Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Yeah gently caress that Hartmann guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Flying a Canadair Sabre what a scrub

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
The crazy thing about the Sabres is how simple they appear. It's just a man, an engine, some guns, and some control surfaces to point them

Maybe it's the unpainted metal skin?

The newer planes and even the P-80 just never seemed to visually boil it down to such basics. The pilot seems much more integrated instead of just slapped onto the killparts as an afterthought.

The Soviets maintained this aesthetic for some time, though

Heck, some of these are still flying:

wkarma
Jul 16, 2010
I got to see an F-86 and an F-100 fly last week. It was a good week.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Snowdens Secret posted:

The crazy thing about the Sabres is how simple they appear. It's just a man, an engine, some guns, and some control surfaces to point them

The Soviets maintained this aesthetic for some time, though

Yeah I was going to say that sounds like a MiG-21

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

There really is something about the aesthetics of the F-86, and I think that it comes from the bubble canopy and wings that, while swept, aren't going full delta yet.

I don't know, there's just something about it where you look at the thing and go "yup, this is the logical conclusion of a road that had the P40 ,P51, P80, etc. on it." It just feels like the obvious final iteration of an era, while the stuff after it feels like the beginning of something new.

Might be as simple as all the .50 cals.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I've always thought the Sabre was extremely aesthetically pleasing. I was more disappointed than you know when 1C sort of imploded after IL-2 1946, because Luthier was talking about a Korean War sim and I really wanted a Sabre simulator. :(

Much like Snowden's Secret, I too have been to Udvar-Hazy.

North American F-86A Sabre - 01 by notpsion, on Flickr

On an related note, it may be ugly, it may be maligned, and it has a truly terrible nickname, but there's ... something about the F-105.

Republic F-105D Thunderchief - 02 by notpsion, on Flickr

also, best prop plane or best prop plane?

Vought F4U-1D Corsair - 02 by notpsion, on Flickr

there will be a quiz

Psion fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Oct 22, 2012

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Psion posted:

I've always thought the Sabre was extremely aesthetically pleasing. I was more disappointed than you know when 1C sort of imploded after IL-2 1946, because Luthier was talking about a Korean War sim and I really wanted a Sabre simulator. :(

I presume you played Mig Alley back in the day?

Much like a lot of those old, awesome flight sims that never had a suitable replacement made there have been some awesome mods done for it. You might want to check those out.

I swear though, there are three things I would kill for.

1) a halfway quality USB flight stick that isn't crazy expensive. gently caress it, I'd pay $20 just for a USB->joystick port adapter for my old Thrustmaster. Why the gently caress don't we have a good mid-ranged company like Thrustmaster anymore?

2) a good WW1 sim on a modern engine. poo poo, just re-make Red Baron 3D (well, as it existed with the better mods rolled in ca. 2005 or so) in a modern engine. Goddamn I love WW1 sims.

3) same as above, but Korea / Mig Alley.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

1) What's wrong with saitek's midrange gear?

2) http://riseofflight.com/en Rise of Flight is supposed to be quite good for ww1 flight.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Mr. Despair posted:

1) What's wrong with saitek's midrange gear?

Do they make anything in the $40-60 range? The last time I looked into all this was about two years ago, and back then all I saw from them was $150-ish stick/throttle sets.

I honestly haven't looked in years, though. If the market finally responded to the dismal lack of controllers it might be time for me to get back into sims.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Cyrano4747 posted:

1) a halfway quality USB flight stick that isn't crazy expensive. gently caress it, I'd pay $20 just for a USB->joystick port adapter for my old Thrustmaster. Why the gently caress don't we have a good mid-ranged company like Thrustmaster anymore?

I've heard good things about the Thrustmaster T160000 insofar as 'cheap, USB, not bad.'

Me, I'm still babying my Sidewinder Precision Pro. It's kept going for years and years.

Saitek has some midrange stuff but I've always found it fairly iffy - I mean, good controller precision, decent feel in the hand, but it never lasted. I guess it wasn't meant for heavy use. Their HOTAS setups (X52? whatever) at ~$150 are pretty good - for $150 - but the sim market is basically people who will pay $300 for Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS setups and then drop hundreds more on pedals and a TrackIR, and then probably double all that buying their own pots and doing custom work to everything, so ...

Psion fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Oct 22, 2012

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Cyrano4747 posted:

2) a good WW1 sim on a modern engine. poo poo, just re-make Red Baron 3D (well, as it existed with the better mods rolled in ca. 2005 or so) in a modern engine. Goddamn I love WW1 sims.

The Zeppelin interception missions were really unrealistic :colbert:

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

I presume you played Mig Alley back in the day?

Much like a lot of those old, awesome flight sims that never had a suitable replacement made there have been some awesome mods done for it. You might want to check those out.

I swear though, there are three things I would kill for.

3) same as above, but Korea / Mig Alley.

1) The flight sim thread's standard advice regarding cheap joysticks is get a Logitech 3D Pro, then once you have the money and if you want more, to get a TrackIR.

2) Seconding Rise of Flight, it's fantastic.

3) The only thing that comes close is Strike Fighters 2 with mods.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Psion posted:

I've heard good things about the Thrustmaster T160000 insofar as 'cheap, USB, not bad.'

Me, I'm still babying my Sidewinder Precision Pro. It's kept going for years and years.

Saitek has some midrange stuff but I've always found it fairly iffy - I mean, good controller precision, decent feel in the hand, but it never lasted. I guess it wasn't meant for heavy use. Their HOTAS setups (X52? whatever) at ~$150 are pretty good - for $150 - but the sim market is basically people who will pay $300 for Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS setups and then drop hundreds more on pedals and a TrackIR, and then probably double all that buying their own pots and doing custom work to everything, so ...

I have an X52 and it feels like I'm holding my dick, it's so limp. I only use it for sims that need all those buttons and hats like the DCS series, otherwise I bust out the 3D Pro.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Mr. Despair posted:

2) http://riseofflight.com/en Rise of Flight is supposed to be quite good for ww1 flight.

Yeah, I looked at these guys a while ago. Off the top of my head:

1) I'm kind of tired of the F2P model. I'd rather just drop $50 now than keep dishing out for new aircraft, campaigns, etc piecemeal.

2) I really, really want some kind of long-term campaign. The sense of progression that you got from firing up a new guy in 1916 in RB3D, keeping track of his career as he progressed, using new aircraft as they historically became available, eventually getting promoted high enough to be squadron commander and unlocking a few decisions that you could make per-mission about the loadouts etc for your other pilots - all that was really neat. Just firing up missions and shooting things down absent of that structure always seems empty to me.

I know I"m being picky as gently caress, but I just miss the types of games that I played the gently caress out of as a kid. Aces over Europe/the Pacific, RB3d, European Air War, hell even the older Lucasarts stuff like SWOTL and BB:TFH.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Oct 22, 2012

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Falcon 3.0 with all the add ons whatup

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I think the x52 is still around the $100 mark. Thrustmaster does make a $40 hotas setup http://www.amazon.com/Thrustmaster-...ords=saitek+x52 though I can't vouch for the quality. Those seem to be the two main options for cheap hotas setups, although there's plenty of single joysticks out there if you don't a throttle.

It is definetly still an expensive gadget though, most of the really cool stuff out there is in the 200 dollar and up range.

I use an x52 myself, and it's been ok.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah, I looked at these guys a while ago. Off the top of my head:

1) I'm kind of tired of the F2P model. I'd rather just drop $50 now than keep dishing out for new aircraft, campaigns, etc piecemeal.

2) I really, really want some kind of long-term campaign. The sense of progression that you got from firing up a new guy in 1916 in RB3D, keeping track of his career as he progressed, using new aircraft as they historically became available, eventually getting promoted high enough to be squadron commander and unlocking a few decisions that you could make per-mission about the loadouts etc for your other pilots - all that was really neat. Just firing up missions and shooting things down absent of that structure always seems empty to me.

I know I"m being picky as gently caress, but I just miss the types of games that I played the gently caress out of as a kid. Aces over Europe/the Pacific, RB3d, European Air War, hell even the older Lucasarts stuff like SWOTL and BB:TFH.

Pretty sure rise of flight has a career mode now, I don't know how in depth it is as far as choices or unlocks, but it'll let you be a pilot on day to day missions.

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Oct 22, 2012

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Yeah they added a career a while ago.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

To put things into perspective:

I was never the giant, spergiest sim geek but I had a lot of fun with the mid-tier "sorta serious' ones. You know, the point where you felt a real sense of acomplishment when you babied a shot to poo poo airplane into making it back to a friendly base, but where the physics wasn't so spergtastic that just taking off required a pilot's license, a degree in physics, and 8 plug-in controls.

It seems like everything these days is geared to the groups that either want to manually set fuel mixture and propeller pitch before they take off, or the people who want an arcade game where they have an outside-the-cockpit view and just zoom around watching explosions.

I'll be honest, all of this is probably wasted naval gazing. I do the same thing once every couple years. Get all nostalgic about how awesome it was playing RB3D as a kid, look into what it would cost to get back into it all, and realize that the entry cost for equipment that doesn't blow is a just tad more than what I want to pay and the whole field looks like it's split between super-hardcore sim spergs and utterly cartoonish action games.

Maybe it's a misapprehension, and I'm sure people that are still into sims are having fun, so I won't waste time trying to make up excuses for this that and the other thing.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Strike Fighters 2 actually is more or less what you're looking for, it's just that its timeframe is the late 50's to early 80's. I don't consider Rise Of Flight that spergy but then I know the cockpit of a Ka-50 like the back of my hand just from playing DCS Black Shark so :V

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Sounds like you want Over Flanders Fields

description
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/02/03/the-flare-path-catenaries-and-dirigibles/

Game
http://www.overflandersfields.com/

Quote RPS:
"The general consensus seems to be that while Rise of Flight whips OFF in the flight modelling and netcode departments, the situation is reversed when it comes to bandit AI and long-term singleplayer satisfaction (...) - hundred of intelligently generated incidental sorties, a plausibly mobile frontline… Old Brown Dog have gone to incredible lengths to ensure their solo customers feel bound to their squadrons, and those squadrons feel like they’re participating in a titanic struggle."

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Psion posted:

also, best prop plane or best prop plane?

Vought F4U-1D Corsair - 02 by notpsion, on Flickr

Either it or the Lysander to its 1 or 2 o'clock.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Forums Terrorist posted:

1) The flight sim thread's standard advice regarding cheap joysticks is get a Logitech 3D Pro, then once you have the money and if you want more, to get a TrackIR.

That's funny, I despised the 3D Pro. Worse QA/QC than Saitek. I'm going to hope they've gotten better in the last couple years. Also about the X52, I may be thinking of the X52 Pro - there was an X52 model where they tightened it up and made it less floppy terrible. I forget, because I haven't used a Saitek heavily since the X45. In Battlefield 1942. Talk about overkill.

e: oh right the 3dpro was also too light. It's like I needed to tape a roll of quarters to the underside of it. I don't slam my sticks around like some hulk pilot of rage, but I do want the base to stay still during maneuvers.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I got one of those Thrustmaster HOTAS sticks linked earlier, and it's ok. I preferred my oldschool Logitech Wingman Interceptor (best stick) but it must have gotten lost in a move or something.

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

Psion posted:

That's funny, I despised the 3D Pro. Worse QA/QC than Saitek. I'm going to hope they've gotten better in the last couple years. Also about the X52, I may be thinking of the X52 Pro - there was an X52 model where they tightened it up and made it less floppy terrible. I forget, because I haven't used a Saitek heavily since the X45. In Battlefield 1942. Talk about overkill.

e: oh right the 3dpro was also too light. It's like I needed to tape a roll of quarters to the underside of it. I don't slam my sticks around like some hulk pilot of rage, but I do want the base to stay still during maneuvers.

While yes it is light, that is nothing some screws/clamps can't fix. Also if you are jerking your joystick as hard as you are saying you are doing it wrong.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

SwimNurd posted:

While yes it is light, that is nothing some screws/clamps can't fix. Also if you are jerking your joystick as hard as you are saying you are doing it wrong.

you see the part where I said I wasn't doing that? :p

also it's not a problem I've had with, at this point, probably a dozen other models, so I'm going to hold this against Logitech, yes. Saiteks, Microsoft, Thrustmaster, generic $10 no-names with suction cups on the bottom (haha I hated those) ... whatever.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Cyrano4747 posted:

To put things into perspective:

I was never the giant, spergiest sim geek but I had a lot of fun with the mid-tier "sorta serious' ones. You know, the point where you felt a real sense of acomplishment when you babied a shot to poo poo airplane into making it back to a friendly base, but where the physics wasn't so spergtastic that just taking off required a pilot's license, a degree in physics, and 8 plug-in controls.

It seems like everything these days is geared to the groups that either want to manually set fuel mixture and propeller pitch before they take off, or the people who want an arcade game where they have an outside-the-cockpit view and just zoom around watching explosions.

I'll be honest, all of this is probably wasted naval gazing. I do the same thing once every couple years. Get all nostalgic about how awesome it was playing RB3D as a kid, look into what it would cost to get back into it all, and realize that the entry cost for equipment that doesn't blow is a just tad more than what I want to pay and the whole field looks like it's split between super-hardcore sim spergs and utterly cartoonish action games.

Maybe it's a misapprehension, and I'm sure people that are still into sims are having fun, so I won't waste time trying to make up excuses for this that and the other thing.

Yeah, Forums Terrorist has it right. Third Wire makes Strike Fighters 2, which is pretty much what you're describing. It's not too arcadey, and it's not too realistic either. Strike Fighters 2 is their basic "fly F-100s and F-4s over a fictional desert in the 50s and 60s" sim, they've got some that takes things into the late 70s with F-15s and A-10s, one with F-14s, and also a WWI sim called First Eagles.

They're by the guy who did European Air War, which may have been the last of the middle level combat flight sims.

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

Cyrano4747 posted:

There really is something about the aesthetics of the F-86, and I think that it comes from the bubble canopy and wings that, while swept, aren't going full delta yet.

I don't know, there's just something about it where you look at the thing and go "yup, this is the logical conclusion of a road that had the P40 ,P51, P80, etc. on it." It just feels like the obvious final iteration of an era, while the stuff after it feels like the beginning of something new.

Might be as simple as all the .50 cals.

I'd say there's a generational difference between the "transonic" F-86 and later supersonic century series designs that's visually obvious because of the area rule. If I remember correctly the area rule was discovered while trying to get better supersonic performance with the F-102.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Base Emitter posted:

If I remember correctly the area rule was discovered while trying to get better supersonic performance with the F-102.

Sort of correct. Whitcomb had discovered the area rule independently without working on any specific project, but the first major project it was applied to was the F-102 (and of course Frenzl actually discovered it first in the '40s in Germany). Here is what the difference between "firmly subsonic" and "Mach 1.22 capable" looks like:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Psion posted:

Much like Snowden's Secret, I too have been to Udvar-Hazy.
On an related note, it may be ugly, it may be maligned, and it has a truly terrible nickname, but there's ... something about the F-105.

Republic F-105D Thunderchief - 02 by notpsion, on Flickr

Udvar-Hazy owns. Most other museums either have the planes packed in like sardines or they're engineless husks.

The F-105 is impressive but also compared to the Sabre it's absurdly enormous. Its design as a tactical nuclear bomber really shows through. A lot of the other design changes of the time reflect the shift from fixed guns to missiles as the primary air-air weapon.

Schindler's Fist
Jul 22, 2004
Weasels! Get 'em off me! Aaaa!
Incoming intel.

http://www.fas.org/blog/secrecy/

quote:

Intelligence Imagery Set to be Disclosed in 2013
October 22nd, 2012 by Steven Aftergood
A massive quantity of historical intelligence satellite imagery from the KH-9 HEXAGON program is being declassified and will be made public in a series of releases that are scheduled over the coming year, intelligence community officials say.

Declassification of intelligence satellite imagery languished for years after President Clinton ordered the release of product from the Corona, Argon and Lanyard missions in the 1995 executive order 12951. Although the Clinton order also required the periodic review of imagery from other missions, that requirement was effectively ignored by intelligence agencies and neglected by congressional oversight.

But in a May 2010 memorandum Director of National Intelligence Dennis C. Blair ordered the “re-establishment” of the declassification review of intelligence imagery — though it had never been officially disestablished — with a particular focus on imagery from satellite systems that were deemed obsolete.

In January 2011, DNI James R. Clapper formally declared that the KH-9 HEXAGON program was obsolete, and that declassification review of all program imagery should therefore commence. KH-9 HEXAGON was operational from 1971 to 1984.

“The process to declassify imagery pursuant to EO 12951 began shortly after DNI Blair’s May 26, 2010 memorandum and has been ongoing, in earnest, with the goal of releasing as much imagery as possible to the public, consistent with national security,” said Michael G. Birmingham of the Office of the Director of National Intelligence. “Accordingly, The KH-9/HEXAGON system was declared obsolete in January 2011 and a phased declassification of its imagery has ensued.”

More than two years after the Blair memorandum, however, next to nothing has yet been made public.

“The notable challenges to this effort are the sheer volume of imagery and the logistics involved in cataloging the imagery and moving it to archive,” Mr. Birmingham told Secrecy News.

“For context, and to grasp the scope of the project, the KH-9/HEXAGON system provided coverage over hundreds of millions of square miles of territory during its 19 successful missions spanning 1971-1984. It is a daunting issue to address declassification of the program specifics associated with an obsolete system such as the KH-9, which involves the declassification of huge volumes of intelligence information gathered on thousands of targets worldwide during a 13 year time period.”

Daunting or not, the large bulk of the KH-9 imagery is expected to be released, with only perhaps 5% or so remaining classified.

“There is a schedule of multiple deliveries with final delivery of imagery scheduled for September 2013,” Mr. Birmingham said.

I expect them to degrade the image quality to conceal the true capabilities of the system, but it will be fun browsing none the less.

p.s. That F-100 Sexy Saber :swoon:

Schindler's Fist fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Oct 23, 2012

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Seems like the Soviet UnionBelarus is still stealing our poo poo :argh:

(scroll down on that site for the last video, the previous ones were deleted and then watch the video titled "Leopard 2 Pitstop")

AntiTank
Oct 25, 2005

Last time this this awkward Ukranian thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5esFZYxg3rg

was stolen by GermansAustrians for even more awkwardness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kp7HVU-s7aI

wkarma
Jul 16, 2010
Did someone say Udvar-Hazy?

Getting to see both an F-86 and an F-100 fly last week was something of a (smoky) religious experience. :clint: Glad there's still a few of em out there and people dedicated to keeping them airworthy and on tour.

wkarma fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Oct 24, 2012

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
So it looks like the Chinese are going to adopt an SU-27 derivative for the new carrier fighter. I read somewhere that the Mig-29K was really a better carrier fighter than the Sukhoi and that the Russians ended up with the Sukhoi largely for political reasons. Is that true?

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Throatwarbler posted:

So it looks like the Chinese are going to adopt an SU-27 derivative for the new carrier fighter. I read somewhere that the Mig-29K was really a better carrier fighter than the Sukhoi and that the Russians ended up with the Sukhoi largely for political reasons. Is that true?

Depends on how you define "better"...the Flanker has a longer range, larger payload, and is therefore probably a better carrier defense aircraft (think Tomcat vs Hornet). But the MiG has a better avionics package and was actually capable of air to surface operations...however, that is not a shortcoming of the Flanker family as a whole but rather a result of the harsh fiscal environment when the Su-33 was coming online (a carrier version of the Su-35 would obviously be way more capable than either the Su-33 or MiG-29K, but upgrading the Su-33 fleet wasn't really an option). This is why Russia bought MiG-29Ks to replace the aging Su-33s, now that they actually have some money and it would be cheaper to just buy the newer better MiG-29Ks that had an open production line for India's aircraft as opposed to trying to upgrade the Su-33 or restart development of an upgraded carrier capable Su-35 type jet.

Given that the J-15 will have upgraded indigenously developed avionics and weapons, I don't think you can extrapolate that criticism to the Chinese Navy's aircraft, especially when everything I've seen indicates that the J-15 will be multirole, with a surface attack capability. I don't know if one design was "better around the boat" than the other, but given that there isn't any direct criticism of either being a turkey I think that any trivial difference in that area is a moot point.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Isn't the Su-27 really big? That seems like a downside for a carrier fighter since the Russian carrier is smaller than an American one.

Then I looked it up and found out the F-14 is even bigger and heavier than the Sukhoi so v:downs:v

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Throatwarbler posted:

Isn't the Su-27 really big? That seems like a downside for a carrier fighter since the Russian carrier is smaller than an American one.

Then I looked it up and found out the F-14 is even bigger and heavier than the Sukhoi so v:downs:v
Su-37 is a ton bigger than the Mig-29. 72x48' vs 57x27' and weighs about 50% more, too. F-14 is kinda in the middle between them, 64x38'.

grover fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Oct 24, 2012

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
The land-based MiG has known combat range issues. If the -29K doesn't somehow address those that'd be a prime reason to go with the Su for naval use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

grover posted:

Su-37 is a ton bigger than the Mig-29. 72x48' vs 57x27' and weighs about 50% more, too. F-14 is kinda in the middle between them, 64x38'.

Edit: Holy poo poo the -35 is massive.

Snowdens Secret posted:

The land-based MiG has known combat range issues. If the -29K doesn't somehow address those that'd be a prime reason to go with the Su for naval use.

It was designed as a point defense interceptor so this is understandable. Wiki says the -29K (w/o drop tanks) has a comparable combat radius to a Hornet (w/o drop tanks) due to increased internal fuel though.