Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Zedicus Mann posted:

Edited: Oh, and I've been playing GTA Chinatown Wars. This is kind of special to me since it was my first GTA game back on NDS. Now I've got it for PSP. Feels like some kind of HD remake, really.

That game was so good, I wish they had made a sequel, or will at some point. It could have some cool 3DS effects like skyscrapers literally poking up out of the screen at you and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

Maybe they'll do one for GTA V

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I hope the top-down view option from GTAIII makes another appearance someday.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Mammal Sauce posted:

I hope the top-down view option from GTAIII makes another appearance someday.

Only if it's far enough above so that you can actually see where you're driving...

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Rockstar is officially a retard company run by idiots if they don't re-use the Drug Wars ripoff mini/meta-game from Chinatown wars.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Rockstar is officially a retard company run by idiots if they don't re-use the Drug Wars ripoff mini/meta-game from Chinatown wars.

I'm pretty sure their sales numbers will be fine with or without that.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

ElwoodCuse posted:

The fiscal year is whatever anyone wants it to be.

Remember that Rockstar is owned by Take-Two Interactive. Take-Two's fiscal year runs from April 1 - March 31. The company reported a net loss for fiscal '12 and recently downgraded its full-year outlook for fiscal 2013 due to slower-than-expected sales of certain titles. They've got Bioshock Infinite still coming out, but I have to imagine that they're leaning on Rockstar to deliver GTAV sooner rather than later, especially since there's no Max Payne 3, L.A. Noire or Red Dead Redemption drawing QA and other resources from Rockstar North.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I'm an American. I'm well aware of the fact that being a retard idiot doesn't preclude you from making millions.

Lucid Delusion
Dec 23, 2009

You're merely postponing the inevitable.

Timby posted:

Remember that Rockstar is owned by Take-Two Interactive. Take-Two's fiscal year runs from April 1 - March 31. The company reported a net loss for fiscal '12 and recently downgraded its full-year outlook for fiscal 2013 due to slower-than-expected sales of certain titles. They've got Bioshock Infinite still coming out, but I have to imagine that they're leaning on Rockstar to deliver GTAV sooner rather than later, especially since there's no Max Payne 3, L.A. Noire or Red Dead Redemption drawing QA and other resources from Rockstar North.

How did Max Payne 3 do in the end anyway? I enjoyed the game but it was inside a very crowded launch window which I would assume places it into the "slower than expected sales" category.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Lucid Delusion posted:

How did Max Payne 3 do in the end anyway? I enjoyed the game but it was inside a very crowded launch window which I would assume places it into the "slower than expected sales" category.

it was considered a flop despite selling about 440k copies in the first month.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
gently caress it, combine the two series. Take out 3 radio stations and replace all the audio space on the disc with random inner monologues that trigger based on what you see on the street.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

The street preacher shouted down the night like a man who just caught his children playing with a gun. His endlessly creative shamings put me out of the mood for driving the Comet parked outside. Sin. Theft. Self loathing. The reflection off the obscenely expensive paintjob made me want to throw up. The thought made me decide to walk to Cluckin' Bell...

Here we go again. Sometimes I thank God I'm too drunk to remember how I ended up on this bridge, going 100 miles an hour with a screaming passenger I don't even know. Very wrong place...very wrong time. I can see her calculating the odds in the slow-motion moment...jump out this demon of a moving vehicle? Or grip the seat and hope the cops ahead at the roadblock don't think you're an accomplice....

Honey, I woulda jumped

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Oct 22, 2012

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Mokinokaro posted:

Didn't it launch the same week as Diablo 3?

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
It sure as gently caress did. I remember that thing when I went to get my Diablo 3 at midnight.

So, assuming 2k goes under soon because it always feels like they're in trouble and/or relying on Rockstar to bail them out, who would the publisher for Rockstar's games be? EA seems a bit dried out these days and it would be silly to want to align with them in this time frame, but companies like THQ, and Activision, aren't much better ran. I'd honestly go with either Sega or Square-Enix.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Oct 22, 2012

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011
Is Rockstar not a big enough company to be able to self publish? (Most of) their games, GTA especially, sell like gangbusters. Or is there more to it than just money?

Either way, I can't see Sega publishing a GTA game. Of the two, Square-Enix seems the most likely.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Mokinokaro posted:

I wouldn't trust anything Pachter says if I were you.

If I recall correctly MP3 ended up selling (not shipping) around 3 million copies.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Squre-Enix becoming Rockstar's publisher would be hilarious and kind of awesome. But yeah I honestly have no idea why they don't just become a publisher themselves, I can't think of a developer with a better track record overall. I guess the issue would be that they don't put out enough games.

I can't believe Max Payne 3 was a flop, but then I remember that I still haven't bought it myself. :(

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Honey, I woulda jumped

I would play this.

Lucid Delusion
Dec 23, 2009

You're merely postponing the inevitable.

Himuro posted:

It sure as gently caress did. I remember that thing when I went to get my Diablo 3 at midnight.

So, assuming 2k goes under soon because it always feels like they're in trouble and/or relying on Rockstar to bail them out, who would the publisher for Rockstar's games be? EA seems a bit dried out these days and it would be silly to want to align with them in this time frame, but companies like THQ, and Activision, aren't much better ran. I'd honestly go with either Sega or Square-Enix.

I'd say EA or Activision are the best bets considering THQ was shuttering studios left and right this year. I don't think they're totally in the clear yet. However a deal with Rockstar would be a big boost for them.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
What about Bethesda/Zenimax?

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Lucid Delusion posted:

I'd say EA or Activision are the best bets considering THQ was shuttering studios left and right this year. I don't think they're totally in the clear yet. However a deal with Rockstar would be a big boost for them.

I think Rockstar would steer clear from Activision and would go along with EA so long as they're given freedom.

Could anyone argue against Rockstar not self publishing?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Adun posted:

What about Bethesda/Zenimax?

They're the only major publisher who has so far settled for only gently loving consumers in the rear end rather than vigorous rape, so I would be ok with this.

precision posted:

I can't believe Max Payne 3 was a flop, but then I remember that I still haven't bought it myself. :(

Do yourself a favor and keep it that way. It's so bad it will ruin the first two games for you.

Himuro posted:

Could anyone argue against Rockstar not self publishing?

Once you climb in bed with a publisher their goal is to keep you dependent on them for funding. Rockstar makes what are probably THE most expensive to produce games in the industry, which also have some of the most expensive marketing campaigns. They are not getting free of those shackles any time soon, but it's their own drat fault for choosing them.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
How well did the first two Max Paynes sell?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Rockstar Games is already a publisher. They publish grand theft auto. 2K happens to own Rocktar Games.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Himuro posted:

Valve.

But really, Rockstar is pretty much a publishing company. They self publish(Max Payne 3, GTAIV, Bully, Red dead, Midnight Club) and published LA Noire(The devs bankrupted and I had no idea :(). I imagine they would continue doing so.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Rockstar self publishes? I thought 2k published and funded the money and Rockstar developed. Huh. The more you know.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Himuro posted:

Rockstar self publishes? I thought 2k published and funded the money and Rockstar developed. Huh. The more you know.

On paper it's Rockstar publishing their games. How much of behind the scenes money shuffling is going on between the companies is yet to be known.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Install Gentoo posted:

How well did the first two Max Paynes sell?

Max Payne 1 probably sold well enough to warrant the sequel it got. 2 was a flop since it wasn't advertised at all.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:

Mokinokaro posted:

In the modern video game industry, anything that doesn't sell millions on launch week like CoD is pretty much considered a flop.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.

VirtualStranger posted:

In the modern video game industry, anything that doesn't sell millions on launch week like CoD is pretty much considered a flop.

And Max Payne 3 has in development in some form or another for nearly a decade.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Rockstar probably could sustain itself on its own, and they definitely already publish their own titles, but the thing is that they're owned by Take-Two Interactive so they can't exactly choose who they work with. And as costly as Rockstar's games are, they usually make up that cost multiple times on the first week of sales (with Max Payne 3 being a notable exception) so I don't see why T2 would possibly want to get rid of Rockstar, considering GTA basically funds the whole company. 2K Games definitely doesn't own Rockstar, they're just the other subsidiary T2 Interactive owns.

e: Also, a GTA game with the Max Payne monologues would be amazing. Especially if Rockstar recorded a bunch of monologues, including for completely insane situations, such as flying cars (swing set glitch) and poo poo.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

K8.0 posted:

Do yourself a favor and keep it that way. It's so bad it will ruin the first two games for you.

It was a good game actually.

And as for publishers, self-publishing would be my first bet, Bethesda second. R* is definitely one of the more reliable developers and I would put them up there with id, but we all know what happened to id :(

In a perfect world, John Carmack would buy out R* with his hard earned futurebux and GTA: Hell on Earth would come bundled with Oculus Rift and packaged inside of a brick of gold.

vvvvvv Yeah that's true. I didn't know why I didn't consider Valve either. John Carmack is just the greatest person though :allears:

circ dick soleil fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Oct 23, 2012

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Hatbox Ghost posted:

In a perfect world, John Carmack would buy out R* with his hard earned futurebux and GTA: Hell on Earth would come bundled with Oculus Rift and packaged inside of a brick of gold.

I think I'd much rather see Valve buy out id or just give Carmack a decent enough incentive to jump ship. With Valve he'd at least have the freedom to go off and work on the things that he finds interesting (3d headsets, rockets, etc.). You can hear the sadness in his voice during some of his interviews when he talks about having to put his projects aside to do things for ZeniMax. I'd much rather see John Carmack given the freedom to do whatever he wants at a place like Valve and being beholden to customers than to have to spend his time helming a mega game corp or answering to a room full of shareholders.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.
First official artwork posted on newswire:

http://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/45811/gtav-artwork-pest-control.html

Rockstar promises "lots of new info" coming next month.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

High-res version: http://imgur.com/gf7L9

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
Silenced weapons and biological warfare: CONFIRMED

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Knightmare posted:

Silenced weapons and biological warfare: CONFIRMED

ANNA REX (on the building) is an anagram for An Ran Ex which translate to ancient arabic as 2/5/13, which means the game will release that day, you're all welcome.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Planes with trails : CONFIRMED

Highly Detailed interior car parts: CONFIRMED

Bumper stickers : CONFIRMED

Pest Control side missions: CONFIRMED

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Cel shading: CONFIRMED

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Physical
Sep 26, 2007

by T. Finninho

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

ANNA REX (on the building) is an anagram for An Ran Ex which translate to ancient arabic as 2/5/13, which means the game will release that day, you're all welcome.
That was also the name of the really skinny caricature billboard model in IV. As in anorexic.

• Locked thread