Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Ghost Cactus posted:

Yay! Where did you get to see the whoopers?

Hahaha, I cheat with these guys. I've been photographing a pair of whooping cranes all year at the International Crane Foundation in Baraboo, WI. They're a captive pair, so I can get like 5 feet away from them and get some great shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006

Casu Marzu posted:

Hahaha, I cheat with these guys. I've been photographing a pair of whooping cranes all year at the International Crane Foundation in Baraboo, WI. They're a captive pair, so I can get like 5 feet away from them and get some great shots.

Oh wow. That's really cool, and your photos of them are great. I want to get to east Texas this winter so I can be disappointed after I don't see any.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Ghost Cactus posted:

Very nice indeed - Golden Eagles are huge!

I haven't gotten out enough to say for sure, but migration seems weird/slow this fall.

Ash-throated Flycatcher, maybe?

DSC_9321 by Ghost Cactus, on Flickr

I'd actually guess a kingbird on this. Posture seems better (more horizontal), and the ash-throated always have a bit punked up feathers on top. I'm no expert, but the deeply forked tail suggests Couches or Tropical. However, it also looks like a juvie, so not sure I could really exclude the others in the Western kingbird group.

Anyway, nice photos!

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

BetterLekNextTime posted:

I'd actually guess a kingbird on this. Posture seems better (more horizontal), and the ash-throated always have a bit punked up feathers on top. I'm no expert, but the deeply forked tail suggests Couches or Tropical. However, it also looks like a juvie, so not sure I could really exclude the others in the Western kingbird group.

Anyway, nice photos!

Pretty sure it's a fly-catcher of some sort. Not a kingbird at all. Their bellies aren't colored like that.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Kingbird =/= Kingfisher. Kingbirds are a kind of flycatcher.

Western Kingbird:

WesternKingbird on Flickr

To be honest, it was the vague similarity to my photo (clouds and blue sky in the background) that first made me think Kingbird rather than a Myarchus of some sort.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Kingbird =/= Kingfisher. Kingbirds are a kind of flycatcher.

Western Kingbird:

WesternKingbird on Flickr

To be honest, it was the vague similarity to my photo (clouds and blue sky in the background) that first made me think Kingbird rather than a Myarchus of some sort.

Oops, you are right. When I think kingbird, I think Eastern Kingbird.

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006

Anyway, nice photos!

Thanks! Kingbird makes sense now. At first I had it IDed as a Western Kingbird because they're all over down here, and then I thought better of it when I didn't see a white throat. If it is a Couch's or Tropical, that'd be cool because I'm in El Paso.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Casu Marzu posted:

That's funny. I got to that shot and was like, "That looks like a Whooping Crane, but there's no way you could get that close to one. It must be some weird Eurasian species I'm unfamiliar with and he's posting from Europe." That's pretty cool that you can get that close to a Whooping Crane, albeit captive ones.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Frustrated that I missed this shot due to the sun searing the eyes from my skull

DSC_2782.jpg by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

Should probably have shot a bit wider here

DSC_2780.jpg by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Fart Amplifier posted:

Frustrated that I missed this shot due to the sun searing the eyes from my skull

DSC_2782.jpg by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr
I don't think you missed the shot here. Crop/clone out that left bird and you've got a very pleasing scene imo.

Now this is a missed shot:

Some others from yesterday:

icechris
Aug 26, 2008

Nothing is hotter than a chick who could kill you with her bare hands
Since getting my camera probably about 1 in 3 photos I've taken have been birds

River Loddon:

River Loddon by icechris023, on Flickr

River Loddon by icechris023, on Flickr
Took these two today when I got bored and decided to go for a walk

The Vyne:

Gulls by icechris023, on Flickr
This is the first decent pic I've managed to get of birds in flight. Usually they come out with motion blur or out of focus.

Duck by icechris023, on Flickr
This duck was less than two foot away for some of the photos I took of it, think its a bit further away with zoom on this one though.

Marwell Wildlife:

Marwell Wildlife 1/9 by icechris023, on Flickr

Marwell Zoo 1/9 by icechris023, on Flickr

Marwell Zoo 1/9 by icechris023, on Flickr
This Kookaburra tried attacking me shortly before this photo as I walked through its enclosure

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Not the most exciting bird...

House Sparrow by Paul Frederiksen, on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Shot through a dirty window, and lots of other technical problems with these, but I still kinda like them. American Goldfinches and Pine Siskins eating in my weedy yard.

finches_oct2012_f 619 by alankrakauer, on Flickr

finches_oct2012_f 611 by alankrakauer, on Flickr

finches_oct2012_f 612 by alankrakauer, on Flickr

finches_oct2012_f 613 by alankrakauer, on Flickr

finches_oct2012_f 614 by alankrakauer, on Flickr

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Went to Sidney, BC over the weekend

Pelagic Cormorant hangout by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Pelagic Cormorant by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Pelagic Cormorant hangout by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Great Blue Heron by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Not sure what kind of birds these are, little help?

20121006-DSC_0364 by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Those would be European starlings, Sturnus vulgaris.

They were introduced to North America in New York in 1890, and have successfully colonized most of the continent.

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
A sunny day in the garden

heavy crop here

annas_hummer_oct2012 611 by alankrakauer, on Flickr

annas_hummer_oct2012 612 by alankrakauer, on Flickr

our local siskin invasion is still on

siskin_portrait 613 by alankrakauer, on Flickr

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Shot up to Conowingo Dam in northern Maryland today to check out the eagles. Still a bit slow...only ~10 eagles so far. Going to head back up next month.

Bald Eagles Fight over Fish by Paul Frederiksen, on Flickr

Bald Eagle with Fish by Paul Frederiksen, on Flickr

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money

I've heard they they are actually playing with the fish to hone their skills (similar to how lion cubs sometimes play rough). I haven't actually seen it myself, but that could be because I haven't been out in ~year.

Thanks for sharing.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Bahama.Llama posted:

I've heard they they are actually playing with the fish to hone their skills (similar to how lion cubs sometimes play rough). I haven't actually seen it myself, but that could be because I haven't been out in ~year.

Thanks for sharing.

They try to get the other bird to drop the fish back into the water so that it's easy to steal. They succeed pretty often.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I saw two eagles harassing an osprey with a fish this summer in Tetons NP. An adult eagle caught the fish in mid-air when it dropped. It was pretty bad-rear end, but unfortunately impossible to photograph.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Had a few hours to myself so I went to the park

Never seen one of these. I think it's a ring neck duck which migrate to AZ during the winter.

small-9236 by jankyangles, on Flickr

small-9303 by jankyangles, on Flickr

and

small-9232 by jankyangles, on Flickr

small-9133 by jankyangles, on Flickr

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Had a few hours to myself so I went to the park

Never seen one of these. I think it's a ring neck duck which migrate to AZ during the winter.

Yep, that's what it is, has a 'deer in headlights' look to it in those shots

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

:stare:

doodle_duck_dandy
Sep 20, 2006
http://burrator.gov.uk/

Some feed was put down to lure the birds in, it does help the focus and shot setup.

D800 with 300mm f2.8, set to 1/4000th f4 and max iso of 6400.

DSC_1368 by HelloWorldEp1, on Flickr

burst of light dropped the iso very low + nice glow.

DSC_1323 by HelloWorldEp1, on Flickr

DSC_1279 by HelloWorldEp1, on Flickr

went up to f5.6 for the jay as it is bigger, dropped to 1/1000th

DSC_1383 by HelloWorldEp1, on Flickr

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
There are a bunch of these guys at the top of Queen's Domain, in Hobart, Tasmania. I'm not from 'round here, so everything looks completely alien to me. Anyone know what this is? I'm pretty sure it's some kind of lorikeet, but not a Rainbow lorikeet, which is pretty much the only species I can find pictures of.

Queens Domain 96 by Execudork, on Flickr

Queens Domain 94 by Execudork, on Flickr

\/\/\/ Thanks! Googling "rosella" gives me Platycercus eximus.

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Nov 10, 2012

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
That is a Rosella :)

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Just some silly bird.

Bald Eagle Hunting at Conowingo Dam by Paul Frederiksen, on Flickr

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I have acquired a field guide for Tasmanian birds, so I can identify a few things I've shot recently:

Queens Domain 107 by Execudork, on Flickr
Australian Magpie

Queens Domain 48 by Execudork, on Flickr
Yellow Wattlebird

SD 106 Tasman Peninsula 78 by Execudork, on Flickr
White-faced Heron

SD 106 Tasman Peninsula 72 by Execudork, on Flickr
Pied Oystercatchers

doodle_duck_dandy
Sep 20, 2006

Untitled by HelloWorldEp1, on Flickr

hooded crow shot in churchill park Copenhagen

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I drove 1.5 hours out of the city last night with my car loaded up with astrophotography gear, and on the way saw a great horned owl and a snowy owl -- both posing on the top of poles during the golden hour of sunset. Last winter I drove thousands of kilometres everywhere hunting for a snowy owl (unsuccessfully).

Of course I didn't have any normal photography gear. :argh:

I'm going back today with full gear so here's hoping!

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

InternetJunky posted:

I drove 1.5 hours out of the city last night with my car loaded up with astrophotography gear, and on the way saw a great horned owl and a snowy owl -- both posing on the top of poles during the golden hour of sunset. Last winter I drove thousands of kilometres everywhere hunting for a snowy owl (unsuccessfully).

You seem surprised, this is known as "photographers luck".

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

InternetJunky posted:

7 hours of driving, but I got my first owl!

:cripes:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

InternetJunky posted:

on the way saw a great horned owl and a snowy owl -- both posing on the top of poles during the golden hour of sunset. Last winter I drove thousands of kilometres everywhere hunting for a snowy owl (unsuccessfully).
May I take this opportunity to say "I told you so"?

I will also say that I've never seen a great horned owl when out driving o'er the wide empty prairie - I hope you can get some shots in good light.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

InternetJunky posted:

You're in Edmonton, right? Check around Nisku/Leduc and the airport. My dad works primarily out of Nisku and said that last winter there was a snowy owl hanging around this one same spot all the time somewhere in the park. I've seen Snowy Owls along the chainlink fence by the airport.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
A few more Tasmanian birds, including one endemic:

SD 107 Gordon River Dam 44 by Execudork, on Flickr
Black Currawong (endemic)

SD 107 Gordon River Dam 6 by Execudork, on Flickr
Australian Pelican

SD 107 Gordon River Dam 4 by Execudork, on Flickr
Black Swan

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Went to the Calgary Zoo yesterday:

King Penguin by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Gentoo Penguins by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Gentoo Penguins by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Gentoo Penguin by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

ExecuDork posted:

A few more Tasmanian birds, including one endemic:
I've been enjoying your bird pics from Tasmanian. That place is high on my bucket list.

neckbeard posted:

Went to the Calgary Zoo yesterday:
I went to see the penguins earlier this year. The zoo really made a great exhibit although one of the little bastards pushed its body half over the glass and shot a stream of water my way that almost soaked my camera.

neckbeard posted:

You're in Edmonton, right? Check around Nisku/Leduc and the airport. My dad works primarily out of Nisku and said that last winter there was a snowy owl hanging around this one same spot all the time somewhere in the park. I've seen Snowy Owls along the chainlink fence by the airport.
Thanks for the tip. Are they usually out in the day? I went driving for four hours on every country road between Nisku and Devon yesterday without luck though. I did see a hawk on a pole, which was surprising since I thought they all migrated. The only bird I got a shot of yesterday was this big bird:

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004
My aunt just sold me an Olympus E-PL1 and a 14-42mm (28-84?) lens, so I'm going to start trying to learn to photograph birds (to photograph anything well, really). I figure taking pictures of birds at a feeder is cheating, but I have to learn somehow.

Pine siskin by dopameanie, on Flickr

Black-capped chickadee by dopameanie, on Flickr

Cardinal by dopameanie, on Flickr

Hoary redpoll by dopameanie, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
It depends on the species, but a high proportion of wildlife photography uses food as a lure. It can raise ethical questions at times, but it's certainly not seen as cheating per se. However the trick is to use food while also not photographing said food.