Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Policenaut posted:

Europe gets a special ZombiU bundle, Japan gets a Monster Hunter Tri Ultimate bundle, America gets ?????.

Hardware shortages probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Bobnumerotres posted:

A lot of people are forgetting that the deluxe comes with 10% back on digital purchases. Two fifty dollar titles will get you a 10 buck game or DLC, and it lasts till 2014.

The end of 2014, so two years.

Rueish
Feb 27, 2009

Gone

but not forgotten.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

New Super Mario Bros is probably your best bet - something you can play with your girlfriend. Don't forget the Deluxe comes with Nintendo Land as well. (Or is it ZombiU in the US?)

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's what I'm actually going to end up getting. I didn't really play much of the other New Super Mario Bros games so it won't feel like too much of a rehash for me.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I dropped my Amazon preorder. Frankly, I think it's too expensive considering what it's offering. When a 3D Mario (or at least a more inspired Mario than those NSMB games) or a Zelda game is announced, I might reconsider, but right now I'll hold back.

And then I'm not even sure a Zelda game is enough. I got so burned on those two DS games I never got around to Skyward Sword.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Iacen posted:

And then I'm not even sure a Zelda game is enough. I got so burned on those two DS games I never got around to Skyward Sword.

As someone who was very disappointed with Phantom Hourglass, I'd go as far as to say Skyward Sword redeemed the series.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Iacen posted:

I dropped my Amazon preorder. Frankly, I think it's too expensive considering what it's offering. When a 3D Mario (or at least a more inspired Mario than those NSMB games) or a Zelda game is announced, I might reconsider, but right now I'll hold back.

You haven't missed much - Skyward Sword's a bag of missed opportunities and disappointment.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You haven't missed much - Skyward Sword's a bag of missed opportunities and disappointment.

The only disapointing thing about Skyward Sword was that you didn't get to play as Zelda. :colbert:

I mean the game actually added depth to the characters DEPTH. Zelda did things instead of just being held captive.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Vaerai Archon posted:

The only disapointing thing about Skyward Sword was that you didn't get to play as Zelda. :colbert:

I mean the game actually added depth to the characters DEPTH. Zelda did things instead of just being held captive.

Fi, three zones that became repetitive real fast and the potential of the bird was utterly untapped (A big part of the prologue is about their bond, then it's completely dropped). The combat's a major step back from Twilight Princess as well. Zelda herself was a nice proactive character, but that doesn't help the rest of the game.

Policenaut posted:

Europe gets a special ZombiU bundle, Japan gets a Monster Hunter Tri Ultimate bundle, America gets ?????.

America gets it first by a solid two weeks :argh:

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Vaerai Archon posted:

How about the frustrating controls? The fetch quests? The musical notes thing? There was so much wrong with that game.

Twilight Princess just stuck with what worked and only added Wii stuff where it wouldn't damage the game. Skyward Sword just used it everywhere and hoped some of it would work, no matter what the result was.

I really wouldn't be disappointed if the next Zelda game uses the Wii U tablet as a map and that's it. No motion controls, no crazy interaction. If it ensures no more stuff like flying the bird with motion controls I can live with aiming my bow with the controller instead of pointing.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I wouldn't write off Nintendo Land as a pack in game guys, considering every successive hands on preview finds more and more depth and content in the game. It has a lot more levels and a lot more satisfying single player than we initially thought from E3.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The motion controls WORKED in Skyward Sword. I don't know what everyone else was doing. The combat BENEFITED from them. I HATED, in other Zelda games, the long waits between dungeons; in SS, the whole overworld is a dungeon or several and it's hella fun.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Vaerai Archon posted:

Sounds like you should have played Spirit Tracks. You get both of those things there, and the central dungeon is a thousand times less tedious than the Temple of the Ocean King in Phantom Hourglass. :colbert:

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

No idea how people found the controls frustrating, they were responsive as hell, the only thing I had trouble with was the bird, and that was only in the beginning. Also the musical notes were fine, that was like one little part and it was ridiculously easy.

If the next Zelda doesn't carry on with the motion controls of SS, maybe give you more degrees of freedom with the slashes and add it some specials like in TP, then I'd be seriously disappointed.

The bird really didn't need motion controls, that was pointless. I mean sure, control it with tilts, but the waggle to flap was stupid.

Balobam fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Oct 22, 2012

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Man I really hope they give us an hd Wind Waker. They could even put the tingle tuner on the gamepad. I just hope they wouldn't charge sixty bucks for it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Artix74 posted:

Sounds like you should have played Spirit Tracks. You get both of those things there, and the central dungeon is a thousand times less tedious than the Temple of the Ocean King in Phantom Hourglass. :colbert:

Doesn't stop it from being the worst Zelda game that's not on the CDi.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

greatn posted:

Man I really hope they give us an hd Wind Waker. They could even put the tingle tuner on the gamepad. I just hope they wouldn't charge sixty bucks for it.

Considering the eShop's apparently getting gamecube games, you'd be more likely to see just a port through that. Using the Tingle Tuner through the gamepad would be nice though.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Despite the tedious nature of that main dungeon, I actually rather liked Phantom Hourglass... especially when, at the end, it tied together with Link's Awakening and the Wind Fish!

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Considering the eShop's apparently getting gamecube games, you'd be more likely to see just a port through that. Using the Tingle Tuner through the gamepad would be nice though.

I'm so used to enhanced remakes that simple downloadable ports would be extremely disappointing. They should be 16:9 aspect and HD(preferably 1080p) at a minimum. Metal Gear Solid collection is really my gold standard. Above mentioned enhancements and two games for $20.

Oh and of course I'd want Gamepad play. None of this "You're running in gamecube mode" stuff.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Certainly they'll do both. Depending on how much people love downloading the newer Zelda titles compared to the original and Link to the Past on the Wii, they may not even need to. I know sales overall online for the Wii were an embarrassment but the top selling games on there were basically Zelda 1 and Mario 3 from the minute they became available til now. With that kind of popularity I don't think they'd even bother remaking any of their stuff.

BioTech posted:

How about the frustrating controls? The fetch quests? The musical notes thing? There was so much wrong with that game.

Twilight Princess just stuck with what worked and only added Wii stuff where it wouldn't damage the game. Skyward Sword just used it everywhere and hoped some of it would work, no matter what the result was.

I really wouldn't be disappointed if the next Zelda game uses the Wii U tablet as a map and that's it. No motion controls, no crazy interaction. If it ensures no more stuff like flying the bird with motion controls I can live with aiming my bow with the controller instead of pointing.

I found the controls to be really good myself (especially when compared to Twilight Sword on the Wii). What I didn't like about it was the way the game was structured. They had this premise with the entire overworld being a dungeon and having the open skies to explore and yet, there's basically no exploration in the game.

I really do hope Nintendo does what it did with their earlier games and let you use any controller combination for anything they publish. Especially since most of their games' controls are refined enough that there's no way you don't have enough buttons on the pro controller to make it happensd.

greatn posted:

I wouldn't write off Nintendo Land as a pack in game guys, considering every successive hands on preview finds more and more depth and content in the game. It has a lot more levels and a lot more satisfying single player than we initially thought from E3.

At any conference or whatever I've been to Nintendo has emphasized this, their along the lines of it not being just a collection of mini-games but a huge world to explore with tons of content and things to find. I figured it was just exaggerated marketing but this will be great if there's a straight up game in there too. I think we were talking about it earlier but I hope with all the games from different Nintendo franchises it has some sort of Namco Museum (well the first few volumes from the PS1 at least) kind of structure to it where you can learn about the history of their classic games and stuff.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Neo Rasa posted:

At any conference or whatever I've been to Nintendo has emphasized this, their along the lines of it not being just a collection of mini-games but a huge world to explore with tons of content and things to find. I figured it was just exaggerated marketing but this will be great if there's a straight up game in there too. I think we were talking about it earlier but I hope with all the games from different Nintendo franchises it has some sort of Namco Museum (well the first few volumes from the PS1 at least) kind of structure to it where you can learn about the history of their classic games and stuff.

As a side note, the Genesis/Megadrive collection on the PS3/Xbox does a really good job of this as well.

I found the controls in the Wii version of Twilight Princess to be perfectly fine. Admittedly that drat flying bit is terrible, but for general combat it's functional. And that was my complaint about the game too - there's no exploration. Even TP had little secret activities and things nestled everywhere through the world. Skyward Sword tried to consolidate them into the town, but that just made it a boring hub for fetch quests for gear improvements.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Neo Rasa posted:

Certainly they'll do both. Depending on how much people love downloading the newer Zelda titles compared to the original and Link to the Past on the Wii, they may not even need to. I know sales overall online for the Wii were an embarrassment but the top selling games on there were basically Zelda 1 and Mario 3 from the minute they became available til now. With that kind of popularity I don't think they'd even bother remaking any of their stuff.

I found the controls to be really good myself (especially when compared to Twilight Sword on the Wii). What I didn't like about it was the way the game was structured. They had this premise with the entire overworld being a dungeon and having the open skies to explore and yet, there's basically no exploration in the game.

I really do hope Nintendo does what it did with their earlier games and let you use any controller combination for anything they publish. Especially since most of their games' controls are refined enough that there's no way you don't have enough buttons on the pro controller to make it happensd.

Nintendoland is conceptually brilliant, because it serves the same purpose as WiiSports but in a different presentation that suits Nintendo's revised goals. With WiiSports they wanted to stir interested in their products among non-traditional gamer demographics by presenting their hardware in a highly accessible fashion. Nintendoland does the same thing, but instead of just presenting their hardware it does the same for their software. By basing the various elements of Nintendoland on existing Nintendo franchises they're hoping to get the average casual Wii gamer, who maybe never thought of playing Zelda or Star Fox, to say "hey I liked this Nintendoland Metroid thing. Maybe I'll buy this Metroid WiiU game that's coming out!"

It could also be used to measure customer demand for their franchises. If the Nintendoland F-Zero game is really popular maybe Nintendo makes a new F-Zero game?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I've heard the F Zero one is kind of terrible actually but that is just from one IGN podcast and the guy who didn't like it sounded kind of grognardy. I hope Nintendo had some way oto track which games are played a lot so they can see what people like. I know these kinds of benchmarks are actually one of the main purposes of achievements

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

greatn posted:

I've heard the F Zero one is kind of terrible actually but that is just from one IGN podcast and the guy who didn't like it sounded kind of grognardy. I hope Nintendo had some way oto track which games are played a lot so they can see what people like. I know these kinds of benchmarks are actually one of the main purposes of achievements

That probably won't happen. There are buttloads of games that Japan got that Nintendo did not want to publish outside of Japan. Nintendo has also never made a game exclusive to America that Japan and/or the UK didn't get.

So if they're going to make a game based on popularity, it's more than likely going to be towards what the Japanese want.

Vaerai Archon fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Oct 22, 2012

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

japtor posted:

For anyone interested in NG3's changes, this is probably the most detailed rundown of them I've seen:
http://www.2d-x.com/ninja-gaiden-3-razors-edge-for-wii-u-jusr-keeps-getting-better/

I am entirely lukewarm on Wii U right now, and "preview" is games journalism speak for "shilling," but it is going to be hilarious if Nintendo ends up with both Bayonetta 2 and the only playable version of Ninja Gaiden 3.

Actually, I really like this model of Nintendo buying up the rights to publish underselling/flawed games/sequels themselves and fixing them up. I hope they run with it. If I could end up getting Bulletstorm and Lollipop Chainsaw sequels ONLY ON WII U, I would love it. I'd let Rod Serling play 2P when he walked in, because I'd also clearly be in the twilight zone.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Vaerai Archon posted:

That probably won't happen. There are buttloads of games that Japan got that Nintendo did not want to publish outside of Japan. Nintendo has also never made a game exclusive to America that Japan and/or the UK didn't get.

So if they're going to make a game based on popularity it's more than likely going to be towards what the Japanese want.

Startropics, I think was an american exclusive. Long time ago though.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

greatn posted:

As much as it pains me to point out and help bolster Vaerai Archon's blanket proclamation, it was released in Europe.

[edit] However, here is a list of Nintendo games exclusive to the US: http://nintendo.wikia.com/wiki/Category:North_America_exclusive_games

testtubebaby fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Oct 22, 2012

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

greatn posted:

Startropics was released in PAL regions.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.

greatn posted:

I'd buy the poo poo out of that, especially if they put the item hotkeys and charts on the touchscreen.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

As a side note, the Genesis/Megadrive collection on the PS3/Xbox does a really good job of this as well.

I found the controls in the Wii version of Twilight Princess to be perfectly fine. Admittedly that drat flying bit is terrible, but for general combat it's functional. And that was my complaint about the game too - there's no exploration. Even TP had little secret activities and things nestled everywhere through the world. Skyward Sword tried to consolidate them into the town, but that just made it a boring hub for fetch quests for gear improvements.
Skyward Sword's design decisions make a lot of sense considering the reaction to Twlight Princess, really. Motion controls pointless and just feel like they could be a button press? Have motion EVERYTHING! An huge but mostly empty overworld? The entire Overworld is a huge dungeon! The game tries to hard to ape Ocarina and ALTTP? Now for something completely different: prehistory.

It didn't all quite work, obviously. The pacing feels off because so much time is spent in the overworld, the motion controls didn't always work, and Fi's constant handholding was bothersome.

Hopefully Wii U Zelda will find a nice middle ground. At the very least, they'll finally no longer be constrained by ~2001 graphics tech.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

thexerox123 posted:

Despite the tedious nature of that main dungeon, I actually rather liked Phantom Hourglass... especially when, at the end, it tied together with Link's Awakening and the Wind Fish!

Would you spoil it for me? I adore Link's Awakening (It's the best Zelda game ever made), but I would never try to play Phantom Hourglass again.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

greatn posted:

They will, and that price will never go down.

This is what terrifies me about Nintendo trying digital distribution. Bargain bin games for full price and not a single discount above 5%.

I've seen DS launch games still being sold in shops for £30. Nintendo's prices are so rock solid that I've been hoping for hyperinflation just so I can afford to play them.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

That loving Sned posted:

I've seen DS launch games still being sold in shops for £30. Nintendo's prices are so rock solid that I've been hoping for hyperinflation just so I can afford to play them.

You need to just learn where to shop for videogames....like at bookstores.

I got super Mario Galaxy 2 and a bunch of other Wii games at Barnes and Nobles for 50%-75% off. Brand new copy too and probably cheaper than it will ever be 3 years from now.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I was actually surprised when I bought Brawl a couple months ago for $35 instead of 50.

I'd probably play a Wind Waker remake if they upped the difficulty in some way. The game is probably one of my favorite Zelda's but the difficulty was just too easy.

Also requesting spoilers for Phantom.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Iacen posted:

Would you spoil it for me? I adore Link's Awakening (It's the best Zelda game ever made), but I would never try to play Phantom Hourglass again.

If I recall correctly... at the very end, one of the characters takes his true form as a whale-god ("The Ocean King") that can grant wishes, and it's shown to have been a dreamworld (or was it?).

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
Phantom Hourglass is actually a very good game and I would definitely recommend giving it a go. Spirit Tracks is... not great.

Watching the Four Sword Adventure LP by the Sonic 06 team yesterday, I'd love to see that concept revisited on the Wii U. First of all the game is gorgeous (low-res sprites not withstanding), and getting four players together would be easier on the Wii U with the Gamepad, online, and potential 3DS interaction. I doubt it would ever happen, but I think Nintendo would be fools to pass it up.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Chaltab posted:

Skyward Sword's design decisions make a lot of sense considering the reaction to Twlight Princess, really. Motion controls pointless and just feel like they could be a button press? Have motion EVERYTHING! An huge but mostly empty overworld? The entire Overworld is a huge dungeon! The game tries to hard to ape Ocarina and ALTTP? Now for something completely different: prehistory.

It didn't all quite work, obviously. The pacing feels off because so much time is spent in the overworld, the motion controls didn't always work, and Fi's constant handholding was bothersome.

Hopefully Wii U Zelda will find a nice middle ground. At the very least, they'll finally no longer be constrained by ~2001 graphics tech.

I felt like Twilight Princess was constantly trying to compensate for Wind Waker's slight lack of content, and ended up with a bunch of mindless poo poo that was not fun and had no business being in the game. I still haven't gotten myself to play past the time shifting dungeon of Skyward Sword but I just can't stand the idea of a dungeon overworld. It just feels like the game constantly throwing roadblocks at me that don't feel very important compared to what I want to be doing at the time.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

The bird can drop you off at any save point on the map :ssh:

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Pretty much every 3D Zelda barring Majora's Mask seems to be overcompensating for some perceived flaw of the previous title that pissed off somebody. Wind Waker tried to make up for the Adult timeline with a very young Link and cel-shaded graphics, Twilight Princess made up for haters of that game with a dumb grimdark storyline and a presentation very similar to OoT, and SS tried to address all the criticisms of TP as previous posters have explained.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Chronojam posted:

The bird can drop you off at any save point on the map :ssh:

Except when it can't because of plot and you're forced to backtrack(a good deal of the time).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
But people loved the adult timeline in OoT. Wind Waker was making up for every prior Zelda game not being quite awesome or beautiful enough.

• Locked thread