Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

thexerox123 posted:

Don't you have "My List"? If you hover over a show's image thumbnail on the web version, a little overlay appears that says "Add to list".

You can't queue things, but that's their bookmarking system, at least.

Nope, not in the latest version of Firefox anyway. I get an overlay but its just metainfo about the show with a link to click for "Not interested". The Netflix interface in general really sucks, huge horizontal scrolling bars with "recommendations" and no way of making your own content lists.

Edit: Yeah just talked to someone at Netflix Support, its a test cell thing limited to specific users and its "coming soon". Really frustrating, I found posts dating back to 2010 asking for this feature so I doubt I'll see it any time soon.

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Oct 15, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Just an update, I actually got around this. Netflix sets specific flags on your account at signup time, one of them is your country code. I cancelled my old Netflix account, logged into Unblock-us, made a new Netflix account as an American and now the interface has the Instant Queue feature (PS3, Computer, everywhere). It's funny how such a simple thing transforms the whole experience too. Whenever you queue something, it gives you a list of similar recommendations so its almost like a wikipedia marathon where you end up with a big list of stuff to watch. I used to struggle to find stuff I wanted to watch with the Recommended lists before, now in one day I've built an Instant Queue with hundreds of hours of content that I like. They really need to get this feature out to the whole Canadian base soon.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

The Gunslinger posted:

Just an update, I actually got around this. Netflix sets specific flags on your account at signup time, one of them is your country code. I cancelled my old Netflix account, logged into Unblock-us, made a new Netflix account as an American and now the interface has the Instant Queue feature (PS3, Computer, everywhere). It's funny how such a simple thing transforms the whole experience too. Whenever you queue something, it gives you a list of similar recommendations so its almost like a wikipedia marathon where you end up with a big list of stuff to watch. I used to struggle to find stuff I wanted to watch with the Recommended lists before, now in one day I've built an Instant Queue with hundreds of hours of content that I like. They really need to get this feature out to the whole Canadian base soon.

Yeah, the List has the similar recommendations, too. It's really bizarre that they haven't released that out to all of Netflix Canada, as it works seamlessly, and I've had it available for months and months. Long enough to have 100+ items in my list.

It's good that you were able to get it sorted out!

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008

The Gunslinger posted:

can you still access canadian content? If so I may need to re-create my account as well.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Oh My Science posted:

can you still access canadian content? If so I may need to re-create my account as well.

I haven't really checked, I don't watch much Canadian specific content. Unblock-us has a toggle that lets you select which countries content you see though.

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008

The Gunslinger posted:

I haven't really checked, I don't watch much Canadian specific content. Unblock-us has a toggle that lets you select which countries content you see though.

Could you try this out and report back? I have a few shows that I watch which are canadian only, and I would like to know if the new interface interferes with that at all.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Oh My Science posted:

Could you try this out and report back? I have a few shows that I watch which are canadian only, and I would like to know if the new interface interferes with that at all.
Yes. You get access to the content for the country you are physically in at the time, regardless of origin, unless you are hiding you geo information.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Oh My Science posted:

What mediaphage said, I just tested it out. What sucks is that if you're using the CA version, it automatically gives you the CA interface without Instant Queue. When you go back to American DNS, it will give you the instant queue interface back though. So there is no way to get My List/Instant Queue without having your Canadian account specifically flagged OR just signing up as an American and using Unblock-us. Oh well, I am happy and I can just use the crappy Canadian interface for the odd Canadian show.

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008

The Gunslinger posted:

What mediaphage said, I just tested it out. What sucks is that if you're using the CA version, it automatically gives you the CA interface without Instant Queue. When you go back to American DNS, it will give you the instant queue interface back though. So there is no way to get My List/Instant Queue without having your Canadian account specifically flagged OR just signing up as an American and using Unblock-us. Oh well, I am happy and I can just use the crappy Canadian interface for the odd Canadian show.

This is exactly what I was hoping for. Thanks.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

The Gunslinger posted:

My experience with Netflix is almost as convoluted. I have an account registered while using unblock-us that was flagged as American, paid for with a Canadian CC. When my CC expired I couldn't update my info for the new card because it wouldn't take a postal code. I had to cancel the account, wait for the cancellation to happen, re-open the account with my new CC and now Netflix support tells me it's flagged as a Canadian account. After all of this I found there was a way to get it to work without having to jump through as many hoops too. I still have access to the American style interface and content while using unblock-us. I'm not a big fan of the new interface's look and feel, but the instant queue is great.

Does anyone have experience with using something like a mini pci-e modem in a laptop with a sim card out of one of those usb modems that Bell/Telus/Rogers offer for mobile internet connectivity? I called Bell to ask if I could use the sim card out of one in one of these internal modems and the tech I talked to didn't seem to understand what I was asking.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Fermented Tinal posted:

My experience with Netflix is almost as convoluted. I have an account registered while using unblock-us that was flagged as American, paid for with a Canadian CC. When my CC expired I couldn't update my info for the new card because it wouldn't take a postal code. I had to cancel the account, wait for the cancellation to happen, re-open the account with my new CC and now Netflix support tells me it's flagged as a Canadian account. After all of this I found there was a way to get it to work without having to jump through as many hoops too. I still have access to the American style interface and content while using unblock-us. I'm not a big fan of the new interface's look and feel, but the instant queue is great.

Does anyone have experience with using something like a mini pci-e modem in a laptop with a sim card out of one of those usb modems that Bell/Telus/Rogers offer for mobile internet connectivity? I called Bell to ask if I could use the sim card out of one in one of these internal modems and the tech I talked to didn't seem to understand what I was asking.

If your cell radio is unlocked, then you shouldn't have any trouble doing it. I'd activate it on the USB stick then transfer it over, though.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

mediaphage posted:

If your cell radio is unlocked, then you shouldn't have any trouble doing it. I'd activate it on the USB stick then transfer it over, though.

I'd rather not get the stick if I can avoid it though because it's $200. You get a better rate on the data if you buy the hardware up front, I really just want the data package and the sim card.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Fermented Tinal posted:

I'd rather not get the stick if I can avoid it though because it's $200. You get a better rate on the data if you buy the hardware up front, I really just want the data package and the sim card.

Then you wouldn't be taking the sim card out of a stick at all, so this question doesn't make any sense.

So go to Bell and ask for a sim, and get it activated.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
I just saw that the ultimate plan for Rogers went up to 150MB/s (and the price went up by a bit as well). The other plans stayed the same as far as i could see. Is there hope that the lower plans may get a speed boost? And with that, could that trickle down to Teksavvy?

http://www.rogers.com/web/link/hispeedBrowseFlowDefaultPlans

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
No. Not a chance atm.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
That reminds me, I need to call Rogers and find out why my Extreme account is still capped at 95 gigs, and not 120.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Bieeardo posted:

That reminds me, I need to call Rogers and find out why my Extreme account is still capped at 95 gigs, and not 120.

Everything about this sentence is painful.

Duke-Thane
Aug 7, 2008
I'm about to move and for the first time I'll be the one deciding on the internet instead of just moving into a place that already has a (lovely) plan. I'm so lost. Reading this thread is terrifying and making my head spin.

Anyone have any recommendations? I'm in downtown Toronto, and will be living with my boyfriend. We don't download very much but we're tired of slow internet. I have no idea who to go with and what to get. I'm having nightmares about lovely contracts and bullshit charges and poor customer service. Is there a thread for comparing Canadian providers? I haven't been able to find one.

For my own input, we're with Teksavvy now but it's been terribly slow, very unreliable going down often, and it literally took them over a month to get someone to come hook it up. Their customer service blamed bell every time we called saying they couldn't do anything about it. That's probably completely true but it shouldn't have been my problem to sort out. I understand that Teksavvy is the current favourite, and maybe I've just been unlucky. Pretty crappy experience overall though. The speed of the net even just randomly hops around.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
I'd suggest looking at the Cable package, unless its unavailable for your area. Though if its in someone elses name now, you might want to check to see how much it will cost to move the account, vs created a new account.

Had to pay some non trivial amount to get the account moved to my gf's new apartment.

TSI cable speeds in Mississauga have been pretty steady on the cable.

Good luck.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Don't some very select downtown TO locations have fiber?

Duke-Thane
Aug 7, 2008

Rawrbomb posted:

I'd suggest looking at the Cable package, unless its unavailable for your area. Though if its in someone elses name now, you might want to check to see how much it will cost to move the account, vs created a new account.

Had to pay some non trivial amount to get the account moved to my gf's new apartment.

TSI cable speeds in Mississauga have been pretty steady on the cable.

Good luck.

We'd be creating a new account. It's not under our name in any way and we don't want the same package.

mediaphage posted:

Don't some very select downtown TO locations have fiber?

I don't think so. For sure we couldn't afford it if it were available. Most of the time here it's "Fiber powered" or some other buzz term meaning the fiber goes down the street but from the line to your house is regular. Kind of a scam.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!

Duke-Thane posted:

I don't think so. For sure we couldn't afford it if it were available. Most of the time here it's "Fiber powered" or some other buzz term meaning the fiber goes down the street but from the line to your house is regular. Kind of a scam.

No much like vancouver some highrises have actual fiber to the apartment service but its very limited and very much depends on the building but most of the time it just a 1 gbps ethernet port in your apartment not a fiber hookup.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Fermented Tinal posted:

My experience with Netflix is almost as convoluted. I have an account registered while using unblock-us that was flagged as American, paid for with a Canadian CC. When my CC expired I couldn't update my info for the new card because it wouldn't take a postal code. I had to cancel the account, wait for the cancellation to happen, re-open the account with my new CC and now Netflix support tells me it's flagged as a Canadian account. After all of this I found there was a way to get it to work without having to jump through as many hoops too.

I want to reflag my account as American. How did you get it to work?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Bieeardo posted:

Funny story, similar situation finally convinced my parents to ditch Rogers for good.

Despite getting upped to 80GB last month, Rogers charged them for going over 60GB. When they called to ask why, they were told they couldn't get the higher cap until they pay Rogers for a new modem and wait for a support person to come install it, because their current modem "runs out of bits after 60GB and can't support the higher cap" :suicide:

Needless to say, they've now got an antenna strapped to their roof for TV, and TekSavvy is being installed as soon as the Rogers cancellation goes through.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I could understand that from a throughput perspective, since I'm on an old DOCSIS 2 I bought when they started charging rental fees, but that cap explanation is utter garbage.

Of course, from what I remember of other people trying to register decent third-party modems with Rogers, their whole registration and provisioning system is such a shambles that it probably doesn't even allow for upgrades beyond a certain point.

Not to mention that taking the bait means getting another couple of years added to your contract. Funny, that.

I'm not even going to bother now. I'll just budget for a switch over to Teksavvy in the new year.

Vaginal Engineer
Jan 23, 2007

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

When they called to ask why, they were told they couldn't get the higher cap until they pay Rogers for a new modem and wait for a support person to come install it, because their current modem "runs out of bits after 60GB and can't support the higher cap" :suicide:

That's amazing. Although, it suggests that there are people out there (including Roger's employees) who don't understand that bandwidth caps are completely made up :sigh:

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Mantle posted:

I want to reflag my account as American. How did you get it to work?

I think you have to start with an American account, what I was referring to apparently only works for Hulu. As for what I did to have an American flagged account in the first place, I had unblock-us setup, and registered normally. Netflix let me pay for the account with a Canadian CC, the only issue I came across was when my card expired.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Nov 13, 2012

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
You definitely have to start with an American account. Setup unblock-us first (test it detects you properly on their site) then signup for Netflix using a US address and specify USA as your country. If you don't then it will let you see US content with unblock-us but your account will be flagged with the CDN interface. I tried a dozen different ways to get around it and ultimately had to just cancel my old account and start over with a new one.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

So I may have figured out why my Teksavvy internet's been so flaky. Bell, it seems, pairs its high-end 25 megabit service with a Cellpipe 7130, an astronomically poo poo modem/wireless router combo. I managed to reconfigure everything to the point where the Cellpipe 7130 works as a dumb modem, but it still does random disconnects and reboots. Discussion I tracked down online suggests some alternate modems, with the caveat that it depends on the specific DSLAM in my area (whether its Ikanos-based or Broadcom-based). Judging by the firmware the Cellpipe originally came with, it looks like the DSLAM is Ikanos-based, and I found a suggestion for a ZyXEL P870M-I1-VDSL2 as a third-party modem that works under this circumstance. I'm trying to track down a distributor that I can return the modem to in some capacity, even if a restocking fee is required, so I don't get burned too badly if it doesn't work, but I was wondering if anyone's pulled off a similar modem swap using VDSL.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
Weird. I also use unblock-us, but recently I've been sticking with the Canadian Netflix more often than the US. Community, Justified, and a whole crapload of newer releases that aren't on the US version as well as a lot of classics like Das Boot.

That said, I'm sure this is partially a "grass is always greener" feeling and that the selection is paltry. Probably because our licensing up here is garbage. I know zip.ca and a few other competitors have completely dropped their plans on making a competing service.

thexerox123 posted:

It definitely doesn't have everything. I did a search in that first link for The X-Files, which I've been watching on Netflix in Canada, and it didn't come up. Same with Misfits.
Yeah, you can't use instantwatcher as a viable comparison. If it's a different version or distributor, then it doesn't show up as Canada having it. Not to mention that anything the Canadian one carries and the US doesn't, it's not listed at all.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Vaginal Engineer posted:

That's amazing. Although, it suggests that there are people out there (including Roger's employees) who don't understand that bandwidth caps are completely made up :sigh:

It's not really surprising. People are still afraid of tinkering with their devices out of fear that they might uncover the secret self-destruct button or something. I've become the go-to computer and networking guy in the family even though I've only built one computer so far and have a 40k Techpriest-like grasp of software and network problems.

That's like having a PhD by the average person's standards.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Thought this would be the most appropriate place for this:

Company collects data on millions of illegal downloaders in first step to crack down on piracy in Canada

Unlike troll lawsuits in the EU & US, this appears to be a somewhat legitimate enterprise back up with surprising force. Needless to say, I am displeased.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Rime posted:

Company collects data on millions of illegal downloaders in first step to crack down on piracy in Canada

Unlike troll lawsuits in the EU & US, this appears to be a somewhat legitimate enterprise back up with surprising force. Needless to say, I am displeased.

We couldn't regress further and further backward any faster if we tried.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

univbee posted:

So I may have figured out why my Teksavvy internet's been so flaky.

Just to follow up on this, I discovered that Bell phased out the Cellpipe modems for its main subscribers a while back, and more recently, has started offering them to Teksavvy subscribers. They don't trade them "just because" but will do it if you have a history of problems. Since I did, they shipped one of the new Sagemcom modems to me and I should get it next week. Hopefully it'll resolve the issues I've experienced.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

The Gunslinger posted:

You definitely have to start with an American account. Setup unblock-us first (test it detects you properly on their site) then signup for Netflix using a US address and specify USA as your country. If you don't then it will let you see US content with unblock-us but your account will be flagged with the CDN interface. I tried a dozen different ways to get around it and ultimately had to just cancel my old account and start over with a new one.
Wait, the US gets a different interface? Is it really that big of a deal when the content is where you'll spend 99% of your time (aside from guys like me who browse for 20min and give up)?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Shumagorath posted:

Wait, the US gets a different interface? Is it really that big of a deal when the content is where you'll spend 99% of your time (aside from guys like me who browse for 20min and give up)?

It's mostly the same but yes it matters. They get access to Instant Queue which lets you create a personalized set of content in no time flat and IMHO is vastly superior to Recommended Lists. You can create a set of bookmarked stuff to watch on your lunch break then dig into it when you get home instead of manually searching or trolling the recommended tabs for content. Some CDN users get it as well (its called My List) but its been in a closed trial for over two years already.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

The Gunslinger posted:

It's mostly the same but yes it matters. They get access to Instant Queue which lets you create a personalized set of content in no time flat and IMHO is vastly superior to Recommended Lists. You can create a set of bookmarked stuff to watch on your lunch break then dig into it when you get home instead of manually searching or trolling the recommended tabs for content. Some CDN users get it as well (its called My List) but its been in a closed trial for over two years already.

FWIW, I had 'My List' for a long time, but I recently contacted Netflix support to complain about the fact that Canada isn't getting new Arrested Development, and they ended up offering to sign me up for some things they're testing... not long after, and My List is suddenly calling itself Instant Queue.

So, try contacting them and complaining? It's not necessarily a closed trial anymore.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

For nearly two years Bell has not been accepting new customers around here because they are out of bandwidth. A new line was supposed to be laid and operational this fall. As of yesterday the best guess for new connections is 'April'.

Good job Bell. Assholes. :thumbsup:

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

thexerox123 posted:

FWIW, I had 'My List' for a long time, but I recently contacted Netflix support to complain about the fact that Canada isn't getting new Arrested Development, and they ended up offering to sign me up for some things they're testing... not long after, and My List is suddenly calling itself Instant Queue.

So, try contacting them and complaining? It's not necessarily a closed trial anymore.

I did, he was quoting an old post of mine. Three different support people told me they couldn't change the account interface flags so I just signed up for an american account using unblock-us and got the US interface. It's auto flagged based on your origin IP and billing address at account signup so it's the easiest way to make sure you get it.

It really made a huge difference in how much we got out of Netflix too, the ability to quickly make a big personalized queue is great. They were talking awhile ago about getting rid of it entirely for all users in favored of the recommended lists but I find the latter to be very hit and miss. I think they would have another user revolt on their hands if they tried to can the queue features too, most people in the US I've talked to love it. If anything I think they should be rushing to get it out to everyone in Canada, one of the biggest complaints I hear from people is about lack of content but the Queue + auto recommendations would probably solve that quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head

Rime posted:

What a waste of resources when getting enough reasonable doubt in these cases is easy. Using these resources to make a more appealing product seems too productive, I suppose.