Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Having a dungeon overworld is a great idea and reminiscent of the games that inspired Zelda (and to an extent the original Zelda itself) in the first place, just the implementation in Skyward Sword was very boring because it was based around making you focus on and constricting you to particular conflicts and objectives instead of giving you a ton of options and saying "do whatever." Metroid Prime 1 and 2, Zelda 1, Super Metroid, King's Field series, Link to the Past, Dark Souls, even Ocarina of Time and plenty of other games do a great job of having this dynamic where when you're traveling of near the entrance to an area things aren't so bad you can kind of bumble around wherever and find some stuff and learn where you could be going. However when you go way underground or get closer to an objective things are designed to gradually get more intense.

The actual level structure, sound design and enemy placement of these games (assuming you're not breaking sequence) has this incredible and clearly intentional ebb and flow to the atmosphere that Skyward Sword lacks. Unlike those other games it does a very bad job of hiding its linearity and, while the game isn't terrible, it's definitely a letdown coming from a franchise that was so important in the development of this type of experience in gaming. I feel like, as people take games more seriously now as artistic experiences or whatever it's actually lost relevance by adding in so much more hand holding and pre-set stuff rather than embracing and refining the series' roots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

But people loved the adult timeline in OoT. Wind Waker was making up for every prior Zelda game not being quite awesome or beautiful enough.

It would have been perfect if they'd had time to complete the two dungeons they had to cut.(and made the space between islands maybe 33% smaller)

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.

Chaltab posted:

Hopefully Wii U Zelda will find a nice middle ground. At the very least, they'll finally no longer be constrained by ~2001 graphics tech.

Wii U has a relative shitload of RAM available to games (1gig + 32mb GPU-embedded, and some of the OS' 1gig reserved for future expansion), which could be especially useful for open world games. Imagine a Zelda with no loading screens.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Rake Arms posted:

Wii U has a relative shitload of RAM available to games (1gig + 32mb GPU-embedded, and some of the OS' 1gig reserved for future expansion), which could be especially useful for open world games. Imagine a Zelda with no loading screens.

Imagining ANY game with no loading screens is super exciting.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Chaltab posted:

Phantom Hourglass is actually a very good game and I would definitely recommend giving it a go. Spirit Tracks is... not great.

Watching the Four Sword Adventure LP by the Sonic 06 team yesterday, I'd love to see that concept revisited on the Wii U. First of all the game is gorgeous (low-res sprites not withstanding), and getting four players together would be easier on the Wii U with the Gamepad, online, and potential 3DS interaction. I doubt it would ever happen, but I think Nintendo would be fools to pass it up.

Yeah, I've been watching that too and if a Wii U Four Swords game had online play I'd be all over that. It could have so many neat features!

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

Policenaut posted:

Yeah, I've been watching that too and if a Wii U Four Swords game had online play I'd be all over that. It could have so many neat features!

You know what online is? Scary.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

greatn posted:

I don't play very many games with loading screens. Probably Xenoblade is the extent for me. I can't think of very many DS games with loading screens. If there's longer than a five second delay into playing I tend to lose interest fast.

In other words, I feel sorry for anyone who played Chrono Trigger on the PlayStation.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I don't play very many games with loading screens. Probably Xenoblade is the extent for me. I can't think of very many DS games with loading screens. If there's longer than a five second delay into playing I tend to lose interest fast.

In other words, I feel sorry for anyone who played Chrono Trigger on the PlayStation.

There are a number of games with no or very few loading screens, for instance Dark Souls lets you traverse its entire world without a loading screen. I just want to see SSDs make loading screens near instant.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Here's true pain: Soldier of Fortune on Dreamcast

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
The new Zelda will only be playable with the gamepad. It's version of the ocarina will be a paintbrush and you have to use the touchscreen in an Okami-ish way. You'll have to use some kind of special spirit vision to find hidden things using the screen that aren't visible in the game world on the tv. I'm going to stop now because it's starting to sound plausible.

It's probably a stupid, stupid thing to hope that Nintendo reverses their view on forcing the new gimmick for everything. I'll bite because I have a learning disability or something.

On a non-Zelda note, I'm happy with wireless being the default as long as I can actually buy an adapter. By the time Tri came out and I had a reason to play online you could apparently only get them by directly contacting Nintendo.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I assume you don't just have a wireless router because you're in a high population zone with too much wireless interference?

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*
November is going to be hell for me since I pre-ordered online with Gamestop.
I honestly wonder why they couldn't have an option for in-store pickup, because that shipping/sales tax combo is hitting pretty close to a $400 console.

The things I do to get a Launch Console. At least I can finally put my Wii away then, I'll pull it out if I want to play a GameCube game but otherwise its been getting really noisy lately.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

RMZXAnarchy posted:

The things I do to get a Launch Console. At least I can finally put my Wii away then, I'll pull it out if I want to play a GameCube game but otherwise its been getting really noisy lately.

Not saying you're a liar or it doesn't happen but I have never had a problem with a Nintendo console or handheld ever. Like, I'm talking owning and regularly using every single one of them. I purchased my Wii in early 2006, it's been through seven moves and I probably play it a little more than some others do (well, not as much as Monster Hunter players. I could see that game killing a console) but I don't have a single issue with it. I once put an original GameBoy in the wash and it came out smelling like lemons and still working fine. My GameCube got kicked by a drunk and despite bouncing across a room and hitting a wall, all that happened was a cracked handle. gently caress, the handle might have saved it from damage. SEE IT WAS USEFUL!

I guess that's a big reason why I stay loyal to Nintendo. I've had so many family and friends use everything from the Genesis to the PS to the X-Box and they have all had problems in some way, shape or form with their consoles. Nintendo never breaks down for me. Maybe I'm just lucky.

minus world
Sep 23, 2009

"good poster"
i made the right choice today by cancelling my preorder. I really wish there was more to the launch other than Darksiders 2 and New Super Mario Bros. ZombieU still looks interesting as hell but it's a bit of a way off.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

greatn posted:

I assume you don't just have a wireless router because you're in a high population zone with too much wireless interference?

That and the signal has extreme difficulty getting through the walls here. I recognize that wireless is a thing everyone has, and I don't mind paying for an adapter, but at least give me the option without trying to contact a company in the US and special order one. In the end I borrowed an access point from work and stuck it on top of the wii for a few months.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

fauxical posted:

i made the right choice today by cancelling my preorder. I really wish there was more to the launch other than Darksiders 2 and New Super Mario Bros. ZombieU still looks interesting as hell but it's a bit of a way off.
Uh, what? It's a launch title.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Chaltab posted:

Yeah, kind of hard to be "a bit of a way off" when it's being pre-packed with Wii U's in the UK.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Not saying you're a liar or it doesn't happen but I have never had a problem with a Nintendo console or handheld ever. Like, I'm talking owning and regularly using every single one of them. I purchased my Wii in early 2006, it's been through seven moves and I probably play it a little more than some others do (well, not as much as Monster Hunter players. I could see that game killing a console) but I don't have a single issue with it. I once put an original GameBoy in the wash and it came out smelling like lemons and still working fine. My GameCube got kicked by a drunk and despite bouncing across a room and hitting a wall, all that happened was a cracked handle. gently caress, the handle might have saved it from damage. SEE IT WAS USEFUL!

I guess that's a big reason why I stay loyal to Nintendo. I've had so many family and friends use everything from the Genesis to the PS to the X-Box and they have all had problems in some way, shape or form with their consoles. Nintendo never breaks down for me. Maybe I'm just lucky.

I got a broken Wii (not mine, but one my sister left there when she moved out) at my house right now. The sync button is stuck in, making it impossible to connect any controllers. While trying to find a fix online I found it's a pretty common problem. (if any of you know a fix let me know cause I'd love to trade it in). Also those faulty ds lite hinges.

The wii graphics card had pretty common problems as well, and dses have common dead pixels.

Edit: added person I was quoting since a lot of people posted in between while I was writing

greatn fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Oct 22, 2012

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

greatn posted:

It would have been perfect if they'd had time to complete the two dungeons they had to cut.(and made the space between islands maybe 33% smaller)
On the other hand the storyline justification for one of the cut dungeons was awesome cause it completely turned the "collect the Xth magical fuckshit" trope on its end.

I had high hopes SS would do away completely with those types of dungeons, since both WW and TP put in quite a few, but instead they made every dungeon like that.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
Edit: You know what, this is the Wii U thread, not the Skyward Sword thread, and my disagreement was pedantic anyway.

Chaltab fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Oct 22, 2012

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Chaltab posted:

I don't recall any collection quests in the dungeons. Honestly I don't think SS had a bad dungeon one. The problem was there was SO much to do in-between them that it felt like a lot of pointless roadblocks and padding.

The dungeons were the highlights of the game with the rest of the overworld pointless bullshit and completely devoid of interesting things to do.

edit: Nintendo should just do the ironic thing and copy Darksiders.

sigher fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Oct 22, 2012

minus world
Sep 23, 2009

"good poster"

Chaltab posted:

Could have sworn it was pushed back until 2013. Oh well, I will pick it up next year along with a Wii U once good games actually start showing up.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

fauxical posted:

Could have sworn it was pushed back until 2013.

You might have confused it with the also published by Ubisoft title Rayman.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Interesting video about the WiiU Gamepad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxIhZYjyBxc

And the first UK advertisement is surprisingly... competent I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMVfIe536J0

Shhping Shhping Shhping Shhping Shhping

greatn posted:

Nintendo 64 > PSX :colbert:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

The loading screen stuff is about as spergy as you can get IMO. It's such a tiny inconvenience and a lot of games such as Metroid Prime hide the loading screens very well.

I understand the 30 second waits in Halo are a little irritating but once I'm in the game I've already forgotten all about it.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Bobnumerotres posted:

The loading screen stuff is about as spergy as you can get IMO. It's such a tiny inconvenience and a lot of games such as Metroid Prime hide the loading screens very well.

I understand the 30 second waits in Halo are a little irritating but once I'm in the game I've already forgotten all about it.

Here's someone who hasn't played the Playstation version of Chrono Trigger, then.

I don't mind loading screens in a lot of games, Halo works because the obtrusive loading screens are just between levels... but not all games are equal when it comes to how they're designed and implemented. I found the loading screens in Morrowind for Xbox absolutely awful, too, for instance.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Oct 22, 2012

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

thexerox123 posted:

Here's someone who hasn't played the Playstation version of Chrono Trigger, then.

I don't mind a lot of loading screens in games, Halo works because the obtrusive loading screens are just between levels... but not all games are equal when it comes to how they're designed and implemented. I found the loading screens in Morrowind for Xbox absolutely awful, too, for instance.

The load screens in Morrowind were extremely bad. I can't even decide whether the regular version or the GOTY version was worse; the GOTY version made a lot of the in-game loading screens much shorter, but loading a character took an hour and a goddamned half.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

thexerox123 posted:

I don't mind a lot of loading screens in games, Halo works because the obtrusive loading screens are just between levels... but not all games are equal when it comes to how they're designed and implemented. I found the loading screens in Morrowind for Xbox absolutely awful, too, for instance.

What's impressive is how well Chrono Cross handled loading, it was one of the early games to really stream things off the disc. Combat would start before you even had the menu cursor loaded if your PS1 was old and slightly slow like mine, and it didn't have big delays before loading and playing movies like some games of its era had-- it cut right from gameplay to FMV in several instances.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Loading screens used to be THE defence when arguing consoles vs. PC but then consoles moved to disc gaming and the early stuff all had some significant loading.

I don't believe too many next gen games have huge loading times but the real issue now is updates and constant DLC purchasing.

It's already rumoured that the next Microsoft and Sony consoles will have more expensive game price tags to cover the costs of the next gen engines but we'll probably see a few companies get around it by offering you a $59.99 game which costs an extra $59.99 to actually play the whole thing.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The loading in Metroid Prime DOES bother me, believe it or not. Sometimes I stand at a door I've shot for nearly twenty seconds before it lets me in the next room. And the elevators are just animated loading screens. Even in games which you might not consider to have loading screens, like Mario Galaxy or Zelda, I recognize how long the game is making me wait and all the inbetween level stuff that is really just hiding the fact it is loading the area.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I don't believe too many next gen games have huge loading times but the real issue now is updates and constant DLC purchasing.
Updates are a good thing and you don't have to buy DLC.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Xenoblade does a pretty fantastic job with loading enemies and terrain but oddly enough it's fully opening, or sorting, menu items that takes long enough to notice it. You can hit (-) and be on the other side of a huge map instantly, or in another whole area within moments, but if you're looking to delete one of your trash gems? It's a 5 second affair sometimes.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Surlaw posted:

Updates are a good thing and you don't have to buy DLC.

Updates are a great thing that I believe a lot of companies abuse. You used to have a long, extensive period of testing for games in the 90s and games that didn't receive them usually had some game breaking bugs. Today it feels like companies just make sure the game is functional and then decide to patch the problems later. That's a bad practice.

My problem with DLC is I think publishers now want companies to instead of creating a 30 level game out of the box, make an 18 level game and we'll charge for DLC later so people can feel like they completed the entire game.

I'm not saying this stuff is evil in practice. I'm just saying they are actively and easily abused and we'll eventually see someone try to sell people a $59.99 game that you can't beat unless you buy the final levels on DLC.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Can you name some examples?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Can you name some examples?

Civilization V is a great example. It's an absolute dogshit game until you buy Gods and Kings which makes it feel like a complete game.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
So you think 2K made Firaxis hobble Civ 5 in order to sell Gods and Kings like a year and a half later? Disregarding the fact that expansions are usually seen as a bit different from the newer, smaller DLC phenomenon on consoles, that's extremely unlikely. It's not like there's never been a bad Civ game, Civ 3 sucked too.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

I truly think 2K made Firaxis delay the proper Civ V SDK by pulling staffing, if not mandate, in order to sell Gods and Kings and DLC wonder/terrain packs. We know for a fact Civ V did not get proper testing in the end, they fired all the testers a month or two before release if I remember it right.

Kotaku, but it's covered back in July 2010

quote:

Tipsters told us that Firaxis laid off 20 to 30 people yesterday including folks from the quality assurance team, the user interface art team, animators, programmers and designers.

Chronojam fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Oct 23, 2012

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here
It looks like Sonic All-Star Racing won't have voice chat in the Wii U edition. http://www.joystiq.com/2012/10/22/sonic-and-all-stars-racing-transformed-wont-have-voice-support/

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Target now has the WiiU demo stations, but it had no playable demos. A kid before me thought he was playing Batman for a few minutes. It was just the promo video playing.

The Gamepad feels fine in my hands. It's nice to see the return of the full-size D-pad since the N64 days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Atomicated posted:

It looks like Sonic All-Star Racing won't have voice chat in the Wii U edition. http://www.joystiq.com/2012/10/22/sonic-and-all-stars-racing-transformed-wont-have-voice-support/

It. loving. Begins.

I want to cancel my preorder.

I just don't loving. Ugh. Nintendo is as loving dumb as ever and hasn't learned a thing.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Oct 23, 2012

• Locked thread