Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

An observer posted:

Your best bet is probably Canada. Anywhere else worth moving to has insane levels of restrictions on immigration. You can tell I've spent a good amount of time researching this :eng99:

I dunno what you were looking at but Canada is pretty tough for most people. Australia's much more open; do a two-year masters' in something on the Skilled Occupations Shortage list, collect a two-year bridging visa to find work, get a job in your field, permanent residence will soon follow. I looked into Canada because although there's the weather (I'm from Florida) it's a lot closer to home, but I'd need either a PhD or a wife to make that happen in my field (education).

Been my plan for several years now (spent a year studying in Perth when I was in college), currently working in Japan and socking away money for the move.

I just started driving a car here and have had lots of near-misses, it's like I'm invisible to Japanese drivers (driving a hulking silver Mark II around). Can't wait to get my motorcycle in a few weeks...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
Man, I don't know, I really wouldn't say a masters' is something you can easily get. Especially considering you'd go into some mondo debt for it. :v: It was 50k for one year for my bf. It seems most of the things on the shortage list are engineers, and let me tell you, that's really really loving hard. It's not for everybody. But anyway, that's a whole bunch of D&D that doesn't belong here.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Clevermuldoon posted:

Was riding in the rain the other day. Tried to pull into a parking lot but turned way too suddenly. The bike started wobbling and I did the rational thing and panic grabbed the front brake and the bike tipped over.

Considering I was only going about 5 mph I'd hesitate to call it a crash, and the only problem with the bike is that the front wheel is out of alignment. Took it to the shop yesterday so I'll be hearing back on Monday if there's any other problems. I'm pissed now because it's a beautiful day outside and I'm missing out because I was riding like an idiot.

With little wobbles the gas is your friend. Not a lot, mind, but a bit of throttle will usually help you out.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

nsaP posted:

With little wobbles the gas is your friend. Not a lot, mind, but a bit of throttle will usually help you out.

Thanks, I'll try to keep that in mind next time.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Put a bit of pressure on the clutch and slip slip slip. Keeps things smooth.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

nsaP posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvHtChodNk0

:suicide:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Going into the dirt sorts it out too when the tires no longer have enough traction to highside you!

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I still don't understand that video. Or how everything wasn't upside down at the end.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Ziploc posted:

how everything wasn't upside down at the end.

Luck, I suspect.

I would have been thinking "I should get to the soft stuff before it bucks me" and then would have been surprised at not coming off.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Psh, that's how I premix the gas in my scooter.

cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

Psh, that's how I premix the gas in my scooter.

That's called postmix

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

That's after I dump it.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

clutchpuck posted:

Luck, I suspect.

I would have been thinking "I should get to the soft stuff before it bucks me" and then would have been surprised at not coming off.

Clearly he watched "Wobble and Weave with Murray Walker":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvsDIq3WwVA

I loving love Murray and his communication style.

fingerling
Mar 7, 2010
Was just looking through some of the salvaged parts (small trinkets, effectively), and I found the tacho, which kind of proves I wasn't actually doing anything stupid:

In fourth, that would be like 63km/h. I think my left knee collected it on the way over, de-gloving it in the process.

Not being on a bike has been killing me lately, I had an evil friend that offered me to borrow his Busa and go to Phillip Island with him and some friends for the MotoGP at Phillip Island. Unfortunately (and luckily, he hit a bird at 160 en route and one of the other guys wrecked his GSXR on the Great Ocean Road) I declined, I'm not in any shape to do a long trip.. :(

xd
Sep 28, 2001

glorifying my tragic destiny..

MotoMind posted:

Clearly he watched "Wobble and Weave with Murray Walker":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvsDIq3WwVA

I loving love Murray and his communication style.

Is that even a thing any more on motorcycles? I love how the solution is to tuck in.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
The Uly likes to do it especially when I have luggage on. If I lean forward and put more weight on the front wheeel, it stops. I've mostly tuned it out by upping rear preload by a couple clicks over what the manual recommends.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Keep in mind that the bikes of the period generally had much less stiff frames than modern bikes. It's not nearly as much of an issue these days, wobble in particular, unless your bike has a very twitchy setup.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

Keep in mind that the bikes of the period generally had much less stiff frames than modern bikes. It's not nearly as much of an issue these days, wobble in particular, unless your bike has a very twitchy setup.

With goons, wobble is always an issue. :btroll:

Fatz
Jul 1, 2011
I was in my 'big' accident back in april of 2010. Maybe a little old to be posting about but toward the end of the post it'll make a little more sense.

I was out on a sunday afternoon and for whatever reason I decided to put on actual safety gear. Around here (Chicago USA) it's typical to ride around in jeans and a tshirt with no helmet but that day I decided to put on a helmet, leather jacket, pants and gloves and boots.

About a 2 miles from my house a child--a 10 year old child on an ATV drove out from a cornfield into traffic and broad sided me. He hit the left side of my bike where my foot was, tearing the control loose and wrapping it around my ankle effectively attaching me to the bike via the shifter rod from the peg to the transmission. My bike went down on the left side pinning my leg under the bike.

Injuries: I ended up with a left foot that was broken in six places and quite a bit of road rash, bumps and bruises.

Equipment: The doctors all commented that my protective gear all worked--especially the boots. I was wearing "engineer" style biker boots with the small chrome ring on the side. That little ring kept my ankle from being grated away on the pavement. The jacket and pants were loose fitting Harley leather stuff that may have worked, but the jacket slid up under my arms and my belly was rashed up pretty bad. Lesson learned: Loose fitting safety gear probably sucks. The armored parts of the pants and jacket hit the roadway then immediately rotated away so they couldn't do their job.

Bike: Approx 9000 in damage and they repaired it against my wishes. It turns out the dealer I had it repaired at was desperate for money and was pushing to repair the bike. Had the insurance company totalled the bike the shop wouldn't have gotten any money for doing the repair work. A month after the bike repair was finished the shop closed their doors for good.

Lesson Learned: No one plans on getting in an accident and it happened to me when I least expected it.

The Coincidence That Still Bug Me To This Day: I hardly ever wore protective gear and it was luck I had a helmet on that day (I always wear one now--lesson learned). They did 5 CT scans trying to figure out if they could pull my helmet off. Those CT scans uncovered some suspicious spots that ended up being the very early stages of cancer. I never hit my head in the accident because of the way I 'slid' down so I don't think those CT scans would have been done had I not been wearing a helmet that day. I'm cancer free now, or at least all the scans and chemical markers are coming back negative after the surgery.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

How'd the kid turn out? Also that's the ultimate in mixed blessings.

Fatz
Jul 1, 2011

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

How'd the kid turn out? Also that's the ultimate in mixed blessings.

Not a scratch. He didn't even leave the seat of the ATV.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Glad to hear you're cancer free and everyone ended up ok.

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008
Well, guess I'm a real biker now. I just had my very first off going round a roundabout.

Map with comedy points of interest.

I was coming down from the single carriageway bit of the A65 and turning right onto the A660. Leant over into the corner and the back end felt a bit squirrely (around point A) but nothing I'd not felt before and then the bike just slid out from underneath me coming to a rest about point B.

Damage to the bike is a scraped exhaust, snapped off rear brake pedal, scraped up plastic radiator cover fairing thing*, completely destroyed bar end and finally the larger upper radiator has sheared two of the three pieces of metal holding it onto the frame.

I'm completely fine, all my gear is undamaged, even the bloody sandwich I had in my Kriega is fine.

I'm still not entirely sure how it happened, I'd only been riding about five minutes and wasn't exactly attacking the corner (probably about 15 / 20 mph), the road was pretty wet as it'd just rained recently and it does get a lot of trucks across it. I'm thinking a combination of cold tires, the wet or maybe some spilt fuel that the rain had lifted that I missed?

I rode the bike about 10 miles home afterwards, it seems to be okay apart from the obvious damage mentioned above.

*Seriously what the gently caress are these things called? I've been googling them for about an hour and not found them!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

ReformedNiceGuy posted:

the road was pretty wet as it'd just rained recently and it does get a lot of trucks across it. I'm thinking a combination of cold tires, the wet or maybe some spilt fuel that the rain had lifted that I missed?

Almost certainly spilled diesel fuel lifted by the rain. Roads are slipperiest when its been raining for about 30 minutes.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Now I want a bloody sandwich. :(

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

Now I want a bloody sandwich. :(

But he didn't get any blood on his sandwich.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Bummer, but at least it was a slow one. My biggest crash was pretty similar I think.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

ReformedNiceGuy posted:

Well, guess I'm a real biker now. I just had my very first off going round a roundabout.

I'm still not entirely sure how it happened, I'd only been riding about five minutes and wasn't exactly attacking the corner (probably about 15 / 20 mph), the road was pretty wet as it'd just rained recently and it does get a lot of trucks across it. I'm thinking a combination of cold tires, the wet or maybe some spilt fuel that the rain had lifted that I missed?

Diesel. You don't usually smell it unless it's a slick of the size produced by a leaky tractor and there's no other traffic around. High pressure fuel systems in diesel cars plus the old school, brimmed-tank-on-an-HGV means more and more spills these days.

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008
Cheers for the replies, is there anything I could have done when I felt the rear start to break loose? Would grabbing some front brake have stood the bike back up or just turned the lowside into a high?

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Saga posted:

Diesel...
...brimmed-tank-on-an-HGV...

Bet it's this, especially on the roundabout. Our local sewage lorries always fill the tanks completely before they set out in the morning. Such that when they go round corners too fast* diesel pours out of the tank breather onto the road.

Two days ago I nearly lost it on a junction near home, some kind of commercial vehicle had obviously sprung a fairly hefty oil leak and sprayed a mist of oil over 2+ miles of the coast road. Bad enough that I reported it to the rozzers.

*Which they do constantly, because they get to gently caress off home when they've done their quota (and still get paid the same) :doh:

ReformedNiceGuy posted:

Cheers for the replies, is there anything I could have done when I felt the rear start to break loose? Would grabbing some front brake have stood the bike back up or just turned the lowside into a high?

Grabbing any brake is almost always the worst idea, so is closing the throttle at all it suddenly shifts weight forward, which may end up low-siding you. The answer to almost any brown-trousers moment on a motorcycle is keep calm, keep the throttle steady (or maybe even increase it) and pray.

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Nov 22, 2012

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
e: ReelBigLizard said it more eloquently.

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008

ReelBigLizard posted:

... keep the throttle steady (or maybe even increase it) and pray.

Cheers ReelBigLizard, this is exactly what I did. I've had the back end break loose on me before and the above has always cured it. Guess I was just unlucky / didn't react quick enough / prayed to the wrong diety this time.

I'll definitely be treating wet roads with a bit more respect in the future though!

In other news I'd forgotten how crap driving the car in rush hour is. :doh:

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

When in doubt, throttle out!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Old chap.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

We need a "keep calm and throttle on".

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Z3n posted:

We need a "keep calm and throttle on".

It's been done already:

(Although I'm not quite sure about the last two)

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Those are all excellent. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES
Apologies for the very long post.

Same thing caused my first mildly scary crash, mixed with wet leaves and full beams. I was approaching a roundabout, didn't know that because there was poor visibility and the person who'd taken the roundabout (at a slight bend in the road) had gone straight over it at high speed with full beams. Turns out the fellow behind me in his car was a biker, and said something along the lines of "Obviously a novice (will get to this later), full beams in your face, at that roundabout, I knew you were gonna go off". Biker paramedic that came (I felt woozy and had a sore neck, both mostly repaired with a cigarette but the fellow still insisted I ring NHS 24 who insisted on sending him) also said it was notorious, apparently First and whatever other local bus company is there use all their old crap buses on that route, not to mention it's near a big container place. You'd think if they have a rough idea who the culprits are the polis would be able to do something.

I was applying some back brake at the time because I got completely disorientated by the fella with (aftermarket, I think from a World War 2 flak gun) full beams blasting through the mini-roundabout, and it locked up on the diesel and leaves, what should I have done? Let off the brake completely and applied mild power with some clutch control into the turn? Got advised by the biker behind me that I should have tried to stay in tyre trails, as opposed to the centre in conditions like that, have applied that lesson and have found I've had more grip in poo poo conditions, anything else I should be doing?

The thing I was also gonna ask is in relation to that guys comment. He'd been behind me earlier, and I'd got completely spatially disorientated. I was on a dual carriageway and couldn't keep track of the cats eyes or really see what lane I was in, the red and green cats eyes seemingly appeared out of nowhere, looking back I must have been weaving quite badly, and after I'd got off the carriageway, I was still having to slow down quite a bit when people came by with full beams because I'd get completely disorientated. Other than taking a break (which I would have, but the road I was on didn't have any safe places to stop until, funnily enough, after the roundabout I went off at.) is there anything else I can do to avoid it? I'm also going to buy new contacts, as having to have the visor cracked open lest my glasses fog up probably didn't help.

Wootcannon fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Nov 23, 2012

• Locked thread