Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Is that a Lancia Stratos Hibito's driving in the new intro?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
This show is so filled with joy and happiness. I tear up watching how much the brothers (and family, I guess) care about each other.

Malrick
Sep 29, 2006

Excelsior!
Did you guys see that the Akihiko Hoshide who is on the ISS right now recorded at part for Space Brothers. Astronaut Successfully Dubs Space Brothers Anime From Space

Also I am amazed how they do such seamless fillers on this show that really adds to the story. That episode was just one issue in the managa.

LockHeart
Apr 8, 2005

I'll make Coach Haribo proud!

The Black Stones posted:

Oh jeeze some of the stuff in this episode had me laughing.

Put some pants on, buddy!

and I definitely need an avatar sized gif of the astronaut doing the little dance in, and then back out again. loving killed me

That dance. Man, it killed me. Hands all in pockets.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Put this down as one of the "101 Best Uses of an Outdated DVD-R":

Also, the Mutta's father's shirts are always the best.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

LockHeart posted:

That dance. Man, it killed me. Hands all in pockets.

Every American bbq is a hoedown!

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

PaganGoatPants posted:

Every American bbq is a hoedown!

And guitars sound like banjos!

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

One really has to wonder how difficult it would be to employ a single native English speaker to check the English. It would be such a small job that a single person could probably quality check 50 different shows.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Shakugan posted:

One really has to wonder how difficult it would be to employ a single native English speaker to check the English. It would be such a small job that a single person could probably quality check 50 different shows.
Difficult, if you mean before the animation is already done. S/he'd have to report to 50 bosses, at different companies - Japanese companies, and get paid virtually nothing because budgets for anime production tend to be...efficient. That's like saying a single Japanese speaker could check all American cartoons (or comic imprints I guess) for asian faux-pas, or at least a good portion of them.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Difficult, if you mean before the animation is already done. S/he'd have to report to 50 bosses, at different companies - Japanese companies, and get paid virtually nothing because budgets for anime production tend to be...efficient. That's like saying a single Japanese speaker could check all American cartoons (or comic imprints I guess) for asian faux-pas, or at least a good portion of them.

The animators are aware of the fact that they are using English. All they would have to do is send scenes where English text is visible. I think you vastly overestimate the difficulty of doing something like this, and 'reporting' each week would likely be nothing more than an email.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Hahaha, the captain's name is Freddie Saturn, is that the first time this comes up in the anime? I didn't notice it before.

Shakugan posted:

The logistics of paying him would be weird, because by working for a large number of shows to check only a few sentences on each, he would have to be paid by the mimuie.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

What kind of people become animators, anyway? How can you be so goddamn ignorant of the outside world that the sequence "HOUR MI***E SECOND" is too difficult to guess?

Also, how expensive would it be to keep an English dictionary in the office? Or even just a goddamn bookmark to M-W.com or something. Jesus. SAO had a similar issue with its ALART yesterday.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I thought it was adorable that no member of Hibito's family (save for Hibito himself) was able to sleep on the night before the launch.

Also, I can't wait for next week to see who the "suspicious old man" is. In the live-action it was Buzz Aldrin, played by Buzz Aldrin himself, I really want to see if they managed to get him to act the part for the anime too.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Shakugan posted:

The animators are aware of the fact that they are using English. All they would have to do is send scenes where English text is visible. I think you vastly overestimate the difficulty of doing something like this, and 'reporting' each week would likely be nothing more than an email.

I think I know how difficult it would be, and you vastly underestimate the difficulty of doing something like this. The act of checking itself is as scalable as you presume, but that's not what would be difficult. The process would have a lot of needless overhead from human and administrative factors.

But since this risks derailing the thread, let's go back to episode discussion.

That little brother is such a prick. I hate him so much. And what an awful father. >_<

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

That little brother is such a prick. I hate him so much. And what an awful father. >_<

What's wrong with the father?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Well he sort of did neglect to pay attention to his kids.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
Yeah, pretty much. He doesn't seem like he listens to the older son, and he lets the clearly impressionable bratty little brother get away with acting like a prick. He's so in his own world he doesn't seem capable of providing the attention to and responsibility for two sons that they deserve.

I suppose it just struck a chord and resonated with me (not because of my own parents, but because I know the type and they're difficult). I'm a little bit surprised at how much I like this show despite the slow pace.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
The kid and father were annoying and all that but honestly what annoyed me so much is why doesn't he just bump up the ISO a bit so he can drop the exposure time down and get nice sharp images despite his shakey emotional mess. Or better yet buy some fast glass.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Shanakin posted:

The kid and father were annoying and all that but honestly what annoyed me so much is why doesn't he just bump up the ISO a bit so he can drop the exposure time down and get nice sharp images despite his shakey emotional mess. Or better yet buy some fast glass.

Also remember that this is several years into the future, and one would presume to find consumer cameras that can take pictures in daylight at better than 1/100s. But hey, it's just a funny joke about crying men, so who cares.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

darkgray posted:

Also remember that this is several years into the future, and one would presume to find consumer cameras that can take pictures in daylight at better than 1/100s. But hey, it's just a funny joke about crying men, so who cares.

Oh I agree but as long as we're discussing things that were annoying, that was what frustrated me the most. Hell I think most cameras presently can do faster than 1/100 in overcast weather without much trouble - a decade into the future it should be no problem at all. I probably just need to go back and lurk in the dorkroom again.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Apo's gonna die from the liftoff, just you watch.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Apo is going to be the first dog on the moon.

Morgenthau
Aug 28, 2007
Circumstances have gone beyond my control.

Mikl posted:

I thought it was adorable that no member of Hibito's family (save for Hibito himself) was able to sleep on the night before the launch.

Also, I can't wait for next week to see who the "suspicious old man" is. In the live-action it was Buzz Aldrin, played by Buzz Aldrin himself, I really want to see if they managed to get him to act the part for the anime too.

That's awesome, I knew Buzz was in the movie somewhere but having play that role is pretty cool.

Does anyone follow the manga here? just wondering, since the discussion's been mostly about the anime. The releases are also timed together with the new episodes so the storyline stays fresh. Haha, Freddy's brother is Johnny Rotten (Saturn?)

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

MARES V

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

What a nice day for a gassing

See, this confused me because http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ares_V and I don't know if it's an intentional reference or hilarious coincidence.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I remember the very first time I shot an Estes rocket. I thought it would go up like a Saturn V. Instead, it shot out like a bullet from a gun (I'd never played with bottle rockets before that either). Imagine our astronauts if they were shot into space like my Estes went? They'd be jelly filling.

I'm a bit surprised Mutta and Hibito never played with Estes rockets. Are they illegal in Japan? I built one from scratch once using a paper towel tube. It pretty much flew exactly as Mutta's mother imagined. It had one of these for an engine.

I learned something about rocket design that day. Let the professionals do it.

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Not sure how, but it could be.

Dan7el posted:

Imagine our astronauts if they were shot into space like my Estes went? They'd be jelly filling.

Even at 1/10th scale, the acceleration is a bit crazy.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.

Anta posted:

See, this confused me because http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ares_V and I don't know if it's an intentional reference or hilarious coincidence.

I'm just going to pretend this is the actual reason for it being spelled MARES as the alternative is that in a show about space they completely failed to spell the word Mars properly.

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

What a nice day for a gassing

Amstrad posted:

I'm just going to pretend this is the actual reason for it being spelled MARES as the alternative is that in a show about space they completely failed to spell the word Mars properly.

Looking at it more it seems like it has to be this. They just combined Mars V (for Saturn V) and Ares V. The rocket and spacecraft in the show are almost a direct copy of the Ares rockets and Constellation program.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

Weren't some of them spelled MARS I and MARS V though...?

I still love the show in any case.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

That complete lack of music in the climax was just so great.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

pandaK posted:

That complete lack of music in the climax was just so great.

Little does Mutta know, this is also his BDSM sanctuary.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I started marathoning this show last night. Holy crap it's so good. I just finished episode 26 and it's moved me to tears at least 3 times.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

This show is incredible, emotional, and inspiring. But it's absolute torture to wait a week between episodes considering it's pace. I almost wish I could have remained blissfully ignorant of the show until it had finished airing so I could watch it in a gigantic marathon.

Valsu
Jan 2, 2006

Just got around to watching episode 30. This show is so amazing. I can't wait for the US bluray/DVD release.

bobomb
Jul 22, 2005

Undisputed
Moe Master
I started marathoning this show yesterday, currently up to episode 20. I have to say, this is probably one of the best feelgood shows of the year. It's such a heartwarming, emotional rollercoaster at times, and despite the ups and downs it still manages to be a little silly and serious at the same time.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

This last episode ended way to fast. I have to admit, it was PERFECT.

I think it would've been better if Hibito did suffer space sickness. He's just too perfect. I get sick *watching* people play first person shooters. I would make a horrible astronaut.

When I was in the USAF and flew as a flight test engineer, I would often get on planes as the pilots practiced their landings -- called "touch and go" -- anyway. I'd pop the Dramamine and sleep while they landed, and took off, circled, landed and took off, circled.... It was awful, but I got my hazardous duty pay because of it.

I'd probably sleep the entire way to the moon. "Wake me up when we get there!"

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Flashbacks were so :3:

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I only have one thing to say about this week's episode: Yay!

Otherwise, not much happened. Can we get through the whole astronaut selection process already?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Dan7el posted:

This last episode ended way to fast. I have to admit, it was PERFECT.

I think it would've been better if Hibito did suffer space sickness. He's just too perfect. I get sick *watching* people play first person shooters. I would make a horrible astronaut.

When I was in the USAF and flew as a flight test engineer, I would often get on planes as the pilots practiced their landings -- called "touch and go" -- anyway. I'd pop the Dramamine and sleep while they landed, and took off, circled, landed and took off, circled.... It was awful, but I got my hazardous duty pay because of it.

I'd probably sleep the entire way to the moon. "Wake me up when we get there!"

Out of curiosity what was your job supposed to be if on the plane you were asleep? You went on the plane as an engineer right in case things went wrong but what happens if things go wrong if your asleep? :ohdear:

• Locked thread