Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Wholeheartedly agree with the Mono bag wankfest, I'm in love with mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Is anyone else experiencing CPU load issues with the latest versions of Traktor? I'm on 2.5.1 on a MacBook Pro, and I'm getting concerned. Previously I was able to run at the lowest buffer size setting (64) with absolutely zero problems, but now the CPU load meter fluctuates significantly even without any activity, and spikes into the red if I so much as recall a track's hotcue, with an accompanying pop or click. Naturally, a larger buffer size seems to alleviate the problem but not by much - and I really don't want to go any higher than 128; like I said things were working flawlessly at 64 before. I've removed my S4, my external hard drive and my USB hub and I'm still experiencing the problem, and loading up a shitload of things in Ableton on the same machine doesn't seem to work the processor nearly as hard, so I think the problem lies with the Traktor software itself. I've rolled back to a pre-2.5 version and forward to 2.5.1 again, and I've reinstalled all sorts of drivers, all to no avail.

Some talk on the NI forums suggests that this was a common issue when 2.5 was new, but the consensus over there seems to be that 2.5.1 fixed any inordinate CPU issues. Not for me. I'm all out of ideas, got any?

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Mister Speaker posted:

Is anyone else experiencing CPU load issues with the latest versions of Traktor? I'm on 2.5.1 on a MacBook Pro, and I'm getting concerned. Previously I was able to run at the lowest buffer size setting (64) with absolutely zero problems, but now the CPU load meter fluctuates significantly even without any activity, and spikes into the red if I so much as recall a track's hotcue, with an accompanying pop or click. Naturally, a larger buffer size seems to alleviate the problem but not by much - and I really don't want to go any higher than 128; like I said things were working flawlessly at 64 before. I've removed my S4, my external hard drive and my USB hub and I'm still experiencing the problem, and loading up a shitload of things in Ableton on the same machine doesn't seem to work the processor nearly as hard, so I think the problem lies with the Traktor software itself. I've rolled back to a pre-2.5 version and forward to 2.5.1 again, and I've reinstalled all sorts of drivers, all to no avail.

Some talk on the NI forums suggests that this was a common issue when 2.5 was new, but the consensus over there seems to be that 2.5.1 fixed any inordinate CPU issues. Not for me. I'm all out of ideas, got any?

What OS are you on? Mountain Lion, or earlier?

This is probably unrelated, but I'll post here anyways for other people's benefit.

I had been having a lot of stability issues with the audio driver for my Audio 8 after I did a fresh install of my OS, jumping up to Mountain Lion (was previously on Snow Leopard). Even with the latest "beta" Audio 8 drivers, it still would lose timecode tracking.

Some research suggested that it is a problem specific to USB 3.0 support that affects all versions of Mountain Lion and the last point release of Lion. I followed the workaround directions described here to essentially downgrade the kext file for USB support to a non-affected version. Since my laptop doesn't have USB 3.0 support in the hardware anyways, it's no big deal.

Played for 2.5 hours Saturday night with no issues after making this fix, whereas my previous gig I had to restart my laptop mid-set because it completely stopped tracking timecode after only about 30 minutes or so.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

vanilla slimfast posted:

What OS are you on? Mountain Lion, or earlier?

OS 10.6.8. Thanks, I'll try that fix and report back.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Mister Speaker posted:

OS 10.6.8. Thanks, I'll try that fix and report back.

...the fix I linked to is specific to 10.7.latest and 10.8.x only

Never had any issues on 10.6

phractured
Feb 21, 2008
Just got KRK Rokit 8s for my dorm room. Can't wait to mix on these tomorrow.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

phractured posted:

Just got KRK Rokit 8s for my dorm room. Can't wait to mix on these tomorrow.

Just don't crank them (or leave them crankable by drunk people) and accidentally blow out your $500 pair of studio monitors at a dorm party!

phractured
Feb 21, 2008

Vidmaster posted:

Just don't crank them (or leave them crankable by drunk people) and accidentally blow out your $500 pair of studio monitors at a dorm party!

Campus Police would be in my room before I had the knob at 0Db haha.

I'm really loving these monitors so far. I use to DJ on some extremely small Bose computer speakers, but the highs and mids and lows were not clear at all. With these new speakers I can really hear everything I am doing with the EQs now which should prove to help me mix better.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

Vidmaster posted:

My Rokit 6's are more than enough for my 600sq/ft loft, I can't even imagine needing 8's!

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

I brought a 15" pa and similar sized sub into dorms the only semester I lived in them.

Every RA in the building sure loved me.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

vanilla slimfast posted:

...the fix I linked to is specific to 10.7.latest and 10.8.x only

Never had any issues on 10.6

Oh drat, brain-fart. I was thinking 10.7 was Mountain Lion. Suppose I should update, yeah? Thanks anyway.

Re: Large speakers; college parties. That's why I loved living in a fully-detached house with the VP Entertainment in my college years. One of our roommates had a JBL PA that he'd stick in our hallway, while another had his DJ gear out on our kitchen counter. We also put a smoke machine in our bathroom. Our parties were off the chain.

I miss college.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Mister Speaker posted:

Oh drat, brain-fart. I was thinking 10.7 was Mountain Lion. Suppose I should update, yeah? Thanks anyway.

Honestly, if you're not itching for any of the 10.8 features, I would wait until the next point release (10.8.2). Usually takes a few iterations to get some of the kinks worked out

Only reason I upgraded was because I did a full fresh install on a newly installed SSD in my aging MBP

edit: also apparently the issues I was experiencing do not affect the newer audio interfaces (the A6 and A10) because they support USB3

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
God, I miss DJing.

I used to do it about ten years ago. Vinyl, turntables, and a mixer. I remember lugging around 100 records to clubs. Back then this area I live in was a wasteland for any sort of electronic music, but it's growing now.

Let's say I wanted to get back into it. Help this old fart achieve is dream. It looks like the setup these days is a controller hooked up to an Apple running some sort of DJ software? I don't need to perfectly emulate the vinyl experience (a-la Serato), but is something like Serato Itch hooked up to a controller like an NS7 the way to go?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I have a similar 'what software?' question but with added fun of owning a set of vinyl decks already so the requirement of an interface. What's the difference between something like Serato Scratch, Traktor and the few other (and cheaper) options on the market? How much of the cost is the old 'industry standard' bullshit?

Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

"the": yes, a controller would work just fine for you if you just want to mix some tracks together and it's much cheaper than buying turntables and a mixer.

88h88: Serato and Traktor are both good, Traktor has more options (vst support, auto-beatmatch and such) and I think is a bit cheaper to get started. What do you mean by "industry standard?" In terms of digital vinyl systems the standard was Serato for years but Traktor has caught up recently so they're both good choices.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
Man. I have a gig at a bar for my friends 30th birthday. There's about 100 people RSVP'd so far.So nervous.

And I don't have a performing name yet so that'll make that conversation awkward.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

How about DJ mumbles?

Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

DJ I Love Requests

oredun
Apr 12, 2007
DJ Crazy Clown

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

DJ Silly Gimmick

Edit:

If you're a girl: DJ Look At My Boobs

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
I love you guys, but man you are the worst sometimes.

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010
DJ Worst Sometimes

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
DJ Call Me Maybe

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
DJ bat mitzvah.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
DJ avicci

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008
dj party rocker

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010
DJ No Cover

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
Just put this up on a projector, you'll be good:

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

Alfajor posted:

Just put this up on a projector, you'll be good:

this too I assume?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Muck and Mire posted:

88h88: Serato and Traktor are both good, Traktor has more options (vst support, auto-beatmatch and such) and I think is a bit cheaper to get started. What do you mean by "industry standard?" In terms of digital vinyl systems the standard was Serato for years but Traktor has caught up recently so they're both good choices.

I meant industry standard in a similar way to how Pioneer's CDJ series are kinda the standard. I was just wondering if there was something that was deemed better for any reason.

So it looks like Traktor is the one to go for then if it has more options. Thanks for that!

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004
I don't have any experience with DVSes but in the past I've heard people recommend Serato for straight-forward vinyl emulation and Traktor for people who play mostly electronic music and want to use a lot of looping and FX.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I need a recommendation for a mobile DJ table or "facade". I do 4-5 weddings a year and my setup right now looks completely unprofessional with wires hanging everywhere and all my gear propped on top of odyssey cases. I was looking at something like this: http://www.odysseygear.com/odyssey-products/swftt5816b/dj-table-facade-screen-58in-by-46in.html but would like to hear recommendations from other DJs who do private events. I don't do lighting so I don't want the specific thing I linked to.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

88h88 posted:

I have a similar 'what software?' question but with added fun of owning a set of vinyl decks already so the requirement of an interface. What's the difference between something like Serato Scratch, Traktor and the few other (and cheaper) options on the market? How much of the cost is the old 'industry standard' bullshit?

Serato used to be the no bullshit vinyl software, basically just an MP3 library with waveforms. Traktor has caught up though and a lot of DJs are playing vinyl with Traktor now. You need a fairly good computer to run Traktor as it has a lot of bells and whistles while Serato is lighter on the CPU.

Traktor has very good loop controls, queue point management, effects, auto sync, among other things. Although if you want to comfortably control all of the features you want a midi controller to go along with your set up...

Do you plan on playing out? What do people in your city use? If you're throwing a night with somebody it's much easier to share the hardware than to gently caress with setting up between sets. Some bigger venues have Serato boxes (the proprietary soundcards) in the booth making life easier.

Do you want to produce? Like I mentioned earlier Serato uses proprietary hardware but with Traktor you can use basically any soundcard which you can also use for other controllers and software like Ableton, Maschine, etc.

Like with any DJ gear, I strongly advice to try stuff out and see what you like, what fits your style, what's in your price range, etc.

Firaga fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Nov 1, 2012

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Firaga posted:

Serato used to be the no bullshit vinyl software, basically just an MP3 library with waveforms. Traktor has caught up though and a lot of DJs are playing vinyl with Traktor now. You need a fairly good computer to run Traktor as it has a lot of bells and whistles while Serato is lighter on the CPU.

Traktor has very good loop controls, queue point management, effects, auto sync, among other things. Although if you want to comfortably control all of the features you want a midi controller to go along with your set up...

Do you plan on playing out? What do people in your city use? If you're throwing a night with somebody it's much easier to share the hardware than to gently caress with setting up between sets. Some bigger venues have Serato boxes (the proprietary soundcards) in the booth making life easier.

Do you want to produce? Like I mentioned earlier Serato uses proprietary hardware but with Traktor you can use basically any soundcard which you can also use for other controllers and software like Ableton, Maschine, etc.

Like with any DJ gear, I strongly advice to try stuff out and see what you like, what fits your style, what's in your price range, etc.

Cheers for the information, it's very helpful! Currently I play for a hobby, I have a set of CDJs and can handle those pretty well but the proper decks were given to me by a friend so I could 'take care' of them and maybe learn how to use vinyl properly. I fully realise Serato and Traktor won't necessarily help me in doing this as it's essentially the same as using USB via my CDJs but with the added bonus of a full colour heads up display. Effects and stuff I'm not entirely sure I'd use anyway, I've managed 18 months without feeling the need but having semi-foolproof loop controls would be nice as on the CDJs it's not perfect by any means (they're Pioneer 350s).

Currently don't play anywhere other than my bedroom though I'm amassing a fairly monstrous PA kit with the intention to perhaps throw a few parties to see what the feeling is, this town's trash for anything other than crappy local bands and generic top 40 stuff and the kit they use to pump out the sound is just so laughably bad it actually ruins the experience.

Producing? I'll probably try my hand at some point but right now it's not something I have time for.

Thanks again for the info, it's given me a bit to think about before I go rushing to pick something up.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
A friend told me about this when she watched it live and she was all :aaa:

I didn't think it was that bad until she found out that they actually posted it to be re-watched: http://boilerroom.tv/erykah-badu-30-min-mix/

*ninja edit: it's a bad :aaa:. Amazingly bad.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Beatport is doing some kind promotion this month

Use promo code "UNLOCK" to get 10%, if you use it by Nov 6th then you get another code to use for 20% by nov 14, and if you use that, you unlock some yet-unknown third code

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

Alfajor posted:

A friend told me about this when she watched it live and she was all :aaa:

I didn't think it was that bad until she found out that they actually posted it to be re-watched: http://boilerroom.tv/erykah-badu-30-min-mix/

*ninja edit: it's a bad :aaa:. Amazingly bad.

God that was... something

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

That hat is dope.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

*wildly stabs at Novation Dicers*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
I think Serato Audio Research is hiring :allears: It's a pity I've never done QA before.