Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

Industrial revolution has flipped the bitch on evolution.

CloseFriend posted:

Thanks! I used the no-knead recipe off the first page againwith Killian's Irish Red. For some reason, it didn't rise until I threw in some extra sugar. I don't know what I did wrong, but it worked after sugaring it a bit, so happy ending!

Chipotle BBQ sauce, two kinds of cheddar (regular & smoked), half a white onion, a boneless, skinless chicken breast half, and paprika, chipotle powder and chili powder for aromatics, and a little chipotle Tabasco on top!

Unfortunately, I made one false move as I dropped it in the oven (I don't have and can't find a baking peel, so I use a regular cutting board), and it partially caved in. I salvaged it (the other half was still edible but malformed), but the stone's already a bitch to clean. :smith:

You actually clean your stone? The most I ever do is scrape mine off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smarion2
Apr 22, 2010
So I'm making some pizza and was about to turn our oven to 500 and a crazy thought just popped in my head.

My parents have a kiln in our house that they use for pottery. Now this bad boy gets up to about 3000 degrees which would obviously charcoal a pizza pretty quickly. I was thinking if I was feeling daring I could modify it a bit and turn it on it's side and use it as a pizza oven while it warms up at about 700-800?

Please someone tell me I'm an idiot before I ruin my parent kiln...

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

smarion2 posted:

So I'm making some pizza and was about to turn our oven to 500 and a crazy thought just popped in my head.

My parents have a kiln in our house that they use for pottery. Now this bad boy gets up to about 3000 degrees which would obviously charcoal a pizza pretty quickly. I was thinking if I was feeling daring I could modify it a bit and turn it on it's side and use it as a pizza oven while it warms up at about 700-800?

Please someone tell me I'm an idiot before I ruin my parent kiln...

I don't think turning a vessel designed to heat to 3000 degrees on its side is a very good idea, regardless of if you can drop the temperature. Whatever the actual risk of failure may be, the potential consequences could be pretty ugly. Especially if it's inside the house, as you say.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

CloseFriend posted:

Chipotle BBQ sauce, two kinds of cheddar (regular & smoked), half a white onion, a boneless, skinless chicken breast half, and paprika, chipotle powder and chili powder for aromatics, and a little chipotle Tabasco on top!

Do you want your dinner to be seized as a weapon of mass destruction?

smarion2
Apr 22, 2010

Shooting Blanks posted:

I don't think turning a vessel designed to heat to 3000 degrees on its side is a very good idea, regardless of if you can drop the temperature. Whatever the actual risk of failure may be, the potential consequences could be pretty ugly. Especially if it's inside the house, as you say.

Yeah I quickly decided that it was really dumb and unsafe and to just used the oven. It works great but I really want some pizza baked at a higher temp. Oh well this will have to do...

:hellyeah:

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
My oven goes up to 550F and while I'm sure it's not as good as a true pizza oven, I can't complain about the end result (I use a stone too). In my experience, quality home-made dough that is given a long rise will give you a great end result even if the oven isn't optimal temperature.

smarion2
Apr 22, 2010

Jmcrofts posted:

My oven goes up to 550F and while I'm sure it's not as good as a true pizza oven, I can't complain about the end result (I use a stone too). In my experience, quality home-made dough that is given a long rise will give you a great end result even if the oven isn't optimal temperature.

Totally agree, I love my stone but when you're in the mood for that type of pizza there's just not a good replacement for it. Nothing like a perfectly chard crust that still is a tiny bit chewy. The pizza I made tonight was one of my best yet the dough was perfect. I was able to stretch it out till I was able to see through it no problem.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
So my first pizza sauce has been made. Well worth it!

24oz/700ish ml peeled whole tomatoes
1tsp herbs de provence
1tsp oregano
1tsp minced garlic
1/3tsp salt
1/2 an onion
The same amount of roasted red peppers as the onion (from a jar is fine)

Puree in a blender or with a hand blender and reduce for 20-30 minutes, do not allow it to boil....

Yields about 3 to 4 twelve inch pizzas worth.

I might try fresh basil next

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Is there anything I can do so a huge piece of cheese doesn't slide off the pizza slice as I take a bite, leaving only some sauce and crust behind?

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

nwin posted:

Is there anything I can do so a huge piece of cheese doesn't slide off the pizza slice as I take a bite, leaving only some sauce and crust behind?

I'm not proud: when the pizza is hot and goopy I use a knife and fork.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

nwin posted:

Use less sauce, and give the pizza more time to cool.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Jmcrofts posted:

Use less sauce, and give the pizza more time to cool.

Using less sauce doesn't really help, I'm afraid. I've had this problem before, and due to a tomato allergy in the family we don't have sauce on our pizzas. I think it's down to the quality of the cheese - maybe something in the fat levels causes it to stick to the base sub-optimally.

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

What kind of cheese are you using? What other toppings?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
I've had this issue before and the only thing I've been able to fix it with is making sure the cheese overlaps the crust a little bit or that it touches bread/crust at some point. Jmcrofts is right, too; if you don't let it cool it's gonna all slide off and be a mess.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Walk Away posted:

What kind of cheese are you using? What other toppings?

I used a ball of mozzarella from the store. Can't remember the brand, maybe Bellagia or something? It was $4/8oz. I cut it into cubes and then pressed it to get moisture out of it.

I didn't let it cool though. How long should you let the pizza rest after taking it out?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

nwin posted:

I didn't let it cool though. How long should you let the pizza rest after taking it out?

5 minutes or so. Prepare for the toughest 5 minutes of your life.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

nwin posted:

Give it like five minutes and you should be fine. Just long enough for the cheese to kinda become solid again, but not long enough that it's going to be cold when you eat it.

Just curious, have you tried using other types of sauce instead of tomato? I love a pesto pizza, for example.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

Just curious, have you tried using other types of sauce instead of tomato? I love a pesto pizza, for example.

This. I need to do this.

PainBreak
Jun 9, 2001
I ordered Papa John's tonight, because I was exhausted after work. It was exactly what you would expect, for chain delivery pizza...no surprises, perfectly edible, and if you were having a party, everyone would think it's a-ok.

With a once-bitten slice in hand, I looked over at my wife and said, "I'd be so loving disappointed if I made this pizza."

Looks like it's time to make some dough...

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
Yea but the fake garlic butter dipping sauce makes it worth it.

I need to make a pie but I've been putting it off cause I've been doing a low carb thing for the past 3 months. Then I end up cracking when I'm drunk and buying 2 am slices. It's just not the same as a nice 900 degree cleaning cycle pizza.

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

PainBreak posted:

I ordered Papa John's tonight, because I was exhausted after work. It was exactly what you would expect, for chain delivery pizza...no surprises, perfectly edible, and if you were having a party, everyone would think it's a-ok.

With a once-bitten slice in hand, I looked over at my wife and said, "I'd be so loving disappointed if I made this pizza."

Looks like it's time to make some dough...

It's so true. I hate eating pizza anywhere else but at home now.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Walk Away posted:

There are a couple places here in Houston that do pretty good...but yeah, I basically can't eat chain pizza any more. I ordered Domino's a few weeks ago because they had a good coupon online, and I don't think I finished a second slice before I threw it away. It was just terrible.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Daedalus Esquire posted:

Yea but the fake garlic butter dipping sauce makes it worth it.

I need to make a pie but I've been putting it off cause I've been doing a low carb thing for the past 3 months. Then I end up cracking when I'm drunk and buying 2 am slices. It's just not the same as a nice 900 degree cleaning cycle pizza.

This is the best thing about just dieting by moderation and exercise, I'm finding. Every week or two I make a pizza, just I don't go overboard with heavy toppings and don't eat too much at a meal.

I'm also in on the seldom eating chain pizza any more though. Sometimes if there's a good sale or can't take time, but I've gotten to where I like my own work better.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Goons I made my first Cast Iron Griddle Pizza. It was pretty good, I don't have fancy schmancy ingredients so I just used some cubed mozzarella from a bag, some canned pineapple and some Carving Board ham cut into chunks, No sauce. I used the dough recipe in the OP, I let the pan heat up a bit too much though and it was slightly crispy on the bottom :smith: All in all it was good.

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH

Walk Away posted:

Ever since I started making my own pizza, I don't even like the nice non-chain pizza places in town. I'm pretty particular about my sauce/toppings/cheese ratios (I like a good amount of sauce), and none of the pizza places in town meet my exacting specifications :colbert:

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
I do pesto pizzas all the time:
* very thin layer of basil pesto (green). Very very thin as it's typically oily.
* mozarella
* anchovies

I'm thinking about experimenting with red pesto

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

How do you guys go about making fresh mozz pizza? I figure I should do it since I have Fiore's in Hoboken and they have the best Fresh Mozz in the tri-state area.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Walk Away posted:

I have the opposite problem. My parents say they love my from scratch pizza, but I always end up disappointed. I think I might just hate anything I make by default.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

KidDynamite posted:

How do you guys go about making fresh mozz pizza? I figure I should do it since I have Fiore's in Hoboken and they have the best Fresh Mozz in the tri-state area.

I slice it up and squeeze it between paper towels to take some of the moisture out.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

kittenmittons posted:

I have the opposite problem. My parents say they love my from scratch pizza, but I always end up disappointed. I think I might just hate anything I make by default.

It's the knowledge that the pizza isn't living up to your expectations. Every time I make pizza there's "something not quite right" to me even if other people think they're great. Out of the one's I've served others only once did somebody say "there's something missing". I didn't let the dough rise long enough on that one.

Don't beat yourself up. Your pizzas are better than frozen or chain store pizzas.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Went full bread flour this time with Casu Marzu's recipe, cut in half. Mixed the dough in the stand mixer until it was fully combined. I let this rest for 15 minutes, then mixed for another 10 minutes. I added a few more tablespoons of flour to tighten it up as it was mixing.

I cut the dough in half, and formed into balls. I let these rise in bowls for 2 hours before putting in the fridge overnight. I took them out, punched them down, and let rise again for another 3 hours.

I cut down a bunch of my basil plants because its the end of the season, and made the pesto.

Philly.com had an article this week about home made ricotta being a big thing right now, and it looked easy enough. It was easy enough, but a big mess because I underestimated the amount it made.

Petite diced tomatoes from a can, drained.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

FogHelmut posted:

Philly.com had an article this week about home made ricotta being a big thing right now, and it looked easy enough. It was easy enough, but a big mess because I underestimated the amount it made.

Interesting thought. Though I'm not a pesto fan, I usually have pizzas without sauce because of a tomato allergy in the family and the absence of sauce changes the taste of other toppings. Have you tried feta instead of ricotta? It's sharper and it goes well with meats.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

FogHelmut posted:

I'm getting pretty tired of reading articles about "ricotta" cheese made from heated milk and lemon juice. Ricotta Paneer

How's it taste on pizza?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

MisterOblivious posted:

I'm getting pretty tired of reading articles about "ricotta" cheese made from heated milk and lemon juice. Ricotta Paneer

How's it taste on pizza?

Pretty good actually, very creamy texture and flavor.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Today's pizza: my go-to crust recipe with beer and an overnight rise. Tomato sauce, mozzarella and pepperoni. I likes to keep it simple.

Love the crust!

Jmcrofts fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Oct 24, 2012

smarion2
Apr 22, 2010
Yeah that looks pretty good. Guess I know what I'm making for dinner tonight. I need to un-bookmark this thread... It doesn't help my pizza addiction.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Jmcrofts posted:

Love the crust!

Chilldog is that the Alton Brown recipe? I still use that one and dont want to branch out to different doughs.

Speaking of which does anyone know of a good sicilian style recipe? and how to make double dough pizza's like this?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

KidDynamite posted:

Chilldog is that the Alton Brown recipe? I still use that one and dont want to branch out to different doughs.

Sup :hfive:

but nah it's the Neo-Neopolitan from "American Pie" by Peter Reinhart. I found the recipe online here. The way I make it, I cut out the sugar and use beer instead of water and it comes out great. I also use a whole packet of instant yeast instead of just a tsp, I find it doesn't rise to my satisfaction with such a small amount.

E: Today I made a calzone with the leftover dough!

Jmcrofts fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Oct 25, 2012

agentseven
Oct 21, 2004

TITS AND COOTERS YOU FAGGOT
So I've been working on perfecting the NY style. I was happy to get the chance to talk to Jeff Varasano via email and he gave me some crazy detailed advice on how to handle just having a 500F oven. After mixing his advice with advice on here and a dash of youtube, I've come up with a pie that fairly well emulates my favorite (non-Neopolitan) NY pizza, which comes from a local chain called NYPD (New York Pizza Department).

I've found that adding toppings kind of hides the flavor of the dough/sauce/cheese so I've been working really hard on making a really good just simple, basic cheese pizza that blows my mind. Came closer than ever today:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
Care to share his advice? I'm limited to a 550 degree oven myself.

:edit: Also, that pie looks wonderful.