Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small
At the dentist today, reading the National Geographic July 2011 edition, small article titled "COUNTING ON UNCOMMON CHICKENS." People eat more eggs and poultry than ever, but the world's reliance on a few high-yielding breeds is edging out hundreds of others. Nearly a third of chicken breeds are at risk of extinction. That's ALARMING because many varieties have traits, like heat or pathogen resistance, that could be invaluable in the future. Pictures included with this article are: Gold Sebright, Light Sussex, Blue Partridge Brahma, Orpington, Derbyshire Redcap, Silver Gray Dorking, Pekin Bantam, Hamburgh Bantam, Black Silkie, Speckled Sussex, Phoenix

Also in this edition of National Geographic is an article on the FOOD ARK it's the respository for crop seeds in case of extinction. I'm glad I came upon this volume of Nat Geo, interesting edition.

Comb on the Derbyshire Redcap rooster is amazing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Inveigle posted:

Is the Cornish chicken breed the same as what is often referred to as a "Cornish Game" hen that is popular to cook whole?

And I love the shots of the crested Polish chickens. Their head poufs are so wonderful. :)

The little birds at the supermarket are Rock Cornish Game, a commercial hybrid of Plymouth Rock and Cornish Game. They're the same hybrid as the big birds we always eat, they're just slaughtered earlier, at about 4 weeks versus 7-8.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

It IS very alarming how many poultry breeds are endangered these days, lots of them are heritage breeds here in the US that were fairly common 100 years ago.

My computer is being a butthead right now so I can't link to it, but the American Livestock Breeds Conservancy lists breeds of not only poultry but cattle, sheep and other livestock that are in danger of disappearing forever.

The number of breeds is shocking, and include breeds that you'd never suspect had a problem, like Barred Plymouth Rocks & Brahmas...although Roostroyer is doing his best to increase his breed.

VVVV Thanks! Yeah, here's the Poultry Conservation Priority list:

http://albc-usa.org/documents/CPL_Poultry_2012_lowres.pdf

The criteria definitions:

Critical: Fewer than 500 breeding birds in the United States, with five or fewer primary breeding flocks (50 birds or more), and
estimated global population less than 1,000.

Threatened: Fewer than 1,000 breeding birds in the United States, with seven or fewer primary breeding flocks, and estimated
global population less than 5,000.

Watch: Fewer than 5,000 breeding birds in the United States, with ten or fewer primary breeding flocks, and estimated global
population less than 10,000. Also included are breeds that present genetic or numerical concerns or have a limited geographic
distribution.

Recovering: Breeds that were once listed in another category and have exceeded Watch category numbers but are still in
need of monitoring.

Study: Breeds that are of genetic interest but either lack definition or lack genetic or historical documentation.

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Oct 18, 2012

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
http://albc-usa.org/cpl/wtchlist.html

Here you go.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Velvet Sparrow, those numbers seem awfully low! Considering I read that 50 BILLION chickens are reared every year for meat and eggs! B as in Billion, I was stunned! Thank you for the link, I printed out the list. If I am able to start up a small flock I'll see if I can find any on this list. I see where some from the 2011 list have "moved up" to the next category, which is good. Those numbers sure seem low! La Fleche are interesting with their 'devil horn' type comb!

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

piscesbobbie posted:

Thank you for the link, I printed out the list. If I am able to start up a small flock I'll see if I can find any on this list. I see where some from the 2011 list have "moved up" to the next category, which is good. Those numbers sure seem low! La Fleche are interesting with their 'devil horn' type comb!

I had to look up "La Fleche" to see what those chickens looked like. Wow! The devil's horns comb is fantastic! :)

Image from the backyardchickens.com forum.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

And speaking of unusual, endangered chicken breeds, check out these Buttercup chickens (aka Sicilian Buttercup). Even the hens are pretty!

Image from chickensbydesign.co.nz.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

If I wasn't so allergic to bird dander I would have all the endangered heirloom breeds :(

My sister wants to keep chickens in a couple of years when she and her new husband buy a house, maybe I can convince her to look for birds on the list...

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Inveigle posted:

And speaking of unusual, endangered chicken breeds, check out these Buttercup chickens (aka Sicilian Buttercup). Even the hens are pretty!

Image from chickensbydesign.co.nz.

Very pretty hens! Polygamy is the norm in chicken world. What they call a breeding pair is actually a rooster and two hens! Perhaps the 'pair' refers to the two hens.

Thanks for posting the images Inveigle! I wonder how many kids have named their La Fleche Satan or some silly name like that!

Tim Jong-un
Aug 22, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I dont see how modern games are on the critical list, every show here in the south usually has 1 or 2 hundred of them. They're a favorite down here.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Tim the Enchanter posted:

I dont see how modern games are on the critical list, every show here in the south usually has 1 or 2 hundred of them. They're a favorite down here.

You are right Tim. I went to the Poultry Fancy Show last week here and probably 20 percent of the birds were the Bantam Modern Game.

EDIT: I think at this show there were about 60 of those Bantam Modern Game birds!

piscesbobbie fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Oct 18, 2012

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
I think they're talking about large fowl Modern Game (that's the description it links to). Maybe those are less common?

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Sicilian Buttercups are awesome little birds, a friend of mine has one who lives as a housechicken, named Dixie:

Over the years Dixie's fancy headgear has gotten more and more elaborate.

A few years back Dixie suddenly decided that she was a crowing hen. With spurs.

My friend sent the picture in to Jones soda and Dixie made the root beer label.

But she's still a cuddler, despite her fame. :)

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Sicilian Buttercups are awesome little birds, a friend of mine has one who lives as a housechicken, named Dixie:

A few years back Dixie suddenly decided that she was a crowing hen. With spurs.

My friend sent the picture in to Jones soda and Dixie made the root beer label.

But she's still a cuddler, despite her fame. :)

That is way too cute. But I thought house chickens needed to wear diapers. Is this not the case, or did she take them off for the camera and put them back on after?

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Dixie has always been pretty good about pooping in certain areas where it is easy to clean up, and her normal area she hangs in I think has hardwood or tile floors...so most of the time they can forgo diapers.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Velvet Sparrow posted:

There's only one word to describe Dixie's unusual comb: Adorable! :3:

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
I found these pictures on a Dutch site - thought the Brahma owners might like them.

Isabella Brahmas

I also recommend going here to see other breeds in interesting plumage. There are more breeds in the Dutch listing than there are in the English.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

WOW! Dixie is TOO CUTE! Her comb is amazing looking, and to start crowing, that is a crack-up!

Why is it the Europeans have such great looking chickens! Although VS yours are amazing too! And Chido, yours are beautiful too. Oh, and Tim the Enchanter with those Cochins and Silkies, they are gorgeous! Do Europeans attempt to preserve blood lines, if that is what you call it in chicken husbandry? Is chicken keeping still fairly new here in the US? Will we end up with chicken mills, akin to puppy mills?

Look at Flora, NettleSoup's Buff Orpington, she doesn't look like any Buff Orpington I've seen around here, her color is beautiful and her size!

EDIT: Have I happened upon the world of extreme chicken keeping!

piscesbobbie fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Oct 18, 2012

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Europe also has a lot more interesting horse breeds than we do here.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Wow....those Isabella Brahmas are gorgeous! Love the one roo watching the sky. :keke:

Yeah, the Europeans have been at it a lot longer, have birds with better bloodlines and more variety than we do here. In the US the focus has been more on birds for meat/eggs than beauty, which has only really started to shift in the last 100 years or so.

But I think since more mainstream people are getting interested in keeping chickens as a hobby, we'll get more and better birds. :)

VVVV We, of course, demand pictures of this so-called 'feathered breadbox' of yours. :colbert:

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Oct 19, 2012

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008
Rare breeds are the best breeds. I want Dorkings...I have one, but she's some random color. It's okay though, still like her. :3:

Someday, though, I will have an entire flock of feathered breadboxes.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

RabbitMage posted:

Rare breeds are the best breeds. I want Dorkings...I have one, but she's some random color. It's okay though, still like her. :3:

Someday, though, I will have an entire flock of feathered breadboxes.

Is the Dorking a friendly breed? You have other chickens too? If so, what type?

EDIT: Found youtube video of Dorking, beautiful birds! Short and chunky like myself! http://youtu.be/Tyd8NOoT6k0

piscesbobbie fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Oct 19, 2012

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Googling for the breed, they look like they're wearing little waistcoats! :3:

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Dorkings are very pretty birds and a very old breed. Plus, they have 5 toes, like Silkies!

Gotta start looking around for what we want to hatch next year... :neckbeard:

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Dorkings are very pretty birds and a very old breed. Plus, they have 5 toes, like Silkies!

Gotta start looking around for what we want to hatch next year... :neckbeard:

Wow VS, how DO you decide? So many varieties!

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

ModestMuse posted:

Are these "sebright"s difficult to find? What a beautiful bird. Where can I get one? :)

https://www.mypetchicken.com has them. Usually have a little bit of a wait though. I got one there, she was awesome and beautiful. (until I lost her to a predator :( )

That dixie is just adorable. I'd also buy that rootbeer just because it has a chicken on it. :P

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Dixie the Sicilian Buttercup is amazing. She even poses for the camera!

VS how DO you decide which breeds you want to hatch!

It's crazy, some breeds you need to get on a waiting list MONTHS in advance!

piscesbobbie fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Oct 20, 2012

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008
Hatch Dorkings, send them to me (note: do not do this, I am probably moving soonish).

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

In the past we chose breeds depending on what we liked and wanted. Now that we've moved to a different area with tougher hatching conditions and colder winters, we have to keep those things in mind.

As our flock is aging, we like to hatch & keep a few new chicks every year...so far we haven't really talked about what we'll try come Spring, but some of the ones I like are:

Bantam Cochins
D'Anvers (Quail Bantams)
Salmon Faverolles
Sicilian Buttercups
Sultans
Coronation Light Sussex
Polish

I also have a weakness for Pumpkin Hulsey roos, but since they are gamecocks, they are pretty much out. But oh, so pretty!

Anyone have any suggestions, toss 'em out! :v:

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

I was talking with my sister this morning and she told me that I should start writing a blog or make a website about the chickens. Basically just post stories and anecdotes about them. She was listening to the radio the other and and head a caller describe how he makes his income mostly from the ads in his esoteric website. She said that I should give it a try and see if my writing style is appealing enough to get some extra income. Should I do it?

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
Speaking of bantam Cochins and bantams in general, my friend (from earlier in the thread) has been busy! The chicks I posted have all grown up and started laying, but unfortunately one was a roo, so she's down to two big layer girls, not three, and she wasn't happy with that, after growing to love chickens.

So, after reading up on our zoning laws and getting the okay from the neighbors, it turns out she can have up to seven bantam hens and up to four big layer hens IF she's housing them for 'someone else', and I volunteered. We found a breeder nearby who focuses on organic-raised bantam cochins, frizzles, and silkies, as well as the silkie/frizzle crosses, the 'sizzles'.

We went home originally in August with these two frizzle chicks:

They grew up, bit by bit, and enjoyed brief outdoor excursions:

Meanwhile, Pardalis and I were simultaneously incubating a half dozen bantam Cochin eggs from the same breeder for her. We weren't actually expecting much, because the incubator failed halfway through, but we were all surprised when the tiniest egg hatched!

This is what we made, a sassy, constantly-peeping blue splash bantam cochin, named Glitzy Pig:
(forgive the iPhone shots, these are a couple days after hatching)

She was the only hatch that survived the failed inc, so we were in a scramble to find a friend or two for her, especially since all the local urban farm places had older chicks or weren't selling them anymore. Luckily the same breeder had a few more hatches planned, soooo....

The tiny chick sitting on top of the other one was the only one she had planned to get, but the breeder also had two-week old frizzle and sizzle chicks, so of course she nabbed one of each. Of course.

That's the sizzle chick in the first pic (look at the silkie poof head!) and the frizzle is in the foreground of the second.

While all of this was happening, the two older frizzle chicks (one black, one white) grew into pullets and lo and behold, the white one looks definitely like a roo.

Great, another roo. She's going to have to raise him up and give him on to a loving home once he starts crowing, since roosters aren't allowed in our zoning laws. That prompted my friend to decide hey, what's just ONE more, right?

Riiight. Just one more...turned into two more because hey, she needs a buddy! They're partridge splash silkie Cochins. Sooo cute, I can't blame her.

Chicken addiction: its bad, but it doesn't get serious until they see pictures of different breeds online!

Captain Foxy fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Oct 21, 2012

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Chido posted:

I was talking with my sister this morning and she told me that I should start writing a blog or make a website about the chickens. Basically just post stories and anecdotes about them. She was listening to the radio the other and and head a caller describe how he makes his income mostly from the ads in his esoteric website. She said that I should give it a try and see if my writing style is appealing enough to get some extra income. Should I do it?

YES! I would read your blog/ads to help you out Chido!

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Riiight. Just one more...turned into two more because hey, she needs a buddy! They're partridge splash silkie Cochins. Sooo cute, I can't blame her.

Chicken addiction: its bad, but it doesn't get serious until they see pictures of different breeds online!
[/quote]

Thank you for sharing those photos!

I think it's what they call CHICKEN MATH! Those chicks are so ADORABLE!

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Chido posted:

Do this. I will add you to my Bloglovin, which is currently all nail polish blogs. :D

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

What blog should I use? I used to have a livejournal years ago, but I think I closed it. I don't really blog or post that much personal information outside SA, so I have no idea what blog site I could use.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I've always heard outstanding things about Blogger.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

I use Wordpress for my food blog and I really like it, but I have my own hosting so I'm not sure what it's like if you're using their hosting.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I've always heard outstanding things about Blogger.

Plus, it's owned by Google, I believe.

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

Velvet Sparrow posted:

In the past we chose breeds depending on what we liked and wanted. Now that we've moved to a different area with tougher hatching conditions and colder winters, we have to keep those things in mind.

As our flock is aging, we like to hatch & keep a few new chicks every year...so far we haven't really talked about what we'll try come Spring, but some of the ones I like are:

Bantam Cochins
D'Anvers (Quail Bantams)
Salmon Faverolles
Sicilian Buttercups
Sultans
Coronation Light Sussex
Polish

I also have a weakness for Pumpkin Hulsey roos, but since they are gamecocks, they are pretty much out. But oh, so pretty!

Anyone have any suggestions, toss 'em out! :v:

Sebrights, silkies and Birchen Marans and Showgirls!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Chido posted:

What blog should I use? I used to have a livejournal years ago, but I think I closed it. I don't really blog or post that much personal information outside SA, so I have no idea what blog site I could use.

Chances are your Livejournal account is still sitting there. As long as it had some posts in it, Livejournal would not have deleted the account. (This pisses me off because a couple of LJ names I really wanted have been unused for 11 years since their jackass owners created them in 2001, made ONE post, and then abandoned them.) :mad:

That said, I use Livejournal and so does Velvet Sparrow and another popular blogger named Cleolinda Jones (who writes humorous columns about culture and films/television). Cleolinda was offered a book deal based on her amusing series called "Fifteen Minutes Movie" where she wrote short spoof of current films. The famous OhNoTheyDidnt celebrity gossip community is on Livejournal too (it's so big now that the owner/moderator gets paid by Livejournal).

I've seen a lot of people using Wordpress and Blogspot too. I think Wordpress might actually cost money now? There's a lot of artists/animators/filmmakers on Wordpress.

Have you looked around to see if there are any other chicken blogs online? I've seen a few blogs by farmers who sometimes talk about their chickens, but I came across those through their videos on Youtube. You might set up a Youtube account which would correspond with your blog (using the same username), so be sure to come up with a unique name to use!

Inveigle fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Oct 21, 2012