Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enophos
Feb 29, 2008
TVYH-VU9H-BQ3Y-BL3R for anyone that wants it. It has Fallout, Fallout 2, and some others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

Enophos posted:

TVYH-VU9H-BQ3Y-BL3R for anyone that wants it. It has Fallout, Fallout 2, and some others.

I got everything except Fallout 1. Thanks.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Are ANY of the lowest tier games worth getting?

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
After the last sale with most of the Legacy of Kain games on sale, I've been taking an old nostalgia stroll, skipping down the lane with Raziel in the first Soul Reaver. I haven't played it since it was new on PC.

Wait for it...

:bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:

I'm almost done with the wind cathedral (only the second major area), but I'm thinking about stopping here. The camera was decent when it came out, but it is by all means completely atrocious and Raziel's foot work near ledges is equally as bad. And the combat is sloppy too.

However all the block puzz--:bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:

The story is better than I recall, but getting to those divinely scripted moments is a lot more frustrating now that current third-person cameras aren't always getting in the way of you playing the game.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I didn't even notice those games were on GOG yet. Why isn't Blood Omen on there as well? I can't play the whole series if I can't start from the beginning again.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

PureRok posted:

I didn't even notice those games were on GOG yet. Why isn't Blood Omen on there as well? I can't play the whole series if I can't start from the beginning again.

They said it was a last minute rights issue. They had both Blood Omen 1 and 2 ready and just decided to stop sitting on 2 while they work on getting 1 out.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

PureRok posted:

I bought all the games in the Pay What You Want deal and now I have a gift code for Fallout 1 & Castles + Castles 2 (together in one code, it seems).

What are the rules on trading gifts? I'd be willing to trade this for a game on my gog wishlist if it's alright.

I'll just quote this for this page. As it says in the quote, I'll trade that for one (or more if you're feeling generous) of these games. Bolded games are "preferred":
  • Fantasy Wars
  • Heroes of Might and Magic® 3: Complete Edition
  • Knights and Merchants: The Peasants Rebellion
  • Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen 2
  • Legacy of Kain: Defiance
  • Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
  • Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 2
  • Moto Racer
  • Moto Racer 2
  • Moto Racer 3
  • Nations Gold Edition, The
  • Patrician 3
  • Settlers® 2: Gold Edition, The

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Zedicus Mann posted:

I got everything except Fallout 1. Thanks.

And I got Fallout 1. Thank you very much Enophos.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Shame that the Interplay games don't run on Mac :( Anyway, I snagged Theme Hospital, SC2K and Crusader. Can't wait for more!

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

surrender posted:

Shame that the Interplay games don't run on Mac :( Anyway, I snagged Theme Hospital, SC2K and Crusader. Can't wait for more!
The fedora dude said in chat that GOG just signed the rights yesterday to sell Interplay games on Mac. So I imagine it won't be too long until they're made compatible.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

elf help book posted:

Are ANY of the lowest tier games worth getting?
Not really. Several aren't bad, like Evolva, but are ultimately not novel enough to mean much today. Shattered Steel, I dunno.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

It sure looks like I just bought 32 vidya games. :catstare:

Here's a gift code for Freespace 2 and Fallout: [redeemed]. Please post if you redeemed it and I'll remove the code.

Have fun, you two! :)

Smirr fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Oct 19, 2012

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Smirr posted:

Here's a gift code for Freespace 2 and Fallout

I've taken Freespace 2, thanks! I already have Fallout, so someone else can get that.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Smirr posted:

It sure looks like I just bought 32 vidya games. :catstare:

Here's a gift code for Freespace 2 and Fallout: 7AE6-XRU6-MW47-4Q9C. Please post if you redeemed it and I'll remove the code.

Grabbed (the best) Fallout, thanks!

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
I just noticed the Deponia deal and was curious if anyone has played it.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LbK3s7Xooo

haha This is one of the games in the bottom tier of the Interplay deal.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Kingdom is a butchered port of the arcade game Thayer's Quest by the Dragon's Lair guys. Unlike Dragon's Lair it's a Choose Your Adventure type game instead of a crazy reflexes game. If you're really interested (and it's a neat little project that never had the popularity of Dragon's Lair) the DVD usually comes packed with Dragon's Lair 1, 2, and Space Case.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
With all this Interplay stuff running around, I'm wondering why Cyberia hasn't showed up yet. I was thinking of doing an LP of the game, but I don't want to put in the time to do it. It was a weird mix of exploration, puzzles, and rail shooting with a cinematic feel. You could also die tons of ways. I must have finished it ten times as a kid, but have never met anyone else who has played it.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Smirr posted:

Here's a gift code for Freespace 2 and Fallout: [redeemed]. Please post if you redeemed it and I'll remove the code.

Freespace 2 is one of the best space sims ever produced, quite moddable, and y'all should buy it because it's awesome. Just saying.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

al-azad posted:

Kingdom is a butchered port of the arcade game Thayer's Quest by the Dragon's Lair guys. Unlike Dragon's Lair it's a Choose Your Adventure type game instead of a crazy reflexes game. If you're really interested (and it's a neat little project that never had the popularity of Dragon's Lair) the DVD usually comes packed with Dragon's Lair 1, 2, and Space Case.

If I'm really interested, this costs whatever I want starting at 1 cent.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

elf help book posted:

If I'm really interested, this costs whatever I want starting at 1 cent.

Just don't let Kingdom sour your opinion of the real game. It would be like judging Dragon's Lair based on the NES platformer.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

al-azad posted:

There was a sequel, Kingdom II: Shadoan, that will probably never be released on GOG.com.

XenoCrab
Mar 30, 2012

XenoCrab is the least important character in the Alien movie franchise. He's not even in the top ten characters.

synertia posted:

With all this Interplay stuff running around, I'm wondering why Cyberia hasn't showed up yet. I was thinking of doing an LP of the game, but I don't want to put in the time to do it. It was a weird mix of exploration, puzzles, and rail shooting with a cinematic feel. You could also die tons of ways. I must have finished it ten times as a kid, but have never met anyone else who has played it.

I played it! I really liked it when I was a kid and would love to play it again but I lost my CD ages ago :smith:. I've also wondered why it's never showed up on GOG.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

synertia posted:

I played Cyberia: Mission Norway as a kid, the extended demo that ends towards the end of the first set of rail-shooter sequences. I loved it, especially the bomb defusing puzzle.

More recently, I tracked down a complete version and made the tragic discovery that the demo ends just before the game becomes complete, unsalvageable poo poo. :smith:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

synertia posted:

Sup Cyberia buddy! I played the hell out of this game as a kid, even if the farther I got was just inside the ice base since it always took me forever to beat the rail-shooter segments. Figuring out the logic gate puzzle for the bomb and the keypad combination by using infrared mode made me feel like a friggin' genius.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

al-azad posted:

Thayer's Quest

Thayer's Quest was an amazing breakthrough for arcade games. CYOA and a full keyboard.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

ToxicFrog posted:

I played Cyberia: Mission Norway as a kid, the extended demo that ends towards the end of the first set of rail-shooter sequences. I loved it, especially the bomb defusing puzzle.

More recently, I tracked down a complete version and made the tragic discovery that the demo ends just before the game becomes complete, unsalvageable poo poo. :smith:

The game wasn't THAT bad.
Now the sequel on the other hand...

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

RadicalR posted:

The game wasn't THAT bad.
Now the sequel on the other hand...

I had that bad boy, too. I was so excited when I got it, but it was crazy bad. Shooting white blood cells in the blood stream is quite a rail shooting level.

I still have my Cyberia CDs, but I haven't tried to run them on Dosbox before.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Today's releases are Medal of Honor Allied Assault Warchest for :10bux: and Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams for $13.49 - $1.50 off the normal price.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
@GOGcom tweeted at me saying Hotline Miami would be released like 2 hours ago, but they deleted the tweet almost straight away (I still have the email with it in it) and the game's still not out. Anyone know when it's releasing?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Mug posted:

@GOGcom tweeted at me saying Hotline Miami would be released like 2 hours ago, but they deleted the tweet almost straight away (I still have the email with it in it) and the game's still not out. Anyone know when it's releasing?

Steam says ~5 hours left. Also, I just finished my review, after playing it all yesterday evening and well into the night.

Edit: Looks like there was a press embargo that they forgot to tell me about, so that review gets to go up a few hours early anyway. Oops, I guess?

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Oct 23, 2012

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

The Kins posted:

Today's releases are Medal of Honor Allied Assault Warchest for :10bux: and Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams for $13.49 - $1.50 off the normal price.

Off all the franchises to resurrect, why in the hell would it be the Giana Sisters, the game that is most infamous for being a Super Mario Brothers ripoff. Like, Nintendo got the game pulled, that's how big of a ripoff it was.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

No idea about the original Amiga game, but the modern take doesn't play at all like Mario, and Nintendo allowed a port of the classic Giana Sisters on the DS. Unless every platformer is Mario now I don't think you watched the trailer.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Saoshyant posted:

No idea about the original Amiga game, but the modern take doesn't play at all like Mario, and Nintendo allowed a port of the classic Giana Sisters on the DS. Unless every platformer is Mario now I don't think you watched the trailer.

Giana Sisters DS is actually not a port, it's a completely new game.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Saoshyant posted:

I'm just saying that it just seems odd. I don't even need to watch the video to see how it doesn't look like a Mario game, but the original game was an unabashed ripoff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMTdr026bZU

I do have to say the music is interesting. Love that weird wash effect in the very beginning.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Cemetry Gator posted:

I do have to say the music is interesting. Love that weird wash effect in the very beginning.

Nah, even that is a rip-off.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Cemetry Gator posted:

I'm just saying that it just seems odd. I don't even need to watch the video to see how it doesn't look like a Mario game, but the original game was an unabashed ripoff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMTdr026bZU

It was incredibly popular to mod this game to make the characters look like Mario and Luigi again, which was the most popular form on Commodore BBSs and zine disks. The irony is that a lot of Americans (including myself) thought this was a fan-made Mario clone rather than a knockoff game actually sold in stores (in Europe).

And yes, that's a great example of Commodore chiptune music. Don't mean to start a derail, but the SID chip was fantastic once people figured out how to really use it.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
So does anyone know what's down the wire for upcoming GOG mac releases?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

After The War posted:

sold in stores (in Europe).

That only lasted for a few days, because Nintendo felt it was too much like the Brothers, and successfully sued to force the publisher to withdraw the game. Of course, thanks to piracy, everyone still got the game anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

I don't know if anybody noticed in the past 3 months or so, but Dungeon Keeper 2 got a patch addressing the hardware acceleration issue.

The icon/UI rendering is still pretty jagged, but texture filtering and water translucency both work and the game itself runs faster than ever.