Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:
So... why do you need voice chat in a racing game?

edit:

Or any non-coop game? Team Deathmatch sort of stuff I can understand a bit though, gotta control those little mongrels some how.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Edoraz posted:

edit:

Or any non-coop game? Team Deathmatch sort of stuff I can understand a bit though, gotta control those little mongrels some how.
It's fun talking with the right people.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Bobnumerotres posted:

It. loving. Begins.

I want to cancel my preorder.

I just don't loving. Ugh. Nintendo is as loving dumb as ever and hasn't learned a thing.

God drat you nintendo for not putting voice support in this sega game

absolutely anything fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Oct 23, 2012

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Edoraz posted:

If you're playing online, you'd rather sit in silence and have no communication with the people you're playing with?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

absolutely anything posted:

god drat you nintendo for not putting voice support in this sega game

It's a valid criticism. Xbox for instance requires you to actually apply for a waiver to not have voice chat in any online game, and in offline games you can still chat with any friend playing any other game through party. Nintendo will hopefully add that functionality to their os at some point apparently it wasn't always that way even on Xbox. But it is that way now. And Nintendo should be held to the standards of now.

But none of my friends are going to own this anyway, so voice chat is not a deal breaker to me. Especially on a racing game.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

god drat you nintendo for not putting voice support in this sega game

Well it supports voice chat on other platforms, so there's probably a reason that they cut it from the Wii U version, and it's not unlikely that it's because of some stupid yet typical decision from Nintendo.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

DarkHamsterlord posted:

Well it supports voice chat on other platforms, so there's probably a reason that they cut it from the Wii U version, and it's not unlikely that it's because of some stupid yet typical decision from Nintendo.

This exactly.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Bobnumerotres posted:

This exactly.

I wonder if perhaps they have a policy thai voice chat can only be in M or M and T rated games? I presume Sonic is E10+?

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
I would really put my money on Sega being bad/dumb/cheap before saying it's some weird Nintendo decision making/meddling or whatever.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Surlaw posted:

It's fun talking with the right people.

I agree.

thexerox123 posted:

If you're playing online, you'd rather sit in silence and have no communication with the people you're playing with?

And I also don't mind this.

:effort:

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Edoraz posted:

And I also don't mind this.

:effort:

I guess I should have specified "with friends", I don't mind going mic-less if I'm playing a random public game, but it just feels weird not being able to communicate with friends when playing a game online. I know from the very few times that I played Brawl or Mario Kart online. :\

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I hate sitting in silence online, not even seeing text messages and stuff, because unless another player does something really outlandish I completely forget I'm not playing with bots.

Even the annoying people add flavor to it for me. I mean not music-blasting annoying but everyone else is welcome.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

You know, for Battlefield 3, DICE cut voice chat for the PC version. Also, not even text chat for co-op either, they left that out.

Sometimes companies do stupid poo poo for no reason.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The lack of voice chat in Sonic All-Stars is essentially a launch title thing, not a Nintendo thing. From the producer at Sumo Digital:

quote:

I've just commented on this over at Eurogamer. Bear in mind Voice chat is only supported by third party peripherals and then only on the GamePad. Given we felt only a select few players would therefore go buy said peripheral and it meant only one player being able to chat, we opted to spend the time and effort on features more players would enjoy.

We've hardly rushed it out, we've attempted to support as many WiiU specifics as we can via the 5 player splitscreen both off and online, WiiU specific game modes, Mii's with a unique vehicle and more.

You make these calls with a launch title as you don't know what kind of uptake a given feature has. Besides, lack of voice chat never hurt Mario Kart Wii eh? :P

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

I would really put my money on Sega being bad/dumb/cheap before saying it's some weird Nintendo decision making/meddling or whatever.

Honestly, I would too. This is the same company that completely took out multiplayer for the PC version of the same series because (according to them) they didn't want pirates to play.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Sonic Racing's producer has been very impressive in his willingness to answer questions and address concerns, he seems like a really good guy.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

I had a feeling it was something like that. It's not like I could say with a fact that I could buy a working headset that I could rely on on launch.

Though I'm gonna call it, Monster Hunter Tri Ultimate will not have voice chat because the Japanese are largely shy (that really is the excuse!).

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Chronojam posted:

You know, for Battlefield 3, DICE cut voice chat for the PC version. Also, not even text chat for co-op either, they left that out.

Sometimes companies do stupid poo poo for no reason.

No they wanted you to use the Battlelog voice chat.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Kinda hard to ask your co-op buddy to get on BattleLog chat when you have no way to do it, except out of game.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Edoraz posted:

I had a feeling it was something like that. It's not like I could say with a fact that I could buy a working headset that I could rely on on launch.

Though I'm gonna call it, Monster Hunter Tri Ultimate will not have voice chat because the Japanese are largely shy (that really is the excuse!).

Well with MH Tri Voice Chat only worked if both ends had the WiiSpeak mic that no one owned. So even if you had the mic, you'd only be heard by the people in your party that had it too. It's amazingly dumb.

But that won't stop me from going balls deep into this console just for that loving game.

Chronojam posted:

Kinda hard to ask your co-op buddy to get on BattleLog chat when you have no way to do it, except out of game.

Not really hard to do when you're playing on PC.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Edoraz posted:

I play MH3 online without voice chat, and I can't help but wonder what the conversations in that game would be like :allears:
"Hit the tail you idiot! I need another Rathalos tail goddammit!"
"What do you mean you didn't bring spare Paralyze Shot for our Gunner? gently caress you!"

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Calaveron posted:

I play MH3 online without voice chat, and I can't help but wonder what the conversations in that game would be like :allears:
"Hit the tail you idiot! I need another Rathalos tail goddammit!"
"What do you mean you didn't bring spare Paralyze Shot for our Gunner? gently caress you!"

It made life a lot easier for everyone, and there were a whole lot of "Sorry Guys... :smith:" from my end.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Liku posted:

Not really hard to do when you're playing on PC.

Yeah I guess you can play a round with him, alt tab, add him as a friend, send him a message, form a party, and then start ESN Sonar.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.
Here's some good news about Nintendo Network straight from EA's Privacy Policy.

quote:

If you sign up to play EA games through a Nintendo Wii U console, your Nintendo account information will be provided to EA so that we can establish an Origin Account for you. You need an Origin Account to play EA’s titles online. By signing up to play EA’s titles, you agree that limited user account information can be transferred to EA. Information transferred to EA includes your Mii information, email address, Nintendo Network ID, friend list, country, language and date of birth but does not include credit card number or other financial account information.

Now we know that NN will:

*Be tied to an email address
*Have "ID" (presumably your gamertag)
*A centralized friend list
*Be compatible with third party online systems

And I'm not worried about the headphone thing yet. There is an official Wii U headset, it's just licensed to a third party. Most of the big online titles are confirmed to support it. If I'm not playing with the GamePad, I don't mind setting it on the couch next to me to have voice chat while I'm playing with a Pro Controller. I have a feeling that some features of Miiverse won't be online until after launch window, and I assume they'll add support for the GamePad mic eventually (it's already used for video chat). If they never add support for blutooth headsets, then they're being lazy, but whatever. I'm sure I'll make do.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I think the Pro Controller's going to be more of a second/third/fourth-player thing really, given the Game Pad has all the same buttons and triggers. Except for direct ports, perhaps.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
If Nintendo wants to make it's online service take off they only need to do one thing.

Make a console Mainline Pokemon game. That's it that will be all they will need. Make it 3D able to transfer your poo poo from Black2/White2. It will do for Nintendo what Halo did for OG Xbox Live.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Vaerai Archon posted:

If Nintendo wants to make it's online service take off they only need to do one thing.

Make a console Mainline Pokemon game. That's it that will be all they will need. Make it 3D able to transfer your poo poo from Black2/White2. It will do for Nintendo what Halo did for OG Xbox Live.

GameFreak is probably never going to make a legit 3D core Pokemon game and it breaks my heart.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Doesn't have to be fully 3D per se, they could make a game that plays identically to the current Pokemon games and put it on the consoles. Maybe spruce it up with some really nice hand drawn art. Make it look like Rayman.

I bet if Nintendo owned Gamefreak this would have happened already.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I haven't played a Pokemon game since Gold/Silver, but I would play the hell out of a proper 3D Pokemon RPG. Use cel-shading! Hell, use 2D sprites on a 3D world like the Breath of Fire games (I know there are others, I just can't recall them).

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I just want a Wii U Pokemon Snap.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I think I'm almost done stockpiling Wii games for my Wii-U.Maybe just Smash Bros if I can find it cheap enough and the two kirby games and Pikmin II.

Everything thus far seems to point to a post launch game drought. Monster Hunter isn't coming for months after launch.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Holy crap, someone else who actually owns Fragile Dreams! Also, your Wii collection is missing deBlob. This should be rectified as soon as possible, otherwise you will be deemed to hate fun.

Is Trauma Team any good? Atlus won't release it in PAL regions because they hate money :negative:.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Vaerai Archon posted:

Everything thus far seems to point to a post launch game drought. Monster Hunter isn't coming for months after launch.

Yeah, I really don't know what I'm going to do after Monster Hunter either. I'm hoping that Nintendo Land, Mario, and ZombiU can pick up the slack until then, but now I'm just peering through the Wii library trying to fill it up. Luckily I already got Xenoblade, so I can at least devote untold hours to that.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Vaerai Archon posted:

Unfortunately, part of the appeal of Pokemon is being able to play it on the go, at any time, so I doubt they'll make a mainline console title.

Vaerai Archon posted:

I think I'm almost done stockpiling Wii games for my Wii-U.Maybe just Smash Bros if I can find it cheap enough and the two kirby games and Pikmin II.

Where do you even find the time to play all those games? :stare:

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Is Trauma Team any good? Atlus won't release it in PAL regions because they hate money :negative:.

Trauma Team is the best out of the three because you get to be a Butt Doctor.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Dr. Fetus posted:

Where do you even find the time to play all those games? :stare:

If that blows your mind, don't visit the Retro Gaming Thread.

Hopefully I'll be able to round out my Wii collection pretty soon, with a lot of (third-party) games potentially dropping in price hard with the next system coming out, but before it turns into a Gamecube situation.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Policenaut posted:

Yeah, I really don't know what I'm going to do after Monster Hunter either. I'm hoping that Nintendo Land, Mario, and ZombiU can pick up the slack until then, but now I'm just peering through the Wii library trying to fill it up. Luckily I already got Xenoblade, so I can at least devote untold hours to that.

Take it from someone who's beaten Xenoblade - The average playtime, just story, is about eighty hours minimum.. Doing all the subquests for all the factions, plus bonus bosses and whatnot, will take double that. Easily. It is also awesome all the way through.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Mercury Crusader posted:

If that blows your mind, don't visit the Retro Gaming Thread.

Hopefully I'll be able to round out my Wii collection pretty soon, with a lot of (third-party) games potentially dropping in price hard with the next system coming out, but before it turns into a Gamecube situation.

Now's the time to buy Wii games. Stuff like Ghost Squad is going for a few dollars. Many places have BOGO Free or Buy one get one 40-75% off.

I got Mario Kart with the wheel for 25 bucks and then they had Super Paper Mario down to 20 dollars and the sale price reduced it further to 10 dollars. I found Super Mario Galaxy2 for $25 at Barnes and Nobles. Sonic Colors is going for $15 currently at TRU and you get 40% another game of equal or lesser value.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Vaerai Archon posted:

Now's the time to buy Wii games. Stuff like Ghost Squad is going for a few dollars. Many places have BOGO Free or Buy one get one 40-75% off.

I got Mario Kart with the wheel for 25 bucks and then they had Super Paper Mario down to 20 dollars and the sale price reduced it further to 10 dollars. I found Super Mario Galaxy2 for $25 at Barnes and Nobles. Sonic Colors is going for $15 currently at TRU and you get 40% another game of equal or lesser value.

Red Steel 2 is dirt-cheap as well, and a good bit of harmless fun with a motion-plus Wiimote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CousinKevin
Oct 16, 2012

Ever since they worked on that project together, her life turned around and became more exciting.

Vaerai Archon posted:

See you have Zack and Wiki, how is that? Big fan of adventure games, but is one of those games I never got around to picking up or playing, see it for about $20 on eBay, worth it for that?

• Locked thread