Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Babunar posted:

Haha, no. I'm looking at this page which is making me think it may be a bit older than 2000.

What OS did you play it on? Was it hand-drawn or early polygon porridge?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

Babunar posted:

An RTS, made some time after 2000 but probably before 2005. I'm guessing, based on the fact that the graphics were isometric 3D. The graphics were sort of cartoonish - I remember a field or a farm with big green trees in it. One of the units was a warlock. I know there's not much to go on here but does anyone have any ideas?

Any isometric 3D RTS makes me think of Battle Realms.

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy
I've recently thought of a old DOS game but I can't remember the name of it. It was a first person perspective. You could choose to be a male or female, the differences between the two that I remember was a barbell in the bottom left corner of the screen indicating strength. The male character had more weights on it indicating more strength.

The game took place inside of a castle,but you started outside of it and I think you lowered the drawbridge then went inside to explore. I can't remember exactly but I'm pretty sure you could use magic/arrows to attack the few enemies you met and they would look like little orbs that shot out of the screen. Their was also a little bar in the middle of the HUD on the bottom for text.

Any help would be appreciated, I know I kept getting stuck in the same spot and would like to actually see the end of it.

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

DOS, and pre-Windows I think:

You were solving puzzles or something, and would collect machine parts in a factory and in other areas. You had multiple objectives for stuff to build, like blimps, cars, boats, etc.

As you got parts, you could use them to build better and better vehicles. When you thought your vehicle was good enough, you could race the bad guy.

That's all I can remember about it but I do remember it was loving awesome. Any ideas?

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006
I remember there was one mafia-themed strategy game that I used to play sometime in late 90s. I remember that the art was cartoony all the way. There were whorehouses among other businesses and prostitutes could be used to distract the police. Mission intro featured some guy sitting across a desk presenting the player with a paper with mission description.

And no, its definitely not Gangsters: Organized Crime. It's not on wikipedia either.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

jonnypeh posted:

I remember there was one mafia-themed strategy game that I used to play sometime in late 90s. I remember that the art was cartoony all the way. There were whorehouses among other businesses and prostitutes could be used to distract the police. Mission intro featured some guy sitting across a desk presenting the player with a paper with mission description.

And no, its definitely not Gangsters: Organized Crime. It's not on wikipedia either.
Mob Rule?

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006
That's it!

e: oh no it doesn't work on windows 7. : /

jonnypeh fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Oct 21, 2012

Zaphiel
Apr 20, 2006

Fun Shoe

titaniumone posted:

DOS, and pre-Windows I think:

You were solving puzzles or something, and would collect machine parts in a factory and in other areas. You had multiple objectives for stuff to build, like blimps, cars, boats, etc.

As you got parts, you could use them to build better and better vehicles. When you thought your vehicle was good enough, you could race the bad guy.

That's all I can remember about it but I do remember it was loving awesome. Any ideas?

Gizmos and Gadgets, definitely.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/super-solvers-gizmos-gadgets/screenshots

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Doctor Doodler posted:

It worked on Windows 98 if that helps.

Doctor Doodler posted:

No, the graphics are too old, it was 2006-8 era graphics I think.

:raise: Was that meant to say 1996-98?

pinacotheca
Oct 19, 2012

Events cast shadows before them, but the huger shadows creep over us unseen.

Sonel posted:

I've recently thought of a old DOS game but I can't remember the name of it. It was a first person perspective. You could choose to be a male or female, the differences between the two that I remember was a barbell in the bottom left corner of the screen indicating strength. The male character had more weights on it indicating more strength.

The game took place inside of a castle,but you started outside of it and I think you lowered the drawbridge then went inside to explore. I can't remember exactly but I'm pretty sure you could use magic/arrows to attack the few enemies you met and they would look like little orbs that shot out of the screen. Their was also a little bar in the middle of the HUD on the bottom for text.

Any help would be appreciated, I know I kept getting stuck in the same spot and would like to actually see the end of it.

This is definitely Castle Master.

Doctor Doodler
Feb 14, 2012

ToxicFrog posted:

:raise: Was that meant to say 1996-98?

Yes, it was.

HawaiinYeti
Mar 12, 2005

All right, all right. Knock it off. We tried. Whatever.
Grimey Drawer
I'm trying to remember the name of a game where you play as robots in a post-apocalyptic city. It may have been in an open world city. It was possibly an indie game, but my memory of it is super fuzzy and I can't be sure. IIRC, you started in a small, mouse-sized robot in first person and could work your way to controlling larger robots later. The graphics were retro/vector-like, with some robots being simple 3d triangles. I think I played it at least 4+ years ago, so it's not super recent, but I'm not sure if it's an older game

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

HawaiinYeti posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of a game where you play as robots in a post-apocalyptic city. It may have been in an open world city. It was possibly an indie game, but my memory of it is super fuzzy and I can't be sure. IIRC, you started in a small, mouse-sized robot in first person and could work your way to controlling larger robots later. The graphics were retro/vector-like, with some robots being simple 3d triangles. I think I played it at least 4+ years ago, so it's not super recent, but I'm not sure if it's an older game

You're probably thinking of Cholo, which is actually a remake of an older Commodore 64 game. Though the remake is substantially different in a number of ways.

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

pinacotheca posted:

This is definitely Castle Master.
That's it exactly, thank you.

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

Hell yeah. Thanks.

HawaiinYeti
Mar 12, 2005

All right, all right. Knock it off. We tried. Whatever.
Grimey Drawer

Genpei Turtle posted:

You're probably thinking of Cholo, which is actually a remake of an older Commodore 64 game. Though the remake is substantially different in a number of ways.

Yep, the remake is exactly what I was thinking of. I'll have to check the original now. Many thanks.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
Bit of a stretch but it was an Atari ST game, possibly out for other similar systems. It was a 3D game with old school polygons in which you flew about in what seemed to be a platform in space (or they didn't put a skybox in).

Can't remember anything else. graphics wise it was like a lo-fi version of Starfox.

jack.
Sep 1, 2001
Starglider II?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9erRpuhyIQ

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
Might be Mercenary/Damocles/Damocles 2, I guess.

Or possibly Epic

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

DarthBlingBling posted:

Bit of a stretch but it was an Atari ST game, possibly out for other similar systems. It was a 3D game with old school polygons in which you flew about in what seemed to be a platform in space (or they didn't put a skybox in).

Can't remember anything else. graphics wise it was like a lo-fi version of Starfox.

Skyroads? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6Rovi9QSDk

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
Should also point out it was third person and I'm pretty sure you could both fly and roam along the ground.

Nope, was my first guess though

Nope, gameplay seems a bit similar though

Prenton posted:

Might be Mercenary/Damocles/Damocles 2, I guess.

Or possibly Epic
It's not Epic, but I'll have a glance at those other titles
Edit: no it's not them

DarthBlingBling fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Nov 18, 2012

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Looking at that Skyroads video reminds me of a similar game that I've only played once or twice, but remember being really fun.

It was on the Amiga. The graphics were almost entirely vector-based - it actually looked a lot like Spectre VR, now that I think about it. The primary colour was yellow.

It was like Skyroads, except if I remember right you could go in more than one direction. It was otherwise identical, floating platforms, jumping, tight ledges, etc., though I also remember it being first person.

If it helps, I'm certain it came on a double-feature disk along with the Amiga version of Rampage.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
Figured it out, it's Simulcra *spoilered for those who enjoy the thrill of guessing!

Watching a video of it in action I'm surprised how fast it ran when compared to other polygon games of the time. I remember it being quite fun!

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

I posted this in September of 2008:

KilGrey posted:

This was a game I played on an old mac in the early to mid '90s. This was one of the old mac's, black and white and I think the screen was maaaybe 12". Some how I got a hold of this point and click style game. You are a private detective and I don't really recall what your goal was but I think you were investigating something mob oriented. Here are the parts I remember, a restaurant that was either named Red Herring or served it, I believe was able to later use the term 'Red Herring' as a password when I broke into a computer. There was a part you could use binoculars and looking some chicks bathroom window and click on the curtains to open them and she's in the shower all covered in bubbles. I thought this was crazy at the time, and hilarious that you could look through a window with binoculars and make a shower curtain open. Also, there was a room you become trapped in that fills with water and you have to click on/shoot out a high window to break it to escape or something. The place I lost it at was I went into a bar and I had to give the bouncer a password and if I was wrong he'd shoot me.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

And never got a response. I'm not surprised because it's so loving vague but I really don't remember much else other than maybe the game had a 1920s/30 theme and was very noir. This is my first memory or ever playing a game on a computer and I know it's a long shot but I'd love to find the name of it again.

KilGrey fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Nov 20, 2012

Kamer Kamer Cola
Dec 25, 2009
Private Eye? Hard to find any information on this game so im not sure if it was ever released on macs.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Kamer Kamer Cola posted:

Private Eye? Hard to find any information on this game so im not sure if it was ever released on macs.

No, the game I'm talking about was much much more simplistic. It was black and white and didn't really have any moving parts. I recall it being more of a basic point and click, like the Crimson Room flash games.

Thanks for trying though. :)

Forgedbow
Jun 1, 2012

have a cigar

KilGrey posted:

No, the game I'm talking about was much much more simplistic. It was black and white and didn't really have any moving parts. I recall it being more of a basic point and click, like the Crimson Room flash games.

Thanks for trying though. :)
Something along the lines of Deja Vu, or the other MacVenture games?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y01lZbrxxb0

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

Forgedbow posted:

Something along the lines of Deja Vu, or the other MacVenture games?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y01lZbrxxb0

Yes! It was like that. I think I played this game around 1995ish but I don't know how old the game itself was but that was the style of it.

I'm really racking my brain to think of more details. I've tried googling everything I remember in a number of different ways to see if anything comes up but have gotten nothing.

I don't know why all these years later I still think about it and am irritated I was never able to finish it. I just remember getting to the part where the bouncer asks me for a password and if you get it wrong he shoots you and you have to start all the way over at the beginning of the game again and it irritated the poo poo out of me. I think you only get one or two chances to give him the correct word/phrase too. Weird how certain things will stick in your brain and niggle away at you for years.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

KilGrey posted:

I posted this in September of 2008:

And never got a response. I'm not surprised because it's so loving vague but I really don't remember much else other than maybe the game had a 1920s/30 theme and was very noir. This is my first memory or ever playing a game on a computer and I know it's a long shot but I'd love to find the name of it again.

Are you absolutely sure it's not some odd version of Snatcher mashed together with other games? I will continue to ponder other options, but Snatcher is one of relatively few games I can think of that involve a restaurant, a club and a shower scene while being a noir detective game. Not that they're not common tropes or anything.

Still thinkin'.

Forgedbow
Jun 1, 2012

have a cigar

KilGrey posted:

Yes! It was like that. I think I played this game around 1995ish but I don't know how old the game itself was but that was the style of it.

I'm really racking my brain to think of more details. I've tried googling everything I remember in a number of different ways to see if anything comes up but have gotten nothing.

I don't know why all these years later I still think about it and am irritated I was never able to finish it. I just remember getting to the part where the bouncer asks me for a password and if you get it wrong he shoots you and you have to start all the way over at the beginning of the game again and it irritated the poo poo out of me. I think you only get one or two chances to give him the correct word/phrase too. Weird how certain things will stick in your brain and niggle away at you for years.
The old Mac portable computers had a program called World Builder, which was a Game Maker/Adventure Game Studio -like program designed to allow lay-users to build first person adventure games. It's possible your game was one of those. You can try poking around Mac gaming sites, like say Macintosh Garden, where they have a few of them archived, or ask the forumites there.

tuliq
Oct 31, 2012
I think I'll give this a shot. Maybe it has come up in the thread before?

It's a PC FPS set in what I believe is a post-apocalyptic world. A very brown game. Quite old, no sure how old, but I think from Win98 times. It featured driving things like planes, tanks and other vehicles. I remember two factions (might have been more) one was a strange scientist guy, the other was an arms dealer or something. When you entered their "bases" for quests, you would get a little FMV introducing them, and a little flyby of the places you needed to go.

I remember only playing the demo of this, was on one of those CD you could get with magazines. Does anyone know what game I'm talking about?

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Reposting here from the Steam thread, since I might have more luck here:

ephori posted:

Since this is sort of the catch-all general game-chat megathread and I can't find any other thread about general questions, maybe you guys can help me out.

I'm trying to remember a game that used radar charts to represent stats for a character or vehicle, like this:

I can't for the life of me remember what the game was. Does anyone know a game that represents character info like this?

I'll throw a couple of gifts from my Steam inventory to whoever can help me figure this out.

The only other aspect was that the graph would change in real-time as you made changes to attributes, growing or shrinking different areas to reflect the changes. I feel like it was an RPG or something with character progression, but I'm not positive.

e: and it's not Persona 4, F-Zero, or Ace Combat.

ephori fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Nov 30, 2012

Nut Better
Feb 17, 2011

:same:

ephori posted:

The only other aspect was that the graph would change in real-time as you made changes to attributes, growing or shrinking different areas to reflect the changes. I feel like it was an RPG or something with character progression, but I'm not positive.

Maybe Phantasy Star Online (Dreamcast)? Look at about 4:20:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZgcind9hfA&t=259s

Cronodoculous
Jun 29, 2006

You light up my life

ephori posted:

This is probably not the game you're looking for but I do recall that the Brady/Prima Strategy Guides for the Pokemon games used radar charts for the stats of Pokemon, which was certainly the first place I ever saw them used.

Edit: Actually now that I think again, the Pokemon games also used them in-game for the beauty contest attributes. This would have been in Sapphire/Ruby/Emerald.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

ephori posted:

Chromehounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POTexFywpBM

Sorry about the video, I grabbed it at random to show what it looks like.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Chromehounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POTexFywpBM

Sorry about the video, I grabbed it at random to show what it looks like.

gently caress yes! That's it! What's your Steam name, I'll throw some stuff your way.

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.
There was some shoot em up released in the past few months that had a multi-monitor mode like the old Darius arcade games. I want to say I tried out the demo on Desura, but I can't find it for the life of me. Anyone else know what the hell I'm thinking of?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

ephori posted:

gently caress yes! That's it! What's your Steam name, I'll throw some stuff your way.
Don't worry about it :)

Morganus_Starr
Jan 28, 2001

ephori posted:

Shameless excuse to post SimAnt triangle-thing since it jogged my memory a bit. Thanks ants. Thants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

This isn't quite "remember the name", but I cannot for the life of me find this game despite (probably) knowing what it's called.

It was a stranded-on-an-island survival game. Every day you could choose one of six actions - gather water, gather wood, go fishing, send a message in a bottle, rest, or quit. Some of these were minigames (how far out is the fish?), others were straight die rolls. Your ultimate goal was to get off the island, either by building a raft and sailing to civilization, or by getting rescued by someone who found your message in a bottle.

My wife would have played this in elementary school, so early to mid 90s.

I remember the title screen looking pretty similar to the one for Isle Wars:

except the title was just "Island". However, I can't find any game with that name that matches (and of course it's pretty much impossible to google for). I could probably track it down if I knew the developer/publisher, but I don't. It's possible that it was a smaller game included as part of a pack or as a bonus with another game.

Anyone know this one?

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Feb 15, 2014