Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

zenintrude posted:

The first M stands for "massively" :ssh:

Consider a single game to be an instance and the lobby/ranking to be Orgrimmar and I just blew your mind. :ssh:

I have no idea if the CoD games even have a lobby; MMO has become a worthless title though, if a lovely 200 people Korean MMO server gets the "M", so do CoD, FIFA, Madden et al. Not to mention you can play WoW all day to "completion" without ever leaving a city or encounter more than 24 other people at a time.

Katana Gomai fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Oct 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
I have literally no games for my PS3, as I prefer PC for the "blockbuster" titles. Right now, the PS3 sits there collecting dust as a Netflix conduit. My Wii has gotten more action than my PS3 Slim has in the past year. My girlfriend and I use that to play Wii Sports Resort and Kirby's Dream Course together. Previously we had no interest in the Wii U, but recently we were at a Best Buy that had the Wii U on display.

We sat there for about a half hour playing Rayman together and agreed that the system would be a must-purchase. GameStop has an interesting trade-in bonus of (x2) for any system until the end of the month. After crunching the numbers, that's a lot more than current eBay trends, SA-Mart, and anywhere else that's accepting trade-ins on consoles. Trading my PS3 and Wii will get us within $20 of a Wii U standard edition, though I'd rather the premium one.

I wish GameStop didn't have me by the balls on this one, since I believe they're done with pre-orders. I could easily keep the PS3 and Wii, but I absolutely hate stuff collecting dust. I can't stand having three devices that can do the same thing (Netflix, basically).

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
If you have anything of significant value downloaded onto the Wii you should not trade it in yet, you will need the physical Wii to transfer those games over to the U. If Kirby's Dream course is all you have that's fine, but if you're like me and have some ridiculous number of Wiiware and virtual console downloaded games, you definitely wanna wait so you can transfer those to the new console.

Southpaw Wusky
Oct 23, 2010

Smuckles posted:

I have literally no games for my PS3, as I prefer PC for the "blockbuster" titles. Right now, the PS3 sits there collecting dust as a Netflix conduit. My Wii has gotten more action than my PS3 Slim has in the past year. My girlfriend and I use that to play Wii Sports Resort and Kirby's Dream Course together. Previously we had no interest in the Wii U, but recently we were at a Best Buy that had the Wii U on display.

We sat there for about a half hour playing Rayman together and agreed that the system would be a must-purchase. GameStop has an interesting trade-in bonus of (x2) for any system until the end of the month. After crunching the numbers, that's a lot more than current eBay trends, SA-Mart, and anywhere else that's accepting trade-ins on consoles. Trading my PS3 and Wii will get us within $20 of a Wii U standard edition, though I'd rather the premium one.

I wish GameStop didn't have me by the balls on this one, since I believe they're done with pre-orders. I could easily keep the PS3 and Wii, but I absolutely hate stuff collecting dust. I can't stand having three devices that can do the same thing (Netflix, basically).

How much is Gamestop willing to give for the PS3? I may be willing to buy it from you instead as I've had poo poo luck with finding a working PS3 for anything under $150 locally.

Smuckles posted:

EDIT: With the 10% members trade bonus, it would appear that the PS3 trade would get $198. Sorry, I don't mean to poo poo up the thread with trade-in values and all that. I know CAG exists for a reason.
A lot higher than I expected actually. Used to trade in games there over ten years ago before I knew what I was doing and they paid dirt for them.

Southpaw Wusky fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Oct 23, 2012

pocketbelt
Oct 9, 2012

HRAH
I wonder, though; given that the Wii U is compatible with WiiWare stuff, will it be able to download it all itself from its own store, or does it absolutely need the Wii to transfer from? Have they said anything about that? I know the 3DS can get DSiWare stuff from its own store, which is sort of a precedent.

I traded my first Wii in ages ago then picked up another for Skyward Sword, and now the VC and WiiWare have a lot of poo poo I want/would like to try out, it'd be pretty drat convenient if I could just get it through the Wii U itself.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

Wotalt posted:

How much is Gamestop willing to give for the PS3? I may be willing to buy it from you instead as I've had poo poo luck with finding a working PS3 for anything under $150 locally.

With their promotion, 160GB Slims are getting $180. They sell them for $220 I think. They screw everyone over with their trades, but a promotion like this evens the score a bit. I think PowerUp Rewards members can get a coupon that takes $25 off a used system, btw. I don't know for certain, as I don't really check out that site often.

EDIT: With the 10% members trade bonus, it would appear that the PS3 trade would get $198. Sorry, I don't mean to poo poo up the thread with trade-in values and all that. I know CAG exists for a reason.

greatn posted:

If you have anything of significant value downloaded onto the Wii you should not trade it in yet, you will need the physical Wii to transfer those games over to the U. If Kirby's Dream course is all you have that's fine, but if you're like me and have some ridiculous number of Wiiware and virtual console downloaded games, you definitely wanna wait so you can transfer those to the new console.

Ah, thanks for the heads-up. Dream Course, believe it or not, is all we have. I didn't buy a lot of WiiWare or VC titles for whatever reason. All the games have basically been traded or sold off once I reached the :smith: moment of Wii ownership. To me, Wii was the physical equivalent of Steam: it was often more fun to buy cheap games than play them. The Wii U seems to correct that a bit.

Macintosh HD fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Oct 23, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

The Introvert posted:

I wonder, though; given that the Wii U is compatible with WiiWare stuff, will it be able to download it all itself from its own store, or does it absolutely need the Wii to transfer from? Have they said anything about that? I know the 3DS can get DSiWare stuff from its own store, which is sort of a precedent.

I traded my first Wii in ages ago then picked up another for Skyward Sword, and now the VC and WiiWare have a lot of poo poo I want/would like to try out, it'd be pretty drat convenient if I could just get it through the Wii U itself.

If you're asking whether you'll be able to buy WiiWare on the WiiU eShop then the answer is yes. If you're asking whether you'll be able to transfer WiiWare games from your Wii to your WiiU without them both being present in the same room then the answer is no.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

Smuckles posted:

We sat there for about a half hour playing Rayman together and agreed that the system would be a must-purchase.

Instead of letting your PS3 gather dust, you and your girlfriend could have used it to play the excellent and probably nigh-identical Rayman Origins.

pocketbelt
Oct 9, 2012

HRAH

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

If you're asking whether you'll be able to buy WiiWare on the WiiU eShop then the answer is yes. If you're asking whether you'll be able to transfer WiiWare games from your Wii to your WiiU without them both being present in the same room then the answer is no.

Was asking the former, and that's good news then, I can wait on getting that stuff.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Almost Smart posted:

Instead of letting your PS3 gather dust, you and your girlfriend could have used it to play the excellent and probably nigh-identical Rayman Origins.

Yeah really the PS3's library is rather decent. There's a load of games like Valkyria Chronicles, Disgaea 3 and 4, Uncharted 1,2, and 3, the bunches of HD Anthologies that can be had for real cheap(Tomb Raider, Ico/Shadow, Jak, Ratchet are probably at the top), Sonic Generations(if you have Colors get this it's either it's equal or better), and a good many more like Demon Souls or Dark Souls.

It's a quality system. Definetly worth a purchase especialy if you can find it on sale.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Smuckles posted:

Ah, thanks for the heads-up. Dream Course, believe it or not, is all we have. I didn't buy a lot of WiiWare or VC titles for whatever reason. All the games have basically been traded or sold off once I reached the :smith: moment of Wii ownership. To me, Wii was the physical equivalent of Steam: it was often more fun to buy cheap games than play them. The Wii U seems to correct that a bit.

In that case definitely trade it in, the extra trade in value from the promotion is worth more than the right bucks it will cost you to rebuy it.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

If you're asking whether you'll be able to buy WiiWare on the WiiU eShop then the answer is yes.

Can you provide a source for this?

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

Almost Smart posted:

Try as I might, I can't get her into gaming. She enjoys playing games on the iPhone and iPad, which I'm not the biggest fan of. I use a PC for any "high end" games as they now very rarely have a couch-multiplayer element for friends and she's not going to be interested, anyway. The Wii U seems to have found a nice balance with people who want a console that can compete with the competition as well as cater to the casual crowd.

Vaerai Archon posted:

Yeah really the PS3's library is rather decent. There's a load of games like Valkyria Chronicles, Disgaea 3 and 4, Uncharted 1,2, and 3, the bunches of HD Anthologies that can be had for real cheap(Tomb Raider, Ico/Shadow, Jak, Ratchet are probably at the top), Sonic Generations(if you have Colors get this it's either it's equal or better), and a good many more like Demon Souls or Dark Souls.

It's a quality system. Definetly worth a purchase especialy if you can find it on sale.

Yeah, the PS3 was always a welcomed addition to our living room. My issue with it was that we simply didn't use it. After I built a gaming PC, I stopped buying console games that I could get on Steam. Other than gaming, the PS3 got a lot of use as a media streamer. I started to get fed up with its inability to play nicely with PS3 Media Server for large videos, so I built a low-end PC for media and have that positioned behind the TV. The PS3 did have a lot of nice games and felt like it was assembled with a bit more care than its primary competitor. As a gaming platform for us, though, the Wii U will be able to fill its shoes nicely.

EDIT: For what it's worth, GameStop put us on the wait list, so I'll basically just be waiting that out to use the credit we got. I doubt there's a market for GS giftcards.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Can you provide a source for this?

Nintendo's been saying you'll be able to transfer your VC/WiiWare purchases to your WiiU since Day One, so it's not unreasonable to assume the WiiU eShop will be an extension of the current one.

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."
Well, I caved in and preordered the black Wii U at EBGames today. I was curious to see whether they had any available or not, but they had both White and Black in stock and they were not wait-listed yet. Bizarre.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Nintendo's been saying you'll be able to transfer your VC/WiiWare purchases to your WiiU since Day One, so it's not unreasonable to assume the WiiU eShop will be an extension of the current one.

But The Introvert already said he knew this much. We haven't got anything else concrete to inform him of yet.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

HelloWinter posted:

Well, I caved in and preordered the black Wii U at EBGames today. I was curious to see whether they had any available or not, but they had both White and Black in stock and they were not wait-listed yet. Bizarre.

In Australia you can throw down a preorder anywhere afaik. Compared to the nightmare Wii preorder situation (not to mention release day) it's really quiet. I forgot to pick up ZombiU but that's likely not going to be an issue. Usually it's just the hardware that's rare.

Whether or not there will be a 1:1 ratio of preorders to available consoles is another matter entirely.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They've been saying you may not be able to transfer all your VC stuff from day one, actually.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So is there any idea on if Skylanders Giants and it's hardware is forwards compatable with Wii-U?

If not there's going tobe alot of people angry about plastic videogame men. :colbert:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Vaerai Archon posted:

So is there any idea on if Skylanders Giants and it's hardware is forwards compatable with Wii-U?

If not there's going tobe alot of people angry about plastic videogame men. :colbert:

I'd tentatively say yes, given it connects via USB. I can't think of any reason why Wii games wouldn't be able to sense the WiiU's USB ports.

They've been saying you may not be able to transfer all your VC stuff from day one, actually.

Really? Well don't I look stupid then :doh:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The gamepad has NFC communications, right? You probably won't even need a portal.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

VC transfer isn't a question of whether you can, just when. Wii-U will have Wii mode from day one, it's probably just a matter of putting together the necessary firmware update for Wii.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Detective No. 27 posted:

The gamepad has NFC communications, right? You probably won't even need a portal.

He's asking about the Wii version, not an upcoming one. You're probably right though - I thought the same thing.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Detective No. 27 posted:

The gamepad had nfc.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Vaerai Archon posted:

Yes you can use the Wii portal.

It also comes with its own. I put this in the OP yesterday along with Monster Hunter stuff:

It will also have higher texture density and screen resolution than all other versions.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
And here I thought the Wii U version would just use the gamepad as a portal and be played with a remote+nunchuck, and be a cheaper alternative for people getting into the series. Silly me to think Activision would do something to make it more cost-effective.

netBuff
Nov 7, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

A good poster posted:

And here I thought the Wii U version would just use the gamepad as a portal and be played with a remote+nunchuck, and be a cheaper alternative for people getting into the series. Silly me to think Activision would do something to make it more cost-effective.

Yes, why doesn't Activision do this totally impractical thing I just thought up?

Most kids would probably have to buy a Wii Remote and Nunchuck as well as a sensor bar (Basic Sets in many countries don't include it), while the GamePad comes with every console and allows for Skylanders Wii U to be controlled in a manner similar to the PS3 and 360 versions.

At the same time, the "Portal of Power" is part of the appeal: Awkwardly balancing the figures on the gamepad wouldn't have the same lustre. And selling plastic stuff is the Skylanders business, so Activision would rather sell you more than less.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
What's the deal with Skylanders? Every trailer I've seen seems like a cash in to add webkins to video games and make soccer moms buy their kids a ton of action figures and accessories.

However the game seems quite respected by actual gamers, so there's a really good game in there too? Is it a little of both?

It seems like something that if Nintendo did with Pokemon, they'd spend the rest of their days counting billions of dollars.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

It's just a gimmick to entice kids. It's a very simple action RPG but you have to buy the characters at $10 a pop at a toy store.

GiantBomb has a Quick Look of the new one if you want to know what the game is like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4U-bZUSjDpg

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It's really quite brilliant, I see they have a tie in cartoon too, they've got all their bases covered.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

greatn posted:

It's really quite brilliant, I see they have a tie in cartoon too, they've got all their bases covered.

I have to agree. They could've made a quick crappy game and gone for the fast sale, but it looks like they actually put thought and effort into it to make a solid franchise. I can see why it does so well and what the appeal is.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Skylanders seems pretty awesome and I wish one of my nephews were into it. The Skylanders look like something from a Jim Henson puppet fantasy movie.

I know it's a gimmick and everything but it looks like a lot of fun.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Skylanders seems pretty awesome and I wish one of my nephews were into it. The Skylanders look like something from a Jim Henson puppet fantasy movie.

I know it's a gimmick and everything but it looks like a lot of fun.

Wishing you could use the "I bought it for my kid/relative" defense, huh? I hadn't thought of them as looking muppetesque, but they do look a little something from one his films from the 80's.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wishing you could use the "I bought it for my kid/relative" defense, huh? I hadn't thought of them as looking muppetesque, but they do look a little something from one his films from the 80's.

I guess I was thinking Labyrinth/Neverending Story with some of the monsters.

If it was deep and had a friend to play with I'd probably go ahead and buy a copy. Otherwise, I just my nephew played it so I could get him a few figures for Christmas and that would be my in to try it out. My youngest nephew is 13 and obsessed with Assassin's Creed so I guess I missed the boat.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I guess I was thinking Labyrinth/Neverending Story with some of the monsters.

If it was deep and had a friend to play with I'd probably go ahead and buy a copy. Otherwise, I just my nephew played it so I could get him a few figures for Christmas and that would be my in to try it out. My youngest nephew is 13 and obsessed with Assassin's Creed so I guess I missed the boat.

I've seen the WiiU version of Assassin's Creed 3 and I'm probably not going to get it. I don't think it's bad or anything, just that I have every single other one on the PS3 and I'd like to have the whole set in a nice neat row :spergin:.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well Assassin creed's story is pretty much 13 year old level. Ancient astronauts, 2012, magic artifacts , virtual reality, conspiracy theories, and pre anthropology. With the most generic male lead in gaming history(though the people you vr into are centrally good characters).

It's a good thing the amazing gameplay and environments and historical references make up for all that.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I've seen the WiiU version of Assassin's Creed 3 and I'm probably not going to get it. I don't think it's bad or anything, just that I have every single other one on the PS3 and I'd like to have the whole set in a nice neat row :spergin:.

PS3 also has an exclusive Benedict Arnold mission.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

greatn posted:

Well Assassin creed's story is pretty much 13 year old level. Ancient astronauts, 2012, magic artifacts , virtual reality, and pre anthropology. With the most generic male lead in gaming history(though the people you vr into are centrally good characters).

It's a good thing the amazing gameplay and environments and historical references make up for all that.

Desmond's not a bad protagonist, it's just that the writers seem to only use him as a framing device and nothing more (Ezio and Altair are indeed far better characters though). Revelations fixed that a little with the puzzle subgame (I will say the Lost Archive DLC was surprisingly really fun and interesting), but he'd probably be a lot better written if he were the actual protagonist, so-to-speak.

greatn posted:

PS3 also has an exclusive Benedict Arnold mission.

Oh, really? Sweet. I'd have thought the WiiU version would be the one getting exclusives to tempt buyers.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Oct 24, 2012

pocketbelt
Oct 9, 2012

HRAH
Re; no source on the Wii U being able to buy WiiWare, while the 3DS might not be a good precedent, it can buy DSiWare directly. Though it might be harder to do the same on home consoles, maybe? I won't be getting a Wii U at launch anyway - simply don't have the money - I was just hoping for convenience more than anything.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm the same way, possible fancier graphics be damned I need my series in a neat row of boxes with the same console label. :spergin::respek::spergin:

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh, really? Sweet. I'd have thought the WiiU version would be the one getting exclusives to tempt buyers.

There's a more detailed map you can use to find enemies on the second screen and you can switch weapons on the touchscreen but that's it. http://www.wiitalia.it/2012/06/05/primi-dettagli-per-la-versione-wii-u-di-assassins-creed-3/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

AngryCaterpillar posted:

There's a more detailed map you can use to find enemies on the second screen and you can switch weapons on the touchscreen but that's it. http://www.wiitalia.it/2012/06/05/primi-dettagli-per-la-versione-wii-u-di-assassins-creed-3/

And Gamepad play, of course.

• Locked thread