Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Candyheart posted:

This game looks pretty fun and the atmosphere from the trailers alone seems more interesting than Dishonoreds. Too bad it couldn't make the holiday schedule. Also holy poo poo you guys are so angry about sexuality in video games. Especially the games where you just kill everyone in exciting ways to suppress your boredom. Like this one!

But that's kind of the thing. The violence is at least there to be fun and is served by gameplay. Shooting bees out of your hand and clubbing a guy over the head is fun gameplay. I don't know of too many games where the gameplay is enhanced by the presence of boobs. Violence in video games is at least fun and lends itself to entertaining gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zooloo
Mar 30, 2003

just wanted to make you something beautiful
Say you've got a game with an obvious non-gameplay problem. This issue is probably low-hanging fruit. It's been discussed repeatedly by now. You feel it's very important however, so you post about it. You roundly condemn the game for the flaw.

Here's what's going to happen!

Three kinds of people will argue with you.

The first group will feel that you're attacking them because they like the product. They will downplay the significance of the flaw or claim that two wrongs make a right. You'll become upset because they're dismissing your criticism. They'll become upset because you're insinuating that they're bad people.

The second group will believe you're wrong. They will argue with you directly, adamantly. You'll be upset because they have beliefs antithetical to your own. They'll be upset because of the same. They'll continue to be upset even if all logic and heaven and earth proves that you're in the right. After all, you're both arguing to win the argument--not to come to a consensus.

The third group will be tired of seeing people like you argue with members of the first and second groups. They'll dismiss your flaw as known and probably also unfixable. You'll become upset because you feel they're not taking you or the issue seriously. They'll become upset because you won't drop the subject.

The solution? If it's low-hanging fruit, stop picking it. Elizabeth's breasts are a known problem and I'm forbidding repetition of the subject so that other discussions have room to flourish.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

Crappy Jack posted:

But that's kind of the thing. The violence is at least there to be fun and is served by gameplay. Shooting bees out of your hand and clubbing a guy over the head is fun gameplay. I don't know of too many games where the gameplay is enhanced by the presence of boobs. Violence in video games is at least fun and lends itself to entertaining gameplay.

Not everything in a high-production videogame is about "enhancing the gameplay." It's about making a cohesive and attractive presentation, hopefully with a single underlying artistic and/or visual direction. If the presentation and design work well in tandem, that makes for a better game, but not everything necessarily is "in service" to the gameplay.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
The low hanging fruitboob moratorium is off to a great start!

Video games give me vertigo, sometimes, when I'm on something tall. It's actually kind of a pleasant feeling, because the lack of any real risk makes the experience somewhat muted compared to real life, and it definitely makes the bridge section of Half-Life 2 or the part in Dishonored where you're up on top of the bridge quite memorable. I'm curious as to whether they're going to embrace that with Infinite, or whether they want to mitigate it so you're not constantly feeling like "oh poo poo, I'm going to faaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllll." I for one know that no amount of safety railings would ever make me feel safe on a flying city even if I weren't zipping around with my wrist hook thing or getting into gunfights where I had to run around.

I'm worried that there aren't going to be too many open ledges/sheer drops/easy ways to accidentally fall off and kill yourself, because that might get too annoying for people. I don't want walls around my city! I think the ideal thing would be some sort of method whereby you could recover from falling over a ledge if you reacted fast enough. That would keep the adrenaline surge that comes from the vertigo that video games can give when I'm high up, but remove the tedium of quickloading very 5 minutes when you backpedal off the side of the world during a gunfight.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

TychoCelchuuu posted:

The low hanging fruitboob moratorium is off to a great start!

Video games give me vertigo, sometimes, when I'm on something tall. It's actually kind of a pleasant feeling, because the lack of any real risk makes the experience somewhat muted compared to real life, and it definitely makes the bridge section of Half-Life 2 or the part in Dishonored where you're up on top of the bridge quite memorable. I'm curious as to whether they're going to embrace that with Infinite, or whether they want to mitigate it so you're not constantly feeling like "oh poo poo, I'm going to faaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllll." I for one know that no amount of safety railings would ever make me feel safe on a flying city even if I weren't zipping around with my wrist hook thing or getting into gunfights where I had to run around.

I'm worried that there aren't going to be too many open ledges/sheer drops/easy ways to accidentally fall off and kill yourself, because that might get too annoying for people. I don't want walls around my city! I think the ideal thing would be some sort of method whereby you could recover from falling over a ledge if you reacted fast enough. That would keep the adrenaline surge that comes from the vertigo that video games can give when I'm high up, but remove the tedium of quickloading very 5 minutes when you backpedal off the side of the world during a gunfight.

Well, this game is first person, right? I really hope they shy away from platforming - it rarely goes well in that format. I am hoping that we can shove enemies off of the city, and that being shoved off is also going to be a concern, however I really don't want to have to navigate narrow walkways unless the camera goes into third person and an intuitive set of controls similar to something like Prince of Persia comes into play.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Dirk the Average posted:

Well, this game is first person, right? I really hope they shy away from platforming - it rarely goes well in that format. I am hoping that we can shove enemies off of the city, and that being shoved off is also going to be a concern, however I really don't want to have to navigate narrow walkways unless the camera goes into third person and an intuitive set of controls similar to something like Prince of Persia comes into play.
I've never had trouble with narrow walkways in FPSs, just point your cursor so it's in line with the walkway and you won't fall off. It's easier than walking on them in real life, I think.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I didn't mean I wanted the game to be Prince of Persia or whatever, I just want to have to worry about wandering off the edge if I don't pay attention to where I'm going. Like, if I just hold down the "walk forwards" button, I want to eventually fall off the edge. The psychological difference between "I can generally just walk wherever I want, including strafing sideways/backwards without paying much attention, because the game doesn't let me fall off too often" and "better make sure I know where I'm standing so I don't end up falling to earth" is kind of big in my mind. The reason I suggested some way to get back up if you fall is because it would give the developers more freedom to allow you to fall without just making that an instant game over.

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

The farmer's mistake was believing he had any control over his life.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I've never had trouble with narrow walkways in FPSs, just point your cursor so it's in line with the walkway and you won't fall off. It's easier than walking on them in real life, I think.

The company that makes the ladders and pipelines for Black Mesa would like a word with you :colbert:

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Ultimately, I think I prefer the Deus Ex-style gameplay choices than a more standard run and gun game. I liked Bioshock, but it was the world that was more compelling than the gameplay. Its fine but I really didn't feel like taking my time and seeing if I could have taken a different strategy like in Deus Ex/Dishonored.

Anyway, I thought the interesting part about Apollo Square was that while it was half finished, it gave the feeling that other parts of Rapture didn't, that the Civil War was brutal and protracted. It is unfortunate they didn't do more with it since it is kind of the more pivotable spots in Rapture.

Maybe I just wanted the Deus-exifcation of Bioshock, give me some fluff text to read, somewhere to sneak and more political intrigue/local insight.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I like how on their preorder page, the first image of the Collectors Edition shows a badass looking Songbird statue:

Then you scroll down and see the actual shipping quality of the statue. Nice, the paint job sucks and looks like they used about 3 colors.

Also, the quality of the miniature is sub-par and something you'd expect by some low-rent miniatures clearing house from 30 years ago.

Bloody Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Oct 23, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The molding is a lot less detailed as well. The collector's edition looks very disappointing. People really need to stop buying those things.

I really love the massive entanglements of the Skylines you see in the gameplay videos. I want to just ride around jumping from skyline to skyline all day.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The collector's edition looks awesome. Everybody really needs to buy this thing.

Speaking of collector's editions everybody needs to buy; has anybody seen any trace of the Ultimate Songbird pre-orders for the UK? Supposedly to have started showing up on Monday, yet aside from a couple premium versions from one or two stores, there has yet to be any sign of them.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

Theglavwen posted:

Speaking of collector's editions everybody needs to buy; has anybody seen any trace of the Ultimate Songbird pre-orders for the UK? Supposedly to have started showing up on Monday, yet aside from a couple premium versions from one or two stores, there has yet to be any sign of them.

Nope. I've been searching Amazon which is marked as a partner on the site every day but nothing so far.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed
You won't find them because the Songbird edition is a GAME exclusive. The other stores are only selling the premium edition.

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

host after host after host ...
Bioshock opens with the character Jack on a aircraft with a package (which contains a revolver, we see in later flashbacks) and he ends up in a underwater city.

Bioshock: Infinite opens (guessing) with the main character Booker on a boat with a package which contains a pistol (and photographs of Elizabeth) and he ends up in a flying city.

Gonna go ahead and call it:
Bioshock: Ultimate opens with the character, umm, Frank, on a subway with a package that contains a hand-held deathray (and cookies) and he ends up on a steam-powered spacestation.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
Bioshock: Revelations will begin with a little old lady sitting on a bus. She opens her handbag, revealing a pistol and some photographs, shifts it all aside to pull out a pack of mints. She chews them whilst her bus cruises uneventfully...along an underground tunnel that opens up into a geo-thermal city underground.

You play as Jim Darby, a good-natured Cockney mining for heat in the furnace-like tunnels half a mile below. The old woman is never relevant

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

host after host after host ...

RentCavalier posted:

Bioshock: Revelations will begin with a little old lady sitting on a bus. She opens her handbag, revealing a pistol and some photographs, shifts it all aside to pull out a pack of mints. She chews them whilst her bus cruises uneventfully...along an underground tunnel that opens up into a geo-thermal city underground.

You play as Jim Darby, a good-natured Cockney mining for heat in the furnace-like tunnels half a mile below. The old woman is never relevant

No, thats Bioshock: Reloaded

Bioshock: Revelations is the untold story of John "Johnny Topside" Topsyde, who was riding on a... umm, uhh, a autogyro I guess, with a package containing a spear-pistol (and brownies) and he ends up in the underwater city of Rapture.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

Tequila Ranger posted:

No, thats Bioshock: Reloaded

Bioshock: Revelations is the untold story of John "Johnny Topside" Topsyde, who was riding on a... umm, uhh, a autogyro I guess, with a package containing a spear-pistol (and brownies) and he ends up in the underwater city of Rapture.

Only for Kinect!

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

Category Fun! posted:

You won't find them because the Songbird edition is a GAME exclusive. The other stores are only selling the premium edition.

Aha, there it is. Brilliant, thank you. Can't say I'm too psyched about going through GAME, but better than having it shipped over from Amazon.com I guess.

Cheaper anyway.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

RentACop posted:

I mean if you consider Call of Duty, no-one really cares that Black Ops is in a different universe than Modern Warfare or the WW2 games.

From a few pages back, but the Black Ops games and the WWII games actually share the same setting and characters. The Modern Warfare games might, it'd depend on if Black Ops II ends up referencing/contradicting the massive US/Russia war from Modern Warfare 2 and 3. :eng101:

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Xenomrph posted:

From a few pages back, but the Black Ops games and the WWII games actually share the same setting and characters. The Modern Warfare games might, it'd depend on if Black Ops II ends up referencing/contradicting the massive US/Russia war from Modern Warfare 2 and 3. :eng101:

Does BOps share a setting with 1, 2 and 3, or just World at War?

I think that Infinite will link up with Bioshock One (and therefore Two); Maybe Columbia crashes into the sea at the end? Knowing Levine, maybe Booker de Witt is Frank Fontaine in disguise...

It's really irrespective. I didn't think Bioshock or Bioshock 2 were spectacular storywise, it was in their setting and in the more high-brow tone of some of the underlying currents in those stories.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

If Bioshock and Bioshock Infinite weren't set in the same universe, the devs would have said so already. Their evasiveness is a great big scream of "YES!"

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

The game takes place like 30 years before Rapture was started, Ryan would have been a kid.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Fooz posted:

The game takes place like 30 years before Rapture was started, Ryan would have been a kid.
A really, really annoying kid with no friends, I bet.

As I imagine Ayn Rand was.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Oct 25, 2012

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Fooz posted:

A kid living in Columbia, who dreams of a better way Under The Sea.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Judging from this thread, a lot of people are anticipating this game to come out so they can very visibly not like it on the internet.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Fonzarelli posted:

Judging from this thread, a lot of people are anticipating this game to come out so they can very visibly not like it on the internet.

Wait, I thought the XCOM FPS game was filling that role.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

DStecks posted:

If Bioshock and Bioshock Infinite weren't set in the same universe, the devs would have said so already. Their evasiveness is a great big scream of "YES!"
I think it could be more that there's no real yes or no answer because they're not causally connected. Like, I really doubt you're going to see a young Andrew Ryan in Columbia, airships landing in the sea to start Rapture, or anything else beyond maybe an easter-egg reference or two. They are similar worlds because Levine & co are exploring similar but different themes, not trying to tell a single narrative story.

Given these two possibilities:
a) Bioshock & Infinite are in the same universe, but there are no visible plot connections or concrete shared history beyond the source Americana. Infinite being in Bioshock's past doesn't explain anything beyond maybe the reason that Rapture seemed normal to it's residents (this poo poo happens frequently).
b) Bioshock & Infinite are two different universes out of a multitude of "bioshock-y" alternate pasts, each one diverging from reality around a different set of super-science + political idea gone mad.
Is there any difference, really?

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Wait, I thought the XCOM FPS game was filling that role.

Well there's no need for that to come out in order for everyone to not like it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Fonzarelli posted:

If it's a return to the ratio of scriptedness/exploration that Bioshock 1 had, then I won't have many complaints really (other than a dumb moral choice system that I am convinced that they just can't avoid putting in, but I'm done talking about that). But I know what forces are at work on the FPS genre as a whole, and they're pushing it away from exploration and towards scripted, so that's why I am worried.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Oct 25, 2012

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Game's gonna kick rear end. If you can't summon a Big Daddy using Elizabeth's reality warping at some point I'll be incredibly surprised.

Back to my media blackout on the game. :colbert:

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Genetic Toaster posted:

Game's gonna kick rear end. If you can't summon a Big Daddy using Elizabeth's reality warping at some point I'll be incredibly surprised.

Oh right they have time and space travel. Yeah, there'll be a chapter in which you explore Rapture with Elizabeth after a failed warp. If they really wanna do that well it'll be during the big superpower war.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Yeah there's no way they won't have a Big Daddy drop in or you swing through a small section of Rapture or something somewhere along the line. Elizabeth's powers make this super likely, with how we've seen them used so far, and how cool of a setpiece that would be.

I kind of hope we end up seeing a few other weird alternate future/past locations here and there throughout the game. Maybe as she comes to control her powers better she can use one of them you've seen earlier on purpose later in the game to escape something.

I don't think it'd be a full chapter of the game, but certainly a small "woah, cool" moment.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

Kelp Plankton posted:

Yeah there's no way they won't have a Big Daddy drop in or you swing through a small section of Rapture or something somewhere along the line. Elizabeth's powers make this super likely, with how we've seen them used so far, and how cool of a setpiece that would be.

I kind of hope we end up seeing a few other weird alternate future/past locations here and there throughout the game. Maybe as she comes to control her powers better she can use one of them you've seen earlier on purpose later in the game to escape something.

I don't think it'd be a full chapter of the game, but certainly a small "woah, cool" moment.

Well, I mean we've already seen a tiny Rapture-like thing in that water-globe in the debut trailer. It's possible we might see more but I'd hope that they can surprise us with more new and surprising locations and events.

To be clear, a Rapture/Big Daddy cameo would be cool! But I wouldn't hold my breath (:thejoke:) on it.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
Some of these posts sort of concern me. One person is saying that violence is OK in a game because it's fun, but tits are bad because ???

I guess I'm a bit strange in that I would consider a naked woman a far better image than a clothed man getting a pipe to the face (insert innuendo). But to each their own I guess.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
You're also a bit strange in that you're trying to revive that topic.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

RentCavalier posted:

Some of these posts sort of concern me. One person is saying that violence is OK in a game because it's fun, but tits are bad because ???

I guess I'm a bit strange in that I would consider a naked woman a far better image than a clothed man getting a pipe to the face (insert innuendo). But to each their own I guess.
Let the topic die.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Klyith posted:

I think it could be more that there's no real yes or no answer because they're not causally connected. Like, I really doubt you're going to see a young Andrew Ryan in Columbia, airships landing in the sea to start Rapture, or anything else beyond maybe an easter-egg reference or two. They are similar worlds because Levine & co are exploring similar but different themes, not trying to tell a single narrative story.

Given these two possibilities:
a) Bioshock & Infinite are in the same universe, but there are no visible plot connections or concrete shared history beyond the source Americana. Infinite being in Bioshock's past doesn't explain anything beyond maybe the reason that Rapture seemed normal to it's residents (this poo poo happens frequently).
b) Bioshock & Infinite are two different universes out of a multitude of "bioshock-y" alternate pasts, each one diverging from reality around a different set of super-science + political idea gone mad.
Is there any difference, really?

What makes you think any of this?

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

The farmer's mistake was believing he had any control over his life.
Small point, but I think Ryan is known to have grown up in Russia, which is where his hatred of communism comes from. You may now return to :speculate:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

MoreLikeTen posted:

Small point, but I think Ryan is known to have grown up in Russia, which is where his hatred of communism comes from. You may now return to :speculate:

Doesn't Russia figure into Bioshock Infinite though? I think that first trailer showed some the reality warping mechanics, and at one point one of the enemy guys started to change and his USA button changed into a hammer and sickle.

• Locked thread