Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Sending emails to the police department of London, Ontario. That's brilliant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Hell
Nov 10, 2011
It's like if Mr.Bean turned far-right.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

KayTee posted:

This:

Several emails along these lines have been sent.

Meaning that there's some poor sod in a police station in London, Ontario Canada is scratching his head and asking: "Who're dees fuckwits, eh?"

This is beautiful. Not only do the EDL not know what police authority serves the capital, even though they've all just been arrested by them, but to send an email (though it's good to see Nazis still know how to spell appeasement) not knowing that .ca on a web address means Canada isn't just the icing on the cake, it's an entire 2nd cake.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
What the hell happened to google?

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Jesus christ that is golden.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

KayTee posted:

gently caress it - here's the cliffnotes:

53 arrests, including Tommeh, Kev Carroll and Michael Wood - this you know.

All released on bail, with orders not to enter East London untill told otherwise - That's hosed their next demo.

Kev's arest comes less than 24 hours after he'd forked over his £5k deposit and 100 signature application to be PCC. We don't know how this will affect his claim or his deposit.

Tommeh arrested again for alleged assault on Sayful Islam (The mouthpiece of Islam 4 UK/Muslims Against Crusades/Al Majouroon/Nutters 'R Us)

Tommeh arrested again on suspicion of fraud with re: Entering the US over 9/11 to pally around with Pam Geller. (The EDL page has the begging plate out)

This:

Several emails along these lines have been sent.

Meaning that there's some poor sod in a police station in London, Ontario Canada is scratching his head and asking: "Who're dees fuckwits, eh?"

I'd love to see the canned response that eventually gets copied to all these guys.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

What the hell happened to google?
A few thousand protested non-violently outside the Google office for them to remove that awful 'The Innocence of Muslims' film from Youtube. Google didn't.

edit: actually that article's terrible, here's a BBC one.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-19941886

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Cerv posted:

I'd love to see the canned response that eventually gets copied to all these guys.

I feel it may be something like the reply given here:

http://www.lettersofnote.com/2011/02/regarding-your-stupid-complaint.html

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Hey, the cops figured out that not only can you can arrest anti-fascists, fascists can be arrested, too! What a concept!

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
Statement from the Met Police

quote:

Stephen Lennon, (29 - 27/11/82), unemployed, of Bedford appeared in custody at Westminster Magistrates' Court on Monday, 22 October charged with possession of a false identity document with improper intention (contrary to Section Identity Documents Act 2010).

He was remanded in custody to appear at Southwark Crown Court on a date in January 2013.

Enjoy your Halal Winterval Turkey dinner, Tommeh!

e:

quote:

Possession of false identity documents etc with improper intention

(1)It is an offence for a person (“P”) with an improper intention to have in P's possession or under P's control—
(a)an identity document that is false and that P knows or believes to be false,
(b)an identity document that was improperly obtained and that P knows or believes to have been improperly obtained, or
(c)an identity document that relates to someone else.
(2)Each of the following is an improper intention—
(a)the intention of using the document for establishing personal information about P;
(b)the intention of allowing or inducing another to use it for establishing, ascertaining or verifying personal information about P or anyone else.
(3)In subsection (2)(b) the reference to P or anyone else does not include, in the case of a document within subsection (1)(c), the individual to whom it relates.
(4)A person guilty of an offence under this section is liable, on conviction on indictment, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 10 years or a fine (or both).

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2010/40/section/4

Up to 10 years...

ee:

No need to take my word for it!

KayTee fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Oct 22, 2012

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

There is something deliciously ironic about Tommy Robinson using a forged passport while accusing illegal immigrants of doing the same.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Zero Gravitas posted:

There is something deliciously ironic about Tommy Robinson using a forged passport while accusing illegal immigrants of doing the same.

I've been chuckling away thinking the same.

"TOMMEH ROBINSON: ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT".

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
"The only moral illegal immigration is my illegal immigration" - Tommeh Robinson.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
The evil muslamic British Government is trying to get Tommeh killed, according to "totally not part of the EDL" British Freedom

British Freedom's bullshit press release posted:

We have just heard that Tommy Robinson has been incarcerated in London’s Wandsworth Prison, sharing a cell with Muslims on a wing full of Muslims screaming death threats at him.

This is how the authorities react to those who try to warn Britain of the greatest threat to national peace and security since the Second World War.

The British Government is hereby forewarned that should any harm come to Tommy Robinson in prison, they will be held to account.

The Government has a duty of care to all prisoners, not to go out of their way to place them in potential danger for vindictive or political reasons.

British Freedom are actively seeking the advice of lawyers on this matter. Meanwhile, we invite all friends and supporters of Tommy Robinson to write your messages of friendship and support below; we will do our best to convey them to him to strengthen him in this difficult time.

Obviously they're unaware we have a perfectly functional security service who are capable of killing him at their discretion.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
They just...

Keep...

Going!

:roflolmao:

From British Freedom's homepage:

quote:

By George Whale, 21:20 Monday

I have just received an urgent telephone call from British Freedom leader Paul Weston who has been arrested outside Wormwood Scrubs Prison.

Speaking from the back of a police van being driven to an unknown destination, Paul hurriedly informed me that he and a friend had travelled to the prison in West London this evening with the aim of visiting Tommy Robinson, or at least assuring themselves of his well-being.

Speaking through a glass panel they had asked officers at the prison to confirm that Tommy was being held there, but they refused to provide this information, citing the ‘Data Protection Act’. Paul and his friend again demanded to know where Tommy was being held, and at that point both were charged with breach of the peace, arrested and bundled into the police van.

Our conversation was cut off with Paul loudly remonstrating to an unidentified individual, “take your hands off me!”

We will update you on the situation as it unfolds.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
They...

Just...

Won't...

Stop!

:roflolmao:

It's been good fun watching the EDL lot come up with reasons why the police were "overreacting" and "Suppressing Freedom of Speech" and whatever... The event that was planned in east London has been described as a static demo, a photo shoot and a simple day out...

Well, what do you think:

Looks peaceful enough, right?

Lion Heart is going for the hyperbole grand prize:

And that story I posted above?

Apparently Weston was making a nuisance of himself outside of the wrong prison - It appears to be pretty well known that Tommeh is being held at Wandsworth, not Wormwood Scrubs.

Kieselguhr Kid
May 16, 2010

WHY USE ONE WORD WHEN SIX FUCKING PARAGRAPHS WILL DO?

(If this post doesn't passive-aggressively lash out at one of the women in Auspol please send the police to do a welfare check.)

KayTee posted:

Lion Heart is going for the hyperbole grand prize:

I think he's got his chronology wrong -- The Night of the Long Knives is what happens after these fascist bastards take over.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Protesting the wrong prison. I love this.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Lamuella posted:

Protesting the wrong prison. I love this.

According to British Freedom's Twitter he was freed this morning.

I do hope he races home, runs right over to his computer and taps out a winging butthurt write up of his horrid time in jail and how he's been persecuted for being white and british and how his freedom of speech is being taken away and to please send him money so he can prop up Kev Carroll's doomed PCC candidacy.

e:

Congratulations to BareNakedIslam for admitting Tommeh's Guilt in the first paragraph of their "Free Tommeh Robinson" post:

quote:

English Defence League’s Tommy Robinson remanded to prison for allegedly entering the U.S. illegally, making extradition a strong possibility

Even worse, Tommy has been denied any help with legal aid by the UK fascist government dhimmis. With Tommy having all his accounts frozen, he has no access to any monies for legal representation!

Bolding mine.

Also, if someone who knows how laws work can confirm, I'm informed he's been denied Legal Aid because the crime was, technically, committed in the USA - and Legal Aid doesn't go there.

Also his accounts have been frozen since 2008, a year before he founded the EDL. (But then I suppose that just goes to show how far the UK fascist government dhimmis are willing to go to cripple the proud patriots of the EDL)

quote:

Tommy had never been denied entry to the U.S. until Barack Hussein Obama took office. He came here in Sept. 2010 to speak at the protest against the Ground Zero Victory Mosque, but was denied entry as soon as he landed at JFK. On September 11th, this year, he came to NYC, using a borrowed passport, to speak at Pamela Geller’s Stop Islamization of Nations (SION) symposium. Below is Tommy’s speech:

:downsbravo:
He's been arrested for the crime he's committed! We're living in loving Orwellian times, I tell you!

KayTee fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Oct 23, 2012

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Why couldn't he just order a regular passport? Is there any merit to the idea that a western nation would deny him entrance?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Tias posted:

Why couldn't he just order a regular passport? Is there any merit to the idea that a western nation would deny him entrance?

Barenakedislam claim he was denied entry to the USA in 2010.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Tias posted:

How does one use a borrowed passport, exactly? I thought the whole point of it is that it's suppoused to be your document. Sounds more like a counterfeiting job.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Mokotow posted:

How does one use a borrowed passport, exactly? I thought the whole point of it is that it's suppoused to be your document. Sounds more like a counterfeiting job.

Find someone who looks like you, use their passport, maybe? It's pretty loving illegal, now matter how you do it.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
There's potentially two reasons:

1, He was denied entry to the US, and it's unlikely he'd have been allowed in at that time - big anniversary of 9/11, meeting with Pam Geller and a number of other hate groups - It was a whole big cocktail of: NO!

2, He might not have had his own passport at the time - One of the charges currently listed against him is a failure to hand in his passport on time as he was ordered to in accordance with his football ban and the start of Euro 2012.

However, I don't know when and if his passport was returned, but I do remember a lot of people wondering not just how he funded himself to go there, nor how he got in due to his previous refusal (we'd all genuinely forgotten about that, it was 2 years ago!) but how he got in as we were sure he'd handed his passport in. We all just assumed it had been returned - it might not have, apparently.

e:

just been reminded of the other bit of passport forgery he's been involved with...

This is from 2-3 years ago just after his ID was exposed for the first time (Back then the EDL were NEVER seen out in public without ski masks - they claimed that they couldn't reveal their true identities because there were Muslamic assassins who would target their families, because with great fuckwittery comes great paranoia)

He tried to prove that he wasn't "Stephen Yaxley-Lennon" but instead some fellow called Paul Harris.

This was just a photoshop mind, nothing completely illegal - I guess, I've just been reminded of it and the early days.

KayTee fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Oct 23, 2012

Babunar
Sep 15, 2009
I've just caught up with this thread - thanks everyone, particularly KayTee, for the great posts.

Those idiots sending that frothing email to the police in London, Ontario is just hilarious.

Tias
May 25, 2008

So the US denied him entry for wanting to attend a gig with Pam? Good on them, I guess, I just thought Gellar and her revisionist pals were kosher upstanding people in the US these days - I guess Tommy is much too frothing and unintelligent to come across as housebroken as Gellar, though.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
Things are moving so quick at the moment that I fully expect that by the time I've written up and submitted this post some new act of idiocy will have happened.

Here's where we are so far -

Tommeh is definitely in prison for the foreseeable, and him using a fake passport to enter the USA is pretty much accepted as fact by EDL and Anti's alike - regardless of this pretty blatant breech of the law, Tommeh is still referred to as a political prisoner.

Paul 'Westie' Weston hasn't been seen or heard of since he was released from custody after demanding to see someone using a fake name at the wrong prison.

The EDL's main page published this article

It opens with the title

WE ARE ANGRY AND OUTRAGED

Followed by the GIS image for a mid-life crisis. (No kidding)

The article starts with:

quote:

We're not angry, we're very disappointed...

Well, at least they're consistent.

quote:

The recent arrest of EDL Leader Tommy Robinson really stinks.

It stinks because it has so obviously come about as a result of political pressure.

It's come about as a result of the Police preventing a planned disruption of the peace, as well as Tommeh's breaking of the law. (One almost certainly based on this event not a few days earlier)

quote:

It stinks because he is currently being held alongside numerous Muslim inmates who have already made it clear that they don’t exactly wish him well.

I thought we had a two-tier system the let Muslims get of scott free?

quote:

And it stinks because it is all part of a long-fought campaign to silence both Tommy and the EDL.

Reading this and the innumerable blogs all screeching "Free Tommy Robinson" are evidence of this politically motivated silencing of the EDL.

quote:

Tommy has been dragged from one court to another – almost always without any serious chance of conviction

Things Tommeh has been convicted of in the last 3 years:

quote:

Convicted of using threatening, abusive or insulting behaviour 24/08/2010 at Luton Vs Newport County. Luton magistrates sentenced Lennon to a 12-month community rehabilitation order, a three-year ban from football and ordered him to carry out 150 hours of unpaid work.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-15313902

Convicted of assault on Alan McKee at Blackburn EDL demo 02/04/11. 12 week sentence suspended 12 months, 150 hour community order £200 costs.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-15117961
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/edl-leader-stephen-lennon-given-89446

He was in court and charged with a public order offence during Armistice Day in Kensington last year, when Muslim extremists burned poppies. http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/fu.../#ixzz1MMw1ZUSJ

http://exposingon.tumblr.com/post/5399617246/tommyincourtpublicorderoffense

Arrested for Trespass after a rooftop protest at FIFA HQ, Zurich Switzerland. Fined £2300 plus £700 costs after serving three days in prison. http://www.lutontoday.co.uk/news/local/edl_members_fined_over_rooftop_protest_1_3252965

Just after a quick search.

quote:

In one sense it works, because it means we have to spend a lot of time and money on legal appeals, when we would much rather spend it on serious campaigning and on organising demonstrations.

Remember this - it'll come up again later.

quote:

This [arresting EDL criminals] is encouraged by our opponents – by Islamists, the far Left, and others who care more about demonising people than they do having a fair and open debate.

They call us names – ‘racists’, ‘fascists’, ‘Islamophobes’ – none of which actually describe what we believe or what we stand for, but which are hard to dispel.

Because they keep acting like racist, fascist Islamophobes...

quote:

Their job is made far easier whenever we do not show a united front.

Remember this too!

quote:

In fact, we are one of the most important forces in the battle against far Right extremism.

*Milknose*

The rest of the article is more of the usual "Grrr! Muslims!" blinkered Daily Mail foaming but it's isn't nearly as funny as the above few quotes, especially in light of what is coming.

Kev Carroll has been officially promoted as the leader of the EDL.

Yup.

Kev Carroll, BFP Co-Vice-Chair and potential PCC candidate, who can barely string a sentence together without guidance, who for nearly two years was an EDL nonentity, just hovering over Tommeh's left shoulder, is going to "Lead" the EDL.

Oh! Speaking of which, Have a quick update on Kev's PCC campaign!

Victim Support organised a Q&A session for PCCs, giving them a good grilling on what their priorities will be.

Guess who wasn't invited?

An Open Letter to Victim Support Bedfordshire - From the British Freedom PArty

quote:

I am greatly dismayed to learn of your decision to exclude British Freedom candidate Mr Kevin Carroll from the recent Victim Support event in Flitwick for Bedfordshire Police and Crime Commissioner (PCC) candidates.

:)

quote:

You reportedly also said: “As a charity we have no statutory obligation to invite all candidates in the same way as other organisations. We did not want to, and we weren’t prepared to engage with their [British Freedom's] candidate”.

Weren’t prepared to engage? Are you serious? With victim satisfaction in Bedfordshire officially the second worst in the country, should you not be listening to ideas from all who offer constructive input, not just those whose politics you approve of?

Well there's your answer, matey!

quote:

By what right do you, as a representative of a publicly funded body, distort the democratic process by selectively denying candidates access to a publicly reported forum,

Well, they answered that themselves, if you'd have bothered to listen:

quote:

“As a charity we have no statutory obligation to invite with all candidates in the same way as other organisations.

“We did not want to, and we weren’t prepared to engage with their candidate.”

But the BFP butthuring continues:

quote:

How is it that none of the trustees or managers of Victim Support (and none of the invited candidates for that matter) raised even a murmur of protest at the politically motivated exclusion of the British Freedom candidate?

Because everyone agreed?

quote:

Victim Support performs important roles on behalf of victims of crime in Bedfordshire, and will continue to do so with the active support of the new Commissioner. In order that we may rectify your regrettable omission I would like to extend to you an open invitation to answer the above questions in a public forum; to allow Mr Carroll the same opportunity as the other candidates to present his ideas on improving support for victims and witnesses in Bedfordshire; and to allow him the same opportunity as other candidates to sign up to your ‘five pledges’ to crime victims.

I look forward to your early reply.

Yours sincerely

Dr George Whale

He's still waiting.

So... Kev Carroll is currently leader of the EDL. And on the horizon, this weekend is a march in Walthamstow.

Well, possibly a static protest in Walthamstow

This one should be a good one to watch - given that all the 53 Trojan Furnature Van warriors were all presented with these conditions on their release:

quote:

Dear Community Members

I would like to take this opportunity to update you on the arrest of English Defence League (EDL) members on Saturday 20 October and the proposed March and Demonstration in Waltham Forest on Saturday 27 October.

- As part of the pre-event investigation and disruption activity prior to the proposed EDL march in Waltham Forest on Saturday 27 October, MPS police officers arrested 53 people on Saturday 20 October. The bulk of the arrests were for Conspiracy to Cause a Public Nuisance.

- The vast majority were released on police bail until the end of November with a variety of conditions, including:

- not to enter the London Boroughs of Islington, Tower Hamlets, Waltham Forest and Newham;
- not to enter London on Saturday 27 October or Sunday 11 November;
- not to attend any demonstrations or assemblies.

- The MPS has dedicated a large number of resources to the pre-event investigation and will police any future demonstrations with a proportionate number of resources

- In relation to any application to seek a ban from the Home Secretary, the MPS has always and will continue to consider all options in relation to the proposed demonstration.

The available intelligence, legality and ability to enforce any such application for a ban is constantly under review. Although the MPS hasn’t been able to exercise this option to date, the decision remains on our agenda.

So Kev Carroll, Westie and a whole bunch of others, who are mostly understood to be regional organizers and other motivators cannot attend, under threat of arrest.

53 people is anywhere between 1/4 and 1/3 of the average turnout of a recent EDL demo.

So, what was Kev's first contribution to his new barmy army? Surely a rallying call, "Unite the Right!" Show a cohesive front! Call to arms and make the demo mean something!

Ha! Don't be so loving daft!

Well, he starts off okay...

quote:

During my time of temporary detention for allegedly "conspiring to cause a public nuisance" which has caused me much stress and inconvenience, I have to say a massive thank you to all those proud patriots who have stuck by me and Tommy. Through thick and thin, through the good times and the bad we have continued in our struggle to battle against many enemies, be they violent Islamists, the far left and the very real and very present far right, we continue to battle.

We battle because we really do know what is at stake, it's our children's futures, their children's futures, the battle of equality and civil liberties, it's about pushing back an intolerant and backward ideology that discriminates against non Muslims, an ideology that believes its ok to beat women, murder homosexuals, rape our children, and hate anything about western culture and western values, namely democracy and freedom of speech

Usual fare.

quote:

There aren't enough words in the English dictionary that can describe the bravery of genuinely loyal and patriotic EDL members,

There are, you just don't know them [/monkeyisland]

quote:

It is however somewhat tempered with a disturbing reality, I say this with a heavy heart because I feel compelled to, and I wish I didn't have to but now is the right time to say it. I have not come this far, or fought so hard at much personal cost to allow false patriots to dictate the direction or ethos of the EDL.

Tommy mentioned in his speech at Walsall certain groups and individuals who seem intent on ruining our grass roots street movement, people with alternative agendas, people serving the interests of groups who want to ride on the back of our success, people who want to entice our members to serve a different goal, a different agenda, they spread their poison and their gossip amongst the rank and file of the EDL, they are vermin.

Hoho! What's this? Remember that "United front" note I asked you to make a note of?
:)

quote:

I have heard people say "why" another collection for funds to help Tommy fight his extradition to the USA?

I really can't believe the question was even asked! For gods sake the lad is on his arse on remand with no money, no legal council, no legal aid, his family living in fear on a daily basis, his children threatened, his wife threatened, and yet some idiots are complaining about raising funds for a lad who sticks his fingers up to the establishment, a lad who leads from the front getting up close and personal with violent islamists on a daily basis.

Remember the money and funding note I also made a note of? Well here it is - the rank and file are getting a little fed up that time and time again EDL members are left to fend for themselves, while every time Tommeh plonks his arse down in the fire, the begging bowls come out.

But Kev isn't done wrecking his own organisation just yet...

quote:

Some people think they are above the EDL, they think they are bigger and better than the EDL, they think they can lead the EDL but they do it behind a computer playing the big hard man, well that don't wash with me lads, I don't care if your from Essex or anywhere else for that matter, the bottom line is you would crumble under the pressures of leadership,

Strangely enough, the Essex EDL took a bit of exception to this...

Even Hel Gower, leader of the EDL 'Angles' and oftentime speech/update writer for Tommeh and Kev saw what a colossal cock up this statement was and immediately tried to distance herself from it...

Brilliant - Kev's first act in charge of the EDL and he's pissed off not only the stupidly loyal Hel Gower, who is currently fending off accusations that she is the grass that got the White-Van-53's collars felt, but also the entirety of Essex, one of their larger divisions.

And finally...

To present an example of EDL behavior in any form of civilized setting:

quote:

POLICE had to be called in halfway through a planning committee meeting after far-right protesters became “abusive”.

Members of the English Defence League were at the meeting of Chelmsford Council’s planning committee and are said to have caused a disturbance.

In shirt a Mosque/Community center is being demolished and rebuild somewhere else in order to make way for a supermarket and a small housing estate. The housing estate will create homes, of course, while the supermarket can create up to 180 jobs.

The EDL want none of it because the word Mosque is involved in there somewhere.

Well done, EDL. Well done.

I for one can't wait for this weekend.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
In addition to the stuff at the end there about Chelmsford, the EDL wingnuts have failed to notice that the meeting house that is already on the Royal Mail site isn't the only "mosque" in Chelmsford. I'm in the Town Centre, and there is one literally round the corner from me. They're lovely people there too.

Sly Pistachio
Mar 20, 2008
This thread reminds me of something I've been pondering: are there any liberal anti-Islamic groups like this?

The association of Islamophobia with the right wing is always something that has baffled me. From what I've seen, Islamic culture has far more in common with conservativism than with liberalism.

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

Sly Pistachio posted:

This thread reminds me of something I've been pondering: are there any liberal anti-Islamic groups like this?

The association of Islamophobia with the right wing is always something that has baffled me. From what I've seen, Islamic culture has far more in common with conservativism than with liberalism.

Where the left opposes Islam it tends to oppose certain kinds of Islam, in the same way it opposes, say, certain kinds of Protestant Christianity. Wahhabism and New Calvinism are both movements that are reprehensible (though to my mind the first is worse than the second), and should rightfully be opposed by the left.

On the flipside, liberal Christianity and progressive Islam are both natural allies (and part) of the left, and should be seen as such.

The difference here is that the right sees all of Islam as a monolithic enemy to be defeated, whereas the left tends to (or should) see it as another world religion with movements within it, some lovely, some good.

That being said, the unrelenting right-wing hatred of Islam does give rise to a certain knee-jerk support of it from the left.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
As a citizen of the United States, I don't have a huge horse in this fight. I really am enjoying all the informative posts chronicling the amusing and public demise of a bumbling hate group though. So thanks a bunch!

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Desert Bus posted:

As a citizen of the United States, I don't have a huge horse in this fight. I really am enjoying all the informative posts chronicling the amusing and public demise of a bumbling hate group though. So thanks a bunch!

Well, I guess it's my pleasure to introduce you to the United States of America Defense League!

They were formed, give-or-take, in May this year...

quote:

Our Mission

"Above all, we must realize that no arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women. It is a weapon our adversaries in today's world do not have." Ronald Reagan

Our mission is to educate and unite Americans on understanding Islam and Exposing Sharia Law for the inhumane Treatment of Women , Honor Killings, Teaching Islam in Public Schools and other Stealth ways it is creeping in to our society. Islam is not just a religion but rather a doctrine of how Muslims are to live from Birth to Death and the law they follow is Sharia which is not a law that is compatible with the Constitution of the United States of America.

Our Vision is to expose Islam for it's true nature.. We will advocate for the Rights of every American to live in a free society without fear of retaliation for NOT following the Islamic faith.

It is worth noing that on the discussion page on BareNakedIslam it came to light in the comments that there as already a USADL - Hence this one carries the slogan in its banner:

quote:

This is the Official USDL Website. This site is fully supported by the English Defence League and is the only affiliated USDL.

All that's missing is a "FACT!"

Here's their facebook page With the latest post being a link to the EDL's Website and Tommeh's "Legal Fund"

quote:

PLEASE REMEMBER that one of the most common recruiting spots for Islam are prisons. And often it is the most radical Islamic clerics who go in to convert. Prisons are filled with very violent Muslims. Placing EDL Founder and champion of truth, Tommy Robinson in with Muslim prisoners is an attempt to get him killed. We must not remain silent on this. PLEASE HELP TOMMY

Stealth clerics getting purposefully arrested!

Meanwhile a group of Germans (?) held a candlelight vigil for Tommeh:

And we have a new splinter group pissed off with Uncle Kev's rallying call. Presenting The Real EDL

Here's their opening and mission statement, Enjoy!

quote:

In recent times we have seen the English Defence League rise from being a small group of lads from Luton into a huge and formidable force.

Lately a core team of egotists have ruined the organisation and alienated many members who have left.

We lay the blame firmly on the doorsteps of Hel Gower and Kevin Carroll.

Over the last weekend we have seen Hel Gower’s Facebook group grass up 53 good and loyal patriots who now have possible charges awaiting them. These were good and honest foot soldiers, loyal to the cause, the finest of the fine who would stand by leadership every step of the way.

The evidence of the grassing is here on Gower’s group, Unplugged Debate where she flirts with lefties

The way they were sent into trap was disgusting.

Last night was the final straw when Carroll mugged Essex Division off by referring to them as ‘Fake patriots’ and ‘vermin’.

Why would Gower do such a thing? She is a control freak and with Tommy out of the way she has more control over the movement and more opportunity to alienate the core supporters as she has done over the last two years.

Whilst Tommy has not always played the right cards and we would like to stand loyal to him, he is no use to the movement whilst in prison. Going to the United States on a fake passport was suicide. The return to Walthamstow is probably one of the worst decisions he has made and the fact that they are going back to that Islamic hellhole is putting the lives of every loyal patriot at risk.

We are a group of disaffected and loyal supporters including three regional officers and we think that unless we take charge of the EDL, the movement will have vanished within the next few weeks.

We are not going to state who we are until Sunday when we can access the damage Walthamstow has caused us.

This is our ten point plan to get the movement back on it’s feet again and take back our streets.

The organisation will be fully accountable and finances will be transparent

We will not leave any member behind. If a member is in trouble with the police they will get as much financial support as a leader would get. No member will be forgotten about, mugged off and left to rot in prison.

We will be going back to basics and the new leadership will lead demonstrations from the front.

We will have a Division for each county in England. There will be no divisional split below that. Divisions cause division so the less the better.

There will be no Angel’s Division or ‘Head Angel’ as the current people involved have done more harm to the EDL than anything else in the movement.

Good patriots will be welcomed back. Anyone who stands for our values will stand with us. We draw a line at Nazis though.

We will work with other groups that share our values for fundraising and new ideas
We will focus recruitment on key area of the country where we are sadly lacking numbers, London being a priority.

We shall focus on getting members elected into positions where they can make a difference to run paralel to the street movement if they show the desire and we will back them financially.

We will listen to each and every member and will be holding a meeting in your area for all to come along at least three times a year. Each meeting will be attended by a RO. Leaders and ROs will be elected with full transparency.

This is a very real last chance to save the organisation and stop England turning into an Islamic hell hole governed by Sharia law. Join us for the future of your children.

KayTee fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Oct 25, 2012

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

KayTee posted:

Well, I guess it's my pleasure to introduce you to the United States of America Defense League!

They were formed, give-or-take, in May this year...

It is worth noing that on the discussion page on BareNakedIslam it came to light in the comments that there as already a USADL - Hence this one carries the slogan in its banner:

All that's missing is a "FACT!"

Here's their facebook page

Awesome! As an American it is my lawful right to accept any group with fringe beliefs and completely ignore them unless they come to my attention, positively or negatively. For some reason I envision the USADL as the retarded brother of an inbred offshoot of the EDL, sanctioned by the white power movement to provide amusement. If you're too useless to any other white power group, they send you to the USADL.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Sly Pistachio posted:

I'm with what can safely be termed the far left, and we've opposed both the EDL when they tried to invade and were shown the door, and people like Bilal Phillips (proponent of executing homosexuals).

We've had quite the row when doing counter-protests against radical islam groups, simply because we've appeared part of the general anti-islam sentiment that exists in our country. First protest of it's kind, the social democratic and socialist groups refused to deny entry to radical right critics, and so people were coming to the show and screaming for the "arab scum to get out of arr country".

Now, I'm not liberal as much as I'm an anarchist communist strongly skeptical of liberalism, but I believe your question was more on when a member of the left becomes a protestor - and the answer is, roughly, when they preach hate.

One can argue that all moderate religion is oppressive and such, but I personally cannot see the harm in personal spirituality, whatever form that may take. When a church or preacher starts telling other, unwilling, members of society how to live, that's when we got a problem.

In practice, there's a lot less people willing to counter-protest non-christian groups and preachers, whether through ignorance, white leftist guilt or what have you, and that means I and like-minded only mount protests when the heavy hitters or Hizb-Ut-Tahrir (Danish Wa'habist group) show up.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Looks like the EDL have been banned from marching in Walthamstow

quote:

Minister for Policing Damian Green said:

"Having carefully considered the legal tests and balanced rights to protest against the need to ensure local communities and property are protected, I have given my consent to a ban on all marches in Waltham Forest and three nearby boroughs for a 30-day period.

"I know the Metropolitan Police are committed to using their powers to ensure communities and properties are protected.”

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
It's looking like the Met's finally had enough of them. Everything I've seen seems to indicate that section 14's have been set down, and the intent is to enforce them pretty darn harshly - That goes for the counterprotesters too.

Here's a joint statement from Chris Robbins (Waltham Forest Council Leader) Stella Creasy MP, John Cryer MP and Iain Duncan Smith MP

quote:

We thank the Home Office for banning the English Defence League (EDL) from marching in Waltham Forest and support the Police as they urge the public to stay away from counter demonstrations.

The Police are very clear that the ban applies to any group, not just the EDL, and our primary concern is the safety of ordinary residents who have been caught up in this ongoing nightmare.

We understand that the Metropolitan Police has told the EDL that they can only carry out a static protest outside the House of Commons on Saturday 27 October – ensuring that the far-right group does not enter Waltham Forest.

We call on everyone who had planned to demonstrate, especially those who have no connection to this borough, to stay away and allow the community to get back to normal.

Bolding mine - pretty strong and deliberate language there.

The EDL have been given permission to hold a demo outside the house of commons at Old Palace Yard - the EDL organizers are calling it a victory and a few members are stating that taking their grievances over the "unfair" treatment of Tommeh to Parliament is the right place to go... A cynical/optimistic part of me thinks it's a trap, hence the warning for counterprotesters to keep the gently caress away... I get the feeling the Met are hoping the EDL will misbehave right on the governments front doorstep to provide 1, a flashpoint to get May to look at controlling the group more and 2, to get as many arrested as possible - holy ground, innit.

With Tommeh inside, and with his (alleged) propensity to co-operate with police, it could be possible that the Met has more on individual EDL members than they're letting on.

But, hey, I could just be looking through my rose tinted glasses again - wouldn't be the first time.

Either way, this weekend is shaping up to be quite fun!

Babunar
Sep 15, 2009
I had a look at the EDL page on Facebook to mine for some funny comments but... I can't. I just can't. Few of them can spell[1], they don't understand the concept of free speech, they're hypocritical, etc. Ugh.

[1] Which in itself is nothing to be ashamed of, and indicates that the problem may be due to a lack of education, but paired with the entitlement and racism it just makes my blood froth.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Tommeh's been denied bail - Apparently when officers became suspicious of his incorrect passport in the USA he ran right out of the airport, only to return a few days for his return flight using his real passport.

Looking forward to their protest tomorrow.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Does the EDL hate the BBC? I thought they had a boner for all things British, like the NHS/BBC/etc etc. Also just wanna add that I love this thread and your posts Kaytee, it's a source of constant amusement/interest for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Fandyien posted:

Does the EDL hate the BBC? I thought they had a boner for all things British, like the NHS/BBC/etc etc. Also just wanna add that I love this thread and your posts Kaytee, it's a source of constant amusement/interest for me.

The BBC is ran by communist, muslim loving paedophiles, so of course they don't like it.

• Locked thread