Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Liar Lyre posted:

I think you're over exaggerating the severity of the royalties. If I were him, I'd ask for a little upfront and allow them to distribute the DVDs and get a percentage of that back. I'd be mostly stoked that people want to see my movie

Yes but the point where this falls down is that you are sane and James Nguyen is very much not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ensign_Ricky posted:

I think that was the longest one.

Also, it occurs to me, did Nguyen not properly secure the rights on Birdemic? Or did Rifftrax have to pay severe royalties to use it in next week's live riff?

Edit: Guess I was wrong, Tim and Eric just hosted the premiere.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Oct 21, 2012

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Liar Lyre posted:

I think you're over exaggerating the severity of the royalties. If I were him, I'd ask for a little upfront and allow them to distribute the DVDs and get a percentage of that back. I'd be mostly stoked that people want to see my movie

This also hinges on the fact that the Nguyen considers his own film to be excellent as-is. I know that some directors object to their films being riffed.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Thank God for Rifftrax, because Hunger Games was a mess. Tracker jackers and muttations galore!

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

Liar Lyre posted:

I actually talked with someone from Severin (the distributor of "Birdemic") shortly after the DVD came out. The deal made worked out very well in James Nguyen's favor; both Nguyen and Severin got some money out of that movie's limited theater run and DVD release. For a movie that niche, it's rare to turn a profit so quickly, but they did.

For the live event though... not only do you have the theaters getting a cut, Fathom gets some of the money, whatever group does the camera and sound set-up for the live broadcast gets some of the money, Mike, Kevin, Bill, their writing and admin staff gets some of the money, Legend Films gets some of the money, Severin gets some of the money... so I doubt he gets much from it. Still, it's publicity for not only "Birdemic", but the sequel, so I'd guess he's pretty happy.

nach0king
Jan 11, 2007

GET BACK TO WORK!!!

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

When they riff good movies (Jaws, JP, Casablanca, Red Dawn) it's good. When they riff crap it's great. But my favorites are completely ridiculous movies (fantasy/Sci-Fi, comic book).

Harry Potter movies are heinously bad and chock full of stupid whimsy, and I can't wait for the rest of them. Each one has at least 20 solid laugh out loud lines.

The original would have been improved significantly by the line "Don't bogart that cigarette."

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

fenix down posted:

Thank God for Rifftrax, because Hunger Games was a mess. Tracker jackers and muttations galore!

I honestly thought the movie was fine. The Rifftrax made it more enjoyable, but it seemed pretty competent and not as goofy as a lot of the Sci-Fi stuff they do.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Have they ever done a riff for Timecop and if not, why not? It was on TV today and that is one goofy rear end movie.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

MassRayPer posted:

I honestly thought the movie was fine. The Rifftrax made it more enjoyable, but it seemed pretty competent and not as goofy as a lot of the Sci-Fi stuff they do.
True, but most of those goofy ones didn't make $400 million. I guess the best I can say is that compared to other blockbusters it's not as bad as Last Airbender or Day After Tomorrow.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Well I sure as hell wasn't expecting the Birdemic riff to be advertised in an announcement sticky across all the forums, holy crap!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Captain Invictus posted:

Well I sure as hell wasn't expecting the Birdemic riff to be advertised in an announcement sticky across all the forums, holy crap!

Why not? They usually work together on the live shows.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Interesting to see we're going to get another Mike/Lowtax riff.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Deadpool posted:

Why not? They usually work together on the live shows.
The last time they just got a sticky in GBS and that was it. To have a forum-wide announcement sticky is a pretty big step up!

I'm not saying I'm unhappy by the news, just a bit surprised.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

muscles like this? posted:

Interesting to see we're going to get another Mike/Lowtax riff.

Lowtax posted:

Additionally, SA and Rifftrax will soon be teaming up to riff on what I can confidently claim is The Worst Movie ever.

Over/under on it turning out to be Smiley? The hate Lowtax poured on it in GBS leads me to believe it could be nothing but.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I amped about the new shorts with Birdemic. I love the features, but the shorts always slay and the last set was incredible.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Has anyone figured out how those codes work or is Lowtax pulling our leg?

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Alan Smithee posted:

Has anyone figured out how those codes work or is Lowtax pulling our leg?

Probably pulling our collective legs.

The Piper
Feb 18, 2007

Step right up and greet the Mets
new VOD today! It's an 80's movie called Nightmare at Noon (also known as Death Street USA?) and stars the one and only WINGS HAUSER! The plot summary is nearly identical to that of Mutant.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Liar Lyre posted:

I amped about the new shorts with Birdemic. I love the features, but the shorts always slay and the last set was incredible.

"Does it?"

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

The Piper posted:

new VOD today! It's an 80's movie called Nightmare at Noon (also known as Death Street USA?) and stars the one and only WINGS HAUSER! The plot summary is nearly identical to that of Mutant.

I really don't want to look up just how much money I've given to Rifftrax this year.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Got a ticket to see the Birdemic Live show.

Has Rifftrax ever done a Russo-Finnish saga? Those were some of my favorite MST3K shows just because how utterly wierd the cultural disconnect is. I mean in Japanese films, yeah they're weird, but after a while you tend to expect the brand of weirdness they offer. The Russo-Finnish films though, it's like I have no idea what's even going on. :psyboom:

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

I would like to thank Rifftrax for introducing me to the fantastic world of Wings Hauser movies.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

therealjon_ posted:

I would like to thank Rifftrax for introducing me to the fantastic world of Wings Hauser movies.

You HAVE seen Vice Squad,right?

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
I admit I haven't seen Mutant yet. Should I assume from the Wings love that it's totally worth it?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Oh God, the "star" of Laserblast is in Nightmare at Noon.

Saskatoon
Sep 17, 2010

Does he blow up a sign that reads "Battlestar Galactica" in that one?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

bobservo posted:

I really don't want to look up just how much money I've given to Rifftrax this year.

I think I've grabbed every VOD that's come out this year. They're all at least 10 bucks worth of entertainment. And I usually grab the most recent couple of shorts at the same time. A small price for more pseudo MST3k.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Saskatoon posted:

Does he blow up a sign that reads "Battlestar Galactica" in that one?

They would be more likely to blow up a sign for High Noon in this movie.

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica
I finally bought my ticket for the Birdemic event. I had to fly 500 miles to go see it, but damnit, I will see Rifftrax Live and it will be great.

What time should I arrive at the theatre? I've heard talk of pre-film "movie trivia" and stuff, but how long before the movie does that start?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I believe the pre-movie stuff is about a ten minute loop. So if you want to see all the joke bits you'll want to show up earlier than that.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Anyone in the downtown Atlanta, Georgia area know what theaters to go with? If I'm at the GWCC, where should I go if I want to see this?

tagelthebagel
Oct 23, 2008
I am so psyched for yet another RiffTrax Live! Be hitting it up in Pensacola Florida Bayou Rave. Woo hoo!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

AMC Palace 20 in New Orleans here. I almost forgot that this was happening tomorrow until I saw the ticket in my wallet. Now I'm really excited!

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
Iowa City chiming in. Our fourth one at the Sycamore! The question of "Is corn a grass?" held a special place in Iowans hearts that night.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I am sick and miserable, but I don't care. I'm gonna go see Birdemic anyway.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

muscles like this? posted:

I believe the pre-movie stuff is about a ten minute loop. So if you want to see all the joke bits you'll want to show up earlier than that.

Quoting myself to answer again because according to a recent Facebook post the trivia stuff is on a 20 minute loop.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

It's a good idea to be there nearly an hour early because seats go fast. If it's more than just two going, you have to be there stupidly early

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

For the Manos one, I got to my theater 15 minutes early and was able to get a seat. The theater was filling up relatively quickly, but there were still plenty of seats available. If you can help it, don't miss the pre-show trivia and stuff like that. It's all pretty loving funny.

nach0king
Jan 11, 2007

GET BACK TO WORK!!!
Dallas checking in.

Last one of these I went to was pretty quiet. No problem getting four seats. Just the two of us this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I just found out that for the first time Rifftrax Live is actually going to be at a theater close to me. So I'll be able to see Birdemic. Yay!

• Locked thread