Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Steve Yun posted:

Exciting news in the world of blenders!

Cooks Illustrated's previous favorite blender, the Kitchen-Aid has been dethroned! Apparently they found that it had a durability issue and the thing just up and died. They did a new test and put extra emphasis on durability. Their findings:

Vitamix is the best.

New Challenger, the Breville, is remarkably almost as awesome as the Vitamix for $200

Both of the above use Tritan carafes, which is much stronger than the polycarbonate in the Kitchen-Aid

Third place goes to the Ninja blender, which a few people here recommended. $100

Update: Breville has been going nuts this year introducing zillions of new kitchen appliances. For anyone still shopping for a blender, they just came out with the Hemisphere Mini, which is an ample 54oz (larger than the regular Hemisphere's 48 oz for some reason) for $130 at most places ($150 on Amazon for some reason). Downside is 600w instead of 750w but oh well

http://www.amazon.com/Breville-BBL420XL-Hemisphere-Blender-Mini/dp/B0089SSI54

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 21, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
hey so I bought this foodsaver. I'm nowhere near being done with the bags it came with, and I know you guys told me already what deep discount brand to get as a replacement but :

what cheap rear end yet sous-vide/freezer tolerant bags should I get for my foodsaver?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Ebay. People with reams and reams of the stuff.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

mindphlux posted:

hey so I bought this foodsaver. I'm nowhere near being done with the bags it came with, and I know you guys told me already what deep discount brand to get as a replacement but :

what cheap rear end yet sous-vide/freezer tolerant bags should I get for my foodsaver?

Buy a case of uline bags. 30bux for 1000 bags, absolute best deal as far as cost per bag.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Buy a case of uline bags. 30bux for 1000 bags, absolute best deal as far as cost per bag.

Are those food safe? They look like industrial shipping supplies. For reference we had an issue where bags we were buying at work were contaminated with machine oil from the machines that make them.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Chemmy posted:

Are those food safe? They look like industrial shipping supplies. For reference we had an issue where bags we were buying at work were contaminated with machine oil from the machines that make them.

3Mil bags Food safe. Says to use their vacuum sealer, but it should work with a food saver. It works with my cheap Rival sealer.

e: get the 5x7 bags, obviously.

e2: these can also work, but it depends on the heating element in your sealer.

Chef De Cuisinart fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Oct 21, 2012

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

3Mil bags Food safe. Says to use their vacuum sealer, but it should work with a food saver. It works with my cheap Rival sealer.

e: get the 5x7 bags, obviously.

e2: these can also work, but it depends on the heating element in your sealer.

Much thanks. For some reason I never thought about sourcing bags from other places. Now I just need to mod my sealer and put a "JUST SEAL, drat IT!" button on it.

bastardInABasket
May 22, 2001
Fun Shoe
Sorry if it's already been mentioned, but I'm looking for a candy/deep frying thermometer. Can anyone recommend one that can easily mount onto a 12" cast iron skillet? I was going to go with one of the typical long bar style ones off of amazon, but I can't tell if it would clamp nicely to a skillet.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

E30User posted:

Sorry if it's already been mentioned, but I'm looking for a candy/deep frying thermometer. Can anyone recommend one that can easily mount onto a 12" cast iron skillet? I was going to go with one of the typical long bar style ones off of amazon, but I can't tell if it would clamp nicely to a skillet.

every one I've used has been horrible / clipped itself off and fallen into oil at random moments when my back isn't turned. it's just my two cents, and maybe there's a better 'middle ground' solution, but really just get a thermopen and test the oil/sugar when you need to.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I've been pretty alright with the victorinox boning knife I bought, so this seems like a good deal for anyone needing a chef's knife.

http://slickdeals.net/f/5371524-Victorinox-10-Inch-Chef-s-Knife-Black-Fibrox-Handle-23-78-free-shipping-with-Prime

might get a couple for cheap christmas presents or something.

Indentured Servant
Aug 31, 2008

E30User posted:

If I had to buy one again, I'd go for one of the digital probey ones. I usually have to clip my analog one at some awkward angle or take it out of the oil to read the temperature.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
Can someone recommend a good-quality waffle iron? Mine shorted out last week. It was a heavy old behemoth that my mom gave me, and I'm gonna miss it.

identity49
Nov 29, 2007
If it's old I bet it's fixable. Might just be a worn out wire that can be soldered. Maybe not, but it's worth a look.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

mindphlux posted:

I've been pretty alright with the victorinox boning knife I bought, so this seems like a good deal for anyone needing a chef's knife.

http://slickdeals.net/f/5371524-Victorinox-10-Inch-Chef-s-Knife-Black-Fibrox-Handle-23-78-free-shipping-with-Prime

might get a couple for cheap christmas presents or something.

I already have the 8" and it's great. Do I really need a 10" one as well? I don't find the 8" to be lacking when chopping onions/squash.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Doh004 posted:

I already have the 8" and it's great. Do I really need a 10" one as well? I don't find the 8" to be lacking when chopping onions/squash.

naw. I have a 7.5in santoku and I use it for 87% of everything I do. My girl had a 10in ShittyHencklesFromAKnifeBlockSet chef knife, and I almost never use it except for carving larger cuts of meat. I personally find it unwieldy and not as fast for cutting onions and stuff.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

identity49 posted:

If it's old I bet it's fixable. Might just be a worn out wire that can be soldered. Maybe not, but it's worth a look.

I'm going to have my uncle take a look at it, he said he might be able to fix it. It's really old and heavy. It shorted out as I was using last week with a pretty audible buzzing sound, then the light flickered on and off and it went dead :(

EDIT: It died mid-waffle! So disappointing.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
i recently got this one. Does a great job.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

razz posted:

EDIT: It died mid-waffle! So disappointing.

:ohdear: The cruelest cut of all!

The older the electronics the more likely it is that your uncle can fix it back up into good working order. Most of these devices are super simple under the hood so that works in your favor.

Redneckery Option: Hit that grill with a propane blowtorch till it gets some smoke going then make your waffles! Hell with electric heat, use that residual for authentic dumbass cooking!

Hahah, I really want to try this now. "Just a sec, gotta heat up the iron." <click click PSHEEWWWWWWW>

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."
So my grocery store has 6 qt. Lodge enamel dutch ovens marked down to $35. Is that a price I should jump on? And is 6 qts. going to be enough for your run of the mill cooking applications?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Go for it, it's 35 bucks, son.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

Skrill.exe posted:

So my grocery store has 6 qt. Lodge enamel dutch ovens marked down to $35. Is that a price I should jump on? And is 6 qts. going to be enough for your run of the mill cooking applications?

please tell me the name of your grocery store

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
In California, Ralphs has them for $40 (Kroger in other states)

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

Yeah this is a King Soopers which I think is under the Kroger name. That had seasoned cast iron ones that were 7 qts. for the same price. So the enamel on Lodges holds up? I just want to make sure they're not cheapos.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Generally they're good but you can find several reviews on Amazon where people are complaining about chipped/flaking enamel.

They are cheapos, so if you want something that's going to last longer with more confidence, you can shop around at Home Goods or TJ Maxx, once in a while they'll get a Le Creuset os Staub for $100-130 (make sure you inspect it first for chips, they treat their inventory rough sometimes)

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Oct 26, 2012

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Generally they're good but you can find several reviews on Amazon where people are complaining about chipped/flaking enamel.

They are cheapos, so if you want something that's going to last longer with more confidence, you can shop around at Home Goods or TJ Maxx, once in a while they'll get a Le Creuset os Staub for $100-130 (make sure you inspect it first for chips, they treat their inventory rough sometimes)

I actually live near a Le Creuset outlet so I can get them for about the same price there, though I guess there's no guarantee a Le Creuset will never chip either.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Is there a reason to get enamel over cast iron?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Never having to worry about rust or cooking acidic foods.

Not a huge deal as regular cast iron can resist rust if properly maintained and can handle acidic foods on occasion, but if you have a little money to spare it's a nice feature.

Come to think of it, why doesn't someone just make a dutch oven that's a cast iron pot coated in steel? You get the thermal mass with no more worry about flaking, chipping...

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Oct 27, 2012

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

Also, the Lodge enamel ovens are made in China, if that makes a difference to you. The non-enamel ones are made in the USA.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

My dutch oven is actually cast aluminum.

http://www.amazon.com/All-Clad-Aluminum-2-Quart-Dutch-Mitts/dp/B001C1AL64

Found it on closeout for $30 shipped awhile back. It's typically just the GF and myself, so the size works out fine.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Steve Yun posted:

Never having to worry about rust or cooking acidic foods.

Not a huge deal as regular cast iron can resist rust if properly maintained and can handle acidic foods on occasion, but if you have a little money to spare it's a nice feature.

Come to think of it, why doesn't someone just make a dutch oven that's a cast iron pot coated in steel? You get the thermal mass with no more worry about flaking, chipping...

Thermal expansion rate of each material is so different that it probably wouldn't work well.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

So cast iron is awesome, but what do you think of cold forged pans?

It seems like the grooves would be a bad idea but they are commonly sold around here. Anybody have any experience with them?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I have a plate steel pan, which is the same thing, just without the grooves.

It's a nice pan, on a gas burner you can adjust heat instantly. It's like a wok in the shape of a western frying pan.

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

We discussed something like that (De Buyer carbon steel pans) a few pages ago - Chef de Cuisinart endorsed them, or carbon steel pans in general.

I don't have a carbon steel skillet, but I do have a small carbon De Buyer crepe pan. It seems pretty nice, like a cross between tri-ply stainless and cast iron. Much lighter than cast iron, higher maintenance than tri-ply. Mine was mostly non-stick from the beginning, too, which is a huge bonus.

Those grooves look like an absolutely terrible idea.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Grooves are bad. Go to a restaurant supply store that also sells to the public and get a good carbon steel pan for 30-50bux. Or buy DeBuyer for $60-90

MOAR
Mar 6, 2012

Death! Put your jacket on or you'll get frostbite!
This is a great pan.

http://www.amazon.com/DeBuyer-Mineral-Element-Frypan-Round/dp/B00462QP0W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1351609391&sr=8-1&keywords=DeBuyer

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

I've been coveting one of the Mineral pans for a while - Northwest Cutlery has them for slightly less:
http://www.nwcutlery.com/Cookware-Fry_Pans_Skillets.html

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
alright, I know I asked about this a while back and there was a decent discussion but I'm actually engaged now, so time to think about it again.

I've always thought if there was one cooking thing I'd love to have but never probably buy myself, it would be a set of awesome copper cookware. always joked with my girl that if we got married, it would be item number one on our registry.

I asked for recommendations, and the consensus from you guys (and cooks illustrated, and just about everyone) is that it really isn't worth the expense or weight, and is annoying to have a reactive surface, and hard to keep clean - and I guess I don't have any counter argument to all that.

but so I'm torn as to what nice rear end cookware I could make our poor, poor parents purchase on our behalf. The all-clad copper core stuff looks really nice, but they're quite expensive... or should I just give up on my dreams of copper and get aluminum/stainless?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
According to the people who owned them, they said they didn't see much difference between All Clad's aluminum core and copper core stuff.

What do you have already? Are you looking for something novel?

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

mindphlux posted:

but so I'm torn as to what nice rear end cookware I could make our poor, poor parents purchase on our behalf. The all-clad copper core stuff looks really nice, but they're quite expensive... or should I just give up on my dreams of copper and get aluminum/stainless?

The Mauviel stuff that I've seen is incredibly beautiful, but again I don't know if it works any better than regular old steel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Tri-ply stainless steel fo lyfe. Get a 7in, 13in sauté, a rondeux, and a 3-4in walled roasting pan. A 4qt, 8qt, and 16-24qt stock pots.

I can't think of anything I couldn't cook with just that stuff.

• Locked thread