Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

blakout posted:

It's been a long time since I've been on android but I'm buying a razr tomorrow anyone got a link to a good starting batch of apps?

AdAway - Get rid of Ads (rooted).

AirDroid - Control your phone over WiFi from your browser.

Aldiko - Fantastic eBook reader.

Google Authenticator - 2-Factor authentication for your Google Account.

Awful Betamax - SA forum app.

Chrome for Android - Great browser though may struggle on older phones.

Google Drive - Cloud documents and images.

Google+ - Love this for the Instant Upload of pictures after you take them to a private album, never worry about losing your pictures.

ES File Explorer - nice looking and functioning file explorer.

HandCent - Decent SMS client replacement, though stock is pretty solid these days usually.

MXPlayer - Good Hardware decoding video player with a fantastic lock screen/buttons function.

Out of Milk - Goon made shopping list.

QuickPic - Fantastic gallery replacement.

SwiftKey - Best (competing with Swype) android keyboard.

Torch - use your LED flash as a flashlight.

Google Voice - visual voicemail replacement amongst other things.

Titanium Backup (root) - backup your apps for restoring later after you wipe your device or what not.

You can also probably find versions of your favorite social networks, IM clients, your bank, and if you're an MMO gamer authenticator apps for your game.

Also I hope you're buying a Droid Razr (Maxx) HD and not just a normal Droid Razr. Though I guess if you're getting it cheap it wouldn't be a bad deal maybe.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Oct 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
So I just picked up the Humble eBook Bundle, and this is the first time I've done anything with "eBooks" aside from PDF manuals of various poo poo. When I get around to reading them, I'll be doing so on my SGS3.

So what's the best way to read them?

From what I gather I either want the ePub or PDF formats, and that MOBI is more or less Kindle-specific these days. The other thing is that ePub allows for text reflow and font size changes, while PDF is static in layout (but perhaps better since it's not subject to questionable rendering algorithms?).

I already have Adobe Reader installed, which is good enough for reading most PDFs for my purposes. I also have ezPDF, but haven't used it much as I didn't really like it when it first came out, but perhaps I should revisit it.

I've never touched ePub or MOBI, don't know what's good for those.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Use Aldiko (see above) and ePub format and you should be all set. It's what I use on my SGS3 practically every night.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

DemonMage posted:

Use Aldiko (see above) and ePub format and you should be all set.
How does it compare to Google Play Books?

Or are are they mutually incompatible because the latter only supports books purchased from Google Play, which aren't otherwise downloadable. Is that right?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Never had to use it, but poking around in there just now I don't see a way to add your own books, so that kinda cuts it out. It didn't even exist when I started using Aldiko so I hadn't tried it before now. Usually I use the Kindle app if I'm buying something off Amazon, otherwise I just throw it in Aldiko. Play Books also seems to have less control over how your books are displayed incase you don't like the default display, whereas Aldiko has a fair amount of font/color/fontsize/fontspacing options.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

ExcessBLarg! posted:

How does it compare to Google Play Books?

Or are are they mutually incompatible because the latter only supports books purchased from Google Play, which aren't otherwise downloadable. Is that right?

Aldiko registers touch funny sometimes and the page turning animation is clunky but you can use your own epub files. It's overall interface is extremely dated as well.

Play Books is much smoother to use but its huge downside is it being locked to Play purchased books.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

The page turn animation can be turned off, though it feels really really weird to me if you do that. I also found Play Books to be drastically slower at loading then Aldiko, each new page even when the book is pinned for offline access had a noticeable delay for loading when it was new. Aldiko almost never has a noticeable delay. [Edit] Of course it could have just been that sample book that had something wonky with it, it's a programming book rather than a normal novel style.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Oct 20, 2012

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The Nook app will open sideloaded epubs as well. It's pretty decent all the way around.

Peppersmith
Oct 29, 2007
When I was looking for a Google Books-style syncing ebook reader, I found Fabrik:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=es.icereader&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImVzLmljZXJlYWRlciJd
Attractive, syncs book library with a folder in your Dropbox, syncs reading position between devices, handles the common formats. My only gripe is that sync frequency can't be modified as to sync in the background, like Google Books. I've read a few books on my cellphone and tablet- once the background sync is finished, the experience is seamless.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Looks like ezPDF supports ePub now too, so I have a few different things to try out. Thanks folks.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Fabrik is a pretty nice eBook reader that syncs your books and read position between devices with Dropbox.

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls
I would also recommend Fabrik. The syncing is great as I read on my tablet at home and on my phone at work. It has a fairly nice interface, nice page turning animations if you're into that sort of thing but it's all about the syncing for me. It's very useful.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Question about Google Authenticator: with the recent update that lets you use your login credentials to use it, does it work when changing ROMs now? I had to stop using it because I was wiping too frequently and it was such a hassle to turn off 2-step and reauth everything. It doesn't currently work for me (it acts like I don't have 2-step turned on) but I haven't turned 2-step off and on since before the update. If it does work now, then I'll go ahead and do it.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Is there any way to turn off emoticons in the stock messaging app?

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Question about Google Authenticator: with the recent update that lets you use your login credentials to use it, does it work when changing ROMs now? I had to stop using it because I was wiping too frequently and it was such a hassle to turn off 2-step and reauth everything. It doesn't currently work for me (it acts like I don't have 2-step turned on) but I haven't turned 2-step off and on since before the update. If it does work now, then I'll go ahead and do it.

You don't need to turn off 2-step when changing roms, just go to the 2 step page and get the printable list of codes to use.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Hey guys, any recommendations on a Japanese app? I'm visiting and I would like to learn basic phrases and kanji. I took a year of Japanese in college but I don't remember anything; I think having an app handy would help me remember. If anyone knows a good iOS app that works as well but I prefer Android. I know there are a number of language apps out there so I wanted to see if anyone had experience with them

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

FastestGunAlive posted:

Hey guys, any recommendations on a Japanese app? I'm visiting and I would like to learn basic phrases and kanji. I took a year of Japanese in college but I don't remember anything; I think having an app handy would help me remember. If anyone knows a good iOS app that works as well but I prefer Android. I know there are a number of language apps out there so I wanted to see if anyone had experience with them

uhh google translate?

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

FastestGunAlive posted:

I installed 50 languages to try and figure out a bit of Korean before I visit. It is pretty good and will speak correct pronunciations, I didn't buy it, the free version was fine for me.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH

FastestGunAlive posted:

Check out the flashcard program Ankidroid, they have downloadable decks with different languages.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
What's the thoughts on Fabrik as an eBook reader? Main feature that caught my eye is book and progress sync via Dropbox...
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=es.icereader

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Heners_UK posted:

What's the thoughts on Fabrik as an eBook reader?
As discussed earlier on this page (yeah ok, not everyone has the same posts-per-page setting) folks seems to enjoy it. I haven't had a chance to check it out yet though. Being busy sucks. :(

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Whizbang posted:

You don't need to turn off 2-step when changing roms, just go to the 2 step page and get the printable list of codes to use.

I'm not sure I follow? Those codes can only be used once... Can they be used to set up the authenticator app in a way I'm not aware of?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Heners_UK posted:

I'm not sure I follow? Those codes can only be used once... Can they be used to set up the authenticator app in a way I'm not aware of?

If you're not changing ROMs on a daily basis, 10 on-use codes should last you awhile.

Zen Punk
Dec 26, 2005

interfaced
What's a good way to share files on my droid X2 with my nexus 7? Is there any way of connecting them through wifi without a router?

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

Heners_UK posted:

You can also just generate a new per-app password and invalidate the old one.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

You can also back up and restore Authenticator with Titanium Backup and never have to worry about it again.

Penguissimo fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Oct 22, 2012

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Penguissimo posted:

You can also back up and restore Authenticator with Titanium Backup and never have to worry about it again

Unless it changed in a recent update, that doesn't work. It would still give me codes, but the codes wouldn't work.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Unless it changed in a recent update, that doesn't work. It would still give me codes, but the codes wouldn't work.

Huh, weird. I've been doing it since basically the day they started allowing 2-factor authentication and never had a problem, even across a few devices.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Penguissimo posted:

Huh, weird. I've been doing it since basically the day they started allowing 2-factor authentication and never had a problem, even across a few devices.

Maybe something in CM10 changed between versions when I was upgrading a while ago. I don't know when I'll do a full wipe again but I'll give it a shot then and hopefully it'll work.

Xarb
Nov 26, 2000

Not happy.
Thanks for all these links, will be checking them out.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH

Zen Punk posted:

What's a good way to share files on my droid X2 with my nexus 7? Is there any way of connecting them through wifi without a router?

Easy to do if you have Solid Explorer on both phones. You can generate an FTP server on your/phone tablet and connect to it on the other.

Dropbox might be faster, honestly.

Zen Punk
Dec 26, 2005

interfaced

az jan jananam posted:

Easy to do if you have Solid Explorer on both phones. You can generate an FTP server on your/phone tablet and connect to it on the other.

Dropbox might be faster, honestly.

But what if I'm not near a router? I don't have a data plan. I want to be able to pull files from the 32GB SD card in my X2 to my 8gb Nexus 7 if I'm, say, on the bus. How do I(can I?) do that?

Propaganda Panda
Dec 26, 2010
Any suggestions for a bit torrent client? I've scanned the thread but couldn't find any.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Well, if you're willing to invest fifteen bucks, you could hook a USB SD card reader to your Nexus 7 and transfer the files directly. (Edit: With the right cord, you might even be able to put the phone in USB drive mode and connect the two together? Might need a powered USB hub between them? Probably not good for busses, but fine for at home.)

Although I've never done it, there are apps to let you send files between android devices via bluetooth. That would probably be fairly fast.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Oct 22, 2012

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Propaganda Panda posted:

Any suggestions for a bit torrent client? I've scanned the thread but couldn't find any.

uTorrent works perfectly fine for me, which is what I've always used on PC as well. Just pay attention to your save path (like using external_sd when needed, etc).

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Zen Punk posted:

But what if I'm not near a router? I don't have a data plan. I want to be able to pull files from the 32GB SD card in my X2 to my 8gb Nexus 7 if I'm, say, on the bus. How do I(can I?) do that?

The pro version of Datasync can transfer anything, including apps and app data (this probably requires root), over Bluetooth.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Zen Punk posted:

Most of my apps seem to have a share/send menu option that lets you choose bluetooth.

Filemanager does it

So does OI File Manager

leonje
Apr 10, 2005

I roll with my kitties and I'm hard as fuck.

Propaganda Panda posted:

tTorrent is pretty good for me.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Vykk.Draygo posted:

When I had this problem, it turned out that for whatever reason I wasn't pulling time updates, so my phone was off by almost a minute. Naturally, Authenticator didn't do too well with this. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Why the gently caress would anyone run a torrent on their phone?

• Locked thread