Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender
This thread has some excellent information in it. Thank you for the OP and the many replies.

I recently convinced my workplace to order a DELL U3011 as a new monitor. I love the monitor but it does have annoying hiccups such as no rotation with the stand and no rotating OSD.

The rotation was fixed by using an Ergotron LX wall mount. This mount is the most amazing monitor 'accessory' I have ever seen. After the crazy installation the monitor moves anywhere I need for sitting/standing depending on my mood. Highly recommended.

The monitor is just stupid big. Retarded big.

Unfortunately, that's not where the problems ended.

I use a Macbook Pro Retina at work. The DELL is unable to connect via the HDMI due to needing Dual Link DVI. A simple Mini Display Port -> Display port is all I would ever need right? Wrong.

Using a simple Display Port cable to an LCD other than an Apple Cinema on an Mac results in the Mac outputting YpBpr instead of RGB. The Apple refuses to see the monitor as anything but a TV.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4131661?start=0&tstart=0
http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3529/t/19418573.aspx

Why does this matter? The color space is very much off. Even with a wide gamut colorimeter I am unable to correct the green tint on the DELL.

I have now ordered an Apple MiniDisplayPort -> Dual Link DVI adapter, but don't have high hopes.

Thanks Apple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

ACID POLICE posted:

Is the IBM T221 enough to satisfy your desires?

Now someone convince me getting one of those instead of a u2713 is a bad idea (for less).
I assume it doesn't need a specialized graphics card, just enough DVI outputs?

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.

jink posted:

Using a simple Display Port cable to an LCD other than an Apple Cinema on an Mac results in the Mac outputting YpBpr instead of RGB. The Apple refuses to see the monitor as anything but a TV.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4131661?start=0&tstart=0
http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3529/t/19418573.aspx

I have a late-2011 Air connected via a MDP-to-DP cable to a Dell U2410 right now and it's in RGB. So it must be a macbook pro thing, or a cable thing. The cable I used is this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003TSTDI0/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

The only thing is that it seems to be a little weird about powersave.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Ika posted:

Now someone convince me getting one of those instead of a u2713 is a bad idea (for less).
Well, there's the part where it's limited to 25Hz or 41Hz. Would be cool for displaying enormous-res slide shows or movies, though!

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Ika posted:

It needs four links of DVI aggregated as a single display. You're only going to get that with a Radeon with at least two DP outputs and setting them up as an Eyefinity group. You'd be SOL with Nvidia gear.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
You can actually run it on just a single-link DVI cable if you really wanted to. Sure, you'd be limited to 13Hz, but it'd work! Similarly, a normal dual-link DVI port/cable would get you 25Hz. I'm not sure why you wouldn't be able to get quad-link with Nvidia gear: use a normal dual-link port and an active DP->dual-link adapter. With a maximum of 41Hz, it's not like you'd be using it for games or anything that wasn't near static, anyhow.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

It supposedly works with a dual link DVI and a single link DVI with slightly reduced refresh rate. Both current ATI and nvidia cards only have a dual DVI port and a single DVI port, and the rest is allocated for DP.

Twice the DPI of the 27" screens probably only would work with images, nothing text based or interactive.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Might need to turn on some of those hard-of-sight accessibility options for once!

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

I could buy it, take it to work, and get the software guys to finally work on DPI scaling.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

DrDork posted:

You can actually run it on just a single-link DVI cable if you really wanted to. Sure, you'd be limited to 13Hz, but it'd work! Similarly, a normal dual-link DVI port/cable would get you 25Hz. I'm not sure why you wouldn't be able to get quad-link with Nvidia gear: use a normal dual-link port and an active DP->dual-link adapter. With a maximum of 41Hz, it's not like you'd be using it for games or anything that wasn't near static, anyhow.

Nvidia doesn't do display aggregation on 4x1 setups. It would treat each half of the screen as a separate dual-link monitor, or, with 4xsingle link, as a 3x1 with an "accessory quarter".

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Factory Factory posted:

Nvidia doesn't do display aggregation on 4x1 setups. It would treat each half of the screen as a separate dual-link monitor, or, with 4xsingle link, as a 3x1 with an "accessory quarter".
Be that as it may (and I don't have an Nvidia card to check), the original T220 will certainly run at least at 20Hz off an Nvidia card, and the T221 comes with a converter box which uses the GeForce 6 as a specific example of cards that work with it.

It's a pointless argument, though, since I don't think anyone's gonna jump on a 41Hz monitor here.

PlayStationGayStation
Jan 23, 2004

^________^

jink posted:

I have now ordered an Apple MiniDisplayPort -> Dual Link DVI adapter, but don't have high hopes.

My Dell U2713 works just fine with the Apple miniDP -> DL-DVI adapter. Expensive cable, but you've already invested a good sum into the monitor.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Somebody please try and talk me out of this monitor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236287

I really like that it's 16x10. I really like that it's 24 inch. I really like that it's an IPS panel. The USB3 ports are a plus, too. $30 off is a nice incentive, but not the selling point.

I'm upgrading from a 22" 1650x1080 TN panel that I mostly use for web/email and gaming (560 Ti), but more and more of my gaming is now done on the 42" TV across the room.

Tapedump fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Oct 20, 2012

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
There's also the Dell 2412hm that's usually around $300 (and maybe cheaper if you talk to the Dell rep in the Coupons&Deals forum).

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Why would we want to talk you out of that? It's a very good monitor at a decent price. It's the type of monitor we're usually trying to talk people into here.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

evensevenone posted:

I have a late-2011 Air connected via a MDP-to-DP cable to a Dell U2410 right now and it's in RGB. So it must be a macbook pro thing, or a cable thing. The cable I used is this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003TSTDI0/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

The only thing is that it seems to be a little weird about powersave.

Very odd. I wonder if it truly is down to the firmware in the monitor? It looks like the 3011 is a newer monitor than the 2410.

I went with: http://www.amazon.com/Accell-B119B-007J-UltraAV-DisplayPort-Cable/dp/B004065DAC/

Very bizarre behavior.

PlayStationGayStation posted:

My Dell U2713 works just fine with the Apple miniDP -> DL-DVI adapter. Expensive cable, but you've already invested a good sum into the monitor.

That is good to know!

I read of many issues with the adapter due to firmware less than 1.0.3. It's hard to justify a $100 adapter that isn't guaranteed to work.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

DrDork posted:

Why would we want to talk you out of that? It's a very good monitor at a decent price. It's the type of monitor we're usually trying to talk people into here.
Well, you see, it's my cleverly veiled attempt to gather positive support and/or other options (such as the Dell 2412hm mentioned) to justify the cost of purchase to the wife myself.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Ah, well in that case you can assure your wife yourself that the internet stands firm on the fact that any lesser monitor will literally make your eyes bleed if you purchase it.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
So I need to get another monitor, and I was thinking about getting an nice big HDTV, and then mounting it on the wall a good 5 feet away so it's the same angular size as a regular monitor at a more usual distance.

Someone please tell my why this is a terrible idea, I've got to be overlooking something here.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Jabor posted:

So I need to get another monitor, and I was thinking about getting an nice big HDTV, and then mounting it on the wall a good 5 feet away so it's the same angular size as a regular monitor at a more usual distance.

Someone please tell my why this is a terrible idea, I've got to be overlooking something here.

What do you think the benefit of this will be? For a start text is going to be pretty tough to read.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Jabor posted:

Most TVs are pretty terrible monitors. Even 5' away (which isn't very far) you're going to have a pretty terrible effective pixel density by comparison, text is almost always hard to read, and you usually are going to have substantially more latency/input lag compared to a fast monitor.

Can you do it? Sure. Should you do it? Probably not. What exactly attracted you to the concept, anyhow?

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

If I was doing what you're doing, I'd only ever use it for media. Anything else just wouldn't work.

Therefore I wouldn't do it.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Jabor posted:

Let's say you put yourself back far enough to make a decent effective pixel density. And you got a display that actually has a decent (two frames or less) lagtime, and if that's in Game Mode or whatever, that it doesn't have some sort of nasty flicker the whole time.

You may not be able to defeat the overscan. (And using drivers to work around it leaves you with bad stretching effects and an effective resolution that will make a lot of games barf.)

You may be dealing with a display in CIE rec.709 color space, or something even less appropriate for a computer display. Most computers expect sRGB, and most computer monitors provide sRGB.

I've even seen some TVs which force 4:2:2 compression on every single signal that gets passed to them. Say hello to murky anything-red-or-blue.

And that's not even including the crazy things that TVs do to not-computer signals. Digital scalers that leave banding in not-precisely-a-factor-of-720-wide inputs, completely rejecting 240p input, etc, which makes it useless for old consoles like the Playstation 2. Maybe you won't run into that driving it with JUST a PC, but you may as well check at the same time.

If you really REALLY want a TV as a computer display, then make sure you don't have to deal with any of that crap BEFORE you buy it. If you already have the TV yeah give it a shot, but be ready to make friends with disappointment.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Sir Unimaginative posted:

You may not be able to defeat the overscan. (And using drivers to work around it leaves you with bad stretching effects and an effective resolution that will make a lot of games barf.)

If he's mounting a TV on the wall, i'm assuming it's a flatscreen, in which case it wouldn't have overscan would it?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

peepsalot posted:

If he's mounting a TV on the wall, i'm assuming it's a flatscreen, in which case it wouldn't have overscan would it?

Most flatscreens still come with overscan. This is partly because of "that's how it's always been done" and partly because channels and program editors still play fast and loose with things at the edges of the viewable area. Not allowing the user to turn off overscan, at least at sub-native resolutions or on 'old' signal types (SD broadcast, composite, s-video), isn't unheard of.

But even if you don't have to deal with overscan, or your video card will still do the scaling for you instead of the TV (not always a guarantee), all the other problems I listed.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

DrDork posted:

Can you do it? Sure. Should you do it? Probably not. What exactly attracted you to the concept, anyhow?

The fact that I could double it up as an actual TV when I have friends around instead of huddling around a monitor was the big motivator.

It sounds like the big issues are:

• Display latency.
  • Text fidelity.
  • Colour space issues.
  • Overscan.
  • Doing other really dodgy stuff that can't be disabled.

I'm not concerned about pixel density (If it's the same angular size and same resolution, then the effective pixel density is the same, right?), but there's definitely stuff there I need to consider.

I guess I should haul off to a store and see if they'll let me gently caress around with some of their displays to see how they'll look.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

peepsalot posted:

Hah! You'd think so, wouldn't you?

(I'm bitter about this because of setting up multiple TVs with HTPCs)

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.
I've never encountered a HDTV where you can't turn off overscan. I've been able to do it with numerous Panasonic, Samsung, Sharp, and LG HDTV's. Even the the 7 year old offbrand HDTV (Olevia) I still have around for some reason can do it. It's not always named something sensible but you can most likely do it somewhere in the settings.

As has been said, you really don't want to be working around overscan via graphics card settings as that degrades picture quality and can cause issues with games.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Jabor posted:

The fact that I could double it up as an actual TV when I have friends around instead of huddling around a monitor was the big motivator.

I'm not concerned about pixel density (If it's the same angular size and same resolution, then the effective pixel density is the same, right?), but there's definitely stuff there I need to consider.
If you're just planning on using it for media output, like running TV shows or movies or something, then fine, have at. You may still run into the issues listed, but most of them are basically immaterial for video play-back. Really, you just don't want to be trying to game on one, or--even worse--trying to read text on them. They're just not designed for it, and you will be frustrated attempting to do either of these things.

As for size, 5' isn't far enough. At 5' away, a 55" TV (~48" wide) has an angular size of about 43.6deg. A 24" monitor at 32" away gives an angular size of 35.3deg, or about 25% smaller. But yeah, if you put it far enough away (7' or so), you'll be back to a similar effective pixel density. It's more an issue of TVs not really playing nice with PC input that's the problem, anyhow.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
My cheapo Panasonic 42" LCD works great for games and even some lightweight couch browsing but I wouldn't want to use it for any real period of time.

The other annoying issue is that being a television it doesn't know about going to sleep so you need to grab the remote and turn it off manually.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

dissss posted:

My cheapo Panasonic 42" LCD

I've never heard of a Panasonic TV being described as cheap

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Their entry level LCDs (which mine is) are basically equivalently priced to Sony/Samsung/LG where I am. It helps I got a killer deal on my one because it was last years model - made it the cheapest 1080p set of that size with three HDMI inputs.

Also while I know they make some great high end plasmas they also sell a bunch of garbage entry level ones with 1024x768 panels.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

evilalien posted:

I've never encountered a HDTV where you can't turn off overscan. I've been able to do it with numerous Panasonic, Samsung, Sharp, and LG HDTV's. Even the the 7 year old offbrand HDTV (Olevia) I still have around for some reason can do it. It's not always named something sensible but you can most likely do it somewhere in the settings.

As has been said, you really don't want to be working around overscan via graphics card settings as that degrades picture quality and can cause issues with games.

I've got three in my house that you can't turn it off on. A Sharp and two Samsungs.

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
You're looking ESPECIALLY shadowy this evening, Sir

Thermopyle posted:

I've got three in my house that you can't turn it off on. A Sharp and two Samsungs.

I have never met a Samsung that wasn't perfect as a PC display. I specifically buy them because of it in fact. What models do you have?

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.

alternate.eago posted:

So when I got my Shimian Achieva Monitor, it displayed no picture only backlight. I could tell it was at least reading that the computer was sending signal to it by the LED on the front.

I had to disassemble it and reset the cables running to the panel, they must have come loose during shipping. Put it back together & it powered up fine! I LOVE this monitor. Seriously its awesome--without any of the stupid antiglare. Gaming on it is incredible. And it is sooo much nicer to look at than my 24" Asus LED monitor. Be warned, it took a bit of searching to find the dis-assembly instructions. I'll post the link to the ones I used when I get home. There are separate instructions for the glass faced ones.

As I promised, here is a link to the Overclock.net thread with pictures for the dis-assembly of a 27" Shimian: http://www.overclock.net/t/1291774/guide-adding-screws-to-the-achieva-shimian-to-fix-back-light-bleed

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

UndyingShadow posted:

I have never met a Samsung that wasn't perfect as a PC display. I specifically buy them because of it in fact. What models do you have?

I don't recall off-hand, but they're the absolute cheapest 27 or 30 inch Samsung's you could buy from maybe 5 years ago.

Anyway, I don't have any reason to doubt that the great majority of TVs can turn off overscan...I certainly don't have a large amount of experience with tons of different TVs to say.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

UndyingShadow posted:

I have a Samsung PN50B560, which is admittedly 3 years old, but even after figuring out how to disable overscan and turning the sharpness mods down/off, there's still a very noticeable difference in how it displays a lot of things vice my laptop's screen. Mind you, it doesn't actually impact the movie watching and whatnot that I do with it, but text always either looks like it's still being sharpened unnecessarily, or has a bit of a ghost/double-image to it. My desktop background (a night sky with stars) looks like poo poo because of it, too.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
That's probably a color issue. Most TVs do not do uncompressed color, instead natively doing only 4:2:0 color. That's the type of sampling done in most MPEG2/h.264 video, which is what most TVs show all the time, so it makes sense. But while that works fine for high-color images with natural transitions, it makes computer imagery look like a lovely JPEG all the time, so most hard edges and text are fuzzy and indistinct.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

I don't recall off-hand, but they're the absolute cheapest 27 or 30 inch Samsung's you could buy from maybe 5 years ago.

Anyway, I don't have any reason to doubt that the great majority of TVs can turn off overscan...I certainly don't have a large amount of experience with tons of different TVs to say.

They are probably 768p. In many cases you can disable overscan on these displays if you feed then a native 1366x768 signal, but there is no menu option to do it for non-native resolutions.

I have never seen a 1080p TV without the option to turn overscan off. In fact, my Sony LCD doesn't allow you to turn overscan on when feeding it a native 1080p signal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huh...what you say
Jun 7, 2011

1-800-Hows-My-Incoherent-Rambling
If I was to grab a stand that could rotate a Korean monitor into portrait mode, would this not work at all due to the resolution limitation? Also, wondering about BIOS tinkering, I'm guessing same limitation...

Regarding 60 Hz. vs. 120 Hz.: it seems this is only an issue for FPS's--playing something like league of legends wouldn't benefit from a monitor with 120 Hz., would it?