Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

Volume posted:

Some movie from the 70's that's called Cabin in the Woods. He's usually pretty good with obscure movies so I sat down and googled the hell out of it but can't find anything cause obviously it's not a remake.

I wonder if he's thinking of Within The Woods, the prototype for the original Evil Dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blenheim
Sep 22, 2010

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Does PA4 at least have some sort of MEGA KITCHEN scene?

No, not really; that was one of the big disappointments. There's a good scene with a car, but it's not the big explosion of "HOLY gently caress" that the earlier cabinet or kitchen scenes were; it's a different kind of scare and payoff.

I will disagree with sentiments expressed upthread that the series is showing the usual signs of horror-franchise dilapidation. Yeah, rot has typically kicked in by the time a series hits the third sequel, but this movie isn't horrible; it's just eh, which is kind of remarkable at this at this point in a horror series' lifespan. It's not as if we're at the just-churning-it-out stage; they had enough potential and good in this installment (leads are good/premise is fine/twist could've been interesting/Kinect idea and "stalking" scenes near end effectively creepy). They just chose not to follow up on that potential for some reason.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Can someone spoil what happens in the after-credits for PA4, please?

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Cession posted:

Please cause I didn't stick around for all the credits.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Cession posted:

Volume posted:

Please cause I didn't stick around for all the credits.

Quick summary I found here (first part is the scene itself, second part may be an explanation for its inclusion):

"The scene is only about 30 seconds long and takes place inside a little bodega-type store (a liquor store? a store for the occult?) using security camera footage. A Spanish-speaking woman arrives and quickly starts telling everyone to leave saying things that translate to “This is only the beginning.” Everyone quickly leaves.

This post-credits scene is teasing the upcoming ‘Paranormal Activity’ spinoff intended for Latino audiences. The Latino audience has been huge for the franchise so Paramount decided to make a film centered around Latino-Catholic mythology. Christopher Landon, who wrote the 2nd and 3rd ‘Paranormal,’ movies will direct this still untitled project that isn’t called a sequel but more of a “cousin” to the original films. Despite the language in the post-credits scene, the Latino ‘Paranormal Activity’ movie will be in English."

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Oh jesus. :cripes:

This can only be a massive trainwreck.

NovaPolice
May 9, 2006
I saw my first Indian horror film recently, 13B, because it popped up on netflix.

Kind of a J-horror/K-horror feel and premise to it; guy and his extended family move to an apartment on the 13th floor of a new building, and he realizes there's a show coming on at 1:00 pm/1300 hours* that has characters resembling his family and events reflecting the present/near-future. Also, the milk keeps curdling, it's impossible to nail up portraits in the prayer room, the elevator refuses to work for our protagonist, and his picture keeps getting distorted when taken in the flat (which I'm guessing is more of a shoutout than a ripoff).

Thriller/ghost story thing ensues with our main character trying to solve the supernatural weirdness, with two Bollywood song sequences coming out of nowhere.

The jittery camera direction was sometimes unnerving but frequently got overdone to the point of hilarity (my favorite shot is either when the shot of our hero's modest family sedan is flipped upside down in one driving sequence, or one where's he talking to a judge and the camera drunkenly sways between them like it can't decide what to look at).

It also has possibly the funniest drat credits sequence I've ever seen. I mean, any movie could have credits like this movie and get an extra star/point/thumb. It's astonishing.

*ooooooOOOOOOooooooOOO imagine I'm wiggling my fingers and poo poo

NovaPolice fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Oct 22, 2012

Suicide Pacmen
Mar 26, 2002

Rabbit season!

Slasherfan posted:

I think the problem with Paranormal Activity is it's stuck in a formula that isn't doesn't seem to allow much change at all. My biggest problem with part 4 is it didn't seem to up the scares from the last 3 at all. In the last one the entire kitchen went up onto the kitchen ceiling, in this one it's a just one knife.

That was the best scene but it brought up the question as the why the ghost tried to kill her and almost succeed if she was the virgin sacrifice needed for Hunter.

Pretty sure Ben was the virgin.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Suicide Pacmen posted:

Pretty sure Ben was the virgin.

That doesn't make sense then, the vessel has to be the one who commits the act, which isn't what happened in what you bring up (sorry for my odd wording, I just hate hiding everything behind spoilers and I'm trying to keep this vague and descriptive enough at the same time).

Suicide Pacmen
Mar 26, 2002

Rabbit season!

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

That doesn't make sense then, the vessel has to be the one who commits the act, which isn't what happened in what you bring up (sorry for my odd wording, I just hate hiding everything behind spoilers and I'm trying to keep this vague and descriptive enough at the same time).

Heck, I dunno then!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Toaster Beef posted:

Quick summary I found here (first part is the scene itself, second part may be an explanation for its inclusion):

"The scene is only about 30 seconds long and takes place inside a little bodega-type store (a liquor store? a store for the occult?) using security camera footage. A Spanish-speaking woman arrives and quickly starts telling everyone to leave saying things that translate to “This is only the beginning.” Everyone quickly leaves.

This post-credits scene is teasing the upcoming ‘Paranormal Activity’ spinoff intended for Latino audiences. The Latino audience has been huge for the franchise so Paramount decided to make a film centered around Latino-Catholic mythology. Christopher Landon, who wrote the 2nd and 3rd ‘Paranormal,’ movies will direct this still untitled project that isn’t called a sequel but more of a “cousin” to the original films. Despite the language in the post-credits scene, the Latino ‘Paranormal Activity’ movie will be in English."

Honestly this makes a lot of sense. So much of the issue with the PA movies is that they feel the need to keep adding onto the story of this one family when nobody really cares.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Oct 22, 2012

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Was Paranormal Activity: Tokyo Nights an actual entry in the series or something in the realm of those Asylum knockoffs? If it's part of the same series, the idea that PA4 might be pushing doesn't seem so strange.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's what they call a "sidequel". It's weird because it's basically just a localized remake of the first movie.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

OldTennisCourt posted:

Was Paranormal Activity: Tokyo Nights an actual entry in the series or something in the realm of those Asylum knockoffs? If it's part of the same series, the idea that PA4 might be pushing doesn't seem so strange.

It is. In fact, in Japan "Tokyo Night" replaced PA2 entirely: "Tokyo Nights" was billed as the true sequel while PA2 went straight to video.

Checking Amazon, there's a Region 2 DVD of Tokyo Night is available but it looks like it was never officially was released in North America (yet). I oughta check it out.

EDIT: According to Deadline Paranormal 5 is a go for next Halloween (no surprise there) but apparently we could be getting the Latin Paranormal Activity spinoff as soon as this spring (!).

lizardman fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Oct 22, 2012

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Anyone else been working through Troma's releases now that they are all free on youtube? I'm a huge fan and imho Troma movies are often legitimately good. Just watched Decampitated which is funnily enough, one of the best slasher deconstructions I've seen. Dropping the "horror" from "horror comedy" to make what can only be described as Slapstick comedy meets Friday the Thirteenth.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Tromeo and Juliet is legitimately one of my favorite Shakespeare adaptations.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Was Dawn of the Dead 78 supposed to be a comedy or just unintentionally so? Cause it's pretty much the latter so far.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Have you gotten to the zombie pie fight yet? If not, shut up and finish the movie. There's literally an extended musical zombie pie fight scene.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Tromeo and Juliet is legitimately one of my favorite Shakespeare adaptations.

Where else can you see Lemmy reciting Shakespeare? No where; that's where!

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Have you gotten to the zombie pie fight yet? If not, shut up and finish the movie. There's literally an extended musical zombie pie fight scene.

Ok, the Zombie Hare-Krishna is telling me where the sensibilities of this movie lie.

:v:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Haha, I forgot about Krishna Zombie. Dawn of the Dead definitely has the best zombie extras of all time (most of which were just random Pittsburg residents that got paid in :10bux: and an "I was a zombie in Dawn of the Dead" t shirt).

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Ok, I see the significance of the original Dawn of the Dead, but it's overlong and repetitive. The new version is superior.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Armyman25 posted:

Ok, I see the significance of the original Dawn of the Dead, but it's overlong and repetitive. The new version is superior.

It's probably simplifying it a bit but I largely agree. It's a film I recognise the importance of but it doesn't mean I have to 'like' the film. I actually had the same experience recently with 'The Last House On The Left'. I recognise why it's regarded the way it is, but there's a lot about that movie that simply doesn't work.

As for 'Dawn of the Dead' it's not even my favourite Romero one, and I think that 'Day' and 'Night' probably have it beat. I think I commented on this, probably earlier in this thread, but I find that people just screaming "BUT IT'S SOCIAL COMMENTARY!" at me doesn't make me like it any more.

It's interesting when people talk about 'Death of the author' etc because Dawn was a great example. It's widely prescribed that Dawn is a social commentary on American consumer culture and that Romero was way ahead of his time, but even Romero had to admit that it was unintentional and they ended up shooting in a mall because it was cheap. He just needed it to be all in one location like 'Night' was and ultimately 'Day' was (Though he intended the scope of that one to be far bigger).

I like Snyder's remake, and I particularly like the mean spirited way he closes out the final credits because the studio and test audiences wanted 'more closure'. It seemed a great 'gently caress you' to those people.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
So, a local network was showing The Collector.

It's not a BAD movie; it's entertaining in an over the top way. However, considering it was originally meant to be a Saw prequel in its earliest drafts, I REALLY got the sense the makers both wanted to play the 'Top this' game with its source inspiration while at the same time play the 'Nothing is scarier' card by not explaining a lot of things. The problem IS, it just does not work.

The Saw series already strains credibility enough with just how many workshops and trap setups in different buildings there ended up being over the course of the films, but it's helped by a vague timeline that means Jigsaw might have had months to arrange all his setups before he actually started trapping people. The Collector?

The titular Collector arrives at a house, and manages to transform it into a structure filled with deathtraps in the course of what seems like minutes. And this is just a normal house; he seemed to be scouting the place, but he couldn't build or set up anything in advance. This aren't exactly simple traps either; we have nailed over windows with well-place razor blades, a floor covered in some sort of acidic glue, and perhaps the biggest one for me; a staircase becoming covered in nails in two minutes, offscreen. If you thought slasher villain teleportation was something, you won't believe what the Collector pulls over the course of the film. It's like Dr. Manhattan from Watchmen decided to become a masked lunatic for a night or two.

And then there's all the traditional holes. What the hell was his motivation? Just why does he 'collect' people? What was in the box to start the film? And again, how the hell did he rig the house up the way he did; it's so egregious I feel I have to mention it twice!

I really wonder if the sequel is going to try to explain anything or just go 'LOOK! A WALL OF LAWNMOWER BLADES!' before running off. In conclusion, either play one card or the other; the two don't make a good hand.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

It's funny that you would say DotD is 'overlong', when I was a teenager I went out of my way to find a copy of the Director's Cut on VHS for that extra 10 minutes or so of footage. The extra gore and shots from the 2nd floor of the mall was priceless to me, I could have watched another hour of that movie easily. Perhaps you would enjoy the Argento cut more?

I can't be the only one the in retrospect finds the Dawn remake perfect commentary on the current ADHD narcissistic riddled 'Millennial' generation?

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Watched The Ring for the first time in about seven or eight years last night. I forgot how much that movie rattled me the first time around, and even now it managed to keep me awake for a bit. I know it's not a masterpiece, but I really enjoyed it. Lots of tension, and the atmosphere's pretty loving incredible.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Cornwind Evil posted:

So, a local network was showing The Collector.

:words:

No, The Collector doesn't make a whole lot of sense. How or why he managed to set up the traps is impossible to explain. The movie is pretty devoid of logic here, but I give it a pass because it's effective at building tension, and it has some surprisingly stylish cinematography.

As for why he collects people, who the gently caress knows. He's a psycho. I don't think we're meant to understand him.

I haven't seen the sequel yet, but I'd like to.

Speaking of sequels, did Laid To Rest 2 ever get released?

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Toaster Beef posted:

Watched The Ring for the first time in about seven or eight years last night. I forgot how much that movie rattled me the first time around, and even now it managed to keep me awake for a bit. I know it's not a masterpiece, but I really enjoyed it. Lots of tension, and the atmosphere's pretty loving incredible.

The Ring gets poo poo on a lot for being a remake but I thought it was, by far, the best of the Japanese horror remakes, and among the best horror remakes in general. It has some great cinematography, the video tape is more bizarre than in the Japanese version, and the plot is nicely adapted and streamlined compared to the Japanese version. Also, Naomi Watts is very easy on the eyes.

The sequel, however, is terrible.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
The Ring remake is amazingly solid. Just a great movie, with terrific use of jump scares and genuine tension.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Yeah, chalk me up as someone who adores the Ring remake, hell it's one of my favorite horror films ever. I think it just gets poo poo on in retrospect because it was the catalyst for the Japanese remake trend.

Yancy_Street
Nov 26, 2007

drunk octopus
wants to fight you

hypersleep posted:

The Ring gets poo poo on a lot for being a remake but I thought it was, by far, the best of the Japanese horror remakes, and among the best horror remakes in general. It has some great cinematography, the video tape is more bizarre than in the Japanese version, and the plot is nicely adapted and streamlined compared to the Japanese version. Also, Naomi Watts is very easy on the eyes.

Oh my loving God, that closet jump scare...

Parachute
May 18, 2003

hypersleep posted:

No, The Collector doesn't make a whole lot of sense. How or why he managed to set up the traps is impossible to explain. The movie is pretty devoid of logic here, but I give it a pass because it's effective at building tension, and it has some surprisingly stylish cinematography.

As for why he collects people, who the gently caress knows. He's a psycho. I don't think we're meant to understand him.

I haven't seen the sequel yet, but I'd like to.

One of my favorite parts of The Collector is definitely the alternate ending:

Arkin, the main character, upon seeing that the little girl was still alive and being held in the house, decides to just leave instead of rescuing her.

Well, that and the entire scene with the dog death. I don't deal with animal deaths in movies very well, but that one had me laughing really hard.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Dissapointed Owl posted:

The Ring remake is amazingly solid. Just a great movie, with terrific use of jump scares and genuine tension.

I really enjoyed this as well. Thought it was very effective actually.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

hypersleep posted:

It did and holy poo poo, is it ever bad. I say that as someone who really likes the original too and thought they coulda done some interesting things with Chromeskull.

Instead, Brian Austin Green.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

OK Octopus posted:

Oh my loving God, that closet jump scare...

I saw the movie at the cinema when it came out and the audience reaction to that in particular was unforgettable.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

DrVenkman posted:

It's probably simplifying it a bit but I largely agree. It's a film I recognise the importance of but it doesn't mean I have to 'like' the film. I actually had the same experience recently with 'The Last House On The Left'. I recognise why it's regarded the way it is, but there's a lot about that movie that simply doesn't work.

I enjoyed the remake, but the original Dawn was so much better in the atmospheric horror department. The entire movie is just filled with this wonderful aesthetic of grim inevitability. You know the characters can make a thousand lucky escapes, but eventually they're going to screw up and get bitten, because there is no other outcome in this world.

I wish Romero had gone with the original suicide ending, it would have been the perfect endcap.

troll for dollars
Jan 10, 2005
I already searched Amazon with no luck, so I thought I'd ask you guys: was there ever a region 1 or region free release of Noroi: The Curse? I watched it on Youtube recently and I'd really like a hardcopy but all I've been able to find is a Region 3 version.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Ugh, I watched Lake Mungo last night, and I'll admit that the scare with Alice meeting her own ghost gave me chills, but the movie was so goddamn boring up until that point. There could have been 60 minutes cut out of that movie and it still would have been as coherent.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

areyoucontagious posted:

Ugh, I watched Lake Mungo last night, and I'll admit that the scare with Alice meeting her own ghost gave me chills, but the movie was so goddamn boring up until that point. There could have been 60 minutes cut out of that movie and it still would have been as coherent.

Lake Mungo is a family drama that just happens to have some supernatural elements at the core of its story. I don't think this is a fault of the film, but it does makes it hard to market. Cutting 60 minutes wouldn't kill the horror at all, but it would absolutely kill the drama, and that's what the film is about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

sethsez posted:

Lake Mungo is a family drama that just happens to have some supernatural elements at the core of its story. I don't think this is a fault of the film, but it does makes it hard to market. Cutting 60 minutes wouldn't kill the horror at all, but it would absolutely kill the drama, and that's what the film is about.

That is an excellent point- the problem is coming into the horror thread and having people rave about Mungo. I seriously try and keep my expectations down when I watch movies people recommend on the internet; I like Session 9, and Grave Encounters was pretty funny, but Lake Mungo was just completely not what I was expecting. You've summed up what I was having trouble putting words to- it's really a family drama with some supernatural elements, not a horror movie.