Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
MGs are the new PGs. RGs are the new MGs. Bandai is downsizing their huge epic toys (SoC and PGs) for new, smaller, leaner product (SRC and RGs)

So yeah, we'll get one but it'll take a while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Can anyone tell me what the quality's like on the HG Seravee Gundam? I kinda picked up the hobby with an HG (later followed by an RG because of how... meh it was) Freedom Gundam.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Can anyone tell me what the quality's like on the HG Seravee Gundam? I kinda picked up the hobby with an HG (later followed by an RG because of how... meh it was) Freedom Gundam.

You can't really go wrong with HG 00 models, but here's a video review of Seravee if you want(skip to 16 seconds to skip past the stupid intro): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fb8LC7r2qhE

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I own the Seravee GNHW/B and it's a great kit.
Not a lot of need for detailing, very articulate even with all that bulk and shitloads of options to equip and pose it.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
My new toy:

I was long overdue for a Dino Megazord. At least I now I own the best version of it.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Where did you get that, and how much damage was it? My friend's Bday is coming up, and he would probably die if I gave him that.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Nasgate posted:

Where did you get that, and how much damage was it? My friend's Bday is coming up, and he would probably die if I gave him that.

Ebay, and 58 dollars shipped. The cheapest you could probably get it now is from this site: http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN976274 Otherwise, I see it on ebay now for 66 dollars shipped.

Your friend will love you. :)

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
With some more browsing I also see a Magiking and Deka Ranger Robo(with Super Robot Handcuffs!!!)

:aaaaa:

Clearly, Bandai wants all of hismy money. I can't wait until I go back to school and get a better paying job, I will have a room of these things.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Nasgate posted:

With some more browsing I also see a Magiking and Deka Ranger Robo(with Super Robot Handcuffs!!!)

Deka Wappa :allears:

They are glorious and you should get them (Along with GaoGaiGar and Big Volfogg)

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Big 'ol sale at HLJ for gundam stuff. I just grabbed a PG freedom. Does anyone know if it shares parts with the strike rouge? Since they are both strike variants.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Fauxtool posted:

Big 'ol sale at HLJ for gundam stuff. I just grabbed a PG freedom. Does anyone know if it shares parts with the strike rouge? Since they are both strike variants.

Some good stuff there, but I can't justify spending any more money on Gunpla this year. I've still got Nu Gundam ver. ka coming up, and Tallgeese right afterwards.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Fauxtool posted:

Unlikely. The Freedom's not a variant of the Strike, it's a Gundam all of its own design.

Oh, and thanks for the replies :tipshat:.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i meant the strike freedom, there is no pg freedom

I remember building all the old seed kits and doing the same arms and legs over and over

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
While I remember, can anyone recommend an online store that won't cripple my wallet with shipping costs to Australia? Or is HLJ just the go-to store? (Couldn't find the shipping rates on the site)

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

While I remember, can anyone recommend an online store that won't cripple my wallet with shipping costs to Australia? Or is HLJ just the go-to store? (Couldn't find the shipping rates on the site)

If I remember right, load up the cart and it will calculate shipping when you put in your address.

Morgenthau
Aug 28, 2007
Circumstances have gone beyond my control.
Nice, they got some of those old rear end vintage kits on for sale. I'll be definitely getting a few.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

How about from Malaysia? I have a buddy that owns a Gundam shop here, and he occasionally ships overseas. I could give you his contacts if it's ok for you.

Morgenthau fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Oct 23, 2012

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Midjack posted:

If I remember right, load up the cart and it will calculate shipping when you put in your address.

Thanks for this. Shipping is 980 Yen apparently, so that's actually not too painful. All-in-all it'd only set me $30.

Morgenthau posted:

Nice, they got some of those old rear end vintage kits on for sale. I'll be definitely getting a few.

How about from Malaysia? I have a buddy that owns a Gundam shop here, and he occasionally ships overseas. I could give you his contacts if it's ok for you.

I appreciate this, but I don't intend to dip too deeply into Gunpla as a hobby. I simply don't have the room to store another addictive hobby after videogames. I want to, but I have to be... responsible :negative:.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I want to, but I have to be... responsible :negative:.

You say this, but we will see. The only thing stopping me at this point is the need to eat.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Thanks for this. Shipping is 980 Yen apparently, so that's actually not too painful. All-in-all it'd only set me $30.

I appreciate this, but I don't intend to dip too deeply into Gunpla as a hobby. I simply don't have the room to store another addictive hobby after videogames. I want to, but I have to be... responsible :negative:.

Good attitude. Don't tread my path.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nasgate posted:

You say this, but we will see. The only thing stopping me at this point is the need to eat.

Well there is space atop the small shelf I keep my PS2 games on for a couple of RG's or even a MG... No. NO! I'm only getting an HG Seravee and that's it.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I think the trick to not spending a ton of money on models/figures is to have as few favorite suits/shows. I won't be satisfied with my few old models and my SoC Getter Robo, I need Mazinger/Energer Z, the best grade Gouf, Big O, and maybe Shin Getter.
By the time I get all my favourites, I will become addicted, and want things I normally wouldn't, like Gurren Lagann.

At least it won't all be bad, I have already decided that if I have a kid and they treat their toys as okay as I did, they can play with my "grown up toys"

Speaking of figurines though, Tekkaman Blade comes out next month, and it's fairly well priced.

Edit: Oh god, I just realized that the Chogokin Tekkaman(With Pegas!!) is on sale now http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN959034
My wallet...:negative:

Nasgate fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Oct 23, 2012

wfwon
Apr 19, 2012

Nasgate posted:

I think the trick to not spending a ton of money on models/figures is to have as few favorite suits/shows. I won't be satisfied with my few old models and my SoC Getter Robo, I need Mazinger/Energer Z, the best grade Gouf, Big O, and maybe Shin Getter.
By the time I get all my favourites, I will become addicted, and want things I normally wouldn't, like Gurren Lagann.

At least it won't all be bad, I have already decided that if I have a kid and they treat their toys as okay as I did, they can play with my "grown up toys"

Speaking of figurines though, Tekkaman Blade comes out next month, and it's fairly well priced.

Edit: Oh god, I just realized that the Chogokin Tekkaman(With Pegas!!) is on sale now http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN959034
My wallet...:negative:

Oh man, this shows brought back my childhood memories.....

*ordered*

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nasgate posted:

I think the trick to not spending a ton of money on models/figures is to have as few favorite suits/shows.

This is pretty much why the only one I want to get is the HG Seravee (A pity there isn't an RG, or I'd go after that). Liked both it and the Freedom's designs, and it seemed a way to keep me from going overboard. Otherwise I'd start looking for a not-too-expensive Space Battleship Yamato to sit on my desk :shepicide:.

I wanted to contribute a little as thanks for all the help I've been given, so here's some pictures of my HG and RG Freedom's

This is basic shot of the HG

:eng101:Note that stickers are used for most of the fine detail jobs, and that both the rifle and hip-mounted gauss rifles are a bland gunmetal grey. This is a Sad Thing.

The wings... are pretty disappointing - All four are fixed pieces of blue plastic. The hip guns fold out though. The rifle's just hanging loose in the 'hold things' hand, it's not anchored with a tab or anything.

What's that? You want Full Burst Mode? Well gently caress you AND the Zoid you rode in on - these bastards swivel on the wing's axis and don't tilt.

By comparison, this is the RG Version, which I bought while looking for a Seravee because I'd heard the RG's are much, much nicer and was not wrong.

Already you can tell this thing is better - All the small detail bits are actual pieces instead of stickers, and the rifle's actually the right colour. (The little shoulder thrusters move as well, rather than being fixed in place)

The wings are gorgeous, if a little fiddly. The lowest two are a little loose, but it's just a simple matter of pinching the join holding them with friction into place.

This looks much better. I like the little detail of the handles on the hip-guns - they fold out for the hands to hold (They're also not Generic Grey). I also love the tiny movable fingers on this thing. It came with a whole load of detail stickers, and I might do them at some point for the hell of it, but not any time soon.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Oct 23, 2012

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Fauxtool posted:

I haven't built a model since high school, and I was terrible at it then, but for some reason I just ordered two sets of Balls.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I wanted to contribute a little as thanks for all the help I've been given, so here's some pictures of my HG and RG Freedom's

This is basic shot of the HG

Jesus Christ I never knew the original hg of the freedom was so bad. Those proportions! :stare:

I have the rg freedom and it's going to be my first RG. I'm looking forward to it and despite the flaws of Seed, the freedom remains a drat good design.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

boom boom boom posted:

I haven't built a model since high school, and I was terrible at it then, but for some reason I just ordered two sets of Balls.

The reason is that Balls are awesome.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

boom boom boom posted:

You have made the right choice.

I just wish I could remember to check hlj when it has the HGUC Loto twinpack in stock so I can set them up with one in MS mode busting a sicknasty grind with the other in tank mode as the skateboard. This is all I want out of gunpla.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Monaghan posted:

Jesus Christ I never knew the original hg of the freedom was so bad. Those proportions! :stare:

I have the rg freedom and it's going to be my first RG. I'm looking forward to it and despite the flaws of Seed, the freedom remains a drat good design.

Get yourself one of the HG Action Stands for it - the RG Freedom comes with a tab to fit it atop one and it's pretty much the only way it won't constantly fall over backwards due to the wings.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

I think I just heard half the thread's wallets explode (Robot Damashii).

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Mecha Gojira posted:

I think I just heard half the thread's wallets explode (HGAC).

If THAT was your post then i'd agree with you.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Mecha Gojira posted:

HRRRRNnnggghHH

They are going to destroy us with bullshit accessory kits you have to buy seperately, I JUST KNOW IT

... pre-ordering so hard though :cripes:

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Mecha Gojira posted:

gently caress that looks awesome.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Mecha Gojira posted:

Is that Epyon's wing in the lower right?

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Yup, he's getting a robot damashii toy :)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Oh god, there's a Revoltech Tachikoma coming in December :swoon: (The season 1 version, if anyone's curious. It's on HLJ as a preorder). Someone talk me out of it.

edit: Oh and they have the Tamashii Epyon Gundam there too. It appears that it transforms, so I'm guessing I'm not the only one debating with their wallet right now.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Oct 28, 2012

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh god, there's a Revoltech Tachikoma coming in December :swoon: (The season 1 version, if anyone's curious. It's on HLJ as a preorder). Someone talk me out of it.

It has magnetic feet so it can stick to stuff :)

Oh you said talk you OUT of it, oops sorry dude

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
I've already pre-ordered one. I'm just waiting to see if they release another with the minigun weapon mount (instead of the grenade launcher it comes with, both 'safety capped' and live/armed) before I consider buying at least one if not two more.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
this seems relevant

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
What makes it worse is I already have a little blue tachikoma blu-tacked to one of the upper corners of my monitor. I got it out of one of those little grab-bag boxes for $5 a good few years ago and I wish I'd grabbed more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Gamera Banere is doing his model competition again:

http://thosegundamguys.org/southern-california-gundam-model-competition/

It was pretty decent last year and I'll be there again; give it a go if you're in LA that weekend.

• Locked thread