Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

What does one really mean, when one says "sandwich?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

GrAviTy84 posted:

An open faced sandwich fails this, too.

Yeah, as a Scandinavian this post is somewhat dubious. Explain!

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

I'm really sorry to have brought about this philosophical derail :(

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I am used to the convention that an open faced sandwich is basically a knife and fork sandwich.

also, for those not aware of the joke, there was a longwinded debate as to what constitutes a "sandwich" in GWS a few months ago which started sane and then spiraled out into ridiculousness.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Is a hot turkey sandwich with gravy a sandwich?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Is a hot turkey sandwich with gravy a sandwich?

By gravy do you mean tomato sauce?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I was wondering if anyone can give me some tips on cooking with tofu and eggs? I tried googling it and all I was getting were links to replace eggs with tofu, instead of cooking with the two of them :downs:

Actually I'd like some tofu recipes in general, the main things in my diet are linguica, chicken, rice, eggs and jalapenos.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Leal posted:

I was wondering if anyone can give me some tips on cooking with tofu and eggs? I tried googling it and all I was getting were links to replace eggs with tofu, instead of cooking with the two of them :downs:

Actually I'd like some tofu recipes in general, the main things in my diet are linguica, chicken, rice, eggs and jalapenos.

Fried rice, fried tofu, scrambled eggs? Alternately cube and then bread the tofu with an egg wash?

I imagine the texture of outright combining eggs and tofu to not be too appealing.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Speaking of tofu, I have a bunch of soft tofu that I buy for using in mapo tofu and egg drop soups, but I don't always want either of these things. What else can I do with this stuff? Stir-fries, clearly, are right out.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Speaking of tofu, I have a bunch of soft tofu that I buy for using in mapo tofu and egg drop soups, but I don't always want either of these things. What else can I do with this stuff? Stir-fries, clearly, are right out.

Smoothies, dressings, custards.

Deep fried and then stirfried is good

Topped with shrimp and steamed with ginger and scallions and topped with soy, sugar, sesame oil.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

GrAviTy84 posted:

I am used to the convention that an open faced sandwich is basically a knife and fork sandwich.
Yeah. At least in American Southern white trash cuisine, an open faced sandwich is usually some protein piled on bread and covered with a puddle of gravy. Bread and gravy is something that shows up a lot in Antebellum South cooking, presumably as an a poor folks version of potatoes and gravy.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Anyone for a Hot Brown?

Emmjay
Aug 3, 2009

if you don't get the job/promotion/salary increase you want, getting your parents to ring me and complain will absolutely change the outcome

Leal posted:

My fave tofu is salt & pepper tofu. Cube it, egg wash it, then roll it in heavily salted and peppered flour before deep frying. Serve it in good broth with finely sliced spring onion on top (there may be a proper name for this dish, I had it in a restaurant once and then made my own version at home.)

Also: best winter sammich - thick sliced crusty sourdough, toasted and brushed with olive oil, topped with canellini beans that have been warmed through and tossed with fresh rosemary, then mushrooms fried in butter, garlic and parsley. Crumble goats cheese or feta on top. Needs to be eaten with a knife and fork.

My question: I made spaghetti and meatballs for dinner the other night. The meatballs were really dry in the middle. I used minced beef, some finely diced onion and parsley and seasoning, browned them off in a pan before adding them to the tomato sauce. What did I do wrong? I'm guessing it was either not enough fat or they were overcooked?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Emmjay posted:

My fave tofu is salt & pepper tofu. Cube it, egg wash it, then roll it in heavily salted and peppered flour before deep frying. Serve it in good broth with finely sliced spring onion on top (there may be a proper name for this dish, I had it in a restaurant once and then made my own version at home.)

The eggwash+flour is unnecessary if you deep fry hot enough. Toss in salt and minced chilies, garlic, scallions, and a few sichuan peppercorns after frying.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I can't find the "is this safe to eat??" thread and I am pretty sure it's not, so I'm more interested in what went wrong - I bought a container of goat's milk feta in brine yesterday, and when I went to make my lunch for today I reached into the brine and the cheese was... goopy - almost like a chevre texture. I tasted a little of the goop thinking it was just sort of particles making a sludge on the surface, and it had a very strong taste of bleu cheese. Not revolting, just not what you would expect from feta.

I'm still alive, so I guess my way of thinking is that this cheese must have been colonized by a strain of something in the factory. I didn't have time today but I plan to e-mail the company (Silani) with the lot number and all.

I don't know, has this happened to anyone? I'm kind of miffed to be out the money and an incomplete salad.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

angerbrat posted:

I don't know, has this happened to anyone? I'm kind of miffed to be out the money and an incomplete salad.
The brine has leached calcium from the cheese. This common in all brined cheeses, not just feta---it's also the reason fresh mozzarella can get slimy, for example. The solution (so to speak) is to use a brine that already contains calcium in solution. A common approach if you're doing your own cheesemaking is to use leftover whey in the brine. Commercially I assume they just add calcium chloride to the brining solution.

If this happened with something you bought from a grocer, my guess would be either it was improperly prepared cheese (as in the feta wasn't aged properly before brining or a poorly prepared brine was used) or perhaps the brine got jiggered somehow during transport or storage (e.g., by getting extra moisture added by condensation or something).

In any case, almost certainly safe, just gross.

Didion
Mar 16, 2009
When making paneer, how much lemon juice would I need for 1 litre of milk?

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

SubG posted:

The brine has leached calcium from the cheese. This common in all brined cheeses, not just feta---it's also the reason fresh mozzarella can get slimy, for example. The solution (so to speak) is to use a brine that already contains calcium in solution. A common approach if you're doing your own cheesemaking is to use leftover whey in the brine. Commercially I assume they just add calcium chloride to the brining solution.

In any case, almost certainly safe, just gross.

So a helvetica scenario for cheese, but how does that explain the taste?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

angerbrat posted:

So a helvetica scenario for cheese, but how does that explain the taste?
I don't know. I'm not feta expert, but I expect feta flavour to vary a lot depending on the dairy used, the starter culture, and the composition of the brine. Was it a traditional (dry and kinda crumbly) Greek feta, or one of the smoother, firmer Danish fetas? I'd expect more variability in a traditionally cultured and aged Greek than a processed Danish.

Have you tried this variety before and found it to taste differently?

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
No, this was a "dithering over which type to buy" moment and I went with a new one - it tasted exactly like a bleu cheese which is why I wonder if there was a fungus introduced. I couldn't even tell you if it was salty from the brine, it was overwhelming. It wasn't a taste I would ever have associated with feta, from cow, sheep or goat.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

angerbrat posted:

No, this was a "dithering over which type to buy" moment and I went with a new one - it tasted exactly like a bleu cheese which is why I wonder if there was a fungus introduced. I couldn't even tell you if it was salty from the brine, it was overwhelming. It wasn't a taste I would ever have associated with feta, from cow, sheep or goat.
It's certainly possible that there was some sort of contamination, and the calcium leaching was due to the cheese sitting in the brine for overlong instead of the brine being terribly off. I'd really expect that if there was enough mould to overwhelm the flavour that it would be visible on a pale cheese like feta though.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
I bought a pork shoulder on Saturday to make braised carnitas; however, I discovered I need to clean my oven first. Being the lazy rear end in a top hat that I am, I haven't done that yet.

How long will the raw shoulder stay good in my fridge? Should I throw it in the freezer? Realistically I'd like to cook it within the next day or two but who knows when I'll get off my lazy rear end to clean the oven.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
On Halloween we're having a potluck here at work, and I'm not sure what to make.

The problem is, I'm assigned to desserts. I don't even eat desserts, much less make them. I'm going to try to see if I can get reassigned because I am seriously at a loss as to what I can even do, but if I'm stuck, what's a simple fallish dessert that isn't a pie? I say not a pie because everyone makes pie.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Why not pie? :zoid:

Spiced cookies. Pumpkin rolls. Anything with apples in it.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Splizwarf posted:

Why not pie? :zoid:

Spiced cookies. Pumpkin rolls. Anything with apples in it.

I actually got the OK to bring something besides dessert, so I'll probably do some kind of chuck roast or onion-based soup, and see if I can't scare up one of my friend's most excellent pumpkin pie.

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011

Doh004 posted:

I bought a pork shoulder on Saturday to make braised carnitas; however, I discovered I need to clean my oven first. Being the lazy rear end in a top hat that I am, I haven't done that yet.

How long will the raw shoulder stay good in my fridge? Should I throw it in the freezer? Realistically I'd like to cook it within the next day or two but who knows when I'll get off my lazy rear end to clean the oven.

You generally want to use meat within 3-5 days, I usually assume that whatever I bought has been sitting out for at least a day or two so I err closer to three days than five. Check the meat, if its tacky and smells kind of like a maxi-pad its already off. If its fine though, cook it tonight, otherwise it should probably go in the freezer.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Saint Darwin posted:

On Halloween we're having a potluck here at work, and I'm not sure what to make.

The problem is, I'm assigned to desserts. I don't even eat desserts, much less make them. I'm going to try to see if I can get reassigned because I am seriously at a loss as to what I can even do, but if I'm stuck, what's a simple fallish dessert that isn't a pie? I say not a pie because everyone makes pie.

Go through the first 10 or so pages of tastespotting, this time of year it's filled with recpies for cool Halloween type things like cupcakes with ghosts made from meringue on top, that sort of thing.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Saint Darwin posted:

It might be a bit pie-ish, but what about a classic Tarte Tatin?

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008

Robo Boogie Bot posted:

if its tacky and smells kind of like a maxi-pad its already off.

Uhhh. Got anything else to compare it to? I can't say I'm in the smelled a maxi-pad club...

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I like to make mayo the stick blender way, but its always a little thinner than is like. What's the best way to thicken it? Use less oil? Cornstarch? Use lard/shortening?

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

FishBulb posted:

I like to make mayo the stick blender way, but its always a little thinner than is like. What's the best way to thicken it? Use less oil? Cornstarch? Use lard/shortening?

Make sure your eggs are at room temperature before you start mixing.
Also, don't overblend (stick the stickblender all the way in, then sloooowly pull upward. The mayo should be almost done when you reach the surface.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Ah I do pretty much always use cold eggs. Thanks.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
More oil will make it thicker though.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

More oil will make it thicker though.

I'll try that too then.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Additionally, upping the lemon juice or vinegar or whatever acid a tad can make a big difference, too, surprisingly.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
But that will make it thinner?

When I make mayo that's too thick, I add fresh lemon juice or vinegar. When it's too thin, I add oil. You know when you have too much oil because it starts to look a little translucent, like mayo thats been left in the sun.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I have never had a too thin problem. My mayo/aioli is usually stupidly thick and I thin with lemon juice. Then again, I never do the stick blender thing, I do the stand mixer thing.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wusses. I do it with a whisk. But I never measure anything, so when I have enough I always have to adjust for thickness and flavor.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

GrAviTy84 posted:

I have never had a too thin problem. My mayo/aioli is usually stupidly thick and I thin with lemon juice. Then again, I never do the stick blender thing, I do the stand mixer thing.

I can't imagine that making it in a stand mixer would produce anything other than tremendous quantities?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

FishBulb posted:

I can't imagine that making it in a stand mixer would produce anything other than tremendous quantities?

use the smaller bowl, whisk attachment.