more realistic approach to a CGI TV-series. Not necessarily photo-realism, since that probably won't age well either, just something less "wacky".

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

horriblePencilist posted:

I don't think it'd be weird for a show to be set in an older time period just because it's aimed towards kids.
Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc. definitely feels like it takes place in the 60s, even though it features several recent elements such as the Internet. Oh, and all of Don Rosa's comics were set in the 50s.
Well, I agree that a series for children doesn't need to be set in the present, but even your example "features several recent elements such as the internet." which is the exact point I was responding to. Batman the animated series is a great example of an children's show set in a purposefully anachronistic time period. It's basically the 20s, but with computers. Somewhat unrelated, the FX series Archer, which is definitely not for kids, does a similar thing, using modern cell phones, but being set more or less in between the 60s and 80s.

quote:

Anyway, I really enjoy the show; great action, style, dialogue, jokes, etc.
I'm really glad CGI for TV has reached the point where it looks good enough to age well and look distinctive. I remember seeing trailers for Jimmy Neutron back when I was a kid, and I thought it looked amazing. Nevertheless, as much as I enjoy the cartoon-inspired fluidity and stylized appearance of shows like TMNT, I'd like to see a more realistic approach to a CGI TV-series. Not necessarily photo-realism, since that probably won't age well either, just something less "wacky".
This I totally agree with. The look of this series is fantastics and I think it will age well. A lot of early CGI, even big budget CGI looks completely terrible now. Google image search A Bug's Life if you don't believe me. I can't see that happening to this series though, they've completely nailed a distinctive visual style that hasn't really become common yet and I think it can only help the popularity of TMNT.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Snak posted:

Well, I agree that a series for children doesn't need to be set in the present, but even your example "features several recent elements such as the internet." which is the exact point I was responding to. Batman the animated series is a great example of an children's show set in a purposefully anachronistic time period. It's basically the 20s, but with computers. Somewhat unrelated, the FX series Archer, which is definitely not for kids, does a similar thing, using modern cell phones, but being set more or less in between the 60s and 80s.

I guess it's because writers rely too much on modern day technology to leave it out. I can't blame them, after all, the internet is a believable source of wisdom that can keep the plot moving. It also could be because they'd think children need the presence of everyday objects to identify the setting as one that's close to the present, otherwise it might as well be a fantasy novel.
Then again, I've grown up with Disney comics, so I expect cars in comics to look like this.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

I guess it's because writers rely too much on modern day technology to leave it out. I can't blame them, after all, the internet is a believable source of wisdom that can keep the plot moving. It also could be because they'd think children need the presence of everyday objects to identify the setting as one that's close to the present, otherwise it might as well be a fantasy novel.
Then again, I've grown up with Disney comics, so I expect cars in comics to look like this.

I think it's just also that the internet and smartphones are so pervasive now in day to day life, many children would be confused if they weren't in the show. I don't think smart phones, mp3 players, and the internet are things that are practical to just leave out of series targeted at today's youth. It's not that children need these objects to identify the setting as one that's close to the present, it's that if the setting is supposed to be close to the present, it needs these objects.

I do agree it may not be the present in all ways, because Raphael seems to have a pinball machine, something that most children today probably don't even recognize.

edit: I just think it's weird that you seem to think it would be natural to just leave modern day technology out of the series.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

The callbacks to the mousers in the last episode had me appreciating the amount of fun everyone on the TMNT production crew must be having.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I love the new show and I love the characterization too, especially for Mikey. Wants his older brothers to respect him, constantly trying to prove himself but so lovably lazy. They are all written well though and acted perfectly.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
There's also a store in one of the shots where Baxter's looking around called Futur-Toid Electronics. I caught it on my second watch. It's not Fugitoid, but sounds pretty similar. Maybe I'm reaching? There was also Mad Maxx Records in that segment, but I don't see anything besides the obvious there.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I really like that Baxter can apparently design and build someone functional battle armour but can't change the toner in a copier.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Dr_Amazing posted:

I really like that Baxter can apparently design and build someone functional battle armour but can't change the toner in a copier.

You mean you don't pour it in the top?

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
So now that Mikey has been introduced to the internet, what do you think will happen to him when he stumbles upon the rest of its corners?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

So now that Mikey has been introduced to the internet, what do you think will happen to him when he stumbles upon the rest of its corners?

"I followed that link because I like fruit and parties! Why would you do that to me internet! :gonk:"

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Hopefully he won't start using reddit/4chan memes incessantly like many adolescents do when they first discover the net.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
You know, I kinda want to see how a solar powered 7-foot staff would work.

Also, Metalhead gently caress yeah :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.
Aw man, my DVR cut off the end of the episode. Y'know, you'd think I would have learned while Korra was on that I should always manually record Nick shows.

• Locked thread