Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Were both drops on the same side? Do you know what side your oil pump is on? Or indeed where your oil uptake is? Because air getting into your oil pump will cause a false-positive low pressure indication (this is assuming the bike was running when it went down) on some bikes..

Both tips were to the right side, and I'm not sure where my pump or intake is (the fill cap and sight glass are on the right, though).

Time 1, it was not on when it tipped.
Time 2, it was, but was promptly turned off until I righted it.
Motorcycles are heavy :( wtf do people with 1.2L engines do in a tip? Are they stronger than me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Your pickup is probably on the left side so it picks up oil while on the side stand, which means your oil pump probably picked up a bunch of air on a right-side drop. It's probably fine if it's running normal.

Righting a bike is easier than you think. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4MPyX0QCYw

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
There's a strategy to picking up heavy bikes. Face away from the bike, with your back to the seat, crouching, one hand on the grip, the other somewhere on the tail. Then using mostly your legs, you lift and walk backwards.

Here's a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4MPyX0QCYw

Edit: Beaten hard. By the same video. :doh:

epswing fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Oct 23, 2012

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

clutchpuck posted:

There's a lock nut on each side and you're using them, right?

The big Fucker on the right side of the wheel hub that has a.cotter pin?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Not the one I am talking about. When you adjust the chain tension, there should be a bolt you turn on each side to push or pull (depending on configuration) the axle back. There should be a nut on each of these axle puller bolts that you use to lock it in place.

If you don't tighten the lock nuts, what you describe happening will happen.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

clutchpuck posted:

Not the one I am talking about. When you adjust the chain tension, there should be a bolt you turn on each side to push or pull (depending on configuration) the axle back. There should be a nut on each of these axle puller bolts that you use to lock it in place.

If you don't tighten the lock nuts, what you describe happening will happen.

I have covers on the end of my forks and there is no nut there, the bolt just turns into the covers. 85 gs550es

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Snowdens Secret posted:

Anyone have thoughts on if the A123 bankruptcy is going to affect LiFePO3 battery supply? I know Shorais come from somewhere else but I've been eyeballing a Antigravitybatteries.com unit for a bit and I'm pretty sure they use the A123 cells.

Well, they can make it through an 11 as noted, but I would not run out to buy the battery until that solidified, to make sure any warranty claims remain post-petition.

Also, those anti-grav units look sweet, but seem more expensive than Shorai. Comparing the Shorai I just installed to their offering, the closest match is their small case 8-cell with 240 CCA and 9.7 Ah - $179. My Shorai has 210 CCA and 14 Ah, and cost about $140 on Amazon.

HTH

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Flikken posted:

I have covers on the end of my forks and there is no nut there, the bolt just turns into the covers. 85 gs550es

Is there a nut further up the bolt, maybe after it passes through the axle carrier?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

clutchpuck posted:

Is there a nut further up the bolt, maybe after it passes through the axle carrier?

I'll look again when i get home, I really don't enjoy putting my chain on in parking lots.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Flikken posted:

I'll look again when i get home, I really don't enjoy putting my chain on in parking lots.

Your rear wheel fiche shows the adjuster bolts:

Looks like #26 threads into #25. Cannot tell from the exploded diagram where that e-clip (#27) goes though.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Tamir Lenk posted:

Your rear wheel fiche shows the adjuster bolts:

Looks like #26 threads into #25. Cannot tell from the exploded diagram where that e-clip (#27) goes though.

Thanks, that lateral locking bolt about 8" up on the fork is what i should be looking for then if I'm reading the diagram right?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Part #26 is the adjuster bolt.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Z3n posted:

Part #26 is the adjuster bolt.

:doh: now i get it.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Is there any way to stop my chain from getting ridiculously filthy after just a couple miles on a gravel road? I use the teflon spray lube usually now.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Xovaan posted:

Just ordered! Thanks man. :)

I have used the Tusk mitts, but I am not sure they will work well without barkbusters or something to keep them off your levers. At 65mph that fabric is going to press back, and it's going to be all over the place at lower speeds.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Tucano Urbano seem to be the most popular grip muffs I see around the parking lot at work. They're mostly found on scooters, but that includes maxi-scoots, so they'd work on a full size bike. I think I've seen them on people's winter hacks as well.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Linedance posted:

Tucano Urbano seem to be the most popular grip muffs I see around the parking lot at work. They're mostly found on scooters, but that includes maxi-scoots, so they'd work on a full size bike. I think I've seen them on people's winter hacks as well.

Whoa those are awesome, thank you for posting that. Genuinely innovative design right there.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

alnilam posted:

Motorcycles are heavy :( wtf do people with 1.2L engines do in a tip? Are they stronger than me?

This brings to mind the first thing i ever learned about motorcycles, back as a teenager:

"Never ride a bike you can't upright on your own. Otherwise it's gonna be a long walk back home."

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Get giant highway bars/guards. Picking up my r1100gs was easy.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Tamir Lenk posted:

Well, they can make it through an 11 as noted, but I would not run out to buy the battery until that solidified, to make sure any warranty claims remain post-petition.

Also, those anti-grav units look sweet, but seem more expensive than Shorai. Comparing the Shorai I just installed to their offering, the closest match is their small case 8-cell with 240 CCA and 9.7 Ah - $179. My Shorai has 210 CCA and 14 Ah, and cost about $140 on Amazon.

HTH

They don't have to make it, the 363 sale just needs to be approved, and the buyer's DIP funding plus the petition itself makes that fairly likely. You don't generally offer to buy a mfg business, cause it to file a bankruptcy petition and then refuse to honour existing warranties, it tends to piss off everyone downstream. :reject: well I mean I would, but then I post on something awful.com

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!

Z3n posted:

If that's a stock DRZ400SM, the wheels aren't tubeless.

I guess they were put on by the previous owner, they are ContiForce SM tires, which sounds pretty rad. They say tubeless on them, so hopefully they don't have tubes in them.

I'm not 100% sure what tools I need for this change... just a bunch of tire irons?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Tamir Lenk posted:

It's more that I'm wanting to put off getting one until after the holidays, it's money I can use elsewhere and it'll be too cold in winter to really ride aggressively enough to notice the weight change. I'm less concerned about warranty as I am about straight availability if I wait. It won't kill me to stay stock and they've got an ADVRider thread I'm sure they'll post on if there's issues.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Resource posted:

I guess they were put on by the previous owner, they are ContiForce SM tires, which sounds pretty rad. They say tubeless on them, so hopefully they don't have tubes in them.

I'm not 100% sure what tools I need for this change... just a bunch of tire irons?

The tires don't make it tubeless, the rim does. Spokes = air go out.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Resource posted:

Changing tires (and tubes) sucks if you've never done it before, but it can be done with just a bunch of tire irons and something to break the bead.

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!

MotoMind posted:

The tires don't make it tubeless, the rim does. Spokes = air go out.

Ooh... ok. I only feel kinda stupid now.
I have some tire removing things in the mail, so I'm going to see how that works. I'll try to put aside a lot of time for my first attempt.
Thanks for the help :)

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

MotoMind posted:

I have used the Tusk mitts, but I am not sure they will work well without barkbusters or something to keep them off your levers. At 65mph that fabric is going to press back, and it's going to be all over the place at lower speeds.

Luckily there's very little wind resistance on my handles due to my fairing-- it's just enough to make the tips of my fingers go numb. This was a concern for me but for $25 it's worth a shot. Worst case scenario I end up putting bark guards on the ends with the mitts anyway. :)

Really dumb question: Of the twelve thousand RPMs my Bandit has, what is the optimal range to cruise at? Peak torque is at 3k, but is there any risk of danger to the engine for cruising at such low RPM?

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
As long as the engine isn't lugging at that rpm (doubt it would on a Bandit12) it'll be fine. Hell, my GSXR1000 will pull cleanly from 3k and it's certainly not as grunty as a Bandit.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Xovaan posted:

Luckily there's very little wind resistance on my handles due to my fairing-- it's just enough to make the tips of my fingers go numb. This was a concern for me but for $25 it's worth a shot. Worst case scenario I end up putting bark guards on the ends with the mitts anyway. :)

Really dumb question: Of the twelve thousand RPMs my Bandit has, what is the optimal range to cruise at? Peak torque is at 3k, but is there any risk of danger to the engine for cruising at such low RPM?

As long as its running smoothly at whatever rpm, its happy. Getting waaaay down there (like idle speed) will give you oil supply issues, but 3K is fine. I found mine really smoothed out over 5K, and it seemed happiest at or above that, but it never had any issues running slower than that.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Thanks guys! What about for maximizing mileage? Is there any real difference between ~3k and ~5k or are they negligibly the same?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Mileage is more about how far open the throttle is than where the bike is revving, in general.

That said mine seems to get identical mileage no matter how I ride it so I dunno.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Xovaan posted:

Thanks guys! What about for maximizing mileage? Is there any real difference between ~3k and ~5k or are they negligibly the same?

Try cruising each speed for a tank or two each.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Xovaan posted:

Mine got better mileage the more it was spun up. I think people are tempted to run them at lower RPMs since they are so drat torquey, but dont forget, its a GSXR 1100 at heart, and is plenty capable of revving.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
My bike tells me what my MPG is and there's sweet spots all over the place. Don't forget that engine speed isn't the only factor - even if that extra 2k is more efficient the increase in road speed and therefore drag might be enough to drop the mpg - or conversely that the extra speed might be sufficient to get you an extra mile or two.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

The bike is just so ridiculous that I never really had a need to keep it above 4k, because it accelerated just as fast as my SV casually rolling on the throttle from idle. The previous owner put the GSXR1100 exhaust cam and the 1216 kit in it to increase the bottom end a hilarious amount and it really shows. Looks like I'm keeping it around 5k for now and seeing how it affects my mileage. I'm definitely okay with this. Thanks again for the input guys!

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
On a naked / bikini faired bike like the B12 your body positioning probably makes more of a diff for fuel economy than a thousand RPM here or there, so shoot for a speed where you can get in a comfortable but functional tuck and where the engine isn't uncomfortably buzzy. This is probably common sense but you can tune your position for aero by holding throttle steady and moving around and seeing whether the bike speeds up or slows down.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
I'm looking to identify the following bike:
*pics removed*

All I know is that it's a BMW.

astrollinthepork fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Oct 25, 2012

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

K1600 ?

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

HE KNOWS

Nah, much older than that. I don't have an exact year, but it's something like 1996-2002.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

An older K bike then? K100 or something? That was my first thought but Wikipedia didn't look exactly like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

HE KNOWS

Shimrod posted:

An older K bike then? K100 or something? That was my first thought but Wikipedia didn't look exactly like it.

After finding a somewhat decent resource, it looks like a 99 R1100RT.

astrollinthepork fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Oct 25, 2012