Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
barbudo
Nov 8, 2010
WHO VOLUNTARILY GOES DAYS WITHOUT A SHOWER FOR NO REASON? DIS GUY

PLEASE SHOWER YOU GROSS FUCK
Who cares if it was pretentious, it contained the information the relevant party was looking for, while offering the hilarious sarcasm this Internet comedy forum is known for

:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

vacation in merica posted:

Are you serious? The entire process is laid out all over the place online, why would you ask a bunch of living AD/veterans/retirees how to get dead people's records?

A lot of civilians have no idea what so ever how the military works. A lot of them assume everything is a long drawn out process full of confusing bureaucracy. It doesn't hurt or inconvenience any of us when people ask us questions. This is also the thread for it.

You should be nicer bro, life is good. :)

vacation in merica
Jul 19, 2012

by T. Mascis
Soooo what part of me giving them a relevant link is pretentious?

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

vacation in merica posted:

Soooo what part of me giving them a relevant link is pretentious?

It isn't really a big deal but the whole let me Google that for you was unnecessary.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

HATE CURES TRANNYS posted:

It isn't really a big deal but the whole let me Google that for you was unnecessary.

also, lmgtfy is lame as gently caress.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

A lot of civilians have no idea what so ever how the military works. A lot of them assume everything is a long drawn out process full of confusing bureaucracy.

These two sentences conflict.

LLeGGo
Nov 6, 2005

No relation. Your mouth foams. We dance.
Is there a thread for info about duty station living that I'm missing? Opinions and suggestions on surrounding areas, apartments, homes and the like. If not there should be.

I'm curious for info on Ft. Carson specifically. If anyone has any insight on that it would be much appreciated.

vacation in merica
Jul 19, 2012

by T. Mascis

LLeGGo posted:

Is there a thread for info about duty station living that I'm missing? Opinions and suggestions on surrounding areas, apartments, homes and the like. If not there should be.

I'm curious for info on Ft. Carson specifically. If anyone has any insight on that it would be much appreciated.

Gimme some more info on what you're looking for after this post, but I'll give you a basic run-down:

-On-post housing is poo poo so don't take it if you have the option (which you probably wouldn't even if you're AD), BAH starts at 1150 so it's a better idea to live off post anyways.
-If you want to be close/have a short commute to Carson the best options are what's right around the post (wouldn't recommend it personally), near the downtown area (decent amount of stuff to do, quick access to 25), or up in the Northwest area between Filmore and Rockrimmon west of 25. The third area has quick access to 25 and even though it's further away from there it's about ~10 minutes to Carson not counting gate traffic.
-Living anywhere else guarantees you either a longer commute or being in a sub-par neighborhood. Don't ever live anywhere off of Academy. Don't live off of Platte unless you're really close to the downtown area. Don't go anywhere near Chelton/Fountain or Platte/Murray, they are the worst corners in the Springs as far as I can tell.

But really if you can tell me specifics I can get specific, I've been here for a while and my in-laws are from here so I've been exposed to a ton of the Springs and the areas around here.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

There was such a thread, but it appears to have dropped off the face of the earth.

LLeGGo
Nov 6, 2005

Really the only specifics I'm looking for are a good neighborhood with a decent amount of stuff to do around it. A 10-15 minute highway commute isn't really an issue. And close highway access is probably a plus.

vacation in merica
Jul 19, 2012

by T. Mascis
It's a huge plus. Are you looking at renting? Take a look at Camelback Pointe (lived there, it's a little overpriced but the tradeoff is it's a great area) and Oasis if you're cool with apartments, they're both off of Filmore and like ~1 mile from the freeway. It's probably a 15 minute drive to Carson and a 10 minute drive downtown. The only thing you'll be far away from is the Powers corridor, but it's loving garbage anyways.

You'll also be close to Manitou Springs, which has some badass places to eat and hike. gently caress, you'll be close to all the better outdoorsy things in the Springs. Just stay West of 25 and north of like Uintah and you'll be in the best area in my opinion. I bought a house on the east side of the Springs and we regret the gently caress out of it, gonna move back over that way as soon as I can.

LLeGGo
Nov 6, 2005

Awesome, thanks a lot. I'll start looking for apartments that hopefully meet what I need and what you said. If I have anymore questions I'll definitely be hitting you up.

vacation in merica
Jul 19, 2012

by T. Mascis
My email is broomer at gmail if you have any further questions.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Unless a good weekend for you is a high-speed 2-hour drive down California's most dangerous highway to Vegas, do not get posted to Fort Irwin. Do whatever you can to not get posted here. It is California's desert rear end in a top hat and the only redeeming quality is the aforementioned semi-reasonable distance to Vegas. I just finished a rotation here and gently caress this place hard. The closest "town" is Barstow at 32 miles from the gate. Barstow is a hole. Don't loving get posted here.

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~

Martello posted:

Unless a good weekend for you is a high-speed 2-hour drive down California's most dangerous highway to Vegas, do not get posted to Fort Irwin. Do whatever you can to not get posted here. It is California's desert rear end in a top hat and the only redeeming quality is the aforementioned semi-reasonable distance to Vegas. I just finished a rotation here and gently caress this place hard. The closest "town" is Barstow at 32 miles from the gate. Barstow is a hole. Don't loving get posted here.

I'd still take it over Polk

LEGIT WAR CRIMINAL
Aug 29, 2008

by XyloJW

DEVILDOGOOORAH posted:

I'd still take it over Polk

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Never been there, but that sounds accurate. At least Vegas is kinda close, and bayous are probably worse than deserts.

Martello fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Oct 15, 2012

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

So I've been dealing with trying to get a minor LOD injury taken care of, I've been preapproved for treatment through Tricare. They're trying to bone me by having me go to 3 different providers each about 50 miles away one way because they're the closest in network providers.

I live in a city of 300,000+ people with a major university run healthcare system. I find it ridiculous that they don't have a provider here that is acceptable to them.

What recourse if any do I have about getting them to approve treatment at a non-network provider?

sonofsunaj
Mar 16, 2009
I am in the Army Reserves as an E-4 and have been considering taking the AFAST to be a pilot. The problem is that I started my Army career rather late in life and I am currently 27. From the information that I am reading here http://www.usarec.army.mil/hq/warrant/download/MilitaryFlight.pdf I have to be before my 27th birthday before sitting in front of the board to become a Warrant Officer and Go to flight school.

Does anybody know if this is waiverable? Or am I just too old to try this at all as even If I were to find a way to go active and make E-5(Even with a waiver I can't put in my packet yet)I would still have to accomplish that and pass the AFAST within a year and a half?

Edit: Fixed Link

sonofsunaj fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Oct 17, 2012

Carnival Rider
Apr 23, 2006

I'm wondering what online colleges that EArmyEDU gives are actually worth going to? My AIT was really pushing a certain one but very few legit colleges actually accept credits from it, so it's probably going to be useless. I've heard good things about Excelsior from other people but honestly I don't even know anymore.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Carnival Rider posted:

I'm wondering what online colleges that EArmyEDU gives are actually worth going to? My AIT was really pushing a certain one but very few legit colleges actually accept credits from it, so it's probably going to be useless. I've heard good things about Excelsior from other people but honestly I don't even know anymore.

Excelsior is the worst of the worst.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Shimazu posted:

Excelsior is the worst of the worst.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excelsior_College

I've never heard of it before but it's non-profit and regionally accredited. Those are both good things.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Veins McGee posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excelsior_College

I've never heard of it before but it's non-profit and regionally accredited. Those are both good things.
It looks like a very similar school to Thomas Edison State College, which is referenced in that wiki. I'm enrolled at TESC and it's pretty good and they have great staff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Edison_State_College
http://www.tesc.edu/

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

shyguy posted:

It looks like a very similar school to Thomas Edison State College, which is referenced in that wiki. I'm enrolled at TESC and it's pretty good and they have great staff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Edison_State_College
http://www.tesc.edu/

You live incredibly close to me then.
So Edison is actually legit good? If I get sent away again I may do online with them.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

So Edison is actually legit good? If I get sent away again I may do online with them.

IIRC thomas edison is majority online and try to get mil people so there is a good chance he isn't in NJ :P

CrackerJackal
Oct 21, 2012
I'm joining the USAF and have no idea about what is acceptable or recommended for female hair. Short? Long? What about hair that is dyed?

Internet has been giving me some very mixed answers about this, and I'm also getting discrepancy between my recruiter and the officers at MEPS. The latter are all male though, so I don't blame them if they don't know firsthand (other than the obvious 'no mowhawks' and whatnot).

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

CrackerJackal posted:

I'm joining the USAF and have no idea about what is acceptable or recommended for female hair. Short? Long? What about hair that is dyed?

Internet has been giving me some very mixed answers about this, and I'm also getting discrepancy between my recruiter and the officers at MEPS. The latter are all male though, so I don't blame them if they don't know firsthand (other than the obvious 'no mowhawks' and whatnot).
Can't touch your collar, natural colors only.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

CrackerJackal posted:

I'm not providing this to be snarky, but it's useful. Air Force Instructions (AFI, or "regs") are available in pdf format at the e-pubs website. The Dress and Appearance reg is AFI 36-2903. If you have base access, the little books they sell at MCSS (uniform store) on the counter for a few bucks are a good cliff notes version.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Casimir Radon posted:

Can't touch your collar, natural colors only.

Female hair can touch the collar if it's "medium length" (think slightly less than shoulder length hair, short-ish but longer than a butch cut), it just can't be below the bottom of the collar.

Godholio posted:

I'm not providing this to be snarky, but it's useful. Air Force Instructions (AFI, or "regs") are available in pdf format at the e-pubs website. The Dress and Appearance reg is AFI 36-2903. If you have base access, the little books they sell at MCSS (uniform store) on the counter for a few bucks are a good cliff notes version.

In addition to this and the above, if it's long enough to be below the bottom of your collar it needs to be done up in either a neat/tight bun or ponytail that keeps it above the bottom of the collar (exception is in PTs, where looser/less done up hair is authorized in order to allow you to work out or whatever). The big thing here is "neat/professional," the biggest issue you'll see is people with hair done up that is technically in regs as far as length goes (it's above the bottom of the collar) but is out of regs because it's a loose bun that has stray hairs going everywhere or whatever and just generally kind of looks like poo poo. But really you should just go look in 36-2903 and get it straight from the source.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

CrackerJackal posted:

Generally they don't like it to touch the collar, though it can, and the colors have to be natural.

Also, welcome to the USAF and all- what is your job going to be? (Also fyi: your assignment preferences will have absolutely 0 bearing on where you are assigned out of tech school-- it's all manning decisions, every time. mil to mil spouses being the exception.)

CrackerJackal
Oct 21, 2012
Thanks, I looked up a PDF of AFI 36-2903 and you guys pretty much have it covered between you. Only thing is color, says
"Hair color/
highlights/frosting (must not
be faddish). Examples of
natural looking for human
beings, Blonde/Brunette/
Red/Black/Grey)"

Faddish is pretty vague and probably subject to personal discretion of superiors. The color it is now is a shade of auburn. Looks like this, but only in the first 5 days or do of dyeing it. Reds fade quickly, and tones down a considerable amount.

Shimazu posted:

Also, welcome to the USAF and all- what is your job going to be? (Also fyi: your assignment preferences will have absolutely 0 bearing on where you are assigned out of tech school-- it's all manning decisions, every time. mil to mil spouses being the exception.)

I don't know what my job is going to be yet, I've got to go back for more processing because I need a consult and waiver for I suppose mental stability. I told the truth about high school suspensions etc because it seemed like they could look that stuff up. Mistake, apparently they cannot. My test scores qualify me for literally any job, but I want to do something in IT at least. I know it's stupid to go in there with a particular job in mind, I just hope they don't desperately need qualifiers for something boring.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

No no no...go in there knowing EXACTLY what you want. Seriously. Get it in your contract, even if it means you have to wait a couple of months. If you don't, you're going to be a cop or worse, no matter how good your ASVAB was. Don't let the AF pick your job: THEY WILL PUT YOU IN THE JOB NOBODY WANTS BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT'S AVAILABLE NOW.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Godholio posted:

No no no...go in there knowing EXACTLY what you want. Seriously. Get it in your contract, even if it means you have to wait a couple of months. If you don't, you're going to be a cop or worse, no matter how good your ASVAB was. Don't let the AF pick your job: THEY WILL PUT YOU IN THE JOB NOBODY WANTS BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT'S AVAILABLE NOW.

That ain't no crazy talk. For reals, you should listen to this.

CrackerJackal
Oct 21, 2012
I didn't mean I was going to let them pick it for me.. that's ludicrous. I've just been told it's best to go in open minded. Pick something then get it in writing, because they'll try to change it.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?
Anyone know where i can get some cheap m249/saw 100 round soft bags that ship internationally?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

CrackerJackal posted:

I didn't mean I was going to let them pick it for me.. that's ludicrous. I've just been told it's best to go in open minded. Pick something then get it in writing, because they'll try to change it.

Good. You'd be floored by how many people do it though.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

BULLETS CURE ISLAM posted:

IIRC thomas edison is majority online and try to get mil people so there is a good chance he isn't in NJ :P
Yeah that's true, it's mostly online and I'm not stationed anywhere near NJ, but oddly enough my hometown is just 10 minutes from their main campus, just over the Delaware. Go Thunder.

shyduck fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Oct 22, 2012

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

CrackerJackal posted:

I don't know what my job is going to be yet, I've got to go back for more processing because I need a consult and waiver for I suppose mental stability. I told the truth about high school suspensions etc because it seemed like they could look that stuff up. Mistake, apparently they cannot.

So did you have issues with mental health that led to suspensions or..?

If you have a history of mental health issues, are you sure that you want to go into the military? This isn't the best environment for those with mental health issues.

CrackerJackal
Oct 21, 2012

Shimazu posted:

So did you have issues with mental health that led to suspensions or..?

If you have a history of mental health issues, are you sure that you want to go into the military? This isn't the best environment for those with mental health issues.

I didn't say I had mental health issues. Or suspensions. I just need to go finish my processing on a different day when I can get my consult done too. I need the consult because I've been suspended from high school before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

CrackerJackal posted:

I didn't say I had mental health issues. Or suspensions. I just need to go finish my processing on a different day when I can get my consult done too. I need the consult because I've been suspended from high school before.

Your post was confusing, you mentioned mental stability being an issue. So you don't have any issues re: mental health? No ADHD, depression, bipolar, personality disorder, etc? If not you shouldn't really need anything regarding your mental stability.

• Locked thread