Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I hope it's not too light. I felt like the PS3 controller (without rumble) was just going to float away from my hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Bobnumerotres posted:

I hope it's not too light. I felt like the PS3 controller (without rumble) was just going to float away from my hands.

What controller would be considered heavy?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

What controller would be considered heavy?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I like the OG Xbox controller :colbert:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bobnumerotres posted:

The PS3 controller with dualshock feels like it might float away in my hands.

I know what you mean though, I prefer a controller with just a little weight to it. If I try playing with an N64 controller without a rumble pack, it just feels weird. I don't think any of us will really get a good feel for how the gamepad until it's actually released, just because harness holding it to the demo station's always going to tug at it or something to keep you from actually holding it comfortably.

Veotax posted:

That's not a controller, it's a moderately-sized flail :colbert:

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I don't believe the monster Xbox controller was heavy so much as it was simply, ah, spacious. I'm one of the weaklings who prefer my PS3 controller without rumble and I had no real trouble with it compared to anything else.

PS2 was a bit too strong, PS3 dualshock has some heft but isn't bad. Outright bad heavy controllers require us to talk about Dreamcast (with save cards) or N64 (with Rumble Pak).

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

In the Iwata Asks segment about the gamepad, they mentioned that it weighs about 500g.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.

Veotax posted:

I did too. One of the most comfortable controllers ever for my ogre hands. I was genuinely bummed when they redesigned it. :(

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

Bongo Bill posted:

In the Iwata Asks segment about the gamepad, they mentioned that it weighs about 500g.

Wow that's really light for a controller that large.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Rocco posted:

I did too. One of the most comfortable controllers ever for my ogre hands. I was genuinely bummed when they redesigned it. :(

For everyone else that controller was a loving nightmare. I had to claw at the top joystick sometimes.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I have regular sized hands and other than the black and white buttons the Duke is the #1 greatest controller of all time. They should re-release it.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
I never understood why one of the game companies hasn't launched a system with two different controllers that only differ in size, rather than trying to just make one controller that tries to satisfy everyone but never does. It seems like it'd help them net the part of the audience that always finds game controllers too small.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
It's a lot easier to guess how many controllers you need to make if you only have the one kind. You don't want a surplus of one kind of controller whilst the other has sold out.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

Shelf Adventure posted:

It's a lot easier to guess how many controllers you need to make if you only have the one kind. You don't want a surplus of one kind of controller whilst the other has sold out.
It's also cheaper to manufacture. It's more expensive to make 500,000 small and 500,000 large controllers than it is to just manufacture a million medium controllers.

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Lack of electricity... is my destiny...
And it's less confusing to consumers. I imagine there's going to be headaches when mom n' pop buy the new Wii U and find they don't have MotionPlus for the Nintendoland games that need it.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
In case anyone of you guys get the chance, try to ask or just fiddle around and find out if you can use the multi A/V port for audio output, while viewing the game through the HDMI port. (That's how I play my PS3 because I live in tv-license land.)

e: the latest PR told me that the Wii LAN adapter works, so that's a big plus

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Oct 21, 2012

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

MrLonghair posted:

In case anyone of you guys get the chance, try to ask or just fiddle around and find out if you can use the multi A/V port for audio output, while viewing the game through the HDMI port. (That's how I play my PS3 because I live in tv-license land.)

How does that involve a TV License?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

DoctorWhat posted:

How does that involve a TV License?

I haven't found any computer monitors with built in speakers worth a drat.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

MrLonghair posted:

Ah. Gotcha.

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

WARNING: Temporal rift detected!

MrLonghair posted:

The 27" Apple monitors have great speakers. They're like 900$ but they are also a great 2560 monitor.

juniperjones
Apr 27, 2012

Bobnumerotres posted:

"Conflict Minerals." Nintendo has also claimed basically no responsibility when pressed about the issue. They just go "It's not us, it's the manufacturer!" Your Nintendo consoles are made with blood. This is something that is widely known and appears on gaming sites from time to time. Doesn't really affect Nintendo's sales, and actively doing this today is a lot worse than asking an ex-criminal some questions about a conflict for realism.

Modern electronics of any sort employ quasi-slave labor overseas with terrible hours and horrible, abusive conditions. How well is the iphone doing? I could go on.

:geno: I was not aware of that. I never buy their consoles new, but that's really disturbing to me, and I'll probably tell my friends, at least. It's probably not that widely known, by the way, because I'm pretty aware of that kind of thing and I've never heard a whiff of that before.

You're right about all modern electronics as well. I won't derail this thread though :)

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

juniperjones posted:

I won't derail this thread though :)
You could've also chosen not to reply to something from...25 pages/3 weeks ago :psyduck:

For content: first Wii U ad aired in the UK:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=choXYYvjMMY

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!

japtor posted:

You could've also chosen not to reply to something from...25 pages/3 weeks ago :psyduck:

Nintendo clearly trying to make sure everyone knows it's a new console right off the bat

da anime bulldog
Sep 14, 2004

My idea of helping people.
So, is there any place to preorder this or get it on launch day? Too late?

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Zeeman posted:

Nintendo clearly trying to make sure everyone knows it's a new console right off the bat

That's actually like a significant concern. Like I remember hearing that they had some trouble with that on the 3DS, and people just thought it was the next remodel like the DSi etc. So I can't particularly blame them.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Not to mention that at E3, several people were confused if the WiiU was an add-on to the Wii, or a new console. Looks like they're trying not to repeat that mistake.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
As far as this year's E3 attendees go I think it was just that one idiot from CNN who couldn't tell it was a new console despite over a year of hype and sitting through a presentation on it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MrLonghair posted:

e: the latest PR told me that the Wii LAN adapter works, so that's a big plus

The WiiU doesn't have its own network port?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The WiiU doesn't have its own network port?

Neither did the Wii...Wi-Fi only, baby.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
Has anything been said about possible DLNA support? I didn't see anything in the OP and nothing online. If this supports that, it's likely to replace my PS3 as my home media center. The TVii interface seems nice but makes no mention of DLNA. :(

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

zenintrude posted:

Neither did the Wii...Wi-Fi only, baby.

Oh well. I've already got a LAN adapter for my Wii anyway, so I can just switch it over.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
What is DLNA exactly? I notice it sometimes turn on on my phone for no reason.

Rueish
Feb 27, 2009

Gone

but not forgotten.
Well, I caved and went ahead and pre-ordered a WiiU. (Deluxe version) I couldn't resist that new console allure and I'm actually pretty interested in a few games coming for it. Plus I guess it helps that my girlfriend wanted it pretty badly.

I'm still debating on what of the launch games I'd prefer though.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

japtor posted:

My posts are the best. :smug:

That is a great non-awkward commercial though. Thought they'd get that creepy dad dude.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rueish posted:

Well, I caved and went ahead and pre-ordered a WiiU. (Deluxe version) I couldn't resist that new console allure and I'm actually pretty interested in a few games coming for it. Plus I guess it helps that my girlfriend wanted it pretty badly.

I'm still debating on what of the launch games I'd prefer though.

New Super Mario Bros is probably your best bet - something you can play with your girlfriend. Don't forget the Deluxe comes with Nintendo Land as well. (Or is it ZombiU in the US?)

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Neddy Seagoon posted:

New Super Mario Bros is probably your best bet - something you can play with your girlfriend. Don't forget the Deluxe comes with Nintendo Land as well. (Or is it ZombiU in the US?)

It comes with Nintendo Land.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Smuckles posted:

Has anything been said about possible DLNA support? I didn't see anything in the OP and nothing online. If this supports that, it's likely to replace my PS3 as my home media center. The TVii interface seems nice but makes no mention of DLNA. :(
I'd be surprised if there's any support for stuff outside of the commercial streaming services and I guess SD/USB if they continue just a bit with what they did on Wii and 3DS.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Count Uvula posted:

It comes with Nintendo Land.

I thought the US bundle came with ZombiU? Or is that only in Europe? (It's certainly not in Australia, that's for sure :argh:)

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Europe gets a special ZombiU bundle, Japan gets a Monster Hunter Tri Ultimate bundle, America gets ?????.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

There's a deluxe that comes with NLand, and another that comes with Zombi U and a pro controller, but costs 400 I think.

A lot of people are forgetting that the deluxe comes with 10% back on digital purchases. Two fifty dollar titles will get you a 10 buck game or DLC, and it lasts till 2014.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Oct 22, 2012

• Locked thread