Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Go and bring cab fare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

mindphlux posted:

probably the most memorable thing I had at next (most likely because I wasn't yet completely goddamn hammered) was the first thing they sent out - a tea/soup/broth/consomme of corn. it was intensely corn flavored, sweet like corn, savory like corn, had huge body, but was completely clear and straw colored.

it was so clear that I asked if they had centrifuged it or something, because all the corn stock I've made has been really cloudy. they were like 'nope, we just charred corn husks and then steeped them like tea' and my mind was blown.

anyways just went to the farmers market today, and couldn't resist grabbing a huge bag of corn husks (for free) from the discard pile. while a few hispanic guys were looking at me like I was absolutely loving nuts.

took them home, rinsed them, threw them on the grill and got them nice and brown. steeped them in just enough water to cover, waited 20 minutes - and goddamn. there it was, the same goddamn dish. seasoning was off, so I added a tbsp or so of sugar and a bit of salt, passed it through some cheesecloth - and it was dead on. absolutely amazing flavor. gave a cup of it to my girl and she was like 'holy poo poo how did you just make the thing we had last weekend'. :)

they just served it straight up, but I simmered some inch thick daikon discs in a dashi/mirin/sugar/soy sauce mixture for about an hour, osaka style, and then made a little scrambled egg/enoki mushroom squares to go with it - with the corn broth poured over.

it was really superb. highly recommend you all try this with the husks/silk next time you eat corn. even if you just have like 2-3 cobs, just use like two or three cups of boiling water, it's awesome.

If I don't have a grill, how would I go about charring it? I was thinking with the stovetop burner, but the potential for a fire makes that option less than ideal.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

TastyLemonDrops posted:

If I don't have a grill, how would I go about charring it? I was thinking with the stovetop burner, but the potential for a fire makes that option less than ideal.

How about a small propane torch from the local hardware store?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Vegetable Melange posted:

You are missing out, my friend. Also I make the best Sazerac in existence, fact.

Come make me one.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Under the broiler in your oven, if you're worried about doing them on your stovestop. Just keep a close eye.

You shouldn't be too scared to do them stovetop, though. You're not dumping a bag of husks on the stove and then turning on all the burners. You'd be doing a couple husks at a time and monitoring them every second; any potential flame shouldn't be any more difficult to control than a lit sheet of computer paper. Just clear your workspace and make sure that if you're going to drop a lit husk anywhere it's not going to land in anything dangerous. And, of course, you have an easily-accessible fire extinguisher in your kitchen, right?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

True life I once drank a girly drink and all of my facial hair fell off. Now instead of shaving I just drink an appletini once a week.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Vegetable Melange posted:

You are missing out, my friend. Also I make the best Sazerac in existence, fact.

I'm hella embarrassed, because I think I sent you a drunken email professing my love for you. I swear that it wasn't meant to be creepy or whatever. But seriously, for you and Mrs. VegMel, Puppy and I will totally come to the BK. He actually /likes/ that borough, so it's no trouble to convince him to go there. And I will cook for you if you can make me a good sazerac. Seriously.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Revolver Lolcat posted:

Wow, I should really try this some time. Was it mainly a savoury or sweet, or a neutral flavour with the essence of sweet corn?

It was actually lacking all the sweet and savory characters you'd expect from corn straight out of the steeping pot. It had a ton of flavor, just like tea does - but without adding sugar and salt it just felt dry and like a dampened flavor. adding a touch of sugar to get it up to like, the brix content of sweet corn, and a little salt to just give it a savory dimension really transformed it into something elegant. just play with it, and add a bit of sugar and a pinch of salt bit by bit, and at some point you'll come up on this level where you're like 'drat, that tastes like goddamn delicious roast corn' and you'll know you've nailed it.

TastyLemonDrops posted:

I'd do it under a low broiler. on the one hand you don't want to add any cloying oil, so I couldn't suggest doing like a pam spray - but on the other hand you run a really high risk of burning under a broiler. I'd just watch it constantly. I put rinsed/damp husks on a low grill for about 20 minutes, but I'd probably only broil them for 5-10, turning a lot.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

dino. posted:

I'm hella embarrassed, because I think I sent you a drunken email professing my love for you. I swear that it wasn't meant to be creepy or whatever. But seriously, for you and Mrs. VegMel, Puppy and I will totally come to the BK. He actually /likes/ that borough, so it's no trouble to convince him to go there. And I will cook for you if you can make me a good sazerac. Seriously.
Did I not get back to you? Let me fix that.

And wiggles, there is no leaving New York.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I'm in a hospital waiting room to see an ENT about quinsy. Look it up.

1. loving ouch. 2. Thank god for public healthcare.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Do you have hot potato voice?

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
Yes hello I would like to post a rant

Look at this lovely rear end in a top hat. This is literally the only problem with where I live. It's like 40 years old and it SUCKS. No window. No thermometer. I have burned so many things inside the oven before I just gave up on baking completely until I leave. I got one of those analog thermometer dealies that you hang off a rack, and I used it this morning--surprise surprise, the temperature inside is 75-100 degrees hotter than what you set on the dial. Not to mention I keep having to open the door to check, therefore the temp fluctuates constantly. The two times I've baked a chicken I literally had to stand right beside the oven for 2 hours, checking like every 10 minutes to make sure nothing burned. It turns cakes into carbon. gently caress, I really hate this thing. :qq: loving oldass piece of poo poo, gently caress electric, aghsdfhsgd

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

An observer posted:

Yes hello I would like to post a rant

Look at this lovely rear end in a top hat. This is literally the only problem with where I live. It's like 40 years old and it SUCKS. No window. No thermometer. I have burned so many things inside the oven before I just gave up on baking completely until I leave. I got one of those analog thermometer dealies that you hang off a rack, and I used it this morning--surprise surprise, the temperature inside is 75-100 degrees hotter than what you set on the dial. Not to mention I keep having to open the door to check, therefore the temp fluctuates constantly. The two times I've baked a chicken I literally had to stand right beside the oven for 2 hours, checking like every 10 minutes to make sure nothing burned. It turns cakes into carbon. gently caress, I really hate this thing. :qq: loving oldass piece of poo poo, gently caress electric, aghsdfhsgd

Or, I know this is crazy, but: what you could do is just check the temperature on your analog thermometer once at 250, once at 350, and once at 450, and get an idea if the extra temperature is constant across the range. If it isn't, you can adjust your recipes.

Most stoves don't come with thermometers, so I'm not sure what that complaint is about. Most ovens are often off by 25-75 degrees, so that isn't uncommon, either. Electric ovens are superior to gas ovens, so don't complain too much about that, and most people are able to successfully cook just fine with one.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

The floor and countertops are nice. You gotta be thankful for what you've got.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
Hey, I did say it was a rant. The last oven I used, which was from the 90s, had a little digital temp readout. I'll try out the thing you suggested, thanks. It 's just wicked aggravating. It would probably be no problem if it wasn't so old, I bet newer electrical stuff is a-ok.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Don't worry about aggravating, just chill. Here, check out my own personal philosophy on it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcjYUvAsZwM

Mr. Wiggles fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Oct 21, 2012

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
if you're renting a place, talk to the landlord about replacing it

granted I had some leverage because I hadn't signed yet, but when I was living with roommates 5 or 6 years ago, we found a house that was perfect except for the lovely electric stove. I asked the rental agent about having it replaced, who asked the owner, and the owner was like 'yeah I've been thinking about replacing the equipment in there for a while' - so not only did we get a brand new (gas!) stove, she replaced the fridge too which was also a bit of a shitbag.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Don't worry about aggravating, just chill. Here, check out my own personal philosophy on it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcjYUvAsZwM

here, check out my personal philosophy on electric ranges

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeWUXV89w0g

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

mindphlux posted:

here, check out my personal philosophy on electric ranges

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeWUXV89w0g

Electricity is the best!

The ideal stove is electric convection oven, electromagnetic induction on top.

gently caress gas, antiquated dino fuel.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

mediaphage posted:

Wat. Gas is amazing.

logical fallacy
Mar 16, 2001

Dynamic Symmetry

mediaphage posted:

Electricity is the best!

The ideal stove is electric convection oven, electromagnetic induction on top.

Induction is okay if you want one constant temperature (for sauces, boiling water, etc) but has nowhere near the responsiveness of gas. I'd even pick electric over induction because then at least I could still use my copper pans.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

logical fallacy posted:

but has nowhere near the responsiveness of gas.

This is completely false.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

Yeah, that's electric. Induction is instant. Cooking food with :science:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Scientastic posted:

Do you have hot potato voice?
I did. Then the nice doctor aspirated the pus out of the tonsil and abscess without anaesthetic. Pretty grim but I do feel a lot better now. I just hope he doesn't need to do it again tomorrow morning. I'm spending the night in hospital.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

therattle posted:

I'm in a hospital waiting room to see an ENT about quinsy. Look it up.

1. loving ouch. 2. Thank god for public healthcare.
Oh gently caress, I've had that before. Had to go to the ER because it hurt so goddamn bad. They gave me morphine for it.

I can totally understand how someone would get addicted to that poo poo.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

mediaphage posted:

:(

I thought you liked me.

@VegMel: Yay! Look forward to it. :3

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

mediaphage posted:

I can't roast a pepper over an induction top :colbert:

logical fallacy
Mar 16, 2001

Dynamic Symmetry

mediaphage posted:

Yeah, I guess that doesn't make sense at all. It's just been my experience that induction was okay to work with, but I don't like how only the bottom of the pan will heat -especially for frying or sauteing. I'm sure if I had one of my own I'd be more used to it, but all the ones I've tried just seemed too limited. Granted, I've only used portable models so that may be why I think that. I hate to use something so intangible, but gas just seems to have more "life". Like, if you want to sear a steak are you thinking heavy pan, high flame or ferrous metal and magnets? The depths of my soul tell me that if someone made a induction grill pan it would just be wrong. Not that cast iron grill pans are any good.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

But that's not what induction is. Are you sure you're not confusing it with electric? Induction stoves run an electrical current through any part of the pot that's metal, so it all heats up. Electric is where you heat up the bottom of your pot by placing it on a really hot metal coil.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

So the other night I got drunk with a friend and made spaghetti carbonera. It was delicious. Last night I was with the same dude at his friend's house and also pretty drunk. He told me to make spaghetti carbonera again.

Got any spaghetti? No, but I have a box of mac and cheese.

Got any bacon? No, but I made a ham earlier.

Got any eggs? No, but I have a carton of egg whites.

Well that poo poo sounds close enough, boil some water.

It honestly wasn't too terrible covered in sriracha.

edit:
I also took a picture because wolf pussy

PokeJoe fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Oct 22, 2012

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

logical fallacy posted:

Yeah, I guess that doesn't make sense at all. It's just been my experience that induction was okay to work with, but I don't like how only the bottom of the pan will heat -especially for frying or sauteing. I'm sure if I had one of my own I'd be more used to it, but all the ones I've tried just seemed too limited. Granted, I've only used portable models so that may be why I think that. I hate to use something so intangible, but gas just seems to have more "life". Like, if you want to sear a steak are you thinking heavy pan, high flame or ferrous metal and magnets? The depths of my soul tell me that if someone made a induction grill pan it would just be wrong. Not that cast iron grill pans are any good.

The portable ones are terrible. We've got some at work that look like they're about 5 years old and constantly trip. Actual induction cooktops are great, but I'd be looking at replacing ~$10k in pots and pans, so it'll never happen. Vive le gas!

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I grew up cooking on an electric, so I have a soft spot for them, but I've definitely come to prefer my gas. Electric ovens do have better temperature control for baking, though... but gas ovens are moister, so I guess that's a toss up.

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

I can't roast a pepper over an induction top :colbert:

Good point! I also toast corn tortillas directly over the flame, too.

The woman and I just made Limburger cheese sandwiches for the first time, and HOLY poo poo AWESOME! SO GOOD. It's a perfect trinity of flavors: rank, gooey cheese, spicy mustard, and sharp crunchy onions, all on dense dark rye bread. I might have a new favorite sandwich!

Fake edit:
gently caress that, Rubens are still the best sandwich, but this was close.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Psh. You people should go join the Amish.

You can use a blowtorch for toasting and charring.

Any moisture issues in a gas oven can be easily overcome with old sheet pan and some ice cubes.

I currently have an electric stove, and I still don't like electric cooktops - but they honestly aren't too terrible. I only burn stuff when I'm careless, same as any other stove.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

mediaphage posted:

Psh. You people should go join the Amish.

Speaking of the Amish, I love their cheese. Too bad our local supplier bumped our minimum order to 500bux. So we're back to more widespread commercial cheeses. =/

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

What I like about my electric stove is that if it comes to it, I can always power it via generator. Gas stoves require connection to the infrastructure which one should always have a backup plan for. Though I admit that's pretty far fetched survivalist fantasy stuff - in reality when the power goes (which is often) I just cook on my woodstove if it's winter or I eat fresh foods/use the grill if it's summer.

Also the glass ceramic cooktop I used to have looked really snazzy and space age and that's pretty cool.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Wiggles posted:

What I like about my electric stove is that if it comes to it, I can always power it via generator. Gas stoves require connection to the infrastructure which one should always have a backup plan for. Though I admit that's pretty far fetched survivalist fantasy stuff - in reality when the power goes (which is often) I just cook on my woodstove if it's winter or I eat fresh foods/use the grill if it's summer.

We have a propane stove that I can hook up to a BBQ grill tank. Intact that is what I have been doing for a year or two now.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Never seriously cooked with induction but gas is indescribably better than electric. Electric is good for ovens. I have a gas stove and electric ovens and I'm happy with that.

Still in hospital but feeling a zillion times better. The doctor wanted a third go at aspiration last night but I couldn't face it. Didn't seem like it was needed, thank god. I'm sure I'll be discharged soon.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

therattle posted:

Never seriously cooked with induction but gas is indescribably better than electric. Electric is good for ovens. I have a gas stove and electric ovens and I'm happy with that.

Still in hospital but feeling a zillion times better. The doctor wanted a third go at aspiration last night but I couldn't face it. Didn't seem like it was needed, thank god. I'm sure I'll be discharged soon.
I love my induction.. It is easy to clean!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Happy Hat posted:

I love my induction.. It is easy to clean!
That's a very good point. Gas stoves are a hassle to clean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

therattle posted:

That's a very good point. Gas stoves are a hassle to clean.

And how! My only issue with induction is that I'd have to pitch my cookware and get all new stuff. I have these really nice Mangalite pots and Club pots that I'd be sad to see leave. I don't think my Aebelskiver pan would work on induction either. The bottoms of the round thingies don't quite touch the bottom. Also, my wok would be well and truly fuct, because it's got a round bottom. That's something that I use frequently enough that I'd be sincerely annoyed at having to replace it.

I have some induction burners at work, and I love them for sure. I just found them to be annoying with regards to how specific they need your cookware to be. Clean up is a dream though. Seriously. Whoever thought up inductions had the busy person in mind, because a quick wipe down and the thing is sparkling clean in no time flat. That's pretty wonderful.